Thieves (TaeNy) [5]

Short Story (Various Pairings)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I couldn’t help thinking about Seohyun-ah’s fortune, even though I knew they almost never came true. When they did come to fulfillment, though, it was usually because of a likely coincidence with really good timing. So when the girls came back from their second location and Sooyoung was making ready to leave, I only hesitated because something seemed out of the ordinary.

 

“Where’s the stuff?” I asked, seeing them stroll back into the museum empty-handed.
 


The five of them exchanged looks and Yuri finally smirked at me. Pointedly, she asked, “What stuff?”
 


Ugh. She was teasing me because she probably figured out I wasn’t listening during Hyoyeon’s recap of the mission and wanted me to admit it. Was it a painting they were after this time? Jewels? A sculpture? I felt the embarrassment rising in my cheeks and I shook my head.
 


“N-never mind,” I stammered. “Are you ready to go, Sunny? I’m tired and I want to go home.”
 


“Sure thing,” she said, throwing her arm casually around my shoulders. “See you girls later!”
 


Not only did she walk me out to the car with her arm around me, but she also made sure to open the car door as well. Before getting in, Seohyun's fortune still fresh on my mind, I stopped to squint suspiciously at her face in the darkened night. It was just a friendly gesture, right? Sunny was always doing stuff like that.
 


Pushing the thought to the back of my mind, I slid into the front seat and she closed the passenger door behind me. She came around and flashed me a grin before inserting the key into the ignition and pointing the car in the direction of my apartment.
 


We rode in silence most of the way as I looked out the window at the moon sailing across the night sky. It saddened me to know that Taeyeon was so far away that there was no possibility that she could be looking at the same moon right now. It would be closer to noon where she was. The sun would be shining down on her.
 


I sighed lamentably.
 


“Is everything okay?” Sunny asked, breaking the silence. “You’ve been more quiet than usual since we finished the mission. Usually, you’re all chatty and excited after.”



I glanced over at her, her profile intermittently hidden in shadows as we drove under the passing street lamps. “I’m fine.”
 


She seemed to accept this at first, but after a beat, she noted, “You weren’t paying attention when Hyo and Maknae was detailing the mission, were you?”
 


“How does everyone know that?” I demanded.
 


Sunny chuckled. “You look so lost without Taeng around. Maybe she’s the one who keeps you in line all the time.”



I sank deeper into my seat at the mention of her name. It was true; I felt lost without Taeyeon. Tomorrow was our anniversary and my heart squeezed sourly at the thought. I glanced at the digital display on the dash and saw that it was past midnight. Our anniversary was actually today. I pondered picking up my phone and calling Taeyeon just to hear her voice, but thought better of it. It was the middle of the work day where she was and she was on a business trip. I shouldn’t interfere.


Attempting to distract myself, I tried picking up the conversation with Sunny. “All right, you got me. I wasn’t paying attention tonight,” I admitted, ruefully. “So what was it that you girls were after this time anyway? It’s very strange that you had to make two stops.”


There was something in the silhouette of Sunny's faint smirk that seemed a little off to me. Though, all she said was, “You’ll find out soon enough.”


We arrived at my apartment and I was about to go in first when Sunny stopped me by placing her hand on my shoulder. I turned to look at her questioningly and saw a rather serious expression had smoothed her features. Her eyes were stern as she told me, “I should go in first. You know, to check it out…just in case.”
 


I only nodded, feeling a sudden sense of dread come over me. I hadn’t thought about anyone lying in wait for me at my home

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter