Chapter 29

Claimed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The phone buzzed again but one look at the sender and Wonwoo ignored it. It was already dark so it could only be Mingyu telling him he was going back for the day, along with his usual goodnight wish. Still finishing his project with the free software he installed a few weeks prior, the architectural student stretched a bit, satisfied when he heard the crack, and continued inserting the few details for the 3D model of the apartment he needed to submit the following week. Deciding to take a break after two hours, Wonwoo finally got up to pour himself a glass of juice to quench his thirst.

 

Another buzz was heard and again, although still very much reluctant, he took another look at the sender. It was Hansol, asking him about his progress on the task he was doing. They might be in the same year due to his break last year, but Wonwoo still considered it his responsibility to ensure this junior of his graduate on time. Unlocking his phone, Wonwoo cursed as he mistakenly clicked on Mingyu’s mail instead of his junior’s due to his wet thumb.

 

‘Tsk.’ Now the alpha was going to see a small ‘seen’ notification beneath his messages. After all his efforts to ignore the hundreds of messages from the man…

 

Quickly pressing the home button, Wonwoo opened the mail he intended to read in the first place. Wait. He thought he just saw the word ducks in Mingyu’s message. What about ducks?

 

…Since he technically already ‘read’ the messages, it wouldn’t make any difference he actually DO read it anyway… so…

 

I think the ducks migrated :( Now there’s only swans. Anyways, I’m going back now. Goodnight. - Mingyu

 

Owh, well, it’s already autumn so that was a given right? Wondering about that random message, Wonwoo scrolled back up to read all the other messages, curious to see if there was anything else the man wrote. He never noticed because, he never opened even one of them. He just read them from the notification just to see who it was from, and the moment he saw the name, he would put his phone down.

 

It’s raining. Today . I’ll be here as usual. - Mingyu

 

I made friends with the swan. I think it’s the male one. I’m going back now. Goodnight. - Mingyu

 

Some cat just showed up and slept beside me :3 She’s pregnant! Btw, I’m going back. Goodnight. - Mingyu

 

Cat? He never saw any cat around campus before. And just based on the texts, he never knew there were that many animals at the lake. He only ever saw ducks and frogs. Pregnant cat? That, he would like to see. But since the alpha would be there everyday until nighttime, there was no way he would go anywhere near that place. Maybe, if he was lucky, he could see the cat around the cafes or restaurants? She needed to eat right? Which meant, someone must be feeding her. And his best bet was the ladies working there.

 

God he was curious.

 

*****

 

‘Aigoo!’ Wonwoo felt someone threw a back hug over him, warming him up from the cold weather. He didn’t need to turn around to know it was Jun, who had been complaining about his jacket not being warm enough. They argued about it, and Wonwoo chose to wear it everyday to prove his point but Jun was right, the jacket looked badass, but it was useless. But there was no way he was going to admit that, because then, his friend would be right and would keep on mentioning it forever. Feeling something being inserted into his pockets, Wonwoo realized it was hot packets. ‘Just admit the jacket .’

 

‘It’s warm.’

 

‘Yeah. I thought you’re a corpse.’ And right after he said that, he got three more heat packs - two from Hansol and another from Minghao. All three of them suddenly commented on the jacket, attacking him mercilessly until he had to admit he made the wrong choices. Glaring at Jun who gave him his silly grin, Wonwoo felt his phone buzzed and quickly looked at it.

 

I’m already here. It’s cold so wear warm clothes :) - Mingyu

 

‘He’s still going there?’ He lifted his head at Minghao, nodding slightly, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. Everybody knew about Mingyu waiting for him everyday at the exact spot even without Wonwoo having to tell them because they stumbled upon him a few times. But it seemed, after he told them about what the alpha was doing, his friends decided to avoid going to the place, in case they would end up making things more complicated. ‘It’s been 2 months?’

 

‘Yeah.’

 

‘You should ask him to stop.’ Minghao continued. Though he hated what Mingyu did to his friends, he couldn’t stand how Wonwoo let him do that without the intention of seeing the male either. Among his friends, the younger beta was the most emphatic towards other, no matter who, and he was not afraid to voice it out.

 

‘I did.’ He did, the first time he got the message, the second time, the next week; he gave up after that. He thought ignoring the alpha would make him stop but apparently not. It was already December, and he thought the cold weather would break his spirit but again, he was wrong. So obviously, he was not the bad one here.

 

‘He’ll give up eventually. Come on.’ Jun placed his arm over his junior’s shoulder and gestured for them to keep walking. They were on the way to Minghao’s place for a gaming session. Looking back towards the campus gate, Wonwoo stopped, ‘Guys. I think I’ll get some rest. I don’t feel so good.’ He was not lying, he didn’t feel great. He stomach had been acting weird since noon and there were nothing he could do to make it feel better.

 

Bidding his goodbyes, Wonwoo jogged back inside, waiting for the campus bus to take him near his dorm. Once inside the safety of his room, he took off the jacket and quickly turn himself into a human burrito, sleeping a few moments later.

 

When he woke up again, two hours had already passed but he didn’t feel any better.

 

*****

 

Flipping his notebook, Mingyu stopped as he saw the keyword he was looking for. Although the name would suggest otherwise, Endocrine and Reproductive System was not an interesting class for him. Currently, his favourite would be neurology, which was mentioned frequently in the subject he was revising, but for the most part, the only thing that kept him in the class was the fact that he needed a pass to graduate and become a doctor. That was it.

 

Turning onto his stomach on the yoga mat he brought, Mingyu started scribbling as he tried to remember everything he learned today. Since it was already December, night came rather quickly so he only had two hours left of sunlight before he would have to go back to his room. Not to mention, it gets really cold at night, and today was colder than usual so he didn’t want to be here longer than he needed.

 

He had been waiting here, everyday ever since he got the DNA result back. Every single weekdays, from the time he got off from class until it gets dark, for the past two months, maybe three. He asked Wonwoo to meet him every time, but the man never did. He wouldn’t blame him. Mingyu did, almost killed him. If his memory of that night was correct, it was a miracle Wonwoo was even alive and running around. Away from him.

 

...this scent…

 

...Wonwoo?

 

Mingyu lifted up his head and looked around for the omega but there was still nobody around. Pulling out his headphones and putting his notes into the bag, Mingyu sat, facing the lake, trying not to get excited. He could hear slow footsteps making its way towards him and held his breath, peeking to the left at the source of the sound until he saw his omega, seemingly reluctant to take another step forward. Seeing that hesitation, Mingyu sighed and hid his scent, trying to calm the man enough so he could at least get closer to the lake so they could talk without having to shout at each other. And it worked as a few minutes later, Wonwoo got further from the slope, and closer towards him, though only a few steps.

 

‘You came.’ He finally started, and he knew the other heard him because his hold on his own arm got tighter. He didn’t even say anything threatening and yet, that was Wonwoo’s reaction. It didn’t feel good at all.

 

‘Are you cold?’ There was no answer. Thought so. ‘Why are you here?’ Still nothing. his lips and taking a deep breath so he wouldn’t burst, he gave up on the useless attempt to chitchat. ‘I got the result.’

 

‘I told you I don’t need it.’ Finally. Damn that bass...

 

‘I know. But I did it anyway.’ Mingyu took the envelope out of his bag and stood up to give it to the omega but before he could even make it a few inches, he saw the panic in the latter’s eyes, his legs in a stance indicating his readiness to escape. That was almost similar to the face he was making that night… Frowning, Mingyu suggested, ’I’ll just put it right in the middle and come back here. I won’t come near you.’

 

Thank god he watched enough action movies to think about that negotiation technique. Getting back to his mat, he noticed Wonwoo eyeing his every movement, just like a scared puppy. How it bothered him. ‘Go on.’ He signaled.

 

‘I don’t need it.’

 

‘And yet, you’re here.’ He knew it was inappropriate, but he really enjoyed the slight shame in that beautiful face as the omega couldn’t find a word to counter that attack. Hey, he was frustrated too. He waited here, everyday, sunshine or rain, until nighttime, surrounded by animals and insects, for the past two months, waiting for the man to come. He deserved to enjoy at least this much triumph. ‘Are you gonna keep on standing?’

 

‘The rocks hurt.’ Mingyu smiled at that answer. He didn’t recall the man ever saying that when he sat here last time they were together. That was cute. Getting up again, he let out a loud sigh when again, Wonwoo went full alert.

 

‘Relax. I’m just putting this here.’ He left another yoga mat and got back to his own. ‘It’s more comfortable to sit on this.’

 

‘I’m not staying.’

 

‘Anything you say.’ Mingyu turned towards the lake, pretending not to care. And sure enough, Wonwoo was still there, just standing, staring at the envelope. ‘Aren’t you going to at least take a look? Since you’re alrea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter