Day 5533

Where Do I Go Next?

This chapter is written in the third person’s POV.


 

"Are you sure we don't need anything more? Tao asks Kris as he puts another pack of chocolates in their luggage.

Kris' attention diverted to him and noticed how their 'Food Luggage' is full of chocolates and frozen pizzas. "Seriously, Tao? You expect us to eat the same thing the entire vacation? Not to mention putting a bottle of cologne in that luggage along with our food." Kris stands up from his vanity chair and paused styling his hair just to approach Tao and inspect the bag. "There's really no real food here. What the ." He unloaded the luggage and only put 2 packs of chocolates and one pack of frozen pizza.

"But what are we going to eat there? It's not camping when we'll eat take-outs," Tao whines and put back all the snack he just stuffed in the luggage earlier.

"We'll do grocery shopping, then." Kris walks away and continues styling his hair.

The door opened and a cheery Kai entered with a luggage on one hand and a brown leather doctor bag on the other. "Are you all done?"

"Just having problems with the food and Kris is still getting his hair done." Tao stands up and dusts off his hands.

Kai puts down his bags beside Tao's and lays down the bed. "Ah, it's been a while since we met. How're your classes?"

"It's been like a warm-up for hell already." Tao sighs and slumps on the bed. Kai scoots closer to Tao and wrapped Tao in his arms and put his leg over Tao's.

"At least, they're readying you for your future... You know, the afterlife," Kai says and in one swift move by Tao, he finds himself face-flat on the floor, wailing in pain.

"And I think by the time we've already arrived in hell, Kris still wouldn't be done styling his hair then." Tao stands up and approaches Kris. Tao attempts to ruin Kris' hair but Kris had the hunch he'll do just that so he elbowed Tao before he can get any closer to him.

"Serves you right," Kai says as he dusts off his pants. Poor Tao bends over, his arms on his stomach, wincing.

 

Finally, the boys already have their luggage in their hands, Kris' hair is already styled as he pleased, abandoned packs of chocolates and potato chips now sit inside Kris' closet, and the boys are looking at each other giving signals. When everyone signalled that they're ready, they all look straight ahead and focused on their inner selves.

Kai takes a look at the two who are too focused. "Okay. In 3..." The grip of the two on their luggage's handles tightens. "2..." Their knuckles have now turned white from the tension building up. "1!" They closed their eyes and in less than a second, they were gone.

 

The sea breeze and the sound of the crashing waves greet them. There were several cabins near the shore and temples, too. There were boats afloat with enthusiastic tourists that are watchful of the foreign place. Kai, Tao, and Kris are standing at the dock to scan the place.

"Welcome to Miyajima, Japan!" Tao cheerfully announces their arrival at their camping place.

It looks exactly the same as the picture they had found online a week ago. They planned the whole trip just a week ago. They had readied themselves two months prior to this to gain back their strength and focus a lot on this location. Of course, Kai didn't do the same as the two had. During those days, he spent his entire day and night on a different place and moved onto the next target place the other day. If you ask where he gets all that money, stocks exchange is where. He bought stocks in different huge companies that came from his daily allowance. Right after he has become an adult, he already bought stocks and just worked his off to earn more money for stocks. And now that he's 22, he has never felt so regretful of his decision. 

A man in his 60s approached them with a smile on his face. "Welcome, gentlemen! Do you need help with anything?"

"Uhm, can we rent a cabin here? For 2 nights and 3 days," Kris inquires.

"Sure." The old man leads them to the area where cabins are stationed. The three young men follow him and still look around. Probably, to plan the activities they'll do during their stay. "Here you go, guys," the old man tells them when they reached a medium-sized cabin. "These are the keys. Help yourselves from here." The man gives the keys to Kris and then left.

"I thought he'll at least give us a tour of the cabin or the island but he just left," Kris said dumbfounded with the keys in his hand.

Kai gets the keys from Kris' hand and opened the cabin.

“Perfect.” Kai says as his eyes sweep the entire place. Everything is made of wood—from the ceiling to the floor, tables to plates, and bed to closets. The scent of lavender and warm air welcomes them. The log cabin gives off a cosy and warm vibes. The two other guys followed.

They all surveyed the entire log cabin only to find out there are only two rooms...

"I'm rooming with Tao," Kris blurted out before Kai even opens his mouth.

"I was just about to ask if it's okay to have a room all to myself and you just kind of went like that so yeah..thanks," Kai said. 

Lately, he noticed how close Kris and Tao have been. But of course, he gets it that he's almost always gone because of his trips abroad. It's not that he's jealous of the different bond the two have. He knows that the two are his childhood bestfriends and the two who understand him the most since they share a common ability but he kind of have this little own world where he venture on getting used to his ability and making use of it to the limits because he can do just that unlike the two who have the same ability but they still can't grasp the how-to's of this they considered as blessing that was given to them when they were kids.

"So, are you like-uhm-planning to head off to somewhere while we're asleep? Or you know, wasted?" Tao asked suspiciously.

Even though Tao has never mentioned it, Kai knows how much Tao envies him. Tao doesn't envy him to the point that he'll get angry he can't take control over his ability like Kai can. He always wanted to go somewhere but ends up in a place far from what he has on his mind. He has tried to travel as much as Kai does but to no avail and sometimes his mom even finds out he used his ability. Whenever his mom finds out, he is suddenly enveloped with much guilt. He loves his mom too much he doesn't ever want to anger her or frustrate her. That's why he can't fully take control of his ability - he just loves his mom too much; he can't bear disappointing her.

 

"We don't have any more sake and barbeque," Kris disappointingly says. "I thought what we shopped was enough."

"It's okay, Kris. We can just ask Kai to teleport and buy all of those food for us." He winks and waits for Kai to respond.

Kai can be dubbed as the 'errand boy' in their small circle of friends. However, Kai doesn't find that offensive at all. Rather, he felt as if he has finally done something good and useful not only to himself but also for others. Although not needed, he always tell himself with great powers come with great responsibility.

"Sure. I don't mind at all. Where do you want me to buy your sake?"

 


It has been 30 minutes when Kai arrived from Amanogawa and it's already almost midnight and they've set up their tent and grill outside their cabin near the shore. The waves on the sea kiss their feet as they are seated by the shore. Watching the stars and kept at peace by the sound of the waves crashing.

"Still can't believe we all have ended up like this after 15 years...," Kai said. A hint of nostalgia evident on his tone of voice. For him, this is one of those nights he can't believe he has done something marvelous his entire life. He thought he'd be just any other regular man in Korea who waits for luck to finally strike him. He doesn't know what luck awaits for him his entire life...

"It has been what? 18 years now?" Kris starts talking rather seriously and nostalgic.

"Yeah, I can't even imagine how my life would have been if I didn't have this ability," Kai answers and took a bite of the barbeque on his left hand.

"Sure, I can't teleport as much as you do or instruct it to bring me exactly where I wanted to be but still those mishaps-turned-adventures are truly remarkable. It's fun to get lost actually." Tao smiles to himself as he remembers all those times he ends up in ladies' washrooms or in some guy's bathroom.

"Do you think this has an expiration date? Or like is it a credit card that has a limit of how many times we're only ever allowed to use?" Kris wonders and tucks his hair behind his ears.

"I don't know about the expiration date but I don't think there's a limit. I've used it for too many times now and it still never fails to amaze me," Kai tells them. "What if this ability is taken away from us one day? Without any notice or whatnot? How would you feel? Because honestly, I don't think I'd have anything to do with my life without this. It's like breathing, I can't live without it. It's not something like cigarettes and alcohol that I can just give up and still I'd be able to live. I'm afraid of the day this happens."

"I don't think it will happen." Kris says and Tao nods in agreement. Kai just stares at the sky full of shining stars amidst the darkness. That night, they drank in silence until they have fallen asleep inside the tent they have set up.



I don't think it will happen.

That's what Tao and Kris thought.

Kai didn't expect it to be so soon but when he wakes up, he no longer finds Kris and Tao beside him. He can't even hear the waves and feel the sea breeze. All he can hear is the muffled noise from outside the dim room he's currently in.

"Who are you?" Asked a lady's voice. She sounded so surprised and sad both at the same time.

"Where am I?" Kai asks in return. With the sudden teleportation to somewhere unfamiliar, he can no longer play cool like his usual self when in a foreign land.

"I am asking you! Who are you?" The lady asks but this time annoyance and anger are evident in her tone.

"Just tell me where the I am right now!" Kai shouts in despair. He can't think straight. No, he's not hangover. He's afraid. The thing he's most scared of has finally come.

"You're in your homeland, stupid. Now, tell me. Who the are you?"

"I'm Kai," Kai answers in a calm tone now. He suddenly became relaxed to know that he has landed to somewhere familiar though not that much.

"I'm Krystal. Do you mind stepping out of the room?"

He didn't even move an inch away.

Instead, he squinted his eyes to have a better view of the lady.

With a single move of the lady, the metal she holds glimmers. 

"What are you doing, Krystal?" Kai moves slowly towards her. So careful.

"Just go! I don't care what and who you are and how the you entered my room but please! Just. Let. Me. Die!" Krystal's voice trembled. It may sound so bold and threatening but the loneliness, the sadness, the despair are all noticeable in her voice.

Kai didn't know what to do. Is he supposed to jump on her and make her lose the knife in her hands? Or does he just tell her something that will catch her off-guard? He decides to the the previous. He jumps onto her when she's just an arm's length away from him.

Like a cliche romantic drama, Kai landed on top of her. For a moment, they look like they're about to kiss but he is no Song Joongki and she's not Song Hye Kyo...

"Great. If you didn't show up, I would've been dead by now. Shall I call you My Savior now?" Krystal laughs bitterly and pushed Kai to the side. "The show's over now, My Savior. I'll try harder next time." She left the room and Kai was just left in daze.

With great power comes with a great responsibility, Kai thinks.