Phase 2: Meeting [1.0]

Centum Viginti

Kai dropped down onto his knees when Luhan swung his leg back and threw a final kick, right into the—

 

“Goal!”

 

The latter had both his fists out with one pumping the air as he jumped for joy after scoring his winning goal. He stretched out both his arms, running around the futsal pitch as Kai watched him with a light expression and a defeated smile painted across his face. The latter sat with one leg propped up and an arm resting above his knee, finally feeling relieved that he got to at least breathe and take a break from his hectic life.

 

“Not bad, I thought I could at least beat you this time.” Kai laughed when Luhan crashed into him, resting his whole weight onto his cousin.

 

“Are you kidding, you’ve never beaten me in any sport!” Luhan rolled his eyes playfully, “Especially anything that concerns balls.

 

Luhan ed his gaze downwards for a brief second, raising both his brows and carving a Cheshire smile on his lips as he met Kai’s eyes. The latter raised a brow in confusion when he saw the mischievous gleam in his eyes, only realising what Luhan meant only two seconds later. He widened both his eyes and raised a palm to hit him, but the other managed to block it by rolling away; laughing at how slow Kai was.

 

“Wow, old age has really gotten to you hasn’t it!” Luhan bellowed, shaking his head as he wiped away a tear from his eye. “Man, despite being the same age, we just don’t joke around the same way, do we?”

 

Kai rolled his eyes again and heaved a groan as he pushed himself off the grass patch. He went over to Luhan’s side, reaching out a hand to pull the other up before dragging themselves to the benches. Tugging out a fresh towel from his bag, Kai plopped down onto the bench, but not before handing Luhan a bottle of isotonic drink.

 

“So, how are the wedding plans going on?”

 

Kai let out a satisfied ‘aah’ sound from his lips and tilted his head back, feeling the beads of perspiration trickle down from his forehead to his throat.

 

“Can’t believe I’m saying this but, things are going well so far.” Kai breathed out as he opened his eyes and turned his gaze towards his cousin.

 

Kai couldn’t admit more that the time to wed could’ve been postponed to a less busy year, especially with his new post. Being an acting Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) was already exhausting. He wasn’t even officially positioned as a CMO. All he does now is shadow the current CMO who would soon be leaving for Japan as an expat for five years soon.

 

The man groaned and pursed his lips. Now that he thought about it, it would’ve been better for them to next year. Especially when the current CMO was no pushover.

 

Luhan gave a short giggle when he saw the sudden change in Kai’s expression, “Suho’s been tough huh?”

 

Kai grimaced and rapidly shook his head, “Tough? More like breathing down my neck round the clock!” He flailed his hands forwards as emphasis, making his cousin jerk his head back as he let out another roar. “Suho is crazy!”

 

Luhan slowly died down his laughter, resting his elbows on his knees as he watched Kai fumbling through his bag in search for his ringing phone. Well, at least it was ringing. The latter’s expression was stoic when he sharply turned his head to Luhan again.

 

“See?”

 

Luhan’s eyes squinted as he read what was on the screen of his phone, stifling a laugh when he saw the number of missed calls – 47 to be exact – and all from one person.

 

“Sehun doesn’t even call me these many times in a month!”

 

Raising both his brows, Luhan wasn’t even surprised. Sehun never passed off as someone who was clingy, nor was she someone in need of dire attention. He remembered a few of Kai’s exes; most of which were only in a relationship with him mainly because he looks way hotter than the afternoon sun in July. But being part of the student council didn’t really help in sustaining any of his relationships. Well, until he met Sehun… or was it the other way around…

 

“Wait a minute… your parents aren’t even back from their business trip, are they?”

 

Kai drew a sheepish smile, gulping down a bottle as he shrugged. “They will be coming back, soon enough.” Dabbing away the perspiration off the back of his neck, Kai watched the change in Luhan’s face. The latter had his mouth agape and eyes widened in surprise.

 

“You mean, Sehun has yet to meet them face to face—”

 

“For the record, they have skyped once before okay.”

 

“Kai! That doesn’t count!” Luhan face-palmed, realising that they were going to be wedded in three weeks’ time but Sehun still have not met his uncle and aunt. “And they agreed to allow you to get married? And what about Sehun—”

 

“Look, I’m sweaty. Can we talk about this at dinner?”

 

Luhan gave a questioning frown. But before he could protest, Kai got off the bench and his heels, heading right towards the changing room.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

“You didn’t even bother to ask if I would be free or not?”

 

Kai scoffed when Luhan blatantly crossed his arms over his chest, his face bare from expression. Well, Kai knew he didn’t exactly have to ask. Luhan’s job was more of an own-time-own-target kind of thing. Perks of being a freelancer, or at least an author—maybe. When Kai gave no response, Luhan merely turned his head away and shut his eyes, letting his cousin drive in silence. Not another complaint or retort escape his mouth as he let Kai bring him to the other end of the district for an impromptu dinner. Well, it wasn’t exactly impromptu for the both of them. Kai already had this planned, but he figured that Luhan didn’t exactly need to be informed; the latter would be ready with a mountain full of excuses. He never liked being brought to posh restaurants, especially when Kai was the one he’d be dining with.

 

Halting as the red light shone, Kai gave a brief look to Luhan; wondering if he could’ve managed to survive the life Luhan has went through. It wasn’t the first time Kai has given this thought but, he couldn’t help to still think about his cousin’s past. The latter couldn’t understand how Luhan still managed to be selfless and empathetic when nobody was to him during his childhood.

 

Kai wondered who he could’ve resembled, not once has he seen or met Luhan’s parents, even after they were sent to prison. Unlike Kai, Luhan wasn’t at all tanned. They had so much contrast, no one would think they were even related.

 

Kai’s skin was more sun-kissed, sharp and strong under the morning light. His plump lips were pinker than Asia’s peonies and eyes a colour deeper than rich oak. And while he was all that, Luhan was the total opposite of course. His porcelain skin was as pale as the first snow, and lips darker than blood itself. His cheeks would emit a light and natural, rosy glow whenever he blushes, something Kai was thankful his melanin gets to hide whenever he was embarrassed or shy.

 

“You really should think if getting married to Sehun is the right thing to do,” Luhan started when Kai stepped on the accelerator. This earned a displeased frown from the other. “I mean, seeing how you love to stare at my face when you think I’m not looking. Are you sure you’re not into—ow!”

 

Kai landed a playful smack onto Luhan’s arm, letting out a chortle at what Luhan’s mentioned. “Enough about me! I’m really what we always talk about, Luhan.”

 

A soft sigh escaped Luhan’s lips as he wore a rueful smile across his lips. Kai’s expression changed into a solemn one when his eyes briefly drifted to his cousin. He knew it was an exaggeration but, they rarely talk about Luhan’s life.

 

“I have nothing to talk about Kai, my life isn’t as eventful as yours.” He started, glancing out the window with the same smile on his face. His eyes wandered far across the distance as they drove towards the horizon. “Besides, you know I don’t like talking about myself.”

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

 

Sehun bit at her bottom lip as she thought hard in front of Kris’ study. He didn’t even leave once except to go get brunch and Sehun didn’t know that Saturdays could be spent so dreadfully. She didn’t know how to talk to him, seeing how he has kept the door shut for the entire day. But she didn’t want to leave the house without telling him, even if he’s been informed beforehand.

 

Giving a harsh and frustrated sigh, Sehun was about to turn her heels when the door unlocked. Kris’ head popped out of the door as he kept it semi-shut, his expression stoic and straight as his lips were set into a line.

 

“What do you want.”

 

Sehun worried over her bottom lip as she stared at her brother. Everything that she wanted to say, everything that has been on her mind, suddenly left. Her brain was completely void of what she had rehearsed earlier.

 

“I—”

 

When she sighed dejectedly, Kris rolled his eyes and was about to retire back to the study room when Sehun moved forwards. She wrapped her arms around her brother’s waist, making the former gasp in surprise.

 

“I’m sorry,” Sehun breathed into Kris’ chest. “I just, didn’t know how to react and I know this means so much to you. To us.

 

“It affected you more than it affected me and I just– couldn’t find the right words to say to you.” The brunette loosened her grip slightly as she looked up to her brother. “I love you Kris, you’re the only family I have left, and I just want you to be genuinely happy.

 

Kris took a deep breath and pulled his sister’s arms away, he should’ve known. Sehun wasn’t someone who held onto the past, nor was she someone who favours revenge. To her, things would fall into place on their own and karma would come just at the right time.

 

But Kris viewed themselves as karma’s messengers.

 

“Sehun, would you do anything to make me happy?”

 

Sehun showed her brother a questioning expression, not knowing where things were going. She took Kris’ hand into hers and clasped her hands together, “It’s what I want for you. As long as I am able to, I’ll do whatever you ask.”

 

Kris’ lips broke into a small beam. He pulled his sister into his arms and caressed her hair. “Promise me you’ll stay by my side, in Zaffre.” His voice was low and almost inaudible, “At least until you—we, have Sangria’s chief eliminated.”

 

Sehun didn’t think too much into the deal. To her, this was what Kris has always wanted and although she isn’t at all agreeable to killing someone for the mistake their elders made, perhaps for once Kris was right about avenging their parents. She let out a hum and broke away from the embrace, “Don’t worry,” she assured, sending a bright smile in his direction. “I promise you.”

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

“Luhan…?”

 

As they neared the restaurant, Luhan squinted his eyes and made a short sprint when he saw a familiar brunette in front of his eyes.

 

“Sehun!” He exclaimed, pulling the other in an embrace to which she didn’t shy away from. “It’s been so long since we met! How have you been?”

 

Sehun didn’t think that Luhan will be joining them for dinner, but she wasn’t going to complain. Luhan was one of the first few friends back in university. When she first met him, she didn’t know that they would be able to click well so fast. Not even through the first week, they were talking and joking around as if they’ve known each other for years. And through him, was how she met Kai. Though she could admit that her first impression of Kai wasn’t equally as pleasant as how she started off with Luhan.

 

“I’ve been great! And your recent book—once again blew me away. It’s amazing!” She squealed in glee, making a little jump as she released herself from his arms.

 

Before Luhan could respond, the sound of throat clearing made them both whip their heads to the direction it came from. Kai was standing beside them with a raised brow and pursed lips, both of his hands stuffed into the pockets of his pants.

 

“Really? You couldn’t say ‘hi’ to me first.” He deadpanned, opening both his arms before Sehun came in for the hug. He broke into a smile and lightly kissed the top of her forehead. “For a minute there I thought you were going to get back together with Luhan!”

 

Sehun abruptly pulled away and swatted Kai’s arm, letting out a soft giggle as they all laughed together at his harmless joke.

 

“Sorry Sehun, if I had known we were going to eat with you, I wouldn’t have come.” Luhan threw both his hands up before crossing them over his chest. “I wouldn’t want to disturb or anything.”

 

Sehun threw over a beam and shook her head, “I’m glad you’re here, I’ve missed you so much!”

 

Kai rolled his eyes playfully as he gestured to them to move to the front counter. “I made a reservation. Kai, Kim.”

Sehun stood behind her boyfriend with Luhan close by, but both of their ears perked up in shock when they heard what the server said next.

 

“Ah yes, table for five?”

 

The duo thought it might’ve been a mistake because there were only three of them, but Kai instantly nodded and soon, they were escorted to their table. The waitress laid five menus on the table and placed a buzzer with two buttons as well.

 

Kai didn’t notice the two of them had their eyes trained on him as he turned over the menu, lips set into a cute pout as he scanned the different types of pasta and steaks they had on the menu.

 

“Um Kai,” Sehun started after breaking her brief eye contact with Luhan. “Who are the other two who are coming?”

 

Kai looked up from the menu and raised both his brows. “Oh.”

 

That was the only thing that came out of his plump lips before he placed the menu down. He took Sehun’s hand into his and cracked a grin, “My parents will be joining us.”

 

“What!?”

 

Kai got startled when both Luhan and Sehun cried in disbelief and absolute surprise. He knew they’d be surprised but didn’t think they would raise their voice so loudly, making the whole restaurant turn their gazes to them.

 

Sehun wiped away a strand of hair away from her forehead, swallowing thickly as she felt and lips dry. she didn’t know what to do, it was sudden. Too sudden. Pulling her hand away forcefully, she abruptly got off her seat and took her bag with her.

 

“Sorry, excuse me.”

 

Both Kai and Luhan watched her scurry out of the restaurant, leaving the former confused and baffled at her sudden reaction.

 

“Wh— I thought she would love to meet my parents…”

 

Luhan whipped his head to his cousin, “Yes of course she would be, but you could’ve at least prepared her.” He grimaced, shaking his head as told his cousin off. “Now just, go after her and assure things would be okay. She must’ve been petrified!”

 

Without uttering another syllable, Kai complied to his cousin’s advice and followed suit in Sehun’s footsteps. Hopefully, this would be the only hiccup of the night. He didn’t think that Sehun would’ve been this nervous; she was always someone who was cool headed.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

a/n: sorry @lanasakura1!! I didn’t put in a krishan tag but thank you so much for still subscribing, and to the rest, thank you for reading!