Chapter 3 - I'll Work Hard

Smiles and Tears

It was 2 am, and I just wanted to sleep.

              But the other trainees were still up, scattered around the training facility, silently practicing the dance for “Nayana”. I had to master the song and dance in three days if I wanted to even rise a bit in my ranking. Not that I didn’t like the guys in F class, but I just wanted to show the judges how much I could improve.

              By 4 am, only Taedong and Yehyun are still practicing in the little corner of the practice room. I observe them, trying to imitate their movements, and wonder if I should ask one of them for help. After all, Taedong had mentioned he specializes in dance.

              Suddenly, Yehyun drops to the ground motionless.

              “Yehyun!” Taedong almost screams before realizing he’d wake other people up. I run over to check up on Yehyun and feel his pulse. Well, he’s still alive. He must have just fainted from exhaustion.

              “Here, I’ll call 119,” I offer.

              The medics arrive ten minutes later to pick up Yehyun. For good measure, Taedong and I decide to ride in the ambulance with Yehyun, after I leave a quick note in BoA’s dorm alerting her of our whereabouts.

 

              “I guess it’s normal for trainees to overwork themselves, huh?” I ask Taedong in the ambulance, still staring with concern at the unconscious Yehyun.

              “You get used to it after a while,” Taedong groans.  “It’s just for now. After we get this re-evaluation over with, we can relax… somewhat.”

 

              After Yehyun regains consciousness, the three of us return to the dorms. It’s the evening before our re-evaluations, so we don’t have much time to perfect our moves.

              “Thank you for accompanying me to the hospital,” Yehyun confesses to Taedong and I. “I think I’m ready to practice again. Do you guys wanna work together for this?”

              “Definitely,” I agree. “I was actually considering asking one of you for help last night, but then Yehyun fainted…”

              “Let’s increase our ranks together, okay?” Taedong suggests. “Hwaiting!”

 

              Even though the three of us end up in different ranks, learning the Nayana dance with Yehyun and Taedong was worth it. Yehyun makes it up to C, while Taedong is the only trainee who shoots from F all the way to A. And for me? I goup to B, which is pretty good for my standards. As I get accustomed to my new groupmates, Eunbi walks in from D class.

              “See? I knew you could do it!” Eunbi cheers, squeezing me in a hug.


originally this was just going to feature Eunbi helping Alyssa learn the dance but somehow Ye-thoven aka Yehyun and F-to-A Taedong found their way into this chapter 

up next: Alyssa picks her team for the group battle and finds a new rival