Thieves (TaeNy) [2]

Short Story (Various Pairings)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What should I do?

 

 

I watched her typing furiously on the keyboard; windows popped up and disappeared in sequential fashion on the screen. Watching her work was nothing new to me, but I still didn’t fully understand what exactly she was doing or how she worked so quickly.

 


When I couldn’t stand the suspense any longer, I finally said, tentatively, “Hey, TaeTae?”

 


There was a pause before she responded, fingers still typing away, probably as she was so deeply concentrating on what she was doing. “What?”

 


“About what Yoona asked you earlier…what were you going to say?”

 


“Hell if I know.” Her speed on the keyboard decreased a bit.

 


Ignoring her insolence, I said, “I know we haven’t talked about it much, but wouldn’t you like to do something to celebrate? A year is pretty significant.”

 


I watched her profile and she frowned. Lifting her fingers from the keyboard for a moment, she said flippantly, “I’ll take you out for ice cream.”

 


She resumed tapping away again. “That’s it?”

 


Finally turning to face me, she grinned teasingly and said, “Yeah. I'd probably take you out to dinner first, but I don’t think my bank account can handle your appetite.”

 


“TaeTae, that’s mean!”

 


She suppressed a chuckle at her own wit and turned back to the computer. I got the feeling that she was purposefully trying to avoid making plans with me for our anniversary. I was more hurt by that than I was by her teasing remark about how much I eat. Just as I was about to prod her to discuss this with me some more, Yoona called down the basement steps.

 


“Unnies! You better want to see this.”

 


I could hear Sunny’s voice faintly in the distance. “Make sure you put your clothes back on first!”

 


“What the hell do they want now?” Taeyeon huffed grouchily. She grabbed my hand and began pulling me toward the stairs. “Come on. Better see what they want before they send Maknae down to get us.”

 


Upstairs we were met with their somber faces all looking expectantly at us. A different atmosphere had taken over the prior carousing and celebrating just moments before. Even Taeyeon’s irritation seemed to vanish upon seeing their serious expressions.

 


“What’s going on?” I asked.

 


Hyoyeon held up a scrap of parchment paper. “This was slipped under the door for us just now.”

 


Sooyoung frowned. “We were too busy drinking so we didn’t notice when exactly it was delivered.”

 


“What’s it say?” demanded Taeyeon, cranky after having been called back upstairs in the middle of her work.

 


Hyo handed her the note. “A counter group claims they’ve learned the location of the final work of Korean's Leonardo DaVinci. There’s another trigger that requires Tiffany’s fingerprints to unlock.”

 


“My fingerprints are needed again?!”

 


Taeyeon crumpled up the paper Hyo had handed her. “It says if we don’t hand her over quietly they’re going to kidnap her and reveal our identities to the authorities!”

 


“Don’t worry, Taeyeon-unnie,” assured Yoona. “We’d never consider handing Tiffany-unnie over to bad guys.”

 


I shot Yoona a cynical look. The fact that she actually had to spell it out like that made me think they had probably considered it, even if only for a moment. She caught my dark look and blanched before recovering to give me a light shrug.

 


“What are we going to do then?”

 


"Be calm and self-assured as always" Seohyun explained, “They’ve given us some time to consider. So I say we try to figure out where this location is and get the last tre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter