Great Thief Zelo

We Make it Work... Most of the Time?

 

The town streets were always packed during the afternoon. Some were getting off work while others were about to start, completing errands, on a lunch break, or maybe they were relaxing on their day off. Children getting out of school favored stopping by ice cream stands or stuffing their faces with fresh baked goods- all but one child.

His face was covered by the hood of his cloak as he gracefully weaved in between the unsuspecting people like a dance. Eyes constantly moving, looking for not only the easiest pockets to pick but also escape routes and any possible dangers. Once he picked a target, their belongings were gone before they could even blink. After years of being on the streets, Junhong mastered everything there was to stealing and surviving by the age of 7.

 

Rumors about Junhong began to circle around after a few close calls with the police and even the Dragon Guard. Some were ridiculous, going as far to say he was some sort of monster brought to this world to stir trouble. Others made up a simpler story of a boy who had no one, left alone to fend for himself. No one knew the true origin of this boy, they didn’t even know his name or where he came from. The only thing they had on the boy was a vague description that could, quite honestly, match any child and a made up name the people yelled at him when he was caught stealing: Zelo.

 

Junhong was surprised when he first heard the name, thinking that they were mistaking him for someone else. When he realized the townspeople had actually given the time and thought to name this mysterious thief, it gave him an odd warm feeling of finally being noticed, but that feeling was quickly buried when logic took over; if people noticed him enough to give him a name, soon they would be able to spot him before he did anything. Instead of doing the more suitable option of laying low until everything blew over, Junhong rode his misplaced fame, growing braver with how much he stole, and became bolder when choosing the empty vacation homes he would break into to escape the harsh cold nights.

 

People became obsessed with trying to catch the thief, demanding the inadequate police to do their job or questioning the Dragon Guard as to why they could not catch a measly child. Shopkeepers started to set up their own ganky traps in hopes to finally end their suffering but nothing could stop Junhong. Whenever someone came close to catching the child he would break free with surprising strength and yell “No one can stop Zelo, the greatest thief in history!” as he ran away disappearing as quickly as he appeared. More people began to believe in the rumors about a monster who came from the shadows in the form of a child, sent from the depths to bring misfortune wherever it went.

 

One night as Junhong was looking for a new place to take refuge from the searing summer night, he stumbled across a lady sitting on the ground in an alley propped up against a trashcan. Around her neck was a simple golden chain accented with a few small dangling gems, but in the center of the necklace was a teal diamond about the size of a child’s fist. Junhong had never stolen useless things like jewelry because selling it without being questioned would have been impossible, but something about the diamond called out to him. Hearing footsteps approaching, Junhong snatched the necklace and slipped into the shadows, hastily making his way to an abandoned house to rest.

 

When Junhong awoken the next day, he could hear the normal hustle of the afternoon rush. He took out the stolen jewelry and examined it once more before pocketing it and left the house as if nothing had entered it to begin with. Walking down the street scoping out his next meal, Junhong overheard today’s gossip. Instead of being about the typical mundane problems it was about a valuable treasure that had been stolen off some important lady. Junhong was in too much of a panic to hear the rest, forgetting about lunch, he made a beeline for the children’s park and hid in a plastic tunnel.

 

What am I supposed to do? What is going to happen to me if they catch me? Will I die? I don’t want to find out. Questions swirled around his head as he tried to find a solution. Maybe I could throw it at the police and run. That was his best bet but when he touched the diamond in his pocket the unknown feeling came back to him. No… I want to keep it, there has to be another way. Junhong left the playground and looked for another solution, hiding his cringe whenever a policeman or dragon rider passed him.

 

The answer to his problem came in the form of a wagon leaving the town. Junhong had hitched rides from wagons before and it was his preferred way of traveling from town to town. Praying luck was on his side, Junhong silently jumped into the back of a leaving wagon and hid between a few boxes. Thankful that he always traveled with a few supplies of food and water in his bag, Junhong was able to fight off his hunger until he reached the new town. Quietly he jumped out of the wagon then dashed between the nearest buildings. He finally took a breath of relief, the great thief Zelo was able to get away without a problem. Junhong waited for nightfall so he could take advantage of the shadows to learn the layout of the town. He noticed that this town was smaller than most and did not have any special landmarks, what he did find was a map on a bulletin board that showed the land around the town.

 

Fatigue soon kicked in as he looked at the map, deciding that he did enough today and no one was going to discover the stolen jewel in his bag, Junhong found a park playground and settled down in one of the hard plastic crawl tunnels. When sunlight forced him to wake up, Junhong walked backed to the map, eating the last of his food. The map showed that this town was a checkpoint for the town he was previously at and the town next over.

 

“This isn’t the safest place to be.” Junhong mumbled under his breath as his eyes scanned the map for the best location to settle at. There was a nameless small faded village just south of this town, it was easy to miss if someone did not know the village existed and Junhong’s best bet to live a peaceful life until everything blew over. Even if they never stop looking for the necklace it will be easy to hide and it’s not like I’m going to wear it around. Junhong did not know why he was so keen on keeping the necklace but then again he never thought about the why, and probably never will. He simply blamed it on the fact thieves never return what they stole, and the great thief Zelo was no exception.

 

Walking down an overgrown beaten path he assumed lead to the village, Junhong was faced with another problem. This was a small village meaning everyone knew everyone, they were not going to just accept the sudden appearance of a 12 year old kid. Maybe I could just say I’m lost and have nowhere else to go. Yeah that worked before, it will surely work again… I hope. Junhong went over his fake sob story a few times as he enjoyed the change of nature around him. The scenery walking to the village was a lot different from other places traveled, most of the land was flat but here it seemed like the earth didn’t want to stop forming hills. By the time he made it to the outskirts of the village, the sun was slowly nearing sunset, the blue sky just about to turn orange.

 

There were a few kids outside playing around near the farms, yet no one was tending to said farms. Junhong assumed everyone went inside to start dinner and the kids were left on their own. Taking advantage of the absent adults, Junhong was able to pick a few fruit and was so happy when he stumbled upon a patch of cherry tomatoes, he couldn’t stop himself from snacking on a few. Once Junhong had all his goods hidden away in his trusty bag, he finally took a deep breath and approached the kids still play outside. When a young girl around his age noticed him, she immediately ran up to him.

 

“Hello! Who are you? Why are you here? Where are you from? I’m Jisu, nice to meet you!” The girl- Jisu- said all in one breath. It was pretty impressive, though it caught Junhong completely off guard for some reason or another. He should of been expecting these questions but his mind came up blank and froze his mouth looked like a fish gulping for air. Suddenly, as if Harmonia herself was blessing Junhong, the elderly woman who was watching over the children interrupted.

 

“Well if it isn’t my grandson, I was wondering when you were arriving, your mother never tells me anything these days. Now come here so I can get a better look at you.” The elderly woman said, gesturing for Junhong to come closer. Not knowing what to do he walked closer to the elder and hoped she did not realize he was not her grandson. As the elder examined his face, the children whispered behind him.

 

“I thought the old hag’s family left her here because they didn’t want her anymore.” One child explained. Junhong honestly felt bad for the older woman; he knew that feeling of abandonment all too well.

 

“Maybe they don’t want him eith- Ouch! What was that for.” Another child was about to add more but was interrupted by an elbow to the ribs.

 

“Hush, you’re being rude.” The kid who elbowed the other replied in such a soft voice, Junhong struggled to hear. He was thankful when the whispering was interrupted by the elderly lady once more.

 

“You must be tired from all your traveling. Come children it is time to go home, your parents are waiting and I need to take my grandson home.” They kids wanted to protest but the older woman had already turned and began walking towards her home. Watching the other children walk off to their own houses, Junhong took this moment to question what he was going to do. Instead of taking all his options and finding the best outcome, Junhong started to follow the woman, Junhong could think all he wanted but nothing is going to change the fact that: one it was going to be nightfall so traveling was impossible, two he was deadly tired from the walk here, three there could be wild animals and four he could just leave tomorrow morning without anyone noticing.

 

When he entered the small house the elderly lady sat him down at the table in the kitchen and proceed to turn on the stove to warm up whatever was in the pot. She came back to sit down across from Junhong, looking him straight in the eye.

 

“I know you are not my grandson, the children were right when they rudely said I was abandoned here by my family. You care for someone with all your heart and they repay you by dumping you somewhere so they do not have to deal with you. Some children I raised.” The elderly woman complained but Junhong was to focused on the part where she confessed to him not being her grandson. What is going to happen to me? Should I run? Junhong was panicking, but the woman seemed to notice and placed her hand on his shoulder trying to sooth the child.

 

“There is no need to look so frightened, child. I’m just a lonely old woman who always wanted grandchildren but never got to see them. I assume you are not here visiting since no one said anything about family coming by. Your clothes seem worn and dirty as if you have been living on the streets... Is that true? If it is, then would you be willing to grant this old woman her dream of having a grandchild?” The elderly woman had taken her hand and folded it in her lap with the other, she smiled at him gently, eyes twinkling with warmth and something inside Junhong broke, was it the loneliness spilling through the cracks or maybe it was the offer of a home where he did not have to worry about being caught. Whatever that feeling was it certainly overpowered the logical side of his brain, throwing all possible dangers out the window. Junhong nodded his head and the elderly woman smiled even brighter.

 

“I should have asked this before, but do you mind telling me your name and age? Also, why did you come here of all places? Surely there are better places out there then this sad forgotten village, I’m not harbouring a fugitive am I?” She laughed softly, covering with a hand. Junhong gave a nervous chuckle but made sure to cover it up by answer the old lady.

 

“My name is Junhong, I’m 12… I came here because I was traveling town to town and thought it might be a nice change of scenery.” He rubbed the back of his neck giving her a sheepish smile. It wasn’t a complete lie, really he just left out the part about being the thief Zelo and the stolen necklace in his bag. Surely she wouldn’t notice him hiding information. Before he could fester in doubt, the elder laughed once more.

 

“Junhong is such a handsome name for a handsome boy. You may call me grandma but if that makes you uncomfortable then Ms.Choi works as well.” Junhong nodded at Ms.Choi as she got up from her seat. She walked to the cupboard and grabbed two bowls for the soup. She placed one bowl in front of Junhong with a spoon and sat back down with her own. They ate dinner sharing small details about their lives. Junhong learned that Ms.Choi’s husband had pass about 10 years ago and that was when her 2 daughters and 3 sons left her at the small nameless village, which did in fact have a name, Daffodil Bridge but it was so easily forgotten. Junhong in turn told her about the different towns he had been to and how he would dance in front of music shops dreaming of becoming a performer until the shop owners came out to drive him away.

 

“It is getting late. I’ll introduce you to the rest of the village tomorrow afternoon. I hope you don’t mind sleeping on the couch. We can prepare the other room tomorrow as well.” Ms.Choi explained as she brought out a blanket and pillow for Junhong.

 

“Good night Junhong.”

 

“Good night… grandma.” Junhong whispered quietly, face turning red, why was he so embarrassed, was it because he never had a family before or was he too happy to finally have one. Ms.Choi turned off the lights and headed into her room. Junhong closed his eyes and soon found himself dreaming about soft pastel pastures and soaring through bright skies.

 

The next afternoon was the most hectic day in Junhong’s life and he's ran from the Dragon Guard before. It was a whirlwind of introductions, rules, questioning looks, and the worst of all a chores list. Apparently since the village is so small children often help out around the farms, Junhong didn’t know if he could survive. Ms.Choi took pity on the overwhelmed child and dismissed him to join the other children. There were 14 kids including him, among the other children there was a boy named, Jongup. He was more on the quiet side but that did not stop them from becoming friends within days of Junhong’s sudden arrival.

 

Most of the other kids ignored Junhong and he tried to make it seem like it didn’t bother him, he was used to being alone but deep down it still hurt. It was a hot summer day and Junhong was unsure what he had to do, he was given a farming tool and was pointed in a general direction, too scared to ask the intimidating farmer any questions he wondered to where the man pointed. A boy his age, Jongup if he remembered correctly, came up to him.

 

“Do you need help? No offence but you look like a lost puppy.” Jongup said in a gentle calming tone, he smiled at the taller boy. Junhong nodded his head so quickly he almost gave himself whiplash. Jongup chuckled at the other boy and told him what he was supposed to do. He even stayed around to make sure Junhong was doing everything correctly. During the afternoon break Jongup showed Junhong his tiny music collection and they both discovered the other liked to dance. They were so caught up in their own little world they forgot to finish their chores. After a light hearted scolding from Jongup’s parents the duo ran out to the fields with new found determination to finish quickly so they could dance some more. It was after that day they became inseparable, wherever one went the other followed. During the hush of night they would sneak out to lay on a hillside and look up at the stars. They would talk for hours under the dim light of the moon, Jongup would tell Junhong all the gossip or stories he’s heard around the village, while Junhong would tell Jongup about his life as Zelo the greatest thief, Jongup would look at him with pure awe as he weaved tales of his victories, but not once did he mention the necklace that brought him here.

 

As the weeks turned into months, Junhong slowly transitioned to the life of a farm boy, sure there are days he wished he could go back to his old thieving days but then he remembers his new life in Daffodil Bridge and wouldn’t want it any other way.

Four years had past when Ms.Choi passed, leaving a devastated 16 year old Junhong behind. Jongup made sure to stay close, never leaving Junhong’s side threw his grieving state. A week after her passing Junhong found a letter written to him from his granny. The letter read,


 

Dear Junhong,

I know my time is coming to an end and deep down I know you know it to. I wish I could make this easier for you but sadly nothing can make it easier, but know people are there to help you. They understand how hard it is to lose a loved one.

Honestly the real reason to the letter was to thank you for everything you have done for me. Before you came to the village I was a sad lonely old lady waiting for my time to come, but when you agreed to stay with me, it felt like a heavy weight was lifted off my shoulders.

One day I had no one and the next I had a grandson, most would have called me crazy for taking in a random kid off the streets, but they can say whatever they please because I would have not changed it for the world.

They joy you brought me over the years by just saying good morning and smiling gave me the strength to get thru the day. I have honestly never felt this happy ever since I lost my husband, but thanks to you can I pass with a smile on my face and my soul filled with love.

Now you and Jongup better stay out of serious trouble and make sure to eat well. And don’t forget to shower after you dance for a long time because no one likes a smelly boy.

Lastly just remember the pain you are feeling right now will turn into a memory, and the memories will begin to bring happiness. I will always be watching over you so don’t do anything stupid.

    Love, Granny

 

Tears streamed down Junhong’s face as he clutched the letter close to his chest as Jongup rubbed his back, pulling him into a comforting embrace. They stayed like that until they fell asleep on the floor, letter still held tightly in Junhong’s hands. It was still hard some days but Junhong was able to find the good in life again and with Jongup by his side he was able to smile again.

 

Life on the farm started again for Junhong but he still couldn't stay in granny’s house the memories were still too fresh. Jongup’s family agreed to let Junhong live with them even tho it was a tight fit. Working on the farm wasn’t bad but something felt missing from Junhong’s life, so when life threw a wrench at him in the form of Jongup’s dragon partner, Dadamato, literally crashing into them from the sky, Junhong tagged along with the duo to the Kingdom of Silmul, where the Dragon Guard’s headquarters was located. It was about a week’s worth of travel from Daffodil Bridge to the kingdom and Dadamato constantly complained about just flying there, but both Junhong and Jongup were too scared to try flying without any experience or equipment. Hell, they didn’t even know how to sit on a dragon let alone ride one. Plus Junhong wasn’t blessed with a mark so he definitely did not want to risk falling to his death. Oh how wrong he was.

 

When the trio arrived at the Dragon Guard HQ they were greeted by two other dragon riders with three dragons that looked similar to Dadamato. One had a red gasmask and a camouflage pattern. Another one had a pink mask with a gray plus sign on it’s forehead and tattoo patterns on it’s front legs. Lastly one had a sky blue mask with a gray oil spill pattern on it’s head and around it’s neck, There were gray rings around its front legs and on top of it’s head was a crank key. The one with the sky blue mask stared straight into Junhong’s eyes. It creeped Junhong out, he tried to ignore the dragon’s stare by paying attention to the others and what they were talking about but he couldn’t.

 

“What do you want?” Junhong finally asked the staring blue masked dragon.

 

“It looks like you’re my partner.” The blue masked dragon replied.

 

“What do you mean? I don’t have a mark.” Junhong was in shock. Why would this dragon think he was it’s partner?

 

“But you understand me and I can feel our connection.” The blue masked seemed a bit in shocked as well, confused as to why it’s human partner was not accepting it like all the other duos had with their partner.

 

“Junhong, your mark is on the back of your right shoulder blade.” Jongup stopped his conversation with the two dragon riders to inform his best friend about his mark.

 

“WHAT!? When was this?” Junhong was absolutely surprised by this new information. All his life Junhong believe he was a normal human being with the exception of being a thief.

 

“You mean you never knew?” Now Jongup was confused about his friend’s lack of knowledge about his own mark. Surely he was joking, society held marks to such a high value it was impossible for someone to not notice their mark… right?
 

“No! Why didn't you tell me?” Junhong took off his shirt right then and there, looking over his left shoulder trying to get a good look at this so called mark. Just as Jongup said, there was a sky blue gear resting on the back of his left shoulder.

 

“I thought you knew.” Jongup felt bad for not bringing it up earlier, he thought Junhong knew and that was why he came along with him and Dadamato.

 

“Soooo…… do we match umm.... My so called dragon friend?” Junhong asked the sky blue masked dragon, making sure to show it his newly discovered mark.

 

“Of course we match. I’m Totomato but you may call me Toto. What should I call you my so called human friend?” The dragon replied giggling at Junhong as he struggled to put his shirt back on.

 

“The name is Junhong.” He grinned at his new dragon friend. A strange warm feeling began to fill his body, he recognized it instantly, it was the feeling he got whenever he was with Granny, the feeling of family.

 

“I’m surprised you didn't notice it sooner because we talked almost the whole way here.” Dadamato stated killing the touching moment by bringing up Junhong’s lack of knowledge.

 

“Can normal people not understand dragons?” Growing up on the streets Junhong never learned about dragons or the mark. He just knew to avoid the Dragon Guard.

 

“What do you know about the mark and dragons?” One of the dragon riders entered the conversation. He introduced himself as Himchan if Junhong remembered correctly.

 

“Absolutely nothing…” It was the truth.

 

“How is that even possible?” Himchan was appalled by this kid’s lack of knowledge. How does one not know at least the basics. Even unmarked people know a thing or two about dragons.

 

“Well Mr.Fancypants I’ll have you know not everyone goes to school.” Junhong was a little offended by Himchan’s response. The other scary looking dragon rider was doubled over laughing, already deciding he liked this new kid.

 

“Who you calling Mr.Fancypants!” Himchan was not about to be made fun of by this new kid, who didn’t even know he was marked.

 

The bickering continued until Hyosung came across them arguing and smacked all of them on the back of the head. Telling them it was getting late and they better get moving because they all had a early morning tomorrow. Himchan and Yongguk showed the duo where they would be staying for the time being. The room was a simple holding room for newcomers before they joined a training flock. Both Totomato and Dadamato stayed with their riders instead of going to the dragon resting area because “The first night is the most important.” Himchan told them to keep it down and not tell anyone he allowed this impromptu sleepover.

 

The night was filled with personal stories from everyone, as the night continued Junhong felt comfortable with not only Totomato but Dadamato as well. He decided to take a leap of faith and made the two dragons swear not to tell anyone about what he was going to share with them. The dragons swore themselves to secrecy and Junhong began his story about the great thief Zelo. Jongup occasionally added a few details or told the dragons when Junhong was exaggerating, having already heard these stories a long time ago. The sun was already raising when they fell asleep; when Himchan and Yongguk tried their best wake them, they were met with grumpy children and angry dragon fire. The dragon riders were quick to retreat before any real damage could be done.

 

When Junhong re-entered dreamland, he was surrounded by pastel pastures and he soared through bright skies, but unlike previous dreams, he wasn’t alone anymore. Around him were his newly made friends and Junhong had never felt so complete before.

--------------- (A/N)

I update every Saturday (Hopefully). Next week's chapter is Daehyun's. (lol I had this whole week to write it because I was head of my schedule but I just started today.)

Fun Fact: This was actually the 2nd chapter I wrote because I couldn't for the life of me write Himchan's chapter and I needed a break. Also out of everyone Junhong had the most thought out background story, while everyone else has a basic idea of what I want to happen. The reason this is not chapter 2 is because I already planned out the order of the members before hand. Plus I personally thought the flow would be better if Jongup's chapter came out before Junhong's. 

Thank you Michelle for editing this chapter and Jongup's chapter so fast. (I waited to giver her chapter 4 so I could let her edit the chapters in order. She edited them within 2 days!!! So amazing!!!)