8:01

8:01

The machines beeped incessantly in the ward. The doctor and nurses surrounded the bed, discussing the information the medics had collected. They threw glances at the heavily bandaged brunette on the bed as they spoke- with a massive amount of tubes from the IV drips, heart monitor and oxygen tank attached to her. Her once porcelain skin were decorated with darkened bruises, scratches and stitches. 

Kim Taeyeon, aged 28. A North Jeolla born Korean who currently resides in Seoul. She was a secretary who works under the Seo Publishing Company. Taeyeon was sent to the hospital 5 days ago due to an unfortunate car accident on the highway. Taeyeon and her girlfriend, Tiffany Hwang, were driving to a restaurant for dinner that evening. Under the influence of alcohol, a truck driver had run the red light and slammed into the Mercedes. The car revved off its course and was sent hauling off the bridge. The impact instantly killed Tiffany Hwang. Taeyeon had miraculously survived the accident. However, she was in a critical condition and has been in a state of coma ever since she was admitted. 

The doctor shook his head when Taeyeon's heart rate steadily dropped on the monitor. Despite their efforts to revive her, 80% of Taeyeon's organs are failing due to the impact. There was blood in her skull, spinal cord dislodged and plenty of fractured bones that are lodged in her organs. The nurses sent their utmost condolences and regretfully dialed the number in their records. 

//////////

Juhyun barged in through the hospital gates, apologizing to a patient she had frightened. Clenching her phone in her hand, Juhyun hurried up the steps and was barred entry into the ward. The magnolia white wall and the team of nurses rushing in and out of the wards sent a Juhyun in a state of anxiety. She buried her face in her trembling palms as she sunk into the chair outside Taeyeon's ward.

"Please," she pleaded and clasped her hands in a prayer, "Taeyeon, please hang in there."

She jolted upright when the door creaked opened. Juhyun greeted the medical team with a polite bow. With a solemn smile, the doctor ushered Juhyun into the room. 

"Come in," he said and Juhyun wrapped her arms around herself at the tensed atmosphere. The medical team respectfully stood aside to provide them with privacy but positioned to step in when necessary. 

The hum of the machines and her once talkative best friend laid silent on the bed greeted Juhyun. The reality of the situation that Juhyun denied froze the brunette in her steps. The sight sent a wave of sorrow in Juhyun, her hand flew over in reflex as she stared at the state of her best friend. Juhyun couldn't bite back the sob as she cautiously approached Taeyeon. 

"We tried our best." 

Juhyun broke down into tears, letting a muffled cry escaped her quivering lips. With permission from the doctor, Juhyun took a seat beside the comatose Taeyeon and gently reached for her hand. She noticed the clenched fists. 

"We couldn't get it out of her hands." The doctor broke the silence, "She has been holding on to it ever since she was admitted."

Juhyun recognized the tattered leather strip peeking through her fingers. It was a watch.

The watch that Tiffany had begged Juhyun to accompany her last December as she shopped for as a Christmas present for Taeyeon. Juhyun remembered that despite Tiffany's whining about Taeyeon's requests, she eagerly sourced every possible store to get that perfect watch. She could still remember the bright smile on Tiffany's face as she finally found it, the innocent grin on Taeyeon's when she unwrapped the present and the warmth of their Christmas dinner despite the blistering cold. Juhyun recalled the laughter, warm hugs and heartfelt conversation of her best friends. It was cruel; so cruel and Juhyun let her agonized sobs rang above the beeping of the machines. 

"Taeyeon," Juhyun cried and clasped her hand over Taeyeon's," I'll keep the watch for you. I promise."

Taeyeon's immediately loosen her grip and Juhyun trembled in misery. She removed the watch from her hold and slipped her hands between the slackened ones. 

"Everything will be okay," Juhyun whispered through her tear soaked face, "Go."

"Tiffany is waiting for you." 

The machines hummed, a loud noise rang in the confined space and there was a flat line on the monitor. 

Juhyun cried into the watch she clenched in her hands. 

It reads 8:01.