x11 ❀

Fari Lamoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook walked into his first class of the day not expecting much of anything but a boring lecture and even more boring side conversations from the group of friends that sat in front of him.

 

He had barely just taken a seat when the teacher called him forward. Jungkook slugged his backpack over his shoulder before pushing through the tight-spaced aisle. All eyes were trained on him.

 

"I see you've already had prior notice of this," the teacher said as he pulled out a white sheet marked with penciled-in bubbles.

 

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows.

 

The teacher pointed at Jungkook's bookbag. "Heading somewhere?"

 

"Oh." Jungkook returned his attention to the teacher. "No. Not really." He watched as the ink spread out over the paper. Dark marks that stain. "I don't go anywhere in this school without my stuff."

 

The teacher said nothing as he finished scribbling his signature on Jungkook's test paper. "Principal's office." He handed Jungkook the sheet. "He wants to see you."

 

Jungkook nodded before turning to head out of the dingy room. He was glad for the distraction. Most things in life weren't exciting but that didn't mean things had to be boring.

 

On his way down the long corridor, Jungkook assessed the numbers circled in red at the top of his answer sheet. A perfect score for having answered everything correctly plus seven points from the extra credit assignment he had reworded from an essay written by the spokesperson he was supposed to have seen in person. Not bad for a class he spent a majority of his time daydreaming in.

 

Jungkook arrived to find the boy from yesterday afternoon seated in the chair directly opposite the principals. Jungkook was tempted to throw him a slitted look. What did he want?

 

"Jungkook!" The principal stood and offered him the seat next to the black-haired male.

 

"I'll stand," Jungkook said. He made no attempt to return the smile that boy offered him.

 

"Afraid?" The boy threw his head over his shoulder. A small smirk dotted the corner of his lips. "Don't be. I don't bite." He shifted in his seat so that his elbows rested on either side of the wooden arms. "Well," he sang. "Not unless I've got a ball in my hands." The principal burst into a peal of laughter as if he had been told not to laugh until this very moment.

 

Jungkook made as if he were checking the non-existent watch on his wrist. "I don't mean to be rude but I've got a class in less than ten."

 

"Of course! Of course." Dr. Won shimmied around in his seat. "We won't be long." His brow creased as his eyes skimmed over the paper laid out in front of him. "Well, you see, Jungkook, I've noticed that you have yet to even begin your service hours. May I ask why that is?"

 

Jungkook shrugged. "I haven't had the time." His attention remained on the lustrous green lawn beyond the room's two large bay windows. He wondered if Taehyung would know what to do with himself while he was home alone. Maybe he should pick him something up from the craft store on his way home. "But I'll get them done."

 

The principal pretended to be hard at work typing something into the computer. The screen was blue. A virus.

 

Jungkook inwardly scoffed. He cast a sidelong glance at the plastic fern in the corner of the room. Even though the thing could not experience life, Jungkook sympathized with it. How could one person be any less incompetent than this man?

 

The principal pretended to shuffle through some papers before collapsing back into his chair with a smile. "Well, since you're far behind, Namjoon, here has a plan that should help you catch up."

 

"Of course, you don't have to do this if you don't want to," Namjoon said in a soft voice, eyes downcast as he fiddled with his thumbs.

 

Jungkook curled his toes. He would rather be in class than here.

 

"Nonsense!" the principal shouted. Jungkook continued to look at him with disinterest. He fidgeted in his seat. "Of course, it is up to you, Jungkook. But this is something to think over."

 

Namjoon turned so that he was facing Jungkook head-on. "You're good with a volleyball. As you already might know-"

 

"I don't care." Turning to Dr. Won, Jungkook dipped his head to his chin. "The deadline is this April. I'll have my community hours in a month before then. Now, if you'll excuse me. I have a class to attend." He walked out of the room before Namjoon could even think to stand up.

 

"Don't give up."

 

Namjoon bowed. "I won't. Thank you." With clear, sure-footed strides, he headed after Jungkook.

 

Namjoon caught up to Jungkook before he could turn into the auditorium. "You have class? While construction is going on? Classy."

 

Jungkook ignored him as he maneuvered past the barricade. The smell of sanded wood assaulted his nose. He stepped inside to a darkness so familiar he might have expected to find his bed at the front of the stage. Namjoon followed after. The grip that squeezed Jungkook's heart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter