Chapter 1 - Something's Off...

Smiles and Tears

I didn’t know what I was thinking when I signed up for this.

              The room was huge, with 101 chairs set up in a pyramid shape. Behind me, the walls are painted with triangles in varying shades of blue, some which show the words, “Produce 101”. Looking up at the #1 throne, I wonder if I should climb all the way up and sit on it, seeing as there was no one else here yet.

              Nope, I tell myself after experiencing the height of the #1 seat. I make my way to seat #49. I can’t wait to find out who will sit next to me.

              A few minutes later, a small figure with a white t-shirt and a white baseball cap enters the room. A boy?? He must be thinking the same thing, because he remarks, “Wait, what the heck is this?”

              “Did I sign up for the wrong program?” I ask in shock.

              “This is the boys’ season of Produce 101,” he explains. “I mean, they did say they were having a few girls joining us. So I guess it’s okay if you stay…” Was this some kind of cruel joke? I debate bolting out of the room and never looking back, but something tells me that it’ll be worth staying. Besides, this boy seemed pretty nice. “I’m Yongjin, by the way.”

              “Nice to meet you Yongjin, I’m Alyssa,” I respond awkwardly, shaking his hand. “Wanna sit up here with me?”

              After contemplating for a moment, Yongjin decides, “You know, I’m intimidated by this too. I’m just gonna hide in that #101 chair in the corner there. See ya!” He heads over to the #101 seat cheerfully.

 

              The room fills up with guys, and I start to regret my decision to come here. If there were really more girls, where were they? Thankfully, Yoon Jaechan sitting next to me has already pulled me into his conversation, so maybe being the only girl wouldn’t be so bad after all. But even though Jaechan is super chatty towards me, I still feel awkward, like I don't exactly belong.

              After almost all the seats have become occupied, a long-haired person walks in and everyone starts cheering. Yes, could it be? Another girl? The person heads up the stairs to the #1 spot and speaks in a somewhat deep voice. Welp, it’s just a long-haired guy. I could make out his name: Jang. Moon. Bok. Yongjin, you liar. Was this really it? Was that everyone?

              Then someone comments, “Hey, someone’s still missing! I wonder who it could be?”

              The answer comes in the form of a clumsy figure, who trips on the ground before taking the last remaining seat. I notice the figure also has long black hair, but he or she looks more… feminine than this Jang Moonbok that came in right before her.

              “Annyeonghaseyo, Paek Eunbi imnida.”

              Definitely a girl. Looks like it’ll just be the two of us in the sea of 99 boys. Though she’s seated far away from me, I can’t stop staring at her. I don't know why she's here too, but have a feeling we’d have to become good friends if we wanted to survive together.