Jongup’s Quest

We Make it Work... Most of the Time?

Down a thin overgrown path, just past the green hills, rests a small village long forgotten by the world. The only people who can find such a village are ones who don’t have a signal penny to their name. They come to the forgotten village of Daffodil Bridge where they are welcomed to become simple hardworking farmers. It’s not the most luxurious of lives, but they make due with what little they have. The villagers are not the happiest people in the world but they’d rather struggle and have small moments of joy then die on the streets.

 

The children, on the other hand, often dream of one day leaving this forgotten village to live better lives filled with fame and fortune, but most ended up staying without even trying and the ones who did try always returned within a month when they realized it was near impossible to do anything with the little money they had. The only child known to make a successful escape from the village was a girl blessed with Harmonia’s Mark. The day she turned 16 she left for the nearest Dragon Guard outpost and never returned, eventually forgetting the village like the rest of the world had. This made some people envious of those who bear the mark, but in the end, they could do nothing.

 

It had been a few years since the marked girl left when a new child was born with Harmonia’s mark; a lime green lotus flower on his lower back. The child’s parents were happy their third son, Moon Jongup, was promised a brighter future than most, but at the same time felt remorse for their other two sons, who didn’t have a chance of leaving the poor forgotten village. Growing up Jongup’s brothers tried their best to hide their envy but sometimes they couldn’t stop the bitter feelings of resentment. Jongup was a shy, quiet boy, but he was certainly bright. He was able to understand why his brothers and other kids were sometimes mean to him, and also understood why his parents focused on his brothers more than him and never once did he hold it against them. They all knew one day he was going to abandon Daffodil Bridge and pursue a better life like the girl before him. What they didn't know was that Jongup planned on being different; he would never abandon his family, for he knew deep down his family loved him and he loved his family just as much. Jongup was going to join the Dragon Guard and earn the money to move his family somewhere they didn’t have to work every hour of the day to barely get by.

 

A typical day for Jongup went as followed: wake up, eat breakfast, brush his teeth, go to ‘school’ (an elder telling them their life story and info from whatever education book they could find), eat lunch, a short dance break, start his chores around the farm, have a short break, finish his chores, play with the other kids until he was called inside, wash up, eat dinner, brush his teeth, sleep, dream about the day he would meet his dragon, rinse and repeat. Other kids tried their best to get out of work but Jongup never had a problem with it; sometimes his mother had to drag him out of the burning sun because he would be too focused on his chores to realize he was burning. By the time Jongup was 12 his mother had found the best and cheapest sunburn remedy. Jongup honestly thought they could make a fortune with the home remedy, for it not only healed sunburns quickly, but it made damaged skin baby soft and healthy afterwards. Mrs. Moon giggled at her youngest son’s idea and told him there were probably better products out there. Jongup shrugged his shoulders and ran off to join the rest of the family as his mother followed smiling to herself.

 

It was on a warm summer evening when something broke the cycle of repetitiveness for Jongup. He heard another child, Jisu, greet yet another child, a boy he had never seen before. The last time someone came to this village, it was a poor man looking for honest work and that was before Jongup was born. Not once had he heard anything about a child coming to the village alone. This new arrival peaked Jongup’s interest; the boy was tall, but had a baby face, his clothes look more worn than his own hand me downs, and had a bag around his shoulders probably carrying everything he had based on how full it looked. Before Jongup could wonder more about this kid, the elderly woman who watched over them during the evening, Ms. Choi referred to the boy as her grandson and called him over to her. The children around him were quick to start whispering about how it was possible for Ms. Choi to have a grandson when her family ditched her here years ago.  

 

“Maybe they don’t want him eith- Ouch! What was that for?!” Jongup quickly elbowed one of the boys, Sungmin, in the ribs efficiently shutting him up.

 

“Hush, you’re being rude.” Jongup whispered harshly. It’s not everyday someone comes to the village and he didn’t want the new kid to feel unwelcomed.

 

The elderly woman was quick to dismiss the children back home so she could take her nervous looking grandson to her house. Jongup was quick to run home as the others protested, and quietly greeted his family as he made his way to the bathroom to wash off the day’s hard work before dinner. Jongup sat down at the table with the rest of his family, quietly listening to them talk about their day and nodded along to show he was paying attention. When there was a long pause Jongup took this moment to speak.

 

“A new kid appeared out of nowhere today.” His family looked at him with a surprised face. It wasn’t common for people to travel here, but when they did they, usually showed up sometime during the morning or afternoon, never this close to night.

 

“Is that so? We should welcome the new family tomorrow. I wonder if we have anything to bake with.” The three sons perked their heads up like ground hogs at the mention of sweets, but Jongup was quick to fix his mother’s mistake.

 

“No, not a family. It’s just a boy.”

 

“What do you mean just a boy? No one would let their child wander off here alone.” Mrs. Moon looked appalled at the thought of a child coming here alone. Surely he had a family.

 

“Ms. Choi said it was her grandson.” Jongup could tell by the way his family’s faces fall into frowns that they came to the same conclusion as the other children: the boy was most likely abandoned and left with the only option of his forgotten grandmother.

 

“Oh, I see. Well... make sure to be extra nice to the boy tomorrow, you don’t want Ms. Choi to be upset.” Jongup nodded his head and excused himself from the dinner table. He wanted to get a good night's sleep so he would be well rested for tomorrow.

 

Mr. Moon was surprised to see Jongup already up and about when he entered the kitchen to make breakfast. His youngest valued sleep almost as much as dancing so seeing him buzz around the house getting ready was definitely strange.

 

“You must be excited to meet the new boy.” Mr. Moon chuckled as his son nodded his head with a smile on his face and a slight blush for being read so easily. When breakfast was placed on the table Jongup wolfed down his food ready to run out the door but his mother was quick to stop him, telling him he had to go to ‘school’. Jongup let a disappointed sigh but went to ‘class’ anyways, sitting on the floor with all the other kids attending this ‘class’, listening to the elder in charge ramble about his youth, giving general life advice, and whatever useful information that was in the falling apart textbook. A lady came in telling everyone lunch was ready, signaling the end of school for today, amnd Jongup let out a quiet cheer and rushed outside to quickly eat lunch.

 

With their bellies full the kids were gathered up and introduced to the new kid, Junhong. One by one each child introduced themselves to the newcomer. Jongup wanted to talk with Junhong a little more but sadly his grandmother whisked him away to finish a few things and the adults told them it was time to start their chores. Jongup didn’t see much Junhong the first few day, but when he did, Jongup would try and go talk to Junhong, however one of the other kids would stop him telling him not to talk to Junhong. Jongup had no idea why they wouldn’t want to talk to the kid but he listened to them, it’s not like he knew what to say, plus Junhong looked vaguely uncomfortable and Jongup was terrible at comforting people.

 

Jongup finally found his chance to start a conversation with Junhong when he saw the boy wandering around a farm with a confused look on his face and the same tool Jongup in his hands.

 

“Do you need help? No offence, but you look like a lost puppy.” Jongup asked in his normally soft voice. He understood how hard starting on the farm could be first hand. On his first day he and a few other kids somehow managed to let out all the animals. Junhong eye’s widen with bewilderment and nodded his head so quick Jongup couldn’t help but laugh a little.

 

“Follow me! I know where to go and I’ll show you how to use the tool you’re holding.” Jongup started his farming 101 lesson when the two boys reached their destination. He made sure to take his time when teaching Junhong the basics, not wanting to overwhelm the boy with all his great farming knowledge. By the time their afternoon break rolled around, Jongup was able to fish some information out of the boy. Junhong was 12 - just like him - and more importantly,  he liked to dance.

 

Jongup invited Junhong to his house to show him his music tiny music collection, and with Junhong’s grandmother’s permission, the two boys raced to Jongup’s house, tripping into his small room. After laughing for a bit Jongup got up and placed an old record onto the outdated player and soon the room was brought to life with lively music. At first, the two boys sat on Jongup’s bed, both to nervous to dance. But after a short while, Jongup swallowed his fears and with the spit collected in his mouth, he started some small movements before gaining confidence,moving his body as graceful as any 12 year old can. Junhong watched in awe as his new friend danced; not wanting to hold back he got up and started to dance as well.

 

Before they knew it, Jongup’s mother came in to tell them their break has been over for a while and they should get back to work or they wouldn’t finish before nightfall. The boys apologize and ran out back to the field, trying their best to finish ety-split so they could dance more. It was on that day Jongup knew he had finally made a friend who truly understood him, he believed their friendship couldn’t get any better but one day while working out in the farms he noticed that Junhong was also marked, he had a sky blue gear on the back of his left shoulder. Jongup was ecstatic that he wouldn’t have to leave his best friend behind, together they could join the Dragon Guard and see what this world had to offer.

 

The two of them started a tradition of sneaking out during the night on the weekends to stargaze on one of the hillsides of the village. Neither of them knew how it came to be but they would just lay there in the soft grass and look up into the night sky, quietly sharing stories about themselves. Jongup would often tell Junhong all the gossip, stories, or myths that have been circling around the village since he was just a baby. Junhong, on the other hand, would tell Jongup about his life before he stumbled upon this village. Jongup was honestly shocked to hear about Junhong’s tough upbringing but at the same time was awestruck how someone like Junhong survived the rough roads he traveled.

 

The years danced on and were filled with farm work, late night talks, impromptu dance offs, and the occasional prank. Both boys were finally 16 years old, the youngest age the Dragon Guard started training new recruits. Jongup waited for Junhong to turn 16 before leaving so they could go together. It took his family a while to save up some money for the trip, but when they had enough Jongup was overjoyed. That is, until he saw Junhong running for the village's sole medic.

 

Granny had passed away from old age and the whole village felt sorrow from the loss, but no one felt the same anguish as Junhong. He tried to be strong but the tears still fell from his eyes like a storm. During her funeral Junhong struggled with his final words and Jongup never once left his side during the morning. The Moon family offered Junhong a place in their home and he gladly accepted, finding it too hard to live in his grandmother’s house all alone. When the two boys went to pack Junhong’s belonging, Junhong found a letter from granny and suddenly he was collapsing to the floor. Jongup caught Junhong before he could hit the ground and held him close. They stayed like that until they both fell asleep on the hardwood floor. Everyday was a battle for Junhong, but with Jongup’s constant support he was able to move on and start to smile again.

 

Jongup had almost completely given up on joining the Dragon Guard; he was much more concerned with Junhong. Sure he’s getting back into the swing of things but I don’t think he’s ready to leave. Jongup thought to himself as both he and Junhong walked back to his house. They were just about to leave the farming area when destiny decided to crash itself into Jongup. Quite literally. Junhong yelped when out of nowhere a large black object landed on his best friend, and after taking a closer look, it was a dragon of some sort.

 

“Please get off my friend, I think you’re killing him!” The dragon was quick to get off Jongup and started nudging him with it’s masked snout.

 

“! He can’t be dead! I NEED him.” The dragon seemed to panic, shoving Jongup around on the ground. It only stopped when the boy let out a low groan of pain.

 

“What happened? Why does it feel like I’ve been hit by a wagon?” Junhong and the dragon let out a cheer and Jongup looked up at them in a daze; slowly things became clear again. Jongup couldn’t believe a dragon just fell from the sky, landed on him, but somehow didn’t kill him.

 

“Are you going to get up anytime soon?”

 

“No. I’m dead now.” Jongup joked lightly but apparently the dragon doesn’t understand his humor.

 

“WHAT! You can’t be die on me now! I’ve been searching for you for almost a year!”

 

“A YEAR!? Jongup did you hear that!” Junhong was surprised anyone could look for so long. He would have given up after a week, maybe even sooner.

 

“Yes I did, now will someone help me up?” Jongup was pulled off the ground with the help of Junhong.

 

“I’m honestly surprised you found me. This village is pretty much forgotten to, well… everyone.” Jongup always thought it would be impossible for his dragon to find him, but he was sorely wrong considering it was right in front of him.

 

“I’m just as surprised as you are. It’s a good thing I followed my instincts or I would have never found you.”

 

“We should probably get going before my parents start to worry.” The sun was starting to set and dinner was most likely ready to be served.

 

“I hope they don’t mind a dragon crashing at their place.”

 

“As long as you don’t crash into the house, I’m sure you’re fine.” The trio laughed as they made their way back to Jongup’s house. On the way there the people still outside stared at them. It was very uncomfortable for all of them, even Junhong, and he wasn’t even being stared at. They quickened their pace, rushing inside the tiny house and slamming the door shut. To say Jongup’s family was surprised at seeing a dragon inside their home was a total understatement, the way their eyes widened to an impossible size, mouths hanged open as they stood there unmoving.

 

“I’m home! This is my dragon… What is your name?” Jongup looked at his dragon awkwardly. Who in their right mind forgets to ask someone their name? Oh wait, I was getting over almost dying. Jongup couldn’t stop himself from glaring at the dragon.

 

“I’m Dadamato, the fastest Matoki dragon out there.” The dragon puffed out its chest in pride, but Jongup wasn’t sure if it was lying or not.

 

“Well it is nice to meet you Dadamato. Would you like to join us for dinner?”

 

“Nah, I already ate. I’ll just wait somewhere.”

 

“My room is the first door on the left.” Jongup pointed to the hallway that lead to his room.

 

“Thanks…”

 

“Jongup” It would seem Jongup wasn’t the only one who forgot to ask for a name.

 

“Thanks Jongup.” Dadamato walked off to the boy’s room, somehow opening the door and letting itself get comfortable on Jongup’s bed that was too small but Dadamato made it work. Jongup and Junhong sat at the table in tense silence, no one knowing what to say or how to start. Mrs. Moon cleared before going on about her day and soon everything went back to normal. When everyone was clearing out Jongup’s parents pulled him into a hug before letting him return to his room for the night. The dragon woke up from its slumber as the boys walked in, blinking the sleep out of its eyes.

 

“So what’s the plan Stan?”

 

“If you’re interested, I would like to join the Dragon Guard.” Jongup was certain the dragon would agree but there is always that chance of rejection.

 

“I was hoping you’d say that.” Dadamato was more than happy to hear that they both share the same goal.

 

“But-”

 

“I hate buts.”

 

“As I was saying, I’m only going if Junhong comes along. I can’t leave you behind, bro.”

 

“Sure, I’ll tag along. I mean it's obvious you can’t live without me” Junhong took no time to respond, he would follow his best friend to the ends of the earth.

 

“Then it’s settled! We leave tomorrow.”

 

“Wait! Junhong don’t you want to think about this?” Jongup was startled by Junhong’s swift answer, maybe he was blinded by his concern to realize that Junhong was ready for a new adventure.

 

“Nope. I have nothing tying me here if you’re leaving. Plus it would be a nice change of scenery. I haven’t stayed in one place for so long.” Yes, Junhong was still mourning for his loss but he believed that a change in pace would help him, who knows what wonders await them out there, he wasn’t going to hold himself or his best friend back.

 

“I guess you’re right. Looks like we leave tomorrow.” Jongup gave everyone one last smile before kicking Dadamato off his bed only to have it climb back on later that night.

 

The morning came too soon in Jongup’s opinion, Dadamato was ready to leave, but decided to be patient enough to let the boys finish packing their things and waiting outside as they said goodbye.

 

“I promise to write you as soon as I can, and I’ll visit whenever I can.” Jongup held back his tears, he knew this day was coming but no amount of preparing could stop the sorrow he felt leaving his family.

 

“I know you will, sweetpea. You better as well, Junhong!” Mrs. Moon pulled both boys into one final hug, giving them both kisses on the check.

 

“Of course! I’ll tell you all about Jongup’s failures.” Junhong grinned, hiding his sadness by teasing Jongup. The whole village walks them to the edge of the farmland around the village, wishing them luck on their journey, making them promise to be safe. They continue to stand there until the boys and dragon are no longer visible, only then do they slowly make their way to the farms, starting their day of hard work with soft smiles.

 

“You know I’ve been meaning to ask this but why do you look like roadkill.” Junhong was honestly wondering this for a while now. The dragon had a weird lime green mask that had four black triangles pointing inwards in the middle and two spikes on each side of the mask, plus it had what appeared to be tire tracks going diagonally across its face and horizontally across its body.

 

“What?”

 

“The tire tracks, my dude.” Jongup was curious as well but he didn’t want to be rude in fear he would get dive bombed again.

 

“Oh. That’s apart of my skin. We Matoki all have a unique pattern. Mine just happens to be tire tracks.” Dadamato never really thought about his markings before. Were they really that strange?

 

“And the mask?” Why would a dragon need a mask? Is it trying to be a ninja of some sort? Jongup really wanted to know more about his partner.

 

“Just another thing we Matoki have.”

 

“Are you born with it on?” Junhong giggled at the thought of a baby Dadamato coming out of its egg with a mask already on its face.

 

“What? No, it's apart of a ritual thing we do. Like a coming of age thing.” These kids had some weird questions, but Dadamato was happy to answer them all.

 

“That’s neat.” Both boys seemed satisfied for now. The trio continued down the path until they reached a checkpoint town, and asked for directions to the nearest Dragon Guard outpost. It was in a town called Shimmering Ridge, Dadamato offered to fly them there but both boys shook their head in fear. They instead took a kind man’s offer and rode in the back of his wagon making sure his crates wouldn’t fall out or break against each other. The trip it self took two days because the man stopped at a few small villages along the way but the boys were happy to meet some new people after seeing the same ones for so long. Once they got to the Dragon Guard outpost in Shimmering Ridge, they bid the man farewell and from there a nice lady named Song Jieun put them on another wagon with a few other new recruits that took them straight to the Dragon Guard headquarters in the Kingdom Silmul.

 

Jongup had always dreamed of seeing the kingdom for himself one day, and it was a beautiful sight indeed. The roads were packed with other wagons, people lined the sidewalks, dragon riders soared through the skies, there were so many tall buildings, and lush green parks. It was almost to much to take in but Jongup tried his best, while Dadamato and Junhong watched in amusement.

 

When they arrived at the HQ Jieun told them to wait there as she left to get someone to show them around. Standing there taking in everything that had happened these past few days, Jongup was scared this was all a dream. Dadamato was quick to reassure his partner that this was in fact real and to get used to it because things were going to change even more once they join the Guard. Jongup was ready for any challenge thrown his way, this was his life now. With a triumphant smile he looked forward to the new adventure awaiting them and began to step towards his future.