Day 5536

Where Do I Go Next?

The following days after meeting Krystal were nothing short of adventures. He has already been to Italy, Germany, and Australia without having to focus and he just teleported to those countries after every 24 hours. Just like any other day, he tries to focus hard on making himself teleport to somewhere familiar to him at least. Yes, he can just ride the bus or hail a cab to get him to his home but he actually teleported overseas and having a passport with him will still be useless without visa...

"C'mon, Kai. Focus, focus, focus." He tells himself. He is sat on a bench at a park in Taiwan. He has his eyes closed and tries to focus on picturing out the place where he wants to have himself teleported. To no avail, he opens his eyes and sighs. It's already 2 in the afternoon and children are playing at the park with their mothers. Teleporting from that area isn't a good idea but being in a cramped space while focusing isn't a better idea either.

He watches the children play and wonders how many of these kids wished for any skill at all on their birthdays. Or who are those whose birthdays are still yet to come and will wish for a skill. He wonders if their wishes will come true just like his and his friends'. Though this time, he wishes it won't come true for them. He doesn’t want these kids to end up like him. He has relied so much on his skill. He used it for so many times you'd think its fuel will have to run out someday...and that someday, he thinks, is now. 

"Mom, push me harder! I want to feel like I'm flying! Like Superman! I want to save the world!" The kid on the swing who is now barely swinging at all tells his mom to which she happily obliged. Kai thought of saving the world when he was younger. He wanted to save the world through teleportation but now, he just wants to save someone and given his situation, he doesn’t know how to fulfil that.

"But there's kryptonite to counter you. How will Chen save the world if he's vulnerable?" Her mom asked her child, who Kai supposes named Chen, before she lets go of him on the swing a few inches high.

The child swings through and through until his swing slows down a notch. "Mom, sometimes being you in front of other people saves them too. Not for it will let them think they're lucky because others have it worse but because they'd have the idea that others go through it too and understand you. You're not alone." 

"Who taught you that, Chen?" Her mother’s eyes flickered with confusion. She's maybe wondering where her son learned that. 

“My homeroom teacher, Teacher Jessica, mom."

"Your homeroom teacher last year?" Chen's mom asks and the child nods.

Kai shakes his head and tries to focus on teleporting. He closes his eyes once again when he feels someone tugging his pants.

“Sió-tī (older brother), come play with us.” Kai opens his eyes and see Chen looking at him with puppy eyes.

Chen’s mother quickly approached Kai and apologized. “I’m sorry, my son is just really hyperactive. Sorry for disturbing you.”

“No, he isn’t disturbing me at all. It’s okay.” 

“Sió-tī looks like Superman! Sió-tī, do you also have powers?” Chen innocently asks.

“Teleportation," Kai answers. He didn't mind telling Chen his secret and letting Chen's mom hear him because who would actually believe him, right? “Do you want to fly?”

“Yes! Yes! Yes! Do you also fly?” Chen excitedly answers.

“No, but I can make you fly.” Kai looks at Chen’s mom who just smiled at them nodding. He carries Chen on his back and ran around the park. Chen’s laughter echoed the entire place and Kai smiles to himself for making someone happy.

Kai played with Chen for an hour before his mom takes him to his father’s office. Kai was left at the deserted park. He sits on the bench where he sat earlier and looks at his watch – there’s only an hour left before he teleports somewhere else again. He wonders where he goes this time, wishing it’d be anywhere in Korea at least.

 

Kai fell asleep at the park and didn't notice that he has already left Taiwan. Opening his eyes, a greyscale portrait of himself greets him. He scans the place and realizes he ended up in his room back in Korea. He hurriedly gets himself out of his bed and goes into his mother's room. 

"Mom, I'm here. I'm back." He envelops his mom in a tight embrace, making his mother confused.

"Oh, you're back? Did you enjoy your vacation with Kris and Tao? You really missed me this much?"

Kai loosened his embrace to look at his mother. "Of, course!" Kai answered that even him makes him think... How would he enjoy his vacation with his friends if he ended up teleporting to a lady's - Krystal's - room on the very first night of it? Remembering this, he remembers the responsibility he has to fulfil. "I missed you so much, mom. But I'm worried I have to go somewhere else right now." He kisses his mother's cheeks and lets go of her. He waved at her and rushed to his room. He picks up the car keys from his working table and runs out of the house.

I can't save the world but I can try saving one person, Kai thinks.