Future

Late Nights Make Me Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Apologies for the delay! Had a bunch of stuff pop up out of nowhere this weekend. 

 

====================

 

Krystal’s POV

 

You can’t do this.

 

“I need some time,” you shakily murmur as you turn away from Amber.

 

You twist the door handle and push your way outside, trying to escape the realization of who you really are. But as you let the door swing shut, you can’t help the pinprick of hope in your heart that Amber will call you back.

 

There’s no response.

 

The door clicks close and you’re left alone on the wrong side.

 

“God, Amber,” you sigh as you lean forward, pressing your forehead against the cold wood. All you had to do was to go back in and say sorry. You could do this, swallow your pride, admit that you acted out of fear.

 

But that won’t solve anything, a small voice in the back of your head points out. The voice sounds like your sister’s. Always rational, always logical.

 

As if on cue, your cell phone vibrates in your pocket. You pull it out and lo and behold, Jessica’s number pops up. Your finger slides the call acceptance button and her voice filters into your ear.

 

“Come home. Now.” Her voice sounds cold, so unlike the warmth you’re used to.

 

“Why? Is everything okay?”

 

There’s a heavy pause before she in a breath and says, “Mom had the county records office run a background check on you before you and Kai get married. They found something.”

 

“And?” you feign ignorance.

 

Jessica’s voice is curt.

 

“Apparently, you’re already married. To a certain Amber J. Liu.”

 

The fear that seizes your heart when your sister says Amber’s name nearly chokes you.

 

“Please, tell mom and dad not to hurt Amber,” you say weakly. “I’ll do anything.”

 

“Then you better be in the dining room within thirty minutes,” she replies, her voice growing more tense by the second. “Drive safe.”

 

The line goes silent and you slowly lower your hand. You’re so naïve. Of course your parents knew about the marriage. They had eyes and ears everywhere. Of course they’d run a background check on you. They always made sure to do things by the book.

 

You take one last look through the window and see Amber lying in bed, eyes closed again. You try to memorize everything in this moment—even though Amber’s heavily bandaged you haven’t seen someone look so nice, lips upturned while asleep. You’re not sure how long you stand there, but your phone vibrates again in your hand. This time it’s a text from Jessica.

 

Twenty minutes.

 

You tear yourself away and start speed walking toward the elevators.

 

“I’ll keep you safe, Am,” you swear to yourself as the elevators close and you descend into the parking garage.

 

The drive through the winding roads of the mountains takes a surprisingly short time.  You’re not sure if it’s because you’re dreading the upcoming meeting with your parents or because your mind’s been stubbornly replaying every intimate moment you shared with Amber over the last two days.

 

Even so, you pull up to the wrought iron gate guarding your parents’ property from paparazzi and intruders. The security camera mounted at the top of the gate slowly turns around and points its lens at you. A sharp crackle emits from the metal intercom outside your window.

 

“Welcome home, Ms. Krystal.”

 

You lower your window.

 

“Thanks, Marcus.”

 

You can almost see his round face break out in a smile and you can definitely hear the warmth in his tone.

 

“No worries! Hope everything’s okay! Go on through.”

 

The double gates languorously swing open and you floor the pedal. Your driveway is laughably long, nearly half a mile up a tall hill. Trees line the path and tall hedges border the rest of your property. Your mother had wanted a a tiger or two to stand guard by the gate, but the city didn’t allow the import of exotic cats.

 

After a minute, you finally emerge from the shady driveway and onto the large U-bend in front of the main house. A granite fountain spews water twenty feet into the air, each droplet falling in a precise arch back into the pool at the base. You park and get out of the car. The front door opens and a butler in standard English live

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter