Phase 4: Beginning [1.0]

Centum Viginti

Sehun nervously walked unto the illuminated, circular platform in the middle of the wedding reception hall. She’s never, danced before in her entire life. Well, as much as that was a blatant lie, she didn’t find herself as a passable dancer per se. She remembered practicing with Kai a few times when they dated, but it was mostly her stepping on his feet and him suppressing a groan instead of them actually dancing. Feeling a tight squeeze on her hand, Sehun looked to her husband to meet with his reassuring smile. He bent down slightly towards her ear and whispered.

 

“It’ll be okay, you’ve practiced—remember?”

 

Sehun pouted, she was never one to get embarrassed most of the time, but she didn’t even want to know how it felt like either.

 

“Um, can’t we just skip to when the guests come up here and dance—”

 

Cutting off his wife, Kai pulled her hand and brought her to the middle of the dance floor.

 

“Relax, you’re good at dancing.”

 

“I’m not!”

 

Sehun protested in a harsh whisper, but she instantly gulped nervously when she felt every pair of eyes in the room fall on both of them. That was enough pressure from the crowd already.

 

“Hey, look at me.” Kai’s hot breath tickled her ear when he caught her chin in between his forefinger and thumb. “It’s our wedding. Not theirs.”

 

Sehun smiled when Kai landed a soft kiss unto her nose, guiding her right hand onto his shoulder as he connected and clasped their free hands. Kai’s left hand went down and positioned it gently on her waist as he brought her closer to him.

 

“Follow my lead okay?”

 

As the music played with Sehun’s nod, Kai moved his left leg lightly and gently, and Sehun followed suit by stepping back with her right. Of course, the basic box dancing wasn’t difficult; what would come in a few seconds was something that worried her more.

 

Their feet glided through the dance floor as they made their way from the centre of the platform and slowly made their way around it.

 

Sehun kept her eyes trained on Kai’s brown orbs, not at all realising that her nervousness has vanished into thin air despite the strong gazes of the guests in the room. Slowly, Kai changed their steps and they did small circular motions. They kept their eyes trained, with Sehun following his every step and eventually, he pulled them apart until their hearts met and beat against each other.

 

Sehun dropped her hand from Kai’s shoulder instantly as she took her dress and lifted it up slightly to move freely around. Step after step, their twirling intensified and Sehun couldn’t help but me mesmerised by Kai’s eyes.

 

She’s looked into them more than a thousand times, but it seemed as if she was drowning in his deep coffee orbs. Sehun has never felt more protected and secure in all her life, despite being under her brother’s wings. Day and night, she was always on alert as if someone was going to take her life—and it wasn’t an exaggeration either.

 

But every time she was with Kai, there wasn’t a time that she was worried about losing her life.

 

Sehun.”

 

His soft whisper broke her momentum and made her take a wrong step. Fortunately, it was the end of the dance, and Kai managed to catch her by her waist before she met the floor. A light gasp escaped her lips as she let go of her dress and clung onto Kai’s arm. A smiled etched on her face as Kai brought their foreheads together; landing a soft kiss on her lips.

 

The guests got off their seats, clapping and cheering as Kai brought his wife into his arms. Sehun melted in his brief embrace and got off the platform hand in hand as they headed for their head table, where Kai’s parents, Luhan, Kris and Chanyeol were seated at.

 

Kai kept his hand clasped with Sehun as he received the microphone from their DJ. All the while as he thanked the guests for coming, Kai’s eyes kept going back and forth from them to Sehun. But every time he laid his gaze on his wife, his eyes lingered a little longer than they were supposed to.

 

“So, thank you once again for coming to our wedding. Please, help yourselves!”

 

The guests didn’t have to be told twice as they got off their seats and made way to the buffet trays. One by one they lined and took turns, placing their favourite dishes and desserts on fresh plates.

 

“We’ve set aside our portions,” Mrs Kim told, smiling dotingly towards Sehun. “You danced beautifully earlier.”

 

Sehun let out a shy laugh, looking to her brother seated on her left.

 

“Luna’s not here yet?”

 

Initially, the woman was supposed to go with Kris—but Chanyeol came at the door instead this morning. Sehun didn’t even get to ask why.

 

“She won’t be able to make it.” Kris responded as he gave a side-eye to Chanyeol, “Something came up.”

 

Sehun frowned but decided to brush things off. She was afraid her day might be ruined if she prodded further.

 

“SO!”

 

The whole table gasped loudly in surprise when Luhan abruptly yelled.

 

“Oh sorry,” the man gave a sheepish grin, but nonchalantly rested his palm on his chin again. “But are you excited about the honeymoon!”

 

Kai’s eyes widened before they narrowed, sending a death glare to his cousin. But it was too late.

 

“Honeymoon? I thought you said there wouldn’t be one?” Kris’ voice sounded wary, as if he was against his sister being away from the country.

 

Sehun shook her head aggressively, “There isn’t. Didn’t you remember what I said in the restaurant?” She turned to Luhan and wore a lopsided smile on her face, hiding her disappointment. “There won’t be a honeymoon. Well, at least not yet.”

