x12 ❀

Fari Lamoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"If it isn't the world's greatest setter."

 

Jungkook pulled the towel away from his face to see Haemin hovering over him—a bottle of water in his outstretched hand. Jungkook took the drink.

 

Haemin sighed as he stretched his legs out in front of him. "Tell me you'll never stop playing ball so I can die in peace."

 

"Don't talk like that."

 

Haemin chuckled softly. "Always so serious." He turned to Jungkook with a grin, his fingers curling in to form a fist. His pinky popped up. "You'll never be without me. I'll be in your heart from now until forever."

 

Jungkook stirred into consciousness. The vision dispersed. He opened his eyelids to see that his alarm had already rung once before. He sat up. The back of his neck was coated with a thin layer of sweat. He sighed. No matter how hard he tried to push aside his connection to Haemin, the memories associated with him wouldn't stop infiltrating his mind now and again.

 

After showering, Jungkook snuck into the living room to check on Taehyung. He was still fast asleep on the couch. He debated leaving him a handwritten note as to when he would be back but the idea seemed oddly romantic so he opted to send him a text in case he asked. Without stopping to snag a loaf of bread from the kitchen island, Jungkook headed for school.

 

The day passed by without interruption. That was until his last class of the day. Jungkook had managed to avoid the volleyball players he knew. That was Seokjin and the toad, Namjoon. But that still left two other unrecognizable faces.

 

Jungkook reassured himself that if he hadn't yet been approached by them, he wouldn't be approached now that the day was dwindling away.

 

Jungkook's phone pinged prior to stepping inside the gym. Jungkook pressed play on the attached voice message. Taehyung's voice filtered into Jungkook's ear. "Where are you right now?"

 

School, Jungkook texted back.

 

"No. I know. I meant can you send me the directions?"

 

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows. Why?

 

"Because I want to see you."

 

Jungkook replayed the message. What did Taehyung mean by saying such a silly thing?

 

No, Jungkook texted. I'll be home later, he quickly added on.

 

Jungkook stuffed his muted phone into his joggers before he could be tempted to check Taehyung's response.

 

Towards the end of class, Jungkook was approached by someone he had never seen before. Lanky arms hung at his sides like twin tassels. A black headband was wrapped around his dark hair. At the center of his face was an immaculate button nose disjointed by the slitted look of his sharp eyes.

 

Jungkook hadn't realized he was staring until he felt the stranger's eyes connect with his.

 

"Hello?"

 

Jungkook stood up. "Hello," he mumbled in a cool tone as he slung his duffel bag over his shoulder.

 

"Are you by any chance Jungkook?"

 

Jungkook took into consideration the man's height. He had to be at least six feet tall.

 

"Yea."

 

"Well, I-" He kicked at the floor with the toe of his sneaker. "Look. I don't mean to cause any trouble but-"

 

"Krill! You sure you got the right guy?"

 

Jungkook looked towards the double doors to see another male fast approaching. Unlike this so-called Krill, this guy wasn't nearly as tall. His cropped hair accentuated his square jaw. A thin shirt hugged the contours of his chiseled pecs. Jungkook looked away.

 

Before Jungkook could push past Krill, a familiar voice snuck into the air around him. He sighed. Now was not the time. He had come so close to heading home without having to interact with anyone—least of all that fool.

 

"Why wouldn't he have the right guy?" Namjoon asked. "The entire male population ought to know who this guy is. So popular with the ladies."

 

Jungkook snarled. "I'm leaving."

 

Krill stepped in front of him before he could take more than a couple of steps. Jungkook glared at him.

 

"Sorry. We just want to talk. Can't you hear us out for a few?"

 

Jungkook opened his mouth to say something when another familiar voice pushed into his head. He, along with everyone else, turned to see Taehyung looking over the scene with a speculative interest. The bag in his hand rustled as he approached.

 

"Who is this?" Namjoon stepped into Taehyung's path. Taehyung skirted past him. Namjoon's eyes widened. "Kid. You-"

 

"Jungkook, are you okay?"

 

Jungkook nodded. "Yeah. I was just leaving."

 

"Hello," Krill said as he bowed his head at Taehyung.

 

Taehyung looked up at him with amazement. "You're a tree."

 

Krill blushed. "Yeah, well, I-"

 

"Join the squad." Taehyung jumped as he turned to face Namjoon whose dark eyes were trained on Jungkook's disinterested face.

 

"No. I have no interest in helping you fulfill whatever shounen-like aspirations you may have. Stick to the comics."

 

Namjoon flinched. "You think this is a joke? You think we're here to mess around?"

 

Jungkook shoved aside the sudden urge to take a step back. These were fighting words. He hated to think he was going to leave this conversation on a negative note but he hated the idea of playing ball, even more, to hear him out.

 

"Okay." Namjoon nodded. His eyes remained trained on the floor. "I'm not one to grovel so let me not start now."

 

Jungkook was already walking away before Namjoon could finish his sentence. Taehyung dismissed himself from Krill before hurrying after Jungkook. He nearly tripped on his way over the threshold.

 

"You're too harsh," Seokjin said as he stepped up beside Namjoon. "You can't force someone to do something they don't want to do."

 

Namjoon walked out from underneath Seokjin's grip on his shoulder. "Yeah, well, my mother divorced my father even when he begged her not to."

 

Seokjin remained quiet as he watched Namjoon approach the other two members.

 

"That kid was so good looking," Jinho said. "I don't understand. I'm supposed to be the only good looking guy at this school." He twisted his foot into the ground.

 

Everyone exchanged looks with one another before turning to eye Jinho with side-long grimaces.

 

"Of course you are," Namjoon and Seokjin said in unison.

 

#

 

"Jungkook! Why won't you join their team?"

 

Jungkook kept walking without looking back.

 

"Sounds like it's important."

 

"Yeah, well, some things are easier said than done." He picked up the discarded bottle at his feet before continuing on towards home.

 

"Please. Turn around. Talk to me."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because talking is the best medicine to get rid of the blues."

 

Jungkook scoffed. "What a bunch of bull-" He grimaced. Taehyung was only trying to help and here he was pushing him away again. Jungkook let a heavy sigh escape through his nose. That's right. He had promised himself not to be like Mr. Jeon. He would stay and listen.

 

He turned to face Taehyung. A tiny knick marred the side of his cheek. "How did this happen?" A crease formed on the space to the side of Jungkook's left eyebrow. He reached out to rub the blood away before he remembered how unsanitary that was. Reaching into his bag, he pulled a tissue from the pouch and handed it to Taehyung.

 

Taehyung took it with a smile. "Please don't worry about me."

 

Jungkook sighed. "I'll disinfect it when we get home. Come on."

 

Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's bag before he could finish turning back around. "Will you answer the question?"

 

Jungkook stared at Taehyung for the length of a few breaths before speaking. "There's someone that comes to mind when I think about playing volleyball." He ran a hand over the back of his neck. "I don't know yet if I'm ready."

 

Taehyung nodded.

 

"Do you hate this person?"

 

Jungkook

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter