Nights Are Meaningful With You Here

Late Nights Make Me Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What do you mean?” she asks and away a crumb on the corner of her lip.

 

“You know what I mean. Why didn’t you just tell me to go away and instead tell me about your ex?”

 

She thinks for a second. You’re not sure if she’s actually thinking or the alcohol is making her brain process things more slowly.

 

“I don’t know. I guess you’re a stranger and you dress really differently so you probably wouldn’t judge me. And I’m drunk,” she states, taking another bite of her sandwich.

 

You process that for a moment. It was probably the truth. But for some reason, it hurt.

 

“So, it’s not that I look particularly trustworthy or anything?” you tease trying to mask your feelings.

 

“I don’t know you at all, how would I know that?” she shoots back.  

 

“True. But how do you know my name?”

 

“Because all my pre-med friends are jealous of you and they always talk about you.”

 

That was unexpected. You struggle to contain your confusion. What was there to be jealous of? You had nothing on them. You hadn’t even applied to medical school yet! Applications open in a month.

 

“But, why?”

 

“Cause you’re the smartest and get the best grades and all the professors love you? I don’t know, I’m not pre-med. That’s just what they say. And they showed me your Facebook profile so I know what you look like. But I don’t think you’re a know it all or a kiss up. I think you work hard and I really like that. I always see you in the café late at night, even on Fridays and Saturdays when everyone else is going to party. But you’re always studying. I wish I could focus like you and do something with my life.”

 

You don't know what to think. Krystal Jung wanting to do something with her life? Her mom heads one of the biggest makeup brands in the world and her dad is a managing director at a huge bank. She’d be able to get a job without any problems, unlike literally every other economics major scrambling for a summer banking internship. She’d be able to rake in the money or go work for a nonprofit—anything at all because of her financial security.

 

She must have sensed your disquiet because she laughs quietly.

 

“You don’t understand. I appreciate the head start my parents gave me. But I always wanted to know how far I can get myself and I want to try it out without their help.”

 

The unfairness of her statement makes you gag. Even if Krystal renounced her parents' money, she'd still be a million miles ahead of you. If she ends up making pennies and can't pay rent, her parents could cover her. She could fail and not be homeless. But you can't. Your parents are i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter