Chapter 7 - A Woman's Dignity

Smiles and Tears

A week after position evaluations, I get a call from Mnet telling me to return to the training facility.

              “Whoa, whoa, what’s happening here?” I ask Eunbi. Mansae teams 1 and 2 are gathered around what appears to be an arm-wrestling machine. As I expect, the PD’s in the back tell us that we’re going to be having an arm-wrestling tournament between our group battle teams.

              “Is there anyone you think you can beat?” Eunbi asks me, nervously, which was understandable. Weren’t the two of us at a bit of a disadvantage?

              “Taedong looks strong,” I confess. “But he’s too nice, not that I’m gonna battle him anyways. I have someone else in mind…” I leer at Woo Jinyoung, who’s on the other side of the room.

              “Apparently, the other boys were in here and they all showed off their abs.” Eunbi rolls her eyes. “Do you have anything to show off?” Thankfully, the likes of Park Sungwoo weren’t present, that way I didn’t have to feel embarrassed about my not-flat stomach. My arms were somewhat defined from working out, so I had a chance against lankier guys like Woo Jinyoung. Turning to Eunbi, I flex, and then instantly cringe with laughter.

              Eunbi and I observe the guys first. Wontak has already beaten two guys from our team, and once he remembers Eunbi and I, he kindly asks Eunbi who she wants to go up against instead of ending her right there and then. Eunbi chooses the safest option, Jinyoung, as he’s the tiniest guy on the team.

              “Ready, START!” It looks to be a close fight, which is surprising as Eunbi doesn’t work out like I do. I cheer my friend on, hoping she’ll be able to defeat the odds, but ultimately Jinyoung slams her arm down. Nonetheless, Eunbi is satisfied, and I pat her on the back for putting up a good fight.

              “Alyssa Kim! You’re next!” Jinyoung taunts me. Whatever. I was preparing to beat him anyways.

              “Ready, START!” I grit my teeth and push as hard as I can, trying to keep eye contact with Jinyoung the whole time. We’re stuck at a stalemate for a good fifteen seconds before I notice my arm get closer to pushing Jinyoung’s down. With a slow movement, I’m able to slam his arm on the table.

              Behind me, Eunbi and Sungwook yell in shock. “What just happened?!”

              “Ahh…” Jinyoung approaches me, hugging me from the side to acknowledge his loss. “So I’ve finally met my match.” He smiles genuinely, not the devious smirk he always has. “I really like you. Let’s be friends, you, me, and Eunbi.”

              “Sure.” I hug him back, glad to have befriended a guy on the show.


Eliminations next chapter! Prepare your tissues