Day 5557

Where Do I Go Next?

On a Friday morning, when Krystal opened her eyes, she found herself clutching onto Kai's hand. She wonders how he entered her room like she has always had but instead of thinking about it for a long time, she lets herself feel the calming and familiar feel instead but still she feels as if it is something they shouldn't be feeling yet. How could she feel this way after another attempt to end her life? How could she feel when she had claimed she can no longer feel anymore? What is Kai to her that makes her feel this way?

Kai may have sensed it and he woke up looking worried at Krystal. Maybe it was his instinct that made him hold onto her a little bit tighter and brush her hair with his other hand. Whatever it was that made him do it, he doesn't care. He just wants to make sure Krystal's feeling better. "Anything you want?"

"You." Krystal answered. It both took them half a minute to respond. Kai was just looking at her with shocked eyes while Krystal thinks of an alibi. "I mean, you...water. Get me a glass of water, please." Krystal lets go of Kai and he stands up to get her a glass of water from her study table. Returning to her, he hands her the glass to which she gulped real fast. "My throat's been very dry. Thanks."

Again, Kai, being the playboy that he has been, thinks of naughty thoughts but was quick to brush the thought off his head. "Are you feeling all better now?"

"I think so." As if on cue, Krystal's stomach decided to grumble.

"Let's eat?"

Krystal nods. "I'll just change." Kai leaves the room and Krystal takes a deep breath. She hasn't noticed it but it seems like she has been holding her breath for a while already.

 

 

"I know a nice jjajangmyeon place here," Krystal starts. "I used to eat there with my sister. I haven't visited it since then but just had take-outs."

"Well, do you want to go there? I know a good jjajangmyeon place here too." Kai doesn’t actually know if it tastes good in that restaurant or not. He has just searched it on the web while waiting for Krystal.

"I want to but I don’t think I can eat if I’d dine in. So, let’s just go to that restaurant you’re telling me then after that, let’s just visit the jjajangmyeon place I am saying." Kai nods at Krystal's idea and he fishes out his car keys in his pocket.

"C'mon let's go."

During the entire ride to the jjajangmyeon place referred by Kai, Krystal keeps glancing onto Kai wondering, “What is this guy doing with his life? Why would he spend so much time for me, a stranger? Why does he insist on saving me? Do I really want to be saved?”

Kai have noticed Krystal looking at him. He doesn’t actually mind anyone looking at him even if they say staring is rude because it’s Krystal. He doesn’t know either why he wants to save Krystal badly. He just…he just wants to save her. “Anything you need?”

“Why?” Words came out pretty fast from Krystal’s mouth. She wasn’t sure why she blurted it out but might as well have everything clear. “Why are you doing this for me?” She pauses. “Why are you doing this to me?” Krystal isn’t sure as to why she even looked for him when he was gone. She doesn’t know why she is very much comfortable with him even if he’s just been in her life a few weeks ago.

Kai looks at her briefly. “Just because.”

“No, Kai. You just don’t save someone without any reason.”

Kai thinks for a moment and then answers, “If I can’t save myself, I’d have to save others.”

 

 

“We’re here.” Kai turns off the engine and removes his seat belt. Noticing Krystal not moving in her seat, he leans a little closer to her and removed her seat belt. When she still isn’t moving, he asks, “What’s wrong?”

“Sooyeon.”

“Yes, I brought you here. It’s Sooyeon Jjajangmyeon. I looked it up on the internet and it is said to be existing for over 28 years now. It was built by-“

“By my grandmother,” Krystal finishes. “It was named after my sister because on the year it was established, my mother was carrying her in her womb and was always looking for a jjajangmyeon. Even on late nights, she would ask grandmother for a jjajangmyeon and she’d cook it for her because dad wasn’t around.” Before Kai could even respond, Krystal got off the car and went inside the restaurant. Kai only followed her with his eyes as she disappears from his sight. He got off the car and cursed himself over and over, “. Why did I bring her to a place like this? I should’ve done some intensive research about this first, ugh.”

The shop keeper’s bell rang when Krystal opened the door making Kai jump. “Hey, come inside! You didn’t bring me here just to inhale air, did you?”

Kai mustered a small smile and followed her inside. “This is my grandmother’s restaurant. Before, she herself cooks everything but now, she hires single moms to cook,” Krystal says and turns to look at Kai whose eyes wander all over the restaurant. “You’re lucky, you get to taste my grandma’s original cooking.”

“Your grandma’s here?” Kai worriedly asks.

“Why? Funny how you’re starting to sweat!”

A lady who looks like in her 70s came out of the kitchen with a surprised look on her face. “Soojung-ah!”

“Hi, grandma! I missed you so much!” Krystal runs towards her grandmother and hugged her.

“I didn’t know you’re coming today! I just heard a familiar voice but I didn’t actually think it was you and here you are now.” Krystal’s grandmother caresses Krystal’s hair. At that time, Kai doesn’t know what to do or what to say so he stayed at his spot for half a minute before grandmother noticed him. “With a boy,” she added. “Who is he, by the way?”

Krystal and her grandmother break the hug and both looked at Kai excruciatingly. “He doesn’t look like he’s nice, right? Like, he dates everyone in their college’s department and breaks them off after 3 days?” Krystal says and her grandmother nods. Kai wants to sink so low unto the ground. He wants to cover his face and just vanish from the world then Krystal continued, “Well, grandma, he isn’t like that. He’s nice. Actually, he was kind of like that before—dating girls and playing around—but he’s changed.”

“If you say so.” Her grandmother isn’t a little bit persuaded with what Krystal said. She just excused herself to return to the kitchen and prepare something for the two. “She’s actually nice, Kai. Don’t worry. It’s just that it’s her first time seeing me bring a guy over to this place. Think of this restaurant as a sacred place for my family. No one ever really messes with grandma.” Kai nods at her but deep inside, he’s still nervous. “From what I can see, she likes you too. Maybe not that much yet but sooner, she’ll like you so much she’d steal you away from me. Look at how she looked at you after what I said? Those eyes say ‘This guy looks so good I hate it my grandchild got him first.’ It’s cringe though.”

“Why is it cringe?”

“Because it’s you.”

“Excuse me?”

“Nevermind. Can we just sit and wait and not fight whether you’re cringe-worthy or not because that’s definitely a yes.” Kai didn’t argue anymore and sat on the nearest chair. Krystal followed and sat on the seat in front of Kai.

“That’s what you say but your eyes tell me differently.”

Krystal just rolled her eyes. Kai let out a sigh and smiled. They both waited quietly and their eyes just wander all over the place, scanning from the ceiling to the floor.

After what felt like forever, Krystal’s grandmother comes out of the kitchen with three ladies following her, carrying dishes. “Here, children. Eat up! No one’s going home without a full stomach.” When the dishes were put on the table, Krystal looks at them and doesn’t move.

“Thank you, grandmother!” Kai looks happily at the food served and he can’t contain his happiness so he clapped his hands excitingly. Meanwhile, Krystal remains in silence as she looks at the food.

“These are all your favourite dishes, right?” Krystal’s grandmother sits beside her.

“And Jessica’s too,” Krystal added.

Kai looks confused for a second so Krystal’s grandmother says, “Sooyeon’s Jessica. It’s her English name. They lived in America before. C’mon, Krystal, your sister will be so happy to see you enjoying these. Eat up for her.”

 

 

After enjoying the food (unexpectedly, by Krystal), the two bade their goodbyes to Krystal’s grandmother and went an orchard and ate strawberries. The two also bought lots of it to bring home. Later, they went to a garden where different flowers are grown.

“Usually, people want to get married in this kind of place. But you know what? I want this to be my last destination instead. Like, my family and friends will be holding my funeral here? I know this is such a nice and happy place. Romantic. But I want to be somewhere nice, you know?” Krystal says as they walk along the ground between sunflowers and roses.

When they have seen all the types of flowers planted there, they both sat on the grass under the shade of a tree at a part of the place that seems like a small hill covered in grass.

“I didn’t know your name’s Soojung,” Kai started.

“Yeah, like you ever asked me. How about you? I don’t believe it your name’s actually Kim Kai,” Krystal says.

“Well, it’s really not. I just got that nickname from my friends when we…when we turned seven. My real name’s Jongin. Kim Jong In,” he reveals.

Krystal looks at him and asked, “Is that why your license plate is KJI? KJI 0114? What’s 0114?”

“It’s my birthday. Had my plate personalized.”

“What do you really do in life?”

“I thought I was living life but after meeting you, it just seems like I was just wasting it.”

 

 

Kai drove Krystal back to her house before the sun has set. On his way back, his phone rings. While stuck on the traffic, he reads the reminder on his phone: “Kris Birthday!” It’s already 9PM when he decides he’s going to drop by Kris’ party on the nearby bar. When he arrives at the place, he was greeted by the familiar smell of smoke, alcohol, and sweat.

“Yo! It’s been a while, Kai!” Tao saw him first. “The birthday celebrant decided to leave this place early. We’re going to do the after-party party at my house!”

Kai lets out a sigh. “Thanks, bro.” He thanked him because if he is to stay at the bar, he’d vanish from there and will spark the curiosity of other people. At least, if they’re in Tao’s place, if he vanishes by midnight, no questions will be asked. And so on that night, the three guys partied and when midnight came, Kai was gone and the party ended.


Author's Note: It's already been awhile, right? Finally, I was able to get out of the black hole. Hopefully, the next chapter can be written easily and posted early. Thanks for waiting! Love y'all <3