Day 5646

Where Do I Go Next?

It has been exactly two months since Kai has never been home. No one knows where he is, where he has already went to, or where he’s going next—not even himself. The last night their family house has felt his presence was the same day he went missing at a national road.

That night he was last seen at home, he wrote letters for Krystal he never plans to send out. Piles and piles of hand-written letters were left on his table and no one dared to touch them. But today is different. Mrs.Kim was missing her son and went over her son’s things…

To: Sooyeon Jung

Sooyeon Jjajangmyeon, Jung-gu, Busan

            It’s me, Kim Jong In, your Kai. It seems like we haven’t seen each other for so long now since this letter got to you...,” Mrs.Kim stopped reading the letter and put it back inside the textured cream-colored envelope. She quickly went out her house and drove…all the way to Busan herself.

 

“Welcome to Sooyeon Jjajangmyeon! Anything I can help you with?” A young lady greets Mrs.Kim who’s already seated on a stool. She waits for Mrs.Kim’s response but the latter is busy looking at her from head down to her toes. “Ma’am?” She calls Mrs.Kim’s attention but to no avail.

Mrs.Kim must’ve felt the young lady’s uncomfortableness and so she finally spoke, “Such a beautiful young lady…”

The young lady obviously got flustered and denies. “Ah, no, no, ma’am. I mean, thank you. But may I already take your order?”

“By chance, are you…Sooyeon Jung?” Mrs.Kim asked a little too loud enough to be heard by an old lady manning the counter.

“My dear Sooyeon?”

Mrs.Kim looked at the old lady who just repeated the name of the very person she’s looking for. “You know her?” She slowly stands from her seat and approaches the woman by the counter.

“She’s my granddaughter. Why’d you ask? I haven’t seen her anymore after spending almost a month with her here. I really miss her now. Her scent in this restaurant is gone. How I wish I can still feel her presence with even just her scent.”

“If it’s okay with you, may I ask, where is she now?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never heard of her that much lately. The last time I heard about her was about three weeks ago…Her father came here asking me to make food for her and deliver it to their doorstep and do it every day for a week. I’ve never seen her once when I delivered food…I thought I’d be able to see a glimpse of her but not even a strand of hair I’ve seen…She’s back to being her self when her sister died.”

“What do you mean?”

“I keep on asking her to seek for a professional help but she just keep on refusing it, said no one can ever help her. She told me that only she can help her. If she wants to get better, she can get better. But I don’t think she’s done anything to help herself. She went on like that for years until this one boy came randomly in her life. She’s become like the little kid she had been. She finally went out, basked under the sun, smiled a lot more, and became livelier than ever.”

“Is that…boy’s name, Jongin?”

The old woman, who was lost in her story, staring off the distance, suddenly looks at Mrs.Kim, surprised that she knew. “How did you know?”

“I’m Mrs. Kim. I’m Jongin’s mother.” She bows in respect and waited for Krystal’s grandmother to let her be at ease.

Instead, she got light beatings from her. “What did you son do to my granddaughter? How did you raise him? Why is he being mean to her? What kind of person is he?”

Mrs.Kim hesitated for a moment but realized it would be better if she clears the misunderstanding sooner than later. “My son…he can teleport.” Tears start rolling on her cheeks uncontrollably. She clutched onto her handkerchief and bit her lips.

“You think I will buy that excuse? Believe me when I say I am not that old enough to just swallow up to your bull.”

“I hope you believe me when I say I am telling the truth.”

Krystal’s grandmother looked deeply into Mrs.Kim’s eyes, searching for the signs that she’s just lying but her eyes speak so loud saying it is the truth. She gives up and says, “How can he be in reality?”

“I ask the same too.”

Krystal’s grandmother moved, leaving a space for Mrs.Kim to sit. She motioned her to sit beside her but instead, Mrs.Kim knelt in front of her, hands on the elder’s knees asking for support. She cried and cried so hard as if trying to communicate with no words but only tears.

They were there for a minute or so, both crying for their own reasons.

When they both have calmed down, Mrs.Kim remained seated on the floor while Krystal’s grandmother’s sat on the couch. The elder run her fingers through Mrs.Kim’s hair, soothing her, making her more comfortable and calmed.

“It hurts right? Knowing that they’re alive but they can’t live…,” Krystal’s grandmother breaks the silence, staring off the distance as if trying to remember a distant memory.

“I don’t even know if he’s alive sometimes…I don’t know if one day, I’ll wake up and I wouldn’t know that my son’s dead and where is his body left at. I can never get a hold of him.”

“It’s the same with my Krystal. I cannot get a hold of her too. I know where I can find her at first but years have gone by and I still don’t know if she wants to be found…”

“Maybe Jongin has found her.”

“And has left her again…with nothing but false hopes and broken promises that he’d come back.” Krystal’s grandmother hesitated for a moment but she really wanted to understand how Kai can do what he can. “How did Kai get that? Teleportation, I mean. It’s silly for me to be just accepting your reason…I’m too old for superpowers, you see.”

“It happened when he was 7 years old. It was his birthday and used his birthday wish to ask for something all kids ask for—powers. Then it came true. He can teleport—he and his friends. When he was growing up, I did not allow him to teleport at all but how can I control him with that, right? For all I know, he leaves this country the moment my attention’s at else where. I knew but I didn’t do anything. Until this day, I do not know where he went.”

“Your story seems to be like one of those kids’ storybook… It’s absurd but,” she grabs Mrs.Kim’s hands and held onto it tight. “I can see honesty in your eyes… I wish we can see them both soon.”

“Soon.”