Theron's Author's Note

8:01

Hello, Theron and Ochy here!

First of all, I would like to give my utmost appreciation to my friend, Ochy- for trusting me to bring her ideas, illustrations and story to life. It is intriguing, mesmerizing and tugged at our heartstrings. 8:01 has been an amazing journey as our first collaboration together. It has been a great honor and pleasure working with her, we'll definitely be back to give you even more (and better) stories together. Thank you, buddy! 

Secondly, thank you, readers! For reading, subscribing, up-voting- and oh, we have been reading your comments. (Did we mentioned that we really enjoyed reading all your comments?) We are so grateful to see all your thoughts and liking towards this story! This author's note explains some hidden gems in the story. No deep morals this time but this may help to ease some confusion/ questions formed along the way. 

8:01 takes place somewhere between life, death and dreams- where Taeyeon seek her lover, Tiffany Hwang, as she was in a comatose state. The beginning was sweet, touching, fluffy and forms the basis of our understanding towards the relationship Taeyeon and Tiffany had. It was dreamlike, almost perfect- such as Taeyeon hallucinating a scenario of the souvenir shop selling merchandise of hers and Tiffany's favorite characters. Tiffany was depicted as a huge part of Taeyeon's life and frequently, her presence is proved to be a source of security, warmth and comfort to Taeyeon. 

Taeyeon started feeling discomfort as the days passed. Taeyeon weakened daily- her physical condition, in reality, is closely linked to her health in the dreamlike atmosphere. The headaches, the stiffness and the sudden pain suggested the attempts of the doctors to revive her and deteriorating condition. Tiffany's disappearance is linked to her drifting in and out of life and death, coupled with Taeyeon's awareness of how unrealistic everything is.

Subconsciously, Taeyeon is aware that Tiffany is no longer around thus Tiffany's indifference in some point of time such as Taeyeon's pain and her own 'disappearance'. Taeyeon doesn't know how to have Tiffany answer her questions if she were to ask "Where have you gone?" or Tiffany asking "Why are you in pain?" Taeyeon relied solely on Tiffany and chose to say "It's okay" because her love outweighs every doubt she had in her mind. Even in the most drastic situation such as the immense pain, Tiffany played an importance that made Taeyeon fine again. As long as Taeyeon had Tiffany, Taeyeon is invincible. 

The watch plays a huge part in the story; making you ponder about why is Taeyeon so obsessed with it and the time. The watch was a representation of Tiffany and every day, the reality sinks into Taeyeon which she fiercely fights to keep Tiffany with her. Tiffany made subtle attempts to persuade Taeyeon to let go of the watch; a metaphor to let her go and continue living. She succeeds in persuading Taeyeon to remove it but Taeyeon; stubborn and in love, couldn't live without Tiffany. 

Was Tiffany a fragment of her imagination? Or a ghost? I would say it's a mixture of both. We could see how Tiffany was uncomfortable and 'unwell' in some point of time- which Taeyeon probably wouldn't want Tiffany to be that way in her dream. Tiffany, even after death, lingered to protect Taeyeon. She clings on to Taeyeon, hoping to spend any time possible in the space that Taeyeon had created. In the end, Tiffany solemnly accepts that Taeyeon would do anything to follow her and comforts her by reminding her of the love they shared.

Juhyun made an appearance in her dream, suggesting that Taeyeon had worries left behind. In the perfect dream state she has created, Taeyeon- kind, loving and caring, remembered the people she cares about. Juhyun, who equally cares about Taeyeon watched her take her last breath with the reassurance that she will be okay; the trust between the two was everlasting and genuine. The watch was entrusted with Juhyun and she holds it dear to her heart; in the present, both Taeyeon and Tiffany will always live through her. 

This whole series is wrapped up with 8:02 as an epilogue and as the title suggested- time has moved on. 

Once again, thank you for reading this short series. Your support is well received and greatly appreciated.