Phase 2: Meeting [2.0]

Centum Viginti

“Sehun!” Kai called out, noticing Sehun fishing out her phone. “Sehun, wait!”

 

He grabbed onto her wrist and snatched the phone away.

 

“Give it back to me! I don’t think I can—”

 

Kai slipped her phone into his back pocket and sighed, holding onto both her shoulders. A soft smile crept up on his lips and Sehun never thought that one beam of his was able to make her wild heart calm in a split second.

 

“You’ll be fine Sehun, I know you will be.” He assured, squeezing her shoulders. “You’ve skyped with them once and I’m pretty sure if they were against you, against us, they’d tell me before I decide to marry you.”

 

Sehun her lips in worry, “Okay.” She managed to meekly respond, giving a soft grin. “I’ll try.”

 

Kai’s hand left her shoulders, taking her wrist into his palm as he turned to bring them inside. But before they could step any further, Kai whipped his head around when a familiar voice called out for his name.

 

“Mom?” Kai wore a huge beam across his face, instantly letting go of Sehun’s hand as he brought both his arms over his mother’s petite form. “I’ve missed you so much!”

 

“Son.”

 

Kai released his grip on his mother and embraced his father briefly as well. He turned to Sehun and let out a hand for her to take, “Mom, Dad. This is Sehun.”

 

The brunette swallowed thickly, obviously nervous as her hand trembled in Kai’s palm. The latter gave an assuring squeeze and smiled fondly to his wife-to-be, making her curtly bow her head to his parents.

 

“We’ve heard a lot about you, Sehun.” Kai’s father told, and Sehun was unsure if she should be relieved or concerned.

 

But before she could react, she felt an unfamiliar but warm pair of arms circling around her body when Mrs Kim pulled her into an embrace.

 

“Thank you so much for making Kai’s life less lonely,” she sighed, trying to find an appropriate term. “I’m so glad he met you.”

 

Sehun was surprised, she didn’t even think to wrap her own arms around the woman.

 

“Let’s go in, Luhan’s probably wondering what’s taking so long.”

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

 

“Aunt Kim!”

 

Luhan almost screamed across the restaurant when he saw his beloved aunt and uncle entering the restaurant with their son behind them. It was as if he was meeting with his parents, but of course, they were more like guardians to him as compared to his real birth parents.

 

“I thought you weren’t going to come back until after the third quarter this year.” He sighed into his aunt’s embrace, wearing a subtle smile on his lips. “I’ve missed you so much…”

 

Mrs Kim nodded, feeling the same as a tear escaped her eye. Although Kai was her biological son, she couldn’t help but be more protective over Luhan. After she learnt what he went through as a child, the woman wanted nothing more than to make sure he lives a greater and better life; receiving nothing but the best she could offer.

 

“I’ve placed a few orders actually,” Luhan said sheepishly as they all proceeded to take their seats. “The waiter was getting impatient, seeing how everyone left and—”

 

“Left?” Mr and Mrs Kim both questioned at the same time, raising an eyebrow each as they glanced towards their son and his girlfriend.

 

“Yeah… Kai didn’t tell Sehun she was going to meet you today,” Luhan tattletaled, “She ran out in fear, thinking you wouldn’t like her.”

 

Sehun widened her eyes at the last bit of fact Luhan added, narrowing her eyes at the man when he only gave a cheeky smile.

 

“Why wouldn’t we like you, Sehun?” Mrs Kim shook her head, “You are by far, one of the most independent girlfriends I’ve ever come across.”

 

Sehun was about to take in the compliment when her eyes perked up at the word ‘girlfriends’. Her eyes darted to Kai who evidently tried to avoid her piercing gaze as he glanced down to the empty plate.

 

“You said I was the only girlfriend you ever had.

 

Kai let out a nervous laugh as he side-eyed his parents. “Well, technically you are the officially one.”

 

Sehun didn’t even have the time to react when the waiters finally came with the food Luhan ordered, and she couldn’t be more impressed at how impressive Luhan’s food choices were.

 

“Wow, you sure have great taste Luhan.” She complimented, smirking afterwards when she remembered their dating history back in university. “Dating you back then was fun when you brought me around to cheap food places often.”

 

Kai stopped digging in to the fried shrimp dumplings, his eyes averting from his cousin to his soon-to-be wife. But Sehun didn’t pay heed to his dagger-like stare as she continued to feast on the soft minced chicken in her bowl.

 

My, Luhan and you used to be together?”

 

Sehun almost forgot that Kai’s parents were there with them, went agape when she realised this could be the start of her demise.

 

“Well, yes—and no.” Luhan clarified, confusingly. “We thought we had a thing, but it turns out that Sehun wanted to be with Kai instead of me. We dated only for them to get together, and I eventually found Xiao Tong through her too.” He ended quickly before his aunt could show sympathy.

 

Mrs Kim wore a relieved grin, turning to Sehun who still had difficulty picking up the fallen minced chicken in her bowl with the silver chopstick in her fingers. Trust Kai to bring her to a Chinese restaurant on her first meeting with her future parents-in-law. She hated using chopsticks the most because she just simply wasn’t good with the dainty utensils. She groaned and let out a frustrated sigh under her breath, loud enough for only Kai to hear.

 

The man let out a soft giggle and took the minced chicken into his chopsticks swiftly, bringing them to Sehun’s lips to which she invitingly allowed into .

 

“Thanks.” She muttered almost shyly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

“So Sehun,” Mrs Kim started, placing her spoon down as she intertwined her fingers together under her chin. “I heard from Kai you’ve been planning the wedding all on your own.”

 

The brunette blushed and wiped her right cheek meekly. “Well, yes. I told him it would a once-in-a-lifetime chance to plan my own wedding, so I thought—it would be great if we planned it ourselves.”

 

Mr Kim showed a knowing beam to his wife. “Well, we bet you would have a wonderful place for a honeymoon too.”

 

Sehun only gave a small smile and looked to Kai, “Not really. We won’t be going to a honeymoon.” She gave a sigh almost in disappointment, but instantly light up as her eyes turned to crescents. “Kai’s been really busy with KJ Group, especially since he’s shadowing the CMO. We thought it’d be best if we postponed it and—”

 

“Postpone!? Kai, why would you—”

 

“No, it’s fine!” Sehun cut off Mrs Kim before she could break into an outburst, “I understand completely; he’s doing this for our future and I don’t think there should be any rush in going for a honeymoon.”

 

Kai’s parents didn’t have the right words to spout as they looked at each other uneasily, sending a quick glare of disapproval towards their sons.

 

“Oh, Luhan. About the book you just released…” Sehun tried to start another conversation to divert the attention from both of them as she turned to Kai’s cousin.

 

Luhan’s eyes widened with a spoon in his mouth, not knowing how to go about the inquiry especially since he was just finished with months of book-signing events.

 

“Uh… well, the um—” he pulled back his lips as they all looked towards his direction. “I’m currently working on a possible sequel of it actually.”

 

Sehun let out a trailed ‘oh’ sound, knowing completely well that Luhan was lying because in his recent interview; he mentioned that this time, his novel wouldn’t be coming in trilogies like how his previous works have been made. And it was almost impossible to make a sequel out of it when everyone in his novel has, well—died.

 

“Don’t overwork yourself Luhan,” Mr Kim finally broke the awkward silence, “Take things slow, you have all the time. Don’t worry.”

 

Luhan only gave an agreeable nod, thankful that Kai’s parents weren’t into novels at their age because if they were, they would’ve read everything off the shelf that was written by their nephew.

 

“Anyways Sehun, when would be a nice time to meet your parents?” Mrs Kim asked, surprised that Kai and Luhan had both their eyes widened as if it was a taboo thing to talk about. “Did I say something wrong?”

 

Kai turned to Sehun and wore an apologetic expression on his face, “Sorry Sehun, I completely missed out on telling them that—”

 

“It’s okay Kai,” Sehun shrugged it off, dabbing her lips with the napkin on her lap. She looked to her future-in-laws and wore a wistful smile on her lips. “I lost my parents 20 years ago and have been orphaned ever since.”

 

Mrs Kim gasped in shock, “I—oh dear, I’m so sorry. Kai didn’t tell us…”

 

“It’s alright, Mrs Kim. It has been 20 years and honestly, I forgot how they look like.” Sehun pulled her hair back and played with the egg drop soup Luhan scooped for her earlier. “My brother, Kris, has been taking care of me ever since and if it’s okay with you, maybe you could meet him instead.”

 

 

 

~”~

 

 

 

“Kai—”

 

“I know, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about her parents.” Kai told as soon as he returned home after dropping off Sehun. “It just, slipped off my mind.”

 

Luhan brought in his aunt’s and uncle’s luggage voluntarily before passing them to the butler of the house. “Thank you, young mast—”

 

“Just Luhan, will do.”

 

Luhan patted the man’s upper arm twice before retiring to the common room, joining his cousin and his parents.

 

“And what is this about postponing the honeymoon,” Mrs Kim wore a disheartened expression across her face as she sat beside her husband. “I’m pretty curtained your father wouldn’t make you put the company above your own wife, work can wait Kai.”

 

Luhan stifled a laughter when Kai let out a groan, his parents didn’t even give him room to negotiate.

 

“Will you two just listen,” Kai tutted, bouncing into the vacant spot on the couch beside his cousin. “I didn’t say there wouldn’t be a honeymoon, there will be. But Sehun can’t know about it because if she does, she’ll plan out a whole trip for us too!”

 

Luhan nodded beside his cousin and took a sweet from the coffee table, “True. Sehun’s being carrying the burden of planning because Mr. CMO doesn’t get a break from Suho at all.”

 

Kai’s mother looked to her husband with a sour expression washed over her face, “Can’t you tell Suho to cut him some slack? Sehun’s not the only one getting married to Kai you know, he’s getting married to her as well.”

 

Kai’s father nodded in agreement, “You can’t blame him, Suho’s going over to Japan as an expat soon. He’s just, overly worried.”

 

His wife simply flailed her arms in defeat, climbing up the stairs with a sharp groan as she left the common room.

 

“Just, make sure the girl gets help!” She yelled from the second floor. “I don’t want to lose an ideal daughter-in-law.”

 

 

 

 

***

 

a/n: hello and thank you so much for being subscribed to this! and to the upvoters;

 

@MalfoySean

@Killjoys09

@ninikaibabe

@DaMeepster

@Fariemma

@leeminholover

@Rockerlyn

@yiyilin

thank you so much for upvoting! see you all in the next chapter! xoxo