Different Path In Love

The Love

Kris was standing in the middle of the empty basketball courts. His dribbling was unenthusiastic and weak. His mind was preoccupied with the thoughts of Yoonhee and Kai. Since when they get so close? The more he thought of them together, the more uneasy he grew. Kris caught the ball and looked around. He half-expected Yoonhee to show up, so they could spend some time together. As always. Like before. Just like when he was still short, ugly, and get bullied in junior high. However, she was nowhere to be seen. Kris shoulders deflated in disappointment. He aimed and shot the ball into the net. Still, he wasn’t satisfied. His heart felt empty and his mind flew back to the past.

---

3 years ago.

After basketball practice, Yoonhee saw couple of students from a basketball team slammed few basketballs to a boy and leave. She get mad at the scene and run towards the boy to help him stand. “Are you okay?”

Kris just shrugged her off and start picking up the basketballs.

Feeling bad, she went to help. “You don’t have to help me.” He said.

“It’s all right. I have nothing to do while waiting for my dad to pick me up.” She replied.

“You saw it?” He uneasily reference to the earlier event when he get smacked with a basketball.

“Hmm. Yeah.” Yoonhee weakly nodded.

“Don’t worry, they won’t bullied you. You’re pretty and they won’t harm you.” Kris honestly tell.

“Why? You wanna get pretty too so they won’t bullied you?” Yoonhee teased.

“That’s not what I meant!” He shook his head and tossed a basketball into the box.

“Nice aim.” Yoonhee whistled, impressed. “You should join the school’s team.”

“They were tell me to remember my place. I know I’m just too short and ugly. Basketball team will be too embarrassed to have me.” He ducked his face.

“Who dares to say that? Look, we’re still in the 9th grade. Get a grip of yourself and start to prove that they’re wrong. About height, we’re still grow. You’re not ugly. You’re just haven’t pass the puberty, that’s all. You can do this. We can do this!” Yoonhee smiled.

Kris giggled and gazed softly at her, “Thank you, Song Yoonhee.”

---

“Yoonhee-ah.”

“Hmm?” Yoonhee replied while picking up another of her book.

“The weekend is here. Do you want to go out with me tomorrow?” Kai asked.

Yoonhee froze with wide eyes. *G-go out?! As in a date?!* She stared at him. “You still owe me lunch, remember?” His eyes twinkled. *Oh. Right. The ‘bribe’.* She flushed for assuming that he was asking her out on a date. “S-sure, Kai.” Yoonhee smiled shyly.

“Great. I’ll pick you up at noon.” Kai offered.

“Deal.” She agreed and he grinned widely at her.

---

Ding Dong.

Yeobo! Can you get the door?” Mrs. Song called from the kitchen.

Mr. Song opened the door widely and was thunderstruck by the new guest.

Kai looked very lax in jeans and a collared shirt. He flashed a too-friendly grin at Yoonhee’s appa. “Annyeonghaseyo abeonim.”

“Who the hell are you calling me abeonim?” Mr. Song bluntly questioned.

“I’m Yoonhee’s boyfriend. My name is Kim Jongin.”

Mr. Song pinched his eyebrows together in distaste. *Yoonhee? How?* A protective part of him wanted to throw this boy out of his property. Before he could do anything, Mrs. Song appeared in the doorway. “Oh! Who is this?”

“Hello, omonim.” Kai bowed. “I am Yoonhee’s boyfriend, Kim Jongin.”

“Omo! You’re so handsome!” Mrs. Song shook his hand enthusiastically. “I’m Yoonhee’s mother! Please take care of her!”

“Don’t worry omonim.” Kai smiled with a polite nod.

“Oh, Kai! You’re here already!” Yoonhee showed up from behind.

Mr. Song spun around and gaped at her. *She knew he was coming?! Did they plan something? What the hell!*

“Yeah, I’m sorry. There was no traffic, so I got here a little earlier. I hope that’s okay with you.” Kai said.

“Yeah, no worries. I’m just about to ready anyways. Let me just get my purse.” Yoonhee went back upstairs. Mr. Song looked back at Kai and darted up the stairs.

“Would you like some juice?” Mrs. Song asked. Kai politely declined.

Yoonhee’s door was open and Mr. Song rapidly entered her room. “Yoonhee, are you going out with that boy?!”

“Hmm? Oh, yes. We’re going out for lunch.” Yoonhee tucked her clutch under her arm.

*Lunch?! As in a date?!* Mr. Song gulped. Panic seized his heart. “W-when will you be back?”

“I’m not sure.” She replied. His shoulders drooped.

Yoonhee looked at her dad. “Do you want me not to go dad?”

“Don’t go. Don’t go anywhere with a boy. I can’t stand the idea of you growing up so fast and now spending time with a boy.* Mr. Song had no courage to say that because it means that he’s not a cool dad. If he’s being overprotective then his daughter would hate him. He looked away and mumbled, “Be careful.”

Yoonhee leaned on his shoulder. “I’ll see you later dad.” She walked past him.

*Damn.* Glumly, Mr. Song followed her downstairs.

“I’m ready. Let’s go.” Yoonhee smiled.

“Okay.” Kai nodded.

Yoonhee looked at her mom. “Bye, umma!”

“Bye Yoonhee! Goodbye, Kai!” Yoonhee’s mother waved and Kai bowed once more to Yoonhee’s parents.

---

Kai drove Yoonhee to a popular seafood restaurant in Insadong.

“Wow... this place looks really nice.” She looked around.

They ordered sushi and conversed over the delicious meal.

“Do you want to go to the Han River?” Kai asked.

“Sure. I love that place.” Yoonhee smiled.

They got up and walked over to the counter. Kai held out his credit card and paid. After that, he turned her to the door. “Let’s go. I’ll buy you coffee before going to the Han River.”

They went to a coffee shop, bought iced coffees, and went to the Han River. Languidly, they walked down the pathway and sipping their coffee.

She cleared and looked out at the river. “Oh look! A ferry!” Yoonhee skipped over and leaned over the railing. “It’s so pretty!”

“Do you want to ride it now?” Kai asked.

Her eyes shined like a moonlight. “We can?!”

“Why not?” He shrugged. “Come on.” He held out his hand. She took it and they walked to the pier together.

Kai bought the tickets and they boarded the ferry hand-in-hand.

“Can we go to the second floor?” Yoonhee asked.

“Sure.” He nodded.

She broke away from his grasp and ran upstairs.

*Such a kid.* He chuckled and shook his head.

Yoonhee reached the end of the boat and looked out at the glistening waters. “It’s so beautiful!” She began to snap pictures of the breathtaking scenery.

The ferry began to move and she jumped up in excitement. “It’s moving! Oh my god!”

Kai looked at her, amused. “Are you that excited?”

“Are you kidding me? I loved this feeling of floating!” Yoonhee grinned.

Together, they watched the scene in peace. Kai turned his head and watched her elated face. “Yoonhee-ah.”

“Yes?” Her eyes were focused on the Seoul Tower.

“Are you happy?” He asked.

She beamed and nodded. “I’m very happy right now.”

“Me too.” Kai whispered. *I’m happy because I’m here with you.* He tilted his head towards her, looked up at the blue sky, and sighed in content.