double trouble.

kaisoo tumblr drabbles.

[word count : 690] [post] [image]

the silence was deafening, except for the occasional wind whispering eeriely in his ears. he takes long drives out of the city occasionally, to silent his mind and seek solace in solitude. each time, he stays about an hour at least, soaking in the nothingness of the surroundings. and today, he needs this hour of salvation more than ever.

he slowed down his deliberate steps, flicked away his unlit cigarette as his right hand reached out for the solid metal hardware, which is strapped closely to his body at all times. he had it checked earlier, before he got down from his sleek black benz, although it was never his style to travel solo with a loaded metal, but it felt different today. his life motto has always been prevention better than dead, and it has kept him alive so far.

he lets out a heavy sigh, as he lets the sight of the abandoned park bring back memories that he can never forget. he never really understood how a happy place full of laughter and happiness, turned into a depressing space now, the same way it turned him into what he is now. he quickened his pace as he noticed the desert dust on his leather shoes.

like clockwork, he chose his favourite seat on the old rusty carousel, glanced at his bloodied gold watch and started humming his favourite tune. somehow, humming helps him relax and as he closed his eyes in a trance-like state, he realise that there was also a nagging pain on his lower sides.

in that semi-meditative solitude, he could hear someone approaching with careful steps, followed by the sound of a gun clock and before he could reach for his loaded metal, he felt coldness pressed against the back of his head.

“you killed one of us, d.o. how do i even trust you anymore? so tell me, should i shoot you in your head now or shoot you in your head later?”

he carefully opened his eyes, trying his best not to make any sudden movements. the voice that gives him endless pleasure on some lonely nights, is also the same voice that is threatening to put an end to his double lives.

“damnit kai, he was in my line of fire. he should have not been there at all. i had to do what i had to do, else my cover is blown and you would not want that to happen, would you?”

then it was just silence but kyungsoo could hear his own breathing. he had killed several times before but what he did today, affected him greatly and he was unsure how he will recover from this, or if jongin will ever forgive him for killing one of his man.

he felt the cold metal lifted off from the back of his head, and heard footsteps walking away, on the creaky floorboards. he waited a few more seconds before he turned his body, but he saw nobody there.

kyungsoo knew that jongin has always been careful about being seen together with him, even if the place is empty and abandoned. it was too risky for two undercover agents to be seen together, especially when jongin works for the notorious underworld leader and he, for the police intelligence department.

as he sat there, inhaling the dry cold air, he reached out for a cigarette from his pocket and placed it between his lips. he had stopped smoking but some habits stayed on with him. suddenly his phone rang and when he saw the caller’s name on his screen, all worries dissipated into the air and his lips curved a smile.

“you were bleeding. come back home and let me help you clean you up when im back. im going to see the big man now to explain. one hour max. drive safe and hey, bring along your loaded hardware. if you get what i mean”

he knew that they both lived a complicated double life but no matter how difficult things are, they promised each other that some things should always remain the same and nobody needs to know that.