The first rehearsal

You're Getting on My Nerves, Maestro
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One of the days Yoo Kihyun remembered the best, was the day when his parents bought him a piano. He was 4 back then and he got very excited when he saw the beautiful instrument next to the Christmas tree. He jumped up and down and run around the whole house telling anyone who was willing to listen about how happy he was. He couldn't wait for the time when he will be able to play it just like the musicians his father showed him on the TV. They always watched various music competitions together. That day his mum told him that they had already paid for a whole year of piano classes and his dad warned him that he'll have to practice a lot if he wants to continue. So Kihyun did. He hardly ever missed his classes or rehearsals. During all those years he crossed out a few points of his goal list. One of them was studying music at a university and he managed to achieve it as well. He was now on his third, last year of bachelor's degree. Now he knew that hard work pays off. Everyone knew that Kihyun was a demon of work. People mostly respected or envied him. He didn't have many friends but he didn't care about it that much. He knew that career and fame had its price. Kihyun believed that music was his fate and he wasn't going to give up on his dreams. He wanted to become a well-known pianist, who will play with the best symphonic orchestras in the world.

 

It was 7 in the morning of the second week of classes and Kihyun was already there, in the practice room of the music school. The fingers of his slim hands caressed the piano's keys. The room was filled with the nostalgic tune of Chopin's Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9, No. 2. He was hunched over the black and white keyboard and his eyes were focused on the tattered pages of the music notation. He was so concentrated that even if his ninety-year-old professor danced the cancan in a tight-fitting ballet outfit behind his back he wouldn't care. He was working on this piece the whole summer. Every single day he practised it for at least an hour. He had to be the best. The audition for the school's symphonic orchestra took place last week and the old instrumentalists might get replaced by the freshmen if they aren't good enough so he had to be in shape and he kept practising even though the professors praised him nonstop during the last year. At the back of his head, he knew that, after all, these were just empty words. If there will be someone better than him they will kick him out without batting an eye. He chewed on his lower lip and he kept playing when someone suddenly nudged his back. Kihyun turned around, panting heavily and clutching his chest on the left side when his eyes met with a pair of particularly narrow ones. It was Jooheon, his friend, with whom he had some of their classes. They were both senior, and they both played in the orchestra.

"What the hell you think you're doing?!" - yelled Kihyun, still trying to calm down his heart rate.

Jooheon pouted.

"I was calling you but you didn't hear me..." - he said in a whiny tone – "Oh, and what are you doing here so early? The classes start in an hour."

"I'm frying eggs." - he said dryly and Jooheon threw him a look – "No, I'm practising. Are you blind or what?" - he asked rhetorically.

Kihyun always felt fed up with his university colleagues but Jooheon was one of the very few people he got on well with. Jooheon snorted at his remark. His friend got used to his rather curt attitude.

"Ok, stop it. I have something to tell you." - Jooheon waved a hand in front of his face.

It was supposed to calm him down but it only made Kihyun twist his face.

"Oh, really? I'm all ears." - Kihyun straightened up on the piano's stool.

"You know about the auditions, right?"
"Yeah." - Kihyun threw him a doubtful look.

He highly doubted whether he will say anything that is even a tiny bit interesting. Damn, he was really dumb.

"So I have good news for you... - he made a pause full of anticipation – "No one took your place!" - he smiled brightly and his trademark dimples showed on his face – "In fact, everyone is staying. The freshmen took places only of the last year's seniors." - Jooheon smiled at Kihyun but the latter said nothing. - "Some people just will have to change their instruments."

There were a few seconds of silence when Kihyun finally cleared his throat and spoke.

"I'm not sure if it means that we are so awesome or if it means that this year will be a nightmare because of those newbies. It has never happened before."

As far as Kihyun has remembered the previous 2 years there was always huge rotation in the orchestra.

"Soo... Who is the lucky dog who will stay but has to play a different instrument?" - asked Kihyun after a long while.

It was the only thing which seemed curious to him. Of course, he was sure that he would stay in the band. No one practised as much as him.

Jooheon went pale and looked away. Kihyun smirked. He already knew the answer. The first boy cleared his throat nervously.

"Yeah... They told me that I'll play the kettledrums this year since someone was better than me at playing the other percussion instruments. But it is ok since I can play all of them..."

Even though his word were full of hope Kihyun knew that his friend wasn't happy. Jooheon really wanted to perform more with the orchestra this year but not all pieces included all of the percussion instruments.

"Ayy, what's up, guys?!" - they both suddenly jumped up in fear when they heard the incredibly loud voice of Lee Minhyuk, another one of their friends and classmates. - "Guess what?"

Minhyuk grinned showing his perfectly white teeth.

"I don't know... - replied Kihyun in a lazy manner – Maybe, just maybe, you're in the orchestra this year?"

Minhyuk eyes widened.

"How did you know?"

Jooheon sighed.

"Everyone remained on the team this year, you . Did you read the list or not?"

"I just looked for my name. Who do you think am I? Why should I care? I only care about mine future. Probably just like you two." - Minhyuk stuck out his tongue.

The guy was such a kid. Even though he was 22 already, just like Kihyun, he was way more immature. At least that was what he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter