Not so Smooth Sailing

We Make it Work... Most of the Time?

Normally missions were given out by the Dragon Guard Council, but on occasion, teams did personal missions approved by the council. That is what B.A.P was doing right now. Mr.Jung’s fishing lines have been disappearing for the past month, making a huge dent in his profits. The few times he managed to find his fishing lines, they were empty and heavily damaged. He wasn’t the only one being affected by this; all the other fishers faced similar problems. Water dragons were rare and only a handful were marked.

 

The dragon guard had two water teams but they had their hands full with the water hazards left from the summer storms, so Mr.Jung asked his son if his team could help. Daehyun agreed instantly, not waiting for the council’s approval. Jongup had to hold the older down while Himchan talked to the council about the mission. Everyone rushed to get their gear before flying out to Hidden Seashore with Daehyun in the lead.

 

“Hello, everyone. I’m glad all of you came.” Mr.Jung greeted when they landed. He did a quick head count and realized there was a new member. “Who’s this?” The older man held his hand out to Youngjae.

 

“I’m Youngjae! It’s nice to meet you.” Youngjae shook the other man’s hand with a bright smile. “Mr.Jung, It’s nice to meet you as well.”

 

“Now that introductions are over, how about we check out the fishing spots.” Daehyun offered. Everyone nodded and climbed aboard onto the Mr.Jung’s ship. Daehyun spent the trip talking with the crew and introducing them to his team. Everyone watched as the crew members pulled the first net out of the water. This one wasn’t moved from it’s spot, but the net was completely torn apart.

 

“It looks like it was pulled apart.” Himchan said, examining the broken net.

 

“How do you know?” Junhong asked looking at the rope, not seeing anything other than a broken net.

 

“If something cut or chewed through the rope it would have different fraying around the edges. This was definitely pulled so hard it ripped.” Everyone nodded at detective Himchan, looking at him with awe.

 

“So what does this mean, oh great detective?” Himchan punched Yongguk’s arm before answering the question. “It rules out people and fish… So I assume it’s a dragon or a group of dragons.”

 

“Mr.Jung, do you have any spots that are near land or rocks? We can set up a trap to lure the dragons responsible for this and confront them.”

 

“Confront them?” Mr.Jung asked worried. He knew it was apart of the job, but that didn’t stop the unsettling feeling in his gut.

 

“We’ll ask them to stop breaking the nets and if they start a fight we’ll end it; nothing to worry about, sir.” Yongguk gave the older man a pat on the shoulder.

 

“Yeah, dad! We got this.” Daehyun jumped in the conversation. “Isn’t there a place not far from here with a few small islands and what not?”

 

“That would be the best place to set a trap, but be careful. The largest island might be a dragon territory- we’re not sure just yet.” Yongguk took note of this. They probably shouldn’t intrude on the possible territory, but there was a chance the dragons there were responsible. They can find out once the culprits were caught. Mr.Jung let B.A.P off on the closest island to the fishing spot.

 

“Do you boys need anything?”

 

“We’ll be fine! We packed a bunch of stuff before we left.” Daehyun waved at his father’s boat, watching as the crew prepared a net before dropping it in the water.  

 

“I’m so glad to be off that boat.” Kekemato said to its partner. Daehyun snorted looking back at all the dragons complaining about the rocky ride here.

 

“I guess dragons aren’t made for sea travel. Are you seasick?”

 

“I’m fine, but I wouldn’t mind not going back on another boat.”

 

“You’re going to break my father’s heart. What are you going to do when I go on fishing trips with him?” Daehyun grabbed his chest in fake hurt.

 

“Stay with the others, maybe go on an adventure without you.” Kekemato said in a sing song voice. Daehyun faked a pain expression about to whine, when he heard his father’s boat honk at them. He waved at the boat with the others, watching it disappear from their view.

 

“Are we just going to wait until something happens?” Shishimato asked, already bored with the mission.

 

“There isn’t much we can do and someone has to keep watch.” Yongguk took a seat on some driftwood and pulled out a notebook; everyone liked to joke about it being a diary since the leader was so protective of it. Junhong was able to peek into the book when no one was looking and to his surprise it was filled with raps and compositions. Who knew their great leader was also a musician? According to Zico, Yongguk was popular in the underground rap scene, but whenever the youngest tried to follow their leader he would lose him in the night time crowd.

 

“Ugh. What are we supposed to do? Build sand castles? Sleep? No one wants to do that.” Yongguk raised an eyebrow at his dragon then nodded towards Jokomato who was sleeping in the shade, then to Jongup and Junhong building a sand castle on top of Totomato. Himchan was drawing in the sand with Dadamato. Shishimato huffed then stomped off, eyes spotting Youngjae walking towards the island’s forest. “Where are you going?”

 

“Huh? Oh, I’m going to check out the island. It’s not big, probably a 20 minute walk from one side to the other, but you never know.” Youngjae smiled sheepishly. “You want to come? I think Daehyun is coming to.” Said human came running up to them, giving them a bright smile.

 

“It’s better than sitting around here doing nothing.” Youngjae turned to ask Jokomato if it wanted to come with them but it seemed his partner was trapped in a cuddle pile with Tatsmato and Kekemato. Shaking his head fondly, Youngjae walked into the forest with Daehyun and Shishimato following by his side. The island had large pointed rocks randomly scattered everywhere, the trio didn't think anything about them until they saw inside a broken one. Brightly multi colored crystals lined the inside. Shishimato broke a few more, discovering each rock had different colored crystals. Youngjae took his time to sort through all the crystal shards only keeping a handful of each color.

 

“This forest isn’t that dense. I can already see where the forest ends on the other side.” Youngjae stated, looking around. Daehyun paused to pick up a rock. It was sort of shaped like a heart. How cute.

“It is a small island. I wouldn’t expect a dense forest like the ones in the mainland.” Shishimato looked at the heart shaped rock; one side was lopsided but the dragon decided not to say anything about it.

 

“What about Coral Cay? That’s an island with a dense forest.” Daehyun pocketed the rock and continued walking towards the other side of the island.

 

“Coral Cay is a large enough island to be considered a continent- it even has a functioning ecosystem!” Shishimato said, taking a break to let the sea air brush against his face. It might be boring waiting on this island, but at least the view of the ocean was calming. Youngjae interrupts Shishimato’s moment of relaxing with a loud gasp, pointing towards the water; a few dolphins are jumping out of the water. “Haven’t you seen dolphins before?” Shishimato asked. With how much the duo traveled, the dragon was surprised by Youngjae’s awestruck look.

 

“We never traveled near the ocean- there was no need to. I’ve only seen large sea creatures in books.” Youngjae walked out to the edge of the beach, waves barely reaching his shoes.

 

“You’ve been missing out then. Maybe next time we can swim with them.” Daehyun nudged the younger with his shoulder.

 

“You’re not going to jump in to get a better look, are you?” Shishimato gave the two humans a skeptical look. It wasn’t responsible for them drowning.

 

“Of course not, I’m not a good swimmer, remember?” Youngjae pouted at the dragon. Daehyun laughed and Shishimato snorted at the memory of Youngjae getting pushed into the deep side of a lake and struggled to get back to shore. He looked like a grumpy kitten who was forced to take a bath. That was the day everyone learned that Youngjae could make them all feel like the worst kind of people with one sad look and the cold shoulder. Everyone was stuck doing his bidding until he was satisfied with their punishment.

 

“Remind me to never get on your bads side.” Youngjae giggled at the dragon before taking a seat in the shade while Daehyun looking around the shore for seashells. Shishimato found a few, which Daehyun examined; tossing the ‘ugly’ ones back into the water and keeping the ‘pretty’ ones, Shishimato honestly couldn’t tell the difference. Once the human found enough shells, he sat down next to a napping Youngjae and started to make small holes in one of the spiral shells and cut the tip off the conch shell. Daehyun smirked as he placed the conch shell on his lips before blowing air into it right next to the younger’s ear. The loud sound woke Youngjae up instantly. He punched the shell without thinking ,smashing it back into Daehyun’s face. The older boy yelped in pain and clutched his bleeding mouth, a few tears slipped out of his eyes.

 

“Holy ! Daehyun!” Youngjae dug through his bag, pulling out a handkerchief. He moved Daehyun’s hand and applied pressure to his busted lip. “Are you okay?” The younger felt guilty for hurting his teammate. Daehyun gave him a thumbs up.

 

“You kind of deserved that.” Daehyun glared at Shishimato but it wasn’t effective since his eyes were still watery. “Maybe next time you’ll be prepared to dodge.” Daehyun rolled his eyes at the dragon. He winced when Youngjae pulled the handkerchief away to examine the damage.

 

“It looks like your teeth are fine but your bottom lip looks like .”  Youngjae poured some water onto a clean rag and gently wiped the blood off of Daehyun’s face.

 

“It looks like I can’t do what I wanted to do.” Daehyun pouted looking at the spiral shell in his hands as the younger rubbed antibiotic ointment onto his lip.

 

“What is it?” Youngjae picked the shell up examining the small holes on it. “A flute or something?”

 

“Kinda? I call it a recorder but flute works to.” Youngjae blows air through the shell, jumping at the high pitched screech coming out of the shell. Daehyun and Shishimato laugh at the horrid face the younger is making. “This sounds terrible.” Youngjae placed the shell back into Daehyun’s hands.

 

“I’ll show you what real talent looks like when my lip is healed.” Youngjae nodded his head and the trio fell into silence, taking time to enjoy the crashing waves. The day was reaching the golden hour when the trio walked back to the others. Youngjae sat down next to Yongguk, who was drying off with a towel. Looking at the others, Youngjae assumed they all jumped into the ocean a little while ago. Junhong and Himchan were still slashing each other, the water went up to their knees.

 

“Did you find anything?” Jokomato asked walking up to its partner. Youngjae showed the dragon the crystals he found and a few of the shells Daehyun found.

 

“Night time is about to fall. We should start a fire.” Yongguk yelled at the others to gather around. Himchan, Jongup, and Youngjae were tasked with setting up the tents while everyone else gathered firewood for the night.

 

“You should probably set the tents under the trees. It’s going to rain tonight.” Daehyun said.

 

“How do you know? The sky is clear.” Jongup asked looking up at the golden red sky.

 

“Trust me on this. Weather is always quick to change when it comes to the ocean.” The  three of them start to clear a spot under the trees, trusting Daehyun’s instincts. In no time they have camp set up and everyone is enjoying the meals they packed.

 

“Do you think the dragon will come tonight?” Junhong asked, setting his trash in a garbage bag.

 

“I hope it does. I’d hate for this mission to drag on for days.” Yongguk said. Everyone silently agreed with the leader. The night went on without a single movement from the fishing net. Just like Daehyun’s prediction, it started to lightly drizzle but they were saved by the tree branches. It was close to midnight when the drizzle became a wall of water accompanied by thunder and lighting. Yongguk decided to let the others go to sleep while he and Daehyun took first watch. The others didn’t make it to the tents before the buoys were pulled under the water before resurfacing. Daehyun and Yongguk were flying towards the buoys with the others close behind. Kekemato and Shishimato snatch up the buoys before they were dragged down again. They pulled the fishing net up to expose the culprit but instead of a dragon, it was a large appendage.

 

“What is that!?” Junhong exclaimed as Totomato and Dadamato took hold of the net as well. The appendage seemed to be never ending and refused to let go of the net, slowly pulling the four dragons closer to the ocean. Tatsmato shot fire at the appendage causing it to finally let go, but the creature was obviously angered by being attacked. The large creature started to breach the ocean surface, everyone watched with wide eyes.

 

“What the is that?! Why does it have tentacles?!” Junhong yelled as everyone dropped the net to dodge the appendages being swung at them. The creature screeched at them, continuing its attack.

 

“I think it's a Kraken!” Daehyun yelled at the others. He’s only ever heard stories about them from his father.

 

“I thought Kraken’s weren’t real!” Youngjae looked at the creature, it was cool looking but those thought were quickly changed when Jokomato nearly missed his dodge.

 

“I did to, but what else could this thing be?” Daehyun replied to the other.

 

“Can we discuss this later, we’re being attacked if you haven’t noticed!” Himchan yelled over the rain, which became heavier, making it hard to see anything in front of them. Everything happened so fast, Jokomato was trying to free Tatsmato from the kraken, Totomato was nowhere to be seen, Shishimato was attacking the kraken head on by itself, and Dadamato nearly crashed into Kekemato when one of the tentacles smacked into Dadamato’s side, knocking Jongup off. Kekemato dived for the human but was met with a similar fate. Daehyun heard another splash, was someone coming to rescue him or did someone else get knocked down. His vision slowly faded to black and the world became silent.

(AN)

This is the final chapter. Yup, I decided to end it with all of them dying. Aren’t I the greatest writer! 
I hoped you enjoyed the story! Thanks for reading!
I want to thank Michelle for editing all the chapters. I love her so much!
I want to thank everyone who commented on the story, you really kept me motivated to keep writing this story.

Xoxo,
LemonKiwiCandy <3

 

 

 

 


Just kidding! This isn’t the end. Come back next Saturday to find out what happens to our lovely children.