Phase 5: Game [2.0]

Centum Viginti

Baekhyun bit on his fingernails, almost hard enough to rip them off and bleed. So many of their men were either critically injured, permanently crippled and others— killed. He knew Kris was brutal but this was not what he expected. 

 

And to go as far as to ambush them in broad daylight, on his sister’s wedding day, Kris was insane

 

The heads of their group hasn’t been visiting them and Baekhyun didn’t know just how many men they’ve lost. He knew they should’ve kept a low profile. And that was what he has been doing ever since he was given the duty to oversee their men's whereabouts and movements. 

 

Baekhyun had to admit, because they’ve been in hiding for too long, the updates he received were often delayed. They weren’t real time updates and Baekhyun has been facing this handicap ever since their men started leaving the organisation one by one. 

 

Their arguments, despite being valid, were still selfish.

 

‘How can we work for a union that insists on staying low?’

‘This organisation isn’t going to last if we don’t do something.’

‘Never once has the first leader showed his face to us since telling us to disperse!’

 

Baekhyun knew most of them were devoted to the union due to loyalty. It was an important quality in underground organisations. But not all of them were happy with the decision to lay low after the reign of a new leader.

 

Especially when what their previous leader did was not wrong. 

 

20 years ago, after the civil war between Sangria and Zaffre broke out, Sangria was considered to be one of the most feared and powerful unions. That was until Zaffre started to have Kris as their leader 10 years after the incident. 

 

Though they never went head to head since, Sangria had their leader changed 3 years later. But what they never thought was that their new leader would ask them to disperse and disseminate; to go into hiding in order to avoid facing Zaffre head on again. The man that took over his grandfather was promising and strong, but he was only 19 years of age when he took over. 

 

His grandfather did not have a son of his own but a daughter instead. When his daughter gave birth to a son, it was already written that once it was time, the child would be the one taking over the union. 

 

Those who agreed at first, stayed in the union and while those who left, merely accused the boy of being a coward who cannot continue his grandfather’s legacy. But when he revealed that he wanted to reconcile with Sangria, more and more of the members disagreed. 

 

Killing both the heads of Zaffre was not a mistake; nor was it wrong. The reasons his grandfather had to eliminate them was rational. And suggesting to join forces with their rivals was not even something they should consider.

 

Baekhyun was scared. Their numbers were depleting and with Kris finding out their hideout, which was never supposed to exist in the first place since their leader specifically instructed them to disperse, the chances of them winning another power struggle were slim.

 

A shiver ran down his spine as he thought about the possibility of losing his lover.

 

Chen, Chen!” Baekhyun’s voice filled the silent room as he called out for his subordinate. He needed someone, anyone. The door soon flew opened and revealed a man with soft, copper brown locks. “Where—”

 

The man let out a soft gasp of surprise, lips quivering as he got off his swivel chair. He closed his laptop shut and swallowed dryly when he was pulled into an inviting embrace by the man before him. His once tense body instantly relaxed when the other rubbed comforting circles up and down his back.

 

“Baekhyun, relax.” 

 

Luhan…” Baekhyun whispered the man’s name in relief. “You’re alive… you’re okay…

 

The man hummed and ran his fingers through Baekhyun’s violet locks. “It’s alright, I’m here now.” Luhan’s voice was warm and sweet, making Baekhyun’s breathing even out again. “It must’ve been hard on you to handle this alone, wasn’t it?”

 

Baekhyun nodded and buried his face into his chest. Even though they were three years apart, he kept forgetting that Luhan was the one who’s younger; especially since the other was the one who was always comforting the other. But his eyes instantly shot open once more when he smelled a familiar but revolting smell on Luhan’s leather jacket. 

 

He didn’t think twice to push the man away, cupping his nose as he wore a pained look on his face.

 

“You were with her, weren’t you…” Baekhyun eyes averted from Luhan’s jacket to the ground. 

 

Luhan sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose briefly. “Baekhyun, you understand don’t you?”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes flickered in between anger and sadness. He fluttered them shut and let out a shaky breath. “Please don’t hug me if you smell like her.”

 

The petite man let out a wistful sigh and was about to leave the room when Luhan seized his wrist. “Hey come on, don’t be like this.”

 

“Luhan, we haven’t seen each other for six months!” Baekhyun blurted. “You could’ve at least called or texted me, do you know how anxious I’ve been?” 

 

He snatched his arm away and let out a suppressed sob, “You know how I’d feel if you didn’t contact me, so why didn’t you at least leave me an update?” Baekhyun felt more tears springing at the corners of his eyes. 

 

“I know your job requires you to travel, I understand that. I know you have to be with her under specific circumstances, I understand that. And I know you have to be by your cousin’s side now, I understand that.” 

 

He snivelled and dropped to the ground as he felt his body weakened. It was always like this; he always felt insecure and distressed whenever Luhan was not around him. The past six months felt like an eternity. He couldn’t eat nor sleep properly. He felt fear almost everyday and what hurt him more was the fact that Luhan probably didn’t care at all.

 

“Baekhyun—”

 

“No.” Baekhyun closed his ears with his palms. He hated how he liked liked the way Luhan called his name. 

 

“Byun Baekhyun.” Luhan tried one more time, kneeling on one knee to meet the other’s eyes. 

 

“Go away Luhan.” 

 

Baekhyun knew he didn’t want Luhan to. Especially after not seeing him for so long. But he didn’t want to be the only one who was clingy. 

 

He felt a soft pair of lips latch themselves onto his forehead gently before a hand cup a side of his cheek.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes were glassy and red, Luhan almost felt bad for making the man cry. But it was something he wanted to see. Something that only he can see. When the former didn’t answer, Luhan planted another kiss on his nose.

 

“Baekhyun— answer.” 

 

A shiver ran down his spine when he heard how low and rough Luhan’s voice sounded.

 

But there was still no response. A smirk crept on Luhan’s lips, he knew exactly what the older wanted to do. As if he could read his mind, Luhan backed away when he felt Baekhyun advanced forwards.

 

“Hm, did you want to kiss—”

 

Before he could finish, Luhan felt a pair of arms circle around his neck as he gets pulled down further. A pair of lips connected themselves to his own without warning, but the lips weren’t the only things Luhan tasted.

 

Baekhyun’s saline tears were the last thing he tasted before the other pulled away. Luhan didn’t manage to say anything but Baekhyun was ready to get on his feet and leave the room.

 

But of course, the younger was always stronger.

 

Pulling him into his lap, Luhan locked the petite man into a half embrace with one arm while the other hand cupped his chin. Baekhyun looked away but found himself flinching when he felt Luhan’s thumb swipe across his lower lip.

 

“Baekhyun, did you really want me to go away?”

 

Being in a dark room only heightened his senses, but Baekhyun couldn’t help keeping his eyes shut.

 

A loud gasp left his lips when he felt Luhan’s tongue trail across his collarbone.

 

“Sto—”

 

Luhan continued to on the pale skin hard enough to leave purplish mark.

 

“Lu— han!” Baekhyun instantly grabbed and stopped his hand that managed to sneak under his shirt, eyes widening in shock at how bold Luhan’s move was. It wasn’t supposed to be shocking since it wouldn’t be the first time but…

 

“Baekhyun—”

 

“I don’t!” The older man instantly answered, loosening his grip on Luhan’s arm. “I don’t want you to…”

 

Luhan’s lips carved a smile. He planted another long kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead and let out a sigh.

 

“I’m sorry,” He muttered under his breath as he brought the guy closer to his chest as if he was cradling a child. Both his arms circled themselves around Baekhyun’s body as he tightened his hold. “I really wanted to call you, but if I heard your voice— I probably would’ve instantly booked a ticket home.”

 

Baekhyun wrapped his own arms around Luhan’s stomach and hid his face into the crook of Luhan’s neck. Unlike his jacket, his neck smelled more of his cologne than that woman’s perfume.

 

“You won’t leave so soon, will you?”

 

Luhan glanced down and met Baekhyun’s eyes, “Not any time soon.” he told, sending another peck onto Baekhyun’s forehead. “But we’re in a lot of trouble, aren’t we.”

 

Baekhyun his lips and heaved another sigh as he sat upright, “Yeah. He’s not going to be happy at all, is he?”

 

Luhan gave the other a blatant shrug, “We’ll probably find out later.”

 

“Later?”

 

"Luhan brushed a thumb over Baekhyun’s cheek once more and nodded his head, “Yup.” He told, combing his fingers through Baekhyun’s soft locks again.

 

“He’s here.”



 


 

“Kai?”

 

Sehun’s ears perked up when the doors of Kai’s house flew open. The shuffling of his feet neared as he switched the lights on. 

 

“Where were you?”

 

Kai’s lips parted as if he wanted to say something. But nothing came out when he could only stare at Sehun’s red and puffy eyes. 

 

It wasn’t a good start.

 

He didn’t think his marriage would face a slump so soon— heck, he didn’t even think anything would happen this early. Placing the bag he had in his hand on the dining table, the man trudged closer and plopped down beside his wife. His hands instantly flew up to cup her cheeks; thumbs circling and wiping the tear tracks that stained her fair skin.

 

“Sorry Sehun, I left to get you something.” He removed his hands and pulled her into an embrace. He couldn’t imagine how much she was suffering to have lost her only friends. Sehun wasn’t one who knew how to make friends. Kai wasn’t sure how she was before University, but the girl wasn’t really approachable. “You must be hungry. We left without even eating anything and it’s already—”

 

“I’m fine Kai,” Sehun managed to breathe, wrapping her arms around his waist as she planted her face into the crook of his neck. “I just…”

 

When her hold around his waist tightened, Kai brought his fingers up to press his hand against her head. He could feel her trembling under his touch and as the moments passed, it didn’t look like she was going to let her go.

 

“Are you sure you shouldn’t have stayed at your brother’s house for today?”

 

Sehun pulled away and shook her head vigorously, “No.”

 

Her hands didn’t know where to place themselves until Kai held onto them, squeezing and bringing her cold fingers to his lips. “Hey, it’s going to be okay.” He whispered, bringing her forehead to his lips. “Did they find out the cause of her death?”

 

Sehun gulped. felt hoarse and dry. 

 

“...I—” she looked up into Kai’s eyes. What would they look like if they were to find out that Jessica was murdered. Or worse, how would they look at her once he finds out that it was her brother that murdered her. 

 

Sehun casted her eyes downwards and let out a shaky breath. 

 

“I’m thirsty.” was the only thing she could mutter. 

 

Kai didn’t press any further and left for the kitchen to come back with a glass of warm water. He pressed the glass against her cold hands and watched as she downed the glass in one go. Sehun buried her face into her palms once she placed the empty glass onto the coffee table. 

 

What was going to happen now?

How should she face her brother?

 

She looked to Kai and remembered her brother’s words; would Kai ever accept her still if he knew who she really was? Was he going to—

 

“—leave me?” 

 

Kai raised his brows, “Hm? Did you say something?”

 

Sehun was about to ask him once more when her phone rang— Kris.

 

Kai looked at the caller ID and scooted closer as he reached out for her still quivering hands. He didn’t know what exactly was going on, but something told him that Sehun didn’t want to talk to Kris at all. Well, at least for now.

 

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.” He rubbed comforting circles around her knuckles and wore a warm smile.

 

The ringing stopped momentarily but her phone started to vibrate once more. Kris wasn’t going to stop calling.

 

“Would you like me to answer instead?” Sehun looked to Kai and back to her phone. 

 

“I…” She pulled her lips back and took her phone into her free hand, staring long and hard until the call dropped again.

 

Of course, again, Kris called for the third time.

 

Kai didn’t wait for Sehun to say anything before picking up the call himself, “Hi Kris.”

 

Sehun watched with shock in her eyes as Kai answered the call. Her heart beat wildly against its cages as she thought of all the things Kris could disclose. He wouldn’t do that, would he?

 

“Yes she’s home and safe, with me.” Kai told and Sehun wasn’t sure if it was just her imagination, but it really felt like there was a hint of malice in his words. “She’ll be okay, I’ll tell her you called.” 

 

Kai tapped the ‘end call’ button and slipped his wife’s phone into his back pocket. He looked to his wife and wore a smile on his face, “I’ll hold onto your phone for tonight.”

 

Sehun wore a questioning look on her face, “But—”

 

“I have a feeling he might call you again,” Kai confessed his worry, tucking a strand of Sehun’s hair behind her ear. “You need to rest, you had a long day.”

 

Sehun wanted to argue but even her body understood how exhausted she was. Giving a tired nod, Sehun dragged herself up and off the couch as she made way to what used to be only Kai’s bedroom.

 

Once she disappeared, Kai fished out his own phone and sent a quick text. It was probably a bit too late into the night, but this will have to do.

 

As much as he wanted to stall, Kai had to admit; their marriage will be one rocky journey… 



 

***


 

a/n: wow this took a whole year! I’m so sorry, it’s been such a hectic year and i can’t believe we’re almost entering september again. Hope this chapter will be able to quench your thirst for now! Till next time, xoxo