marry me because you've always been the one.

Marry Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Falling in love is easy. Falling in love with the same person repeatedly is extraordinary.” 

―Crystal Woods

 

 

Her skin prickled from the cold that ran through her spine. It was like someone had poured a bucket of ice on her, making her body freeze from the paralyzing frigidness.

 

People were shouting around her, some were shrieking while others were calling for help. Everyone around her was in absolute chaos yet there she stood, not knowing what to do. Gradually, the blaring noise grew muffled and soon became muffled. Hands were roaming her arms and face in a comforting way while eyes focused on her in the same pitiful manner. 

 

"Call the ambulance!!" A voice screamed continuously. 

 

The pain in her abdomen was growing worse and in one breath, she felt like she had been punched in the stomach and suddenly, her body gave in and dropped to the ground. The hysteria around her heightened and everyone was tending to her all of the sudden. They kept chanting her name in desperation—calling her as if she couldn't hear them. She couldn't, really, since her consciousness was quickly slipping away. 

 

Her eyes dragged down to the floor and there she saw red coating her legs. Her fingers, she noticed, were stained with the same color. She could feel her heart beat fast but now it was suddenly calming and slowing down to almost dangerous levels. 

 

She blinked and called out for a name as her eyes focused on the crimson but before she could see anything more, everything turned black.

 

And at that point, she finally accepted.

 

Dara woke up with sweat coating her forehead and a galloping pulse. The familiar sight of her ceiling greeted her the first thing and the sweet lull of the wind knocked her windows softly. The dazed girl shifted herself up with a slight push before finding herself wearing a jacket and leaving the house. The clock in the hall told her that it was only 4 in the morning. Jiyong had guided her back home when she stomped her way into her room that night. She vaguely remembered him staying by her side and holding her hand before she fell asleep. 

 

Her weak footsteps crept towards the tree that Dara had always used whenever she sneaked to his room. She made it on his balcony, panting and heaving since she had a hard time climbing up. Dara felt absolutely shaky and sluggish and she was sure that she was going to fall to the ground because of her lethargy. Luckily she made it, and Jiyong's balcony door squeaked a little as she entered. 

 

The concern of him waking up to her presence didn't even faze her anymore hence why she instantly settled beside him in such a careless manner. Jiyong was snoring soundly while facing away from her so Dara snuggled up to his back and gripped his shirt, finding comfort in him. His steady breaths calmed her senses and her dazed eyes blinked and blinked until sleep finally eluded her. 

 

Finally, Dara felt safe again.

 

 

-Day 3-

 

Am I dreaming?

 

Jiyong rubbed the sleep out of his eyes for the nth time and finally recognized that he was indeed awake. His eyes flashed down to the sleeping woman who was embracing him by the waist and an instant giddy smile appeared on his lips.

 

He shook her arm carefully as he sneaked a faint peck on her temple. "Dara." he called but it was so faint that nobody could've heard it. Okay, call him out on it as much as you like but no stupid person would want to put an end to such an intimate moment like this. So after a few more of those fake calls, Jiyong giddily lied back down beside her, hugging her properly and pressing his lips on her cheek. 

 

Jiyong basked in his uninterrupted bliss for about 10 minutes before she finally stirred in his arms. His grin broadened at her trying to wake herself up. Guess who's gonna get the teasing of her life, he smirked. Because Dara was the one who came to him, it gave Jiyong a free pass to pull her closer since she brought this upon herself. Thank ! Things are finally looking up. 

 

Her brows furrowed while her eyes fluttered open as the brightness of the room invaded her senses. While her eyes tried to adjust, she could instantly make out a man's grinning figure looming beside her. Her sight finally cleared after a few more blinks and with just one look from Dara, Jiyong already knew. His excited grin slipped away from his face and was replaced by a sympathetic look. 

 

Dara, thinking that he might misunderstood her expression, opened to explain but stopped when he wordlessly tucked her head under his chin and soothed her back. The familiar suffocating lump on from earlier returned and he buried her face on his shirt while her fists clumped against the fabric. The next thing she knew, she was sobbing and she felt completely horrified about it. Dara wasn't even sure what exactly what she was crying about but her inner feelings didn't need a reason. 

 

"It's been a while since we last visited samchon, huh?" he mumbled against her hair. It was last year on Dara's father's birthday that they last visited along with both of their families. Fortunately, the rest of the busy Kwons were able to get a vacation off to visit such a dear friend that was practically family. 

 

Dara was always different when they visit along with everyone. She'd always tried to make things cheerful, saying that her father wouldn't like to see them all gloomy when they're all together. However, when she's alone (or only with Jiyong), she lets her grief free and she mourns despite not being able to see him in person.

 

Even though she didn't know him in a deeper level since she was too young, her mom and Jiyong's parents would always tell wonderful stories about him. But maybe it was because her father and her we're going through the same thing that she felt the need to always visit him whenever she could. They may not have a personal bond but they have a connection that no one can ever relate too. And on this day, her father was the only one that can calm her down. 

 

"Do you wanna go sometime later or around night?" 

 

She shifted against him again, putting herself into a fetus position as Jiyong's long arms circled around her entire figure. "Maybe at 4 or something." came her whisper of a reply. 

 

Jiyong nodded and leveled his head to hers, asking, "Do you wanna stay here longer or do you wanna go down and eat?" 

 

To be honest, Dara didn't even know why she came to his room. Maybe it was just instinctive since Jiyong always had been the one to comfort and cheer her up. Not to say that her mom didn't do anything. It was just nice to have someone other than family to take care of you so much. And right now, she felt completely comfortable in between his arms. 

 

"Omma's probably looking for me..." Meaning that they should head down for breakfast. 

 

Jiyong hummed and brushed the hair away from her face. "Don't worry, she's already used to this." 

 

Even in a state of melancholy, Dara still managed to look at him incredulously. "Huh?" 

 

"You've sneaked into my room and slept beside me for the past two years." he explained with a slight smirk on his face. "Noona's already used to it so don't worry." 

 

Instead of blushing or going into hysteria like he expected, she blinked and settled herself back comfortably on his chest. "Do you know why I did that?" she muttered softly.

 

Her lack of energy made him remember that she was still in her state of weakness. So rather than teasing her more, he calmly said the truth. "We had a huge fight and I left the country for a long time... Noona once told me that you always came into my room and waited for me to come back even though you weren't sure if I was ever going to come home." he explained. "I don't know if this is your reason but I guess you got scared that I might leave again so you just... kept checking if I'm still here." 

 

"I see..." And then they were surrounded by silence. 

 

Jiyong looked down at her head endearingly before continuing, "I never admitted it but I always loved the fact that I'd always find you beside me as soon as I wake up. I liked watching you sleep. It's one of the only times when you look so peaceful and innocent." 

 

"But why didn't you? Why haven't you told me, I mean..."

 

"Would you believe me if I say that we switched roles?" He sighed as he her arm. "I was scared and unsure about us and I'd rather have you forever as a friend than lose you because of a break-up. I pushed my feelings away and I tortured myself by not allowing myself to hold, look, or say anything that I'd been dying to." 

 

Dara looked at him curiously and brushed a thumb over his cheek. "What made you change your mind?" 

 

"You had the accident." Just the memory was making him sick to his stomach. "I thought I was gonna lose you... and I decided to stop bullting myself and just go for it. I can't lose you without getting a chance to even have you." He kissed her head softly and sighed again. "You made me realize so many things, Dara." 

 

She didn't speak anymore and Jiyong got the message. He asked her again if she wanted to eat and she nodded quietly in response. Before Dara could stand, Jiyong was already wearing his hoodie on her knowing her lack of sleeping attire. With his hand on hers, he guided them toward the door and out the house. 

 

They met a half-asleep Dami on the way and the woman instantly woke up to the sight of the two of them going out of Jiyong's room. Dami and his parents weren't familiar of their sleeping arrangements unlike Dara's mother hence the bulging eyes and the parted mouth. Before Dami could accuse them of anything, Jiyong shook his head quietly and gave her a stern look before he tugged Dara's hand. She was about to stop them when she saw Dara's dazed and expressionless face. Dami threw Jiyong a concerned glance and all she got was a reassuring nod before they disappeared outside. 

 

Jiyong had already guessed that Sunmi was going to be in the same sad mood. His hunch was only proven when he saw the same somber look on the older woman's face when they entered the kitchen. Sunmi reached for Dara's hand and the girl was immediately caught in a tight embrace. Jiyong left them alone for a while but when she caught Sunmi's gaze, a flash of something appeared in her eyes before she looked away and comforted her daughter. 

 

He didn't know what that knowing look meant but Jiyong got surprisingly affected by it. He didn't know exactly what he saw... sadness, guilt, accusation...? Moistening his chapped lips, he forced a smile and cleared his throat. "I'll come back later." His voice was unsure, almost hesitant. "I'll pick you up when you call me, okay?" 

 

There was something in Sunmi's expression that made him feel that he had to stay away but everything else in him wanted to comfort Dara too. Giving in to his instincts, he stepped forward but halted when the older woman threw him another look—almost warning, even. At that, he understood. He stepped back until he reached their front door and with one final look, he finally left them in peace while a foreboding apprehension slowly consumed him. 

 

A few hours later, 3pm struck and Jiyong's entire body rose at the gentle knock on his bedroom door. He absently glanced at himself in the mirror before hurrying to open the door. Dara looked refreshed despite the slightly bloated face she had due to crying. Before she could even speak, Jiyong was already tucking her closer for an embrace. Smiling a little, she patted his arm gratefully. 

 

"Sorry it took so long." she said. 

 

"There's no need to apologize, Dara." He pecked her temple sympathetically as he soothed her back. "Do you wanna head out now?" 

 

Dara nodded and Jiyong instantly laced their hands together as they made their way to his car. Unlike yesterday, the warmth of his hand gave her a sense of security. The same hand had been holding hers unknowingly for the past few years yet she hadn't thought of it in a deeper sense. Now that everything changed, maybe Jiyong was the one who made her realize things. 

 

Like always, their trip to the cemetery was surrounded with silence. The fast-paced pop music that was blaring on the car couldn't remove even a bit of the tension in the air. Jiyong shot her a worried glance but Dara was looking at the window and away from him to see the expression on her face. Pursing his lips, he reached for her hand and locked it with his, getting the girl out of his reverie to face him. Jiyong went back to focus on driving but his attention kept reeling back to the feel of her eyes on him. 

 

About 45 minutes later, the two of them wandered over the flower shop beside the cemetery entrance so that they could make their offering. Dara was still holding Jiyong's hand as they walked beside each other in the seemingly desolate and forgotten place. 

 

"Thanks for always coming with me." he heard her say and he answered with a soft hum. He could feel her hand grow frigid despite the warm weather. The atmosphere in the cemetery had always made her cold for some reason. She didn't want to admit to those fears and it helped that Jiyong's hands were warming hers, silently assuring her that there was nothing to be afraid of. 

 

Their gazes locked at the pristine-looking grave in front of them. It looked as good as new and Dara wondered if her mother had come to clean the dirt and muck off it. Jiyong was the first to move and he took the flowers from Dara before settling it carefully atop her father's grave. Eventually, they sat down on the damp grass and settled quietly, consumed in their own thoughts. Jiyong jolted in surprise when Dara rested her head on his shoulder. Smiling a little to himself, he eventually relaxed and circled an arm on her waist so that she could snuggle closer. 

 

Dara released a shaky breath before asking, "Do you know why I fell in love with you?" She felt his body grew rigid at the query but didn't delve further. 

 

"I think it was the same for the both of us." he mumbled. "Since we were always by each other's side, we... just gradually gradually drawn to each other and then we fell in love." It sounded more of a question than a statement and at that, Dara hummed in understanding.

 

"So if we didn't stick to each other so much," she paused, looking at him with her big and inquiring eyes, "If we weren't always together... we wouldn't have fell in love?" 

 

He gulped the forming lump on his throat and nodded, "I guess so."

 

The older woman hummed again and relaxed further towards him. Jiyong didn't know what to make of her questioning. Was she just curious on how she fell in love with him? Or was it because she was doubting her feelings? Falling in love just because he was just there wasn't really a good reason to keep holding on. That lingering fear in his mind kept gnawing his resolve but he vowed to never give up no matter what so there he stood, blindly trusting his faith. 

 

Leaves scattered around them as a sign of a slowly approaching Autumn. It wasn't cold out yet the dispiriting atmosphere in the cemetery made them shudder from a cool breeze. Jiyong watched her, curious to what Dara was thinking and the reason why she always get this spur that makes her want to visit her father. Usually, Dara would be too lethargic to approach him or let alone leave her bed. This was the first time that the girl voluntarily came to him amidst this state and it undoubtedly made him curious and slightly concerned.

 

"What do you know about appa?" It came out as soft as a whisper, her eyes still glued on the intricate engravings of her father's name. Her tone lacked expression but it didn't sound in the least bit condescending or haughty.

 

"He was a good man." Truthfully, Jiyong knew little to nothing about what her father was actually like but he's heard multitudes of stories about him. "Omma said that he was a bit shy and skittish and I think I heard appa mention that he was just as crazy and corny as you are." 

 

Instead of a retort to his tease, Dara chuckled faintly and agreed, "Yeah... he was a big cheeseball. He used to sulk when I ignored him for like 5 minutes and he did my hair better than omma." she said. "I'm starting to forget about him since it's been so long and I'm trying to keep those memories fresh by re-living." Then, she turned to him with her inquisitive eyes. Before she could speak, Jiyong had beaten her to it. 

 

"You're not gonna disappear in my past because we're making a future." he said with conviction. "I swear to you, Dara. You are going to live." 

 

"Thanks." But her sarcastic tone showed her supressed bitterness, and at this, his frustration grew. Why was it so hard to believe?

 

"Dara—"

 

"I had a dream." she interrupted, staring at him with a blank expression as if she was provoking him. "I thought I was dying." 

 

Jiyong's face immediately blanched while his throat quickly clogged up. "I-I..."

 

"But before I thought I'd actually die, I woke up and hurried to your room and suddenly, I wasn't afraid anymore." her voice broke. "Y-You... Just what did you d-do to me?" 

 

He took her face in his hands and pressed a reassuring kiss on her head. "I loved you and you loved me." he croaked. "But I broke you a-and, you got into an accident..." 

 

His answer only gave her more questions and her confused mind couldn't take it anymore. The dream she had rattled more than it should have and it left her feeling like a big piece of her was missing. Dara sighed irritably and got up, only to be stopped by his hand on her wrist. 

 

"Dara." His voice almost pleading. "Let me save you."

 

She shot him an incredulous look, her whole body trembling with frustration. "How can you save me when I don't even know how to save myself?" 

 

"Just trust me." 

 

Tears finally spilled. They've been going th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter