Give Up

Late Nights Make Me Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber’s POV

 

Out of all your classes, you enjoyed mathematical physics the most. It established the rules of the world—if you reduced every process to its most basic mechanics, you could find the logical explanation behind its workings. Equations always added up.

 

Except for now.

 

Because you’re having trouble seeing how you and Krystal could exist together on one side of the equation without some sort of disaster balancing the other side.

 

Was four days of happiness all the universe allotted for you two?

 

No, a small voice defiantly says inside your head.

 

Don’t give up.

 

The math must be wrong. There must be an answer. You and Krystal were going to find the happy ending that you both know must exist.

 

It’s with this thought that you wake up and see Krystal drifting quietly into the room. Her face, so smooth and ageless before, looks worn.

 

“Hey,” your voice comes out as a croak.

 

She instantly makes a beeline toward you and picks up the pitcher of water from your bedside tray.

 

“Here, drink this.”

 

Krystal pours the water into a cup with a bendy straw and holds the straw to your lips. You sip gratefully. The cool water slips down your throat and despite its plasticky taste, you don’t think you’ve had anything so refreshing.

 

“Thanks…babe.”

 

You thought she’d at least smile at that, but instead her face collapses. She carefully places the cup back on the tray and grips the bedrail with trembling hands.

 

“I don’t know what to do,” she despairs.

 

She’s holding onto the rail so hard that you can feel the bed shaking. Her white knuckles stand out against her already pale skin, tendons rigid. You painstakingly extend your left hand and clumsily place it over her right. But instead of lacing your fingers together like how she used to, she pulls away like she’s been electrocuted and shudders.

 

“Please, not now.”

 

You immediately drop your hand but can’t help the sting that pricks your heart.

 

“Um, sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

She doesn’t offer more. You cast around for a new topic, anything to distill the awkwardness in the air.

 

“Where’d you go just now?”

 

A beat.

 

“I was in a board meeting with Kai and the directors of the hospital.”

 

“Kai’s is here?” you nearly shout but wince when you jostle your broken arm.

 

Krystal almost reaches out for you then but withdraws her hand at the last moment. The momentary flare of hope in your chest dies.

 

“Yeah, he didn’t notice you though.”

 

You sigh.

 

“So, it’s really true, then. He’s going to be director here and unless you marry him, the hospital will close.”

 

Krystal nods and you grit your teeth.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter