Chapter 8 - Don't Worry About Us

Smiles and Tears

“Number 53, Kim Yongjin.”

              “Number 40, Woo Jinyoung.”

              “Number 27, Paek Eunbi.” Phew, almost everyone I knew made it to the next round. Granted, I still didn’t know a lot of people, and 38 of us were getting eliminated today.

              As BoA kept calling everyone’s rankings except mine, I wondered whether I was really getting eliminated. Surely people wouldn’t actually vote for me, right? It was either that or… gasp! Was I part of the top 11? No way.

              “Number 10.” BoA announces. “Alyssa Kim.”

              “WHAT?!” I practically scream as Sungwook, sitting next to me, tackles me in a hug. “How – “

              “Shh,” Sungwook shushes my excited screaming. “I know you’re excited, but just go up and make your speech.”

              “Uh, okay?” I walk up to the stage hesitantly, still shaking at what had just happened.

              “How are you feeling?” BoA asks me kindly once I’ve reached the stage where all the seats meant for the survivors were placed.

              “Err…” I try to remember what everyone else said. “Honestly, I’m surprised at how many people voted for me. I didn’t expect to rank so high despite my lacking skills. So to everyone in Korea who did vote for me, a big kamsahamnida. I’ll make you all proud by working even harder and showing you new sides of myself. I love you all!” After BoA gives me permission, I run up to the #10 seat, next to Minhyun.

 

 

             

              Boys and men were crying all around me as they said their goodbyes to their eliminated friends. It was a bit of a shock for me, to be honest.

              I run over to a newly orange-haired Yongjin, who is individually hugging Sungwook, Hadon, and Chanyul. Besides Yongjin, the other boys had been eliminated, but in contrast to the scene around me, only Yongjin shows any hints of sadness. I guess the other three have already accepted their fate?

              “Hey boys.” I look at them sadly. “I’m so sorry you guys couldn’t make it.”

              “Ah, it’s okay,” says Sungwook, who finished at a low #91, patting my head affectionately. “I wasn’t that popular anyways, but at least people will remember me for my spider impersonation.”

              “I’m just glad I got to work with you,” Hadon admits just as Eunbi joins our circle. “Thank you for choosing us for your team, and for being such a good leader. You really helped me when I was nervous, and for that, I’ll never forget your kindness.”

              “Any time,” I respond. “But I am surprised though. I thought since you and Chanyul have some exposure already, you would’ve been more popular.”

              “We’re not that well-known,” Chanyul confesses with a sad smile on his face. “But at least we have a group to go back to. Don’t worry about us. Just watch our concerts!”

              “That’s one more group I have to stan now,” I remark in an attempt to lighten the mood. “Best of luck, JJCC-sunbaes.”

              “Say hi to Jackie Chan for me, all right?” Eunbi pipes in.

              “Okay, you fangirls,” Hadon laughs. “We will.”


Sungwook's labelmate, Daehyun, is debuting in Rainz and they just released an OST for Hospital Ship! Please give it a listen