Fledgling

Fari Lamoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time didn't stop or slow down for Jungkook when a pretty girl was giving him all of her attention. He didn't sweat. His heartbeat didn't accelerate and he sure as hell didn't feel anything but hunger in that one moment of undulating boredom.

He would have liked it much better if the girl had slid her letter into his locker but he knew not to expect that at this point in his studies. Of the innumerable amount of times he had been confessed to, only twice had the girl done that and even than, once had been a mishap on part of the girl's best friend.

Jungkook watched the girl slowly stretch her arms out in front of her. Clasped between her thin, delicate fingers was a pale pink envelope. He could barely just make out a penguin holding a heart between its flippers on the sticker in the middle.

The silence was interrupted by the sound of barking dogs coming from somewhere beyond the grove of trees. The girl swallowed. "Jungkook-ssi," she began.

The same old introduction. Jungkook didn't care about formalities. He didn't use them right off the bat. You needed to earn his trust before he would consider giving you his.

The girl's hands shook violently. If she didn't mark the thin paper with her manicured nails, than she would create some kind of hole with what Jungkook thought must have been some very sweaty fingers.

"P-please. Accept my feelings."

Jungkook had to commend the girl for not backing down. Things were probably infinitely more awkward for her than they would ever be for him. He smiled at the thought. The girl noticed. She crept closer.

Jungkook cursed himself. He didn't want to give this girl any expectations. He didn't want her to think she could try again after the rejection he was about to deliver.

"You didn't expect to hand me this letter without a response, right?" Jungkook kept his stone-hard, icy cold gaze on the girl. His lips drew in tighter over his impeccable face.

The girl nodded, her eyes darting to an empty spot by his side. Her thin eyelashes fluttered. Jungkook inwardly rolled his eyes. Even he wasn't stupid enough not to realize the difference between a love perpetuated by lust and one that stems from an insatiable longing for the other person.

He prayed he would never experience either.

"Keep it," Jungkook said. "I'm not looking for love."

The girl's eyes grew wide. She opened to say something but by then, Jungkook had already swiveled around on the balls of his feet. In an instant, he was gone; taken up by the trees darkest shadows.

On his way around the science department's school building, Jungkook came across a familiar group of wannabe thugs. All three of them had nothing better to do than waste their time trying to intimidate him.

A short, stocky boy whose shirt was in a desperate need of a stretch over his pot-belly stomach, nudged the guy next to him upon spotting Jungkook. The tall boy looked up. A wicked grin spread his chapped lips taut over his face.

Kangin. That was his name. But everyone knew him by his nickname; courtesy of the graduating seniors from last year's ceremony. ST Alker.

Despite his height and thickset shoulders, no one feared him. His scruffy behavior didn't help him, either. Instead of gaining title as someone to be respected from fear, he had come to be disrespected in the form of being ridiculed. His actions were antics. You would think he purposefully comes to school to act the fool. But that would be crediting him with too much and Jungkook was not one to doll out compliments.

Kangin had the strangest mentality. He said he had a call to protect every girl from harm's way. This self-created call for good extended to the long list of women whom Jungkook had rejected. By being on Kangin's list of "men who need a 'beat-down'", Jungkook hadn't been able to go on about his life without constantly being bombarded with Kangin’s idiotic comments. The harbinger of good would always heads with him. This irritated Jungkook beyond belief.

"You made Eunji cry, punk."

"Shouldn't matter. She's nothing to you."

Kangin snarled. His two goons stepped forward. Much like Kangin, they never actually got into fights. By the time any one of them had mustered enough courage to step up to the plate, Jungkook would have already gone on about his way. He had no time to fill his life with senseless activities. If he wanted a fill, he could turn to other more personal observances.

"What? Nice cherry lips? Thin legs? Fluffy hair? I wish girls would see how little of a man you actually are. You only care about yourself.” He stepped forward, his eyebrows curling in over his forehead as he shook his head. “Your mom must have had a hard time raising you. I-"

"Maybe it's time you learn to keep your mouth shut. There's so much drool bubbling out of it that I can't quite make out anything else but the sound of you choking on your own bull."

Kangin looked astounded. He his lips and winced when the salt from his saliva seeped into the small nick near the left end.

Jungkook kept h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter