Partner Swap

We Make it Work... Most of the Time?

Gentle waves crashed against the sandy beach, chilling the unconscious body until he woke up. Jongup opened his eyes slowly, afraid the sunlight would blind him but was met with white. It took a few minutes for him to realize it was a wing attached to a pink dragon. Jongup crawled out from under the wing to get a better look at the unknown dragon. He stared at it in confusion; it looked like a, matoki but none of their dragons were pink. Walking around to the other side, Jongup spotted a white heart on the dragon’s ribs. Taking a moment to think, Jongup looked over the dragon again. It really did look like Kekemato, but why was it pink now? He shrugged his shoulders and dragged the now pink dragon by the front legs out of the water and to shade.

 

“What should I do now?” Jongup asked himself outloud. “I should look around, but what if Kekemato wakes up?” He yelled out for any of s, looking up and down the beach for bodies, but was met with nothing but sand and silence. Jongup didn’t know what to do, so he sat down next to Kekemato. Maybe the dragon could figure something out when it woke up.  

 

Shishimato woke up in an unfamiliar place. Not far from the dragon sat a grumpy Himchan poking at a camp fire. “Where is everyone else?” Shishimato moved closer to the human; seeing Himchan alone made the dragon feel uneasy.

 

“I don’t know… I walked around the whole island and only found you.” Tears stung the corner of his eyes, dread filled his gut and his mind raced with worry and guilt. This was the first time Himchan ever felt so useless, scared, lost, on a mission. Shishimato picked up on the human’s internal struggling.

 

“I’m sure we can find them… Maybe someone is on the island over there?” Shishimato nodded its head towards the next small island. Himchan stared at the dragon then to the island.

 

“Is your best plan to island hop until we find everyone?” Himchan rubbed his eyes to wipe away the unfallen tears.   

 

“Do you have a better idea?” Himchan shook his head.

 

“Can you handle it?”

 

“Of course.” Shishimato was banged up from the fight with the kraken, but he could still fly with ease. Himchan jumped onto his back and the two took off to the nearby island.

 

Jokomato was curled around Junhong, napping, when the human started to stir in his sleep. After getting a hand shoved into its face, Jokomato nudged Junhong harshly until he woke up. Junhong looked around confused, slowly getting up to stretch his legs.

 

“Where is everyone?”

 

“Not sure, but everyone is probably fine.” Jokomato got up to lead the human to the tallest cliff on the island.

 

“What do we do now?” Junhong looked out to the ocean, there were a few small islands surrounding them.

 

“We could sit and wait or fly to the nearby islands. Your choice.” Jokomato looked at the human, watching as he thought about their choices.

 

“Someone could be hurt... We should find everyone fast.” Jokomato nodded its head as Junhong mounted its back. The dragon wasn’t sure if they would be able to find anyone but seeing as they both still had their marks, it must mean their partners were alive.

 

Daehyun woke up to something laying on top of him.  At first he thought it was his blanket but when he went to grab it he discovered that it was a wing; that didn’t belong to Kekemato. He opened his eyes and stared at Dadamato’s face. Daehyun sat up to lightly shake the dragon. Dadamato grumbled something about five more minutes but the human just shook it even more.


 

“Okay, Okay. I’m awake. What do you want?” Dadamato peered at the human who wasn’t Jongup. “Wait! Where’s Jongup?” Dadamato looked around franticly for his partner.

 

“He’s probably okay, calm down.” Daehyun tried to get the dragon to settle down.

 

“How do you know?” Dadamato stared at the human, unsure about their next move.

“Well I’m with you, so Jongup must be with Keke.” Daehyun was worried about his dragon and friends, but panicking about them now wouldn't do them any good. “Speaking about being together… How did we end up together?” The human could have sworn he fell into the ocean away from everyone else.

 

“I saw a body and thought it was Jongup, so I grabbed it before the current swept us away. But I guess it was you.” Dadamato was upset it was separated from Jongup, but glad it was able to save Daehyun. “What now?”

 

“Well there are 12 small islands and the large one, so we should run into someone if we fly to each one, but we should leave something incase someone travels here. Maybe a note saying to meet up at the original island.”

 

“How would they find the original island?”

 

“Lucky for us it’s the island just west of us. We’ll leave a marker pointing towards the island at each island along with a note to wait there until sundown or something.”

 

“That sounds a great plan. Hopefully everyone is on the beach where we can spot them easily.” Daehyun nodded his head at the dragon. Together the two make a large arrow with rocks pointing towards the original island and write a note in the sand to wait there. Proud of their work, the two take off into the sky, flying towards another island.

 

Tatsmato woke up to something falling onto its side. The dragon glared at said thing, which ended up being Youngjae, who looked at the dragon with a sheepish grin. “Is there a reason you fell on me?” Tatsmato was sore and grumpy, the dragon wanted to go home and never think about this mission ever again.

 

“My bag somehow ended up in the tree so I climbed it. Then the branch broke… Lucky for me you broke my fall. My hero!” Youngjae wrapped his arms around the dragon’s neck. Tatsmato huffed at the human before looking around. The island was small and it seemed the tide went right up to the treeline during the night, but that didn’t explain how the bag ended up in the tree. Then Tatsmato remembered flying through the air with someone clinging onto it before crash landing on said island. The bag must have snagged on the tree when they fell. Youngjae walked out onto the beach looking around, suddenly yelling at Tatsmato. “Look - smoke!” Low and behold, on an island close to theirs was a small bit of smoke coming from the beach. Tatsmato didn’t waste anytime telling Youngjae to hop on and together they flew towards the smoke.

 

Totomato nudged Yongguk again and again but the human didn’t wake up. If it wasn’t for his loud snoring, Totomato would have thought the human was dead. “This isn’t the time for sleeping, Yongguk.” Totomato was ready to give up and leave Yongguk behind but the dragon couldn’t ever bring itself to actually abandon the leader. The blue masked matoki had defended the sleeping man from a few rabbits and lizards. Letting him sleep to regain energy until Totomato got impatient and worry started to eat away at its racing mind. “Desperate times call for desperate measures… You asked for this.” Totomato grabbed Yongguk by the shirt, dragging him into the ocean waves, waking the leader up instantly.

 

“What’s going on?! Yongguk sat up at looked around wildly. “What happened to the kraken? Where is everyone? Are you okay?” Yongguk’s brain was working in overtime trying to remember what happened last and wondering how he ended up on an island with only Totomato.

 

“Umm, I woke you up. I don’t know. I guess they're somewhere else. And I’m fine. What about you?” Totomato helped the human out of the water, it seemed he hurt his ankle but other then that Yongguk was fine.

 

“Can you fly, Totomato?”

 

“Yeah! Are we going to look for the others?” Totomato bounded lightly on its feet, stopping when Yongguk moved to get on.

 

“If I’m correct, there are only 13 islands, so it shouldn’t take long to find them.” Totomato lifted off the ground gently before ascending into the sky, getting used to the unusuals weight. Totomato missed Junhong but the dragon knew they would meet up soon, the leader said so.

 

Jongup looked up in shock when he heard Youngjae yelling, not noticing the tears falling down his face until Youngjae wiped them away, pulling the younger into a hug. “I-I was so-o scared. No o-one was here and Kekemato isn’t w-waking up.” Jongup muttered into the older’s shoulder, taking a deep breath to calm down.

 

“It’s alright, I’m here now.” Youngjae pulled away from the younger to give him a once over then looked over to Kekemato… “Why is Keke pink?” Jongup shrugged his shoulders.

 

“I was hoping you would know.” Youngjae turned his head to ask Tatsmato, but the dragon seemed distressed about Kekemato, making both humans uneasy. “What’s wrong with Kekemato.” Jongup’s question seemed to snap Tatsmato out of its trance but the matoki didn’t reply, silently debating about something. The humans thought Tatsmato wasn’t going to answer but whatever the dragon was thinking before stopped.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with Kekemato, it's a Sui Generis so I guess the pink is Kekemato’s true color.” Both humans looked at Kekemato with awe filled eyes.

“So Kekemato has magical powers? That’s pretty cool. The pink is pretty cute as well.” Youngjae gently rubbed the pink dragon’s head, cooing at the soft sounds it made.

 

“Why do you think they kept this from us?” Jongup asked outloud, sitting down to pet the dragon’s neck.

 

“Sui Generis aren’t accepted in dragon society.”

 

“Why?” Jongup asked with wide eyes, his hand stopped petting Kekemato’s neck.

 

“Because most fear the unknown. The dragon is better off dead before something happens.” Tatsmato remembers the tales older dragons would use to invoke fear into the younger dragons about the all powerful sui generis dragons who would kill anyone in their sight. Said dragon felt silly for believing such stories seeing as Kekemato was one of the kindness dragons it knew.

 

“You aren’t going to kill Kekemato are you!?” Youngjae took a protective stance in front of the pink dragon.

 

“Of course not! We’ve been friends for years, nothing is going to change that.” Tatsmato huffed.

 

Himchan and Shishimato flew around another island. This was their fourth island, and so far no luck with finding any sign of the others. Himchan was slowly being eaten away from dread, but kept his composure. Shishimato suddenly flew away from the island, almost knocking Himchan off. The human was about to yell at the dragon but the words got caught in his throat when he saw who they were flying towards. Jokomato turned around when it heard someone flying behind them.

 

“Shishimato! Himchan!” the two yelled at the top of their lungs. Both dragons landed on an island so the humans could hug and they could all calmly talk about the situation.

“Are you two okay? I assume you haven’t ran into anyone else?” Himchan looked over both Junhong and Jokomato.

“We’re fine. We haven’t seen anyone yet but we’ll find them.” Junhong smiled at the older, who couldn’t help but smile back. This gave meeting gave them all hope their other friends were also okay.

 

“We should start looking again.” Shishimato said but the dragon didn’t look ready to leave seeing that Jokomato had yet to stop rubbing its head against the leader’s.

 

“We’ve been flying for a while know, and I know Junhong hasn’t eaten yet… Maybe we should take a quick break and regain some energy. We can’t find anyone if we’re tired.” Himchan bit his bottom lip, his heart yelled at them to find everyone now but his brain told him to take a break. He looked at Junhong and noticed the tired look on the younger boy, he let out sigh and agreed to taking a break. Jokomato waddled off into the ocean to catch some fish for lunch while Shishimato watched from the beach before joining the other dragon in the water, paranoid about the kraken. The humans were tasked with the duty of starting a fire to cook the fish. Once everyone was full, they left the island to continue searching for their lost members.

 

Daehyun and Dadamato were placing rocks in an arrow shape when Totomato suddenly tackled both of them onto the ground. Yongguk hobbled behind with a wide gummy smile. “We found you!” Daehyun laughed at the dragon, rubbing its head between the ears. Dadamato struggled to get loose but gave up when Totomato refused to let either of them up.

 

“Where were you guys going?” Yongguk asked when he saw the half made arrow. Totomato finally got off them to look at the rocks.

 

“We were pointing them towards the island we were dropped off at in case we passed someone so they would know where to wait.” Yongguk nodded his head, it was a smart idea, he would have done the same, but he didn’t know the area well enough.

 

“Good job you two. We should go to the last few islands on this side before heading back to the island.” Everyone nodded. Daehyun and Dadamato finished up the arrow and message before they all got ready to take off again but Totomato’s stomach growled loudly.

 

“We haven’t eaten all day, I can’t help it.” Totomato defened. Daehyun chuckled as he dug through his bag, most of the food he packed was ruined by the water but a few things we saved by the packaging. He threw a few bars at Yongguk before unwrapping a few for Totomato. “These are so yummy.” Totomato munched on the bars happily almost biting Daehyun’s finger when he fed the dragon another one.

 

“They’re my favorite and the only thing that didn’t get water logged. Lucky us.” Yongguk hummed in agreement, never before was he thankful for Daehyun’s habit of packing too much food. Once everyone was full, they flew off the island. Pausing when they saw smoke coming from the island north of them. It didn't take another minute to have both dragons racing to the island.

 

“Hey, there’s smoke coming from that island.” Jokomato flew towards the island, Shishimato flying close behind. The fire emitting the smoke comes into view and Jokomato lets out a loud yelp of excitement, causing everyone surrounding the fire to look up. Youngjae leaped up and hugged his dragon as soon as it landed. Junhong chuckled but was pulled into a hug by Jongup. Tatsmato ran up to Himchan, who happily hugged the dragon tightly. Shishimato did a double take when Kekemato hobbled up from behind the group. The two dragons stared at each other, not knowing what to say.

 

“...You’re… Pink?” This brought everyone’s attention to Kekemato. The pink dragon was a loss for words; it tried to think of something- anything.

 

“Wait… Did you not know this?” Everyone looked at Jokomato with shocked looks.

 

“Did you know?” Kekemato asked in a timid voice, Jokomato just nodded. “How?”

 

“When I woke up after the summer solstice you were pink. I just assumed everyone knew about it and if they didn’t there was a reason.” The clown pirate shrugged off everyone’s stares, choosing to nuzzle Youngjae instead.

 

“There isn’t a problem with me being a Sui Generis, right?” Kekemato asked in a timid voice. Tatsmato made sure to comfort Kekemato when it woke up, telling the dragon no one would harm it but doubt still swam around in its head.

 

“Yeah, we’re cool. I just wasn’t expecting you to be pink. I honestly thought you might have been sunburnt or something.” Shishimato joked earning a laugh from Kekemato and everyone else. Junhong and Himchan took a moment to examine the newly pink Kekemato, petting it and asking if the dragon could do anything cool. Kekemato suddenly blended into the sand, then lifted some of the surrounding sand into the air, spooking everyone.

“Kekemato is a sand bender!” Junhong yelled out loud. The pink dragon chuckled at the youngest member.

 

“No, I have the ability to blend in with my surroundings and weak telekinesis.”

 

“That’s even cooler!” Junhong looked at the dragon with starry eyes. Before they could talk more, Jongup was tackled to the ground by an excited Dadamato. Totomato let Yongguk off its back then trotted up to Junhong, while Shishimato worried over its partner swollen ankle. Daehyun ran up to Kekemato with a worried look on his face, wondering why his dragon wasn’t disguised. The pink dragon whispered the day's events to its partner.

 

When Kekemato woke up, it was already surrounded by three of the members who happily accepted the fact it was pink, then the other four came and easily took the new information as well. It seemed the others were told about the new discovery because both Dadamato and Totomato jumped around the duo taking turns nuzzling the dragon. Yongguk patted its head and pulled Daehyun into a headlock for not telling them sooner.

 

They spent a good while catching up over food and started to plan their next move. Surely it was in their best interest to head back to the mainland but B.A.P were too stubborn to give up. Daehyun told them it was going to be clear skies tonight so they had a better chance of fighting the kraken. They flew back to the original island and found the fishing net from last night. Daehyun and Himchan were able to fix it with things they found around the old campsite. Yongguk watched as the buoys bobbed in the water, gently floating in the waves before drawing out their plan of attack on the sand. It was decided to sleep until nightfall to regain their strength then wait for the kraken to return.

 

Himchan was the first to wake up, he started up another fire before waking up everyone else. Yongguk went over the plan again, slowly explaining every little detail. They weren’t going to lose this time. Just like the night before the buoys was pulled under the water, this time they were ready. Shishimato, Dadamato, and Totomato pulled the net out of the water. Tatsmato wasted no time firing at the kraken, making the beast resurface. Without the rain obscuring their vision, the kraken was much easier to defeat, it was slower than the dragons and couldn’t keep up with the rapid fire blasts. Junhong was able to deal the final blow with his magical sword, stabbing into the kraken's head before letting out a powerful shock.

 

“How much sushi do you think we could make with this thing?” Daehyun joked. The conversation was cut short when a loud horn caught their attention, it was Mr.Jung’s ship. A few dragonriders flew from the boat and asked them what happened. The kraken was loaded onto the boat to be brought back to shore for further examination. Mr.Jung told the team, he was worried when they didn’t return so he called for backup incase something happened. Yongguk and Himchan handled the reports on the boat, asking another member to turn it in for them. The team headed to Daehyun’s house, where they were greeted by Mrs.Jung and dinner. They all passed out in the living room after dinner.

 

(A/N)

Okay, so this chapter was originally going to be from Jongup’s P.o.V and focus on Kekemato being pink but I couldn’t think of a long enough chapter idea with just the two of them so I split it up into multiple P.o.Vs. If anyone is confused why everyone just accepted Kekemato right off the bat, it’s mostly due to their bond as a team and coupled with the fact most of them didn’t really ‘know’ what a Sui Generis really was. Tatsmato, Shishimato, Dadamato and Totomato only heard stories about them and were told to kill them on sight without a real explanation. Also out of all of the dragons only Tatsmato really listened to the elder dragons, the others usually brushed them off or didn’t listen. Jokomato didn’t know anything and just assumed it was a thing some dragons could do. Humans are neutral about Sui Generis dragons and treat them like any other dragon.