 

Kai thought that things would finally come back down, until his mother had to add.

 

“Oh, I thought Kai planned to—”

 

“Okay honey, I’m pretty sure he wanted to tell her himself.

 

Mr Kim elbowed his wife and threw a deadpanned look, making her and Luhan look away in realisation.

 

“Tell me what?” Sehun was still confused.

 

Her husband finally let out a huge sighed as he placed his utensils down and drew a defeated smile on his lips. He turned his head to Sehun and took her hand in his.

 

“We’re going for our honeymoon after the wedding,” he told, Sehun’s eyes turning into globes. “Though this wasn’t exactly how I planned to break it to you.”

 

Kai’s eyes turned to look to his mother and Luhan, who only had their eyes fixated on the food on their plates.

 

“Wh—but why didn’t you tell me we were going to go somewhere?”

 

“Because you’d plan for it,” Kai stated the obvious. “It’s not that far, so don’t worry about your luggage. We’ll bring it with us in the meantime.”

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

 

Sehun changed out to a pink lace tube dress which stopped just above her thigh and pulled over a black, floor-length cardigan. Her hair was finally let down as she brushed her thick locks before placing a headband to hold her hair in place. She looked around the room—her room.

 

She didn’t think she’d be leaving so soon as her eyes trained to the photo frame on her study table. She let out a sigh as she moved from her mirror and walked to take the frame off. Sehun plopped onto the bed and ran her fingers onto the frame. She used to see this photo almost all the time whenever she studied, but ever since she graduated and spent lesser time on the table; she almost forgot the picture was ever there. It was a picture of when her family was still—whole. When her family was still complete.

 

She was barely a year old in the picture, and Kris was only 8? 9?

 

The picture was the only thing that reminded her of how her parents looked like. But she could never remember their faces in memories. It was as if, the first five years of her life was unclear. All she could see was—Kris.

 

The door suddenly creaked open, revealing the said man in his casual tee and sweatpants. Sehun looked to the door and wore a broken smile when Kris noticed the photograph in her hands. Her brother returned the smile and plopped down next to her as he rested an arm around her shoulder.

 

“You miss them?”

 

Sehun didn’t know how to reply.

 

“I just wished they could’ve lived to see this day.”

 

Kris let out a sigh and pulled her closer into half an embrace. “I wished they could have too,” he took the photograph away from her hands, but there was no smile on his face. “They meant the world to me Sehun, and I’m pretty sure they would’ve meant the same to you if they lived long enough.”

 

Sehun watched Kris’ expression through the reflection on the photograph, realising that it must’ve broken him so much when he thought they’d be coming home to celebrate his birthday. But the unimaginable happened instead.

 

Ever since then, he never celebrated his own birthday.

 

Sehun wrapped her arms around his waist and sighed, “I love you Kris. Thank you for being a mom, a dad, and a loving brother to me.” A lone tear escaped her eye as she felt Kris’ arms circling her body. “I don’t know what I would’ve been without you.”

 

Sehun meant everything to Kris ever since the death of their parents. Despite her adamant behaviour of avenging their elders, Kris has placed his sister as the most essential person in his life and vowed to protect her at all costs. But of course, he would never want to imagine a world where they’d betray each other. Neither of them did.

 

“I love you too, Sehun.” Kris whispered, “And I hope you’d never stop being loyal to me. Even when you’re married to Kai.

 

Sehun didn’t know why but Kris’ seemed to place an unusual emphasis when he mentioned Kai’s name.

 

“Well,” Kris released his arms and drew a smile across his face. “You should get going, he’s waiting for you downstairs.”

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

 

“But why Jeju?”

 

Kai placed his duffel bag to the cabin compartment as Sehun looked to the setting sun before turning her gaze to her husband.

 

“My parents have a log house there which gets invigilated once in a while by my father’s helpers. They live nearby, and the area is basically—” he plopped down and turned his head to give her a wry smile, “Off-limits to tourists.”

 

Sehun widened her eyes and raised both her brows as she broke eye contact. She didn’t know what Kai wanted to mean by saying things like that but then he added—

 

“We’re practically alone there.”

 

His wife blushed and instantly kept her eyes trained onto her laps. Of course, she expected things like this but not too soon. Kai bellowed, his laugh sounded like music to her ears before he pulled down the cover of the airplane window.

 

“Why don’t you get some rest,” he took her fingers into his hand and planted a soft kiss on them. “It might take about 2 hours, and you had quite a long day.”

 

We had a long day Kai.”

 

Sehun gave her husband a small smile and rested her head onto his shoulder, fluttering her eyes shut. Their hands found and clasped each other, and they soon fell into a slumber; one that Sehun had always dreamed of having. Right by Kai’s side.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

a/n: tad bit late I know! But looks like their journey will continue quite shortly, what do you think will happen in Jeju? Leave some comments down below and I’ll see you in another chapter soon! xoxo