Projects and Emergencies

You're Getting on My Nerves, Maestro
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The second week of classes ended fairly quickly since the students of the third year were pretty busy. The time passed so fast that it was Tuesday again and the weekly orchestra rehearsal was on that day. This time Kihyun, Hyungwon and Minhyuk were waiting inside because it was getting too cold. It was only September but it was freezing and the rain was pouring. The boys were sitting in the cafeteria trying to warm themselves up. Hyungwon was clinging to the radiator. Minhyuk scrunched his nose.

"Dude, that's why I'm telling you that you should gain weight! You're too skinny and that's the reason why you're always cold." - he said suddenly.

Kihyun snickered.

"You're dumb, Minhyuk. Hyungwon already eats so much that he'd have to eat as much as a baby elephant to gain some weight. And believe me, you wouldn't like that."

Suddenly Hyungwon peeled himself from the heater.

"Talking about food... I got hungry." - he announced and turned his head to the blonde – "Minhyuk, be a nice friend and go buy me a chocolate bar." - he ordered.

"Hey! Who am I, your toy?!" - exclaimed the blonde looking terribly offended - "Go by yourself!"

Hyungwon shook his head.

"That's for calling me skinny." - said the tall one and handed Minhyuk some coins.

The blonde sighed but got up and headed into the vending machine's direction.

"By the way, where the hell is Jooheon?" - asked suddenly Hyungwon as if he just noticed the boy's absence.

"I have no idea, I'm not his mother..." - said Kihyun but in fact, he was wondering where Jooheon was as well – "But he didn't say anything so I think he'll come to the rehearsal."

"Maybe he's so disappointed with having to change his instrument that he resigned?" - suggested the taller brunette and they both giggled.

They stopped and they didn't say anything for a few minutes. Kihyun was surprised how quiet it was without those two noisy blondes.

"I'm going to grab something to eat as well." – he announced breaking the silence and he stood up.

Hyungwon just nodded his head. He was already scrolling through his phone. Kihyun took a look around the room. It looked as if half of the school gathered in the cafeteria this evening. He sighed when he noticed the long queue by the vending machines but he went up there anyway. His stomach was growling. Minhyuk was not there anymore so he had to come back to Hyungwon already. Kihyun crossed his arms and nailed his eyes on the machine's buttons to choose one of the snacks. He felt so bored that he spaced out. He imagined that he was in the practice room playing Chopin instead. Suddenly he felt something bump into him. He jumped in fear and he felt that his shirt was sticking to his body. He groaned and stretched the material. He had a huge stain of something sticky in the front.

"I'm sorry!" - Kihyun heard a deep, panicky voice so he looked up and his eyes met with widened brown ones.

The brunette felt a sudden wave of anger. It was the damn ginger freshman. The boy was standing before him clutching a can of soda. His new white shirt was ruined by sugary Fanta.

"I'm sorry..." - repeated the ginger but Kihyun was so furious that he couldn't say anything so he just twirled around and rushed to the lockers.

He bought it last Sunday with his own money he earned this summer. He highly doubted that he will be able to save it and he had nothing to change. He charged into the locker room and started to unlock his locker hastily. He took his backpack and run to the toilets. He slammed the door and looked at his reflection in the mirror. The orange stain covered almost half of his stomach. He wanted to cry. He took the shirt off, dumped it into the sink and turned the tap on. First time in his life he started considering skipping a class. He just can't show up at the rehearsal half . He wanted to punch something.

"Why..." - he groaned and suddenly heard someone clear his throat.

He turned around and by the next sink, he saw their conductor. He didn't even notice when the man entered the bathroom.

"Mr Son, I-I..." - he stammered.

"Are you ok?" - asked the teacher.

"Er... Not really." - he said in low voice – "I think I won't be able to come to today's rehearsal." - he added in a sad tone and then he realised that Mr Son might not even remember that he is in the orchestra.

The muscular man frowned.

"Oh, no, what happened?" - he asked sounding genuinely concerned – "You're the pianist right?"

"Yes, that's me." - replied Kihyun – "Er... I spilt a drink on my clothes and I have nothing to change." – he added almost inaudibly.

"Hmm..." - murmured the conductor – "I'm afraid that I have no one who can substitute for you today."

Kihyun felt almost as if he was going to freak out.

"But I have an idea." - added Mr Son after a few seconds – "I was planning to go to the gym after the rehearsal so I have a spare sweatshirt. I can borrow it to you."

Kihyun stared at him in pure shock.

"R-really?" - he stuttered.

"Yeah." - replied the teacher – "Just don't spill anything on my clothes." - he added jokingly.

Kihyun spent the few minutes trying to wash the stain off but water didn't help much so he gave up. He wrung the shirt and folded it up when Mr Son came back with the sweatshirt. He handed it to Kihyun and the younger man managed to only shyly stammer out "thank you". When the man left the brunette put the grey sweatshirt on but it was way too big for him since Mr Son was taller and way more musclebound than him.

"I look normal." - he tried to convince his reflection – "It totally looks like it's my own."

He sighed because it didn't work. He glanced at his watch and panicked because he only had 20 minutes till the rehearsal. He put the shirt into a plastic bag and hoped that it wouldn't go mouldy and then he went to the locker room to put his backpack back. When he came back to the cafeteria Minhyuk and Hyungwon were still sitting in the same spot but they both looked terribly bored. As Kihyun approached them Mihnhyuk raised his head from the table and looked at him.

"You were choosing a snack for half an hour?" - he asked in unbelieving tone but before Kihyun had time to reply Hyungwon jumped in.

"What are you wearing?" - he said frowning.

Damn. He never thought that they will notice so quickly.

"Ah, this..." - he replied in low voice – "Some moron spilt his drink on me so I had to change."

"Oh, so that's why you weren't there for so long." - Minhyuk nodded understandingly.

"Right." - hissed Hyungwon – "But why is the sweatshirt so huge?"

Kihyun felt that his face was unpleasantly hot.

"Because... It was meant to be comfy. It's one of the clothes I wear at home. Comfy. Yes." - he stuttered and Hyungwon whispered something to Minhyuk but the latter just shrugged.

"Ok, let's go." - said the tall boy after a while – "I guess that Jooheon won't show up today."

 

They entered the auditorium and most of the instrumentalists were already there. To their surprise, Jooheon was here as well, at the back of the room beside his drums. The blonde was arranging the notation sheets when he suddenly nudged one of his kettledrums and it fell hitting the glockenspiel and everything made a terrible noise. Everyone turned in the direction. The blonde stood stiffly in the middle of the mess covering his ears. The short ginger boy stared at him in pure shock waiting for him to do something.

", sorry." - blurted out Jooheon after a long while of silence and everyone who heard that broke out laughing including the ginger.

"Jooheon, you're a ing idiot!" - yelled someone, and it was Son Gunhee, the trombonist, who was Jooheon's friend.

"Shut up, you er!" - the blonde yelled back and the auditorium filled with laughter once again.

Kihyun hated when the two were together because they were an embodiment of trouble. They were both class clowns. Jooheon with Gunhee was even worse than with Minhyuk. They created chaos everywhere they went.

"Kids!" - they heard someone shout reproachingly.

Of course, it was Mr Son.

"I thought you were a little more mature! I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of high schoolers. I don't know what is going on and I guess I don't want to. I just hope that you'll calm down and work hard today." - he said staring them out.

Everyone came back to preparing themselves and Kihyun and his friends sneaked to their spots.

"Today we'll focus on the parts we had the most troubles with last week." - announced the conductor and Kihyun sighed.

It will be a long rehearsal. The brunette glanced at the freshman who played the glockenspiel and he smirked because the boy looked terribly nervous. When they started playing the problematic part again the boy dropped his stick and Kihyun snorted. Mr Son stopped them.

"Why you're so unfocused today?" - he asked but no one dared to reply.

The conductor looked pretty annoyed today. That day nothing went smoothly and even Kihyun made some mistakes and at the end of the rehearsal, Mr Son looked drained.

"Ok. Before you all go home I have an announcement for you." - said the teacher when they started getting up – "The headmaster told me about a project which you need to complete before the end of the semester if you want to get a passing note for the orchestra classes. In January we will have a concert when all the orchestra members will perform in duos. So please choose your partners."

Everyone stood still for a few seconds processing what the conductor has said and then they rushed in various directions creating an unbelievable turmoil. Kihyun was so tired that before he even had time to even look around the auditorium everyone started running in all directions. When it all stopped Kihyun noticed that Hyungwon was already standing with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter