Chapter 5 - To Be a Center

Smiles and Tears

well I thought I was going to write one chapter a day but then I got really busy and forgot about this fanfic

anyways, congrats to Wanna One (and Yongguk&Sihyun) on their debut!

 


 

 

“So, like, who wants to be the center?” I ask my team awkwardly after we gather together for the first time. None of the four boys say a word, instead just staring at me blankly. The atmosphere was tense, as we knew that skills-wise, we were the worst team. Then finally someone speaks.

              “Um, I guess I don’t mind trying?” Eunbi volunteers herself.

              “Sounds good!” I break out into a smile for the first time that day. “Let’s watch the dance a few times and try it out.”

 

              Three days before our performance, we’re asked to practice in front of the judges. Although the rest of the boys are fine, Hadon is still nervous, and walks away mid-practice to calm down.

              After we finally pull through our mock performance, dance trainer Jaeseung glares at us – more specifically, Eunbi. “I don’t think you guys are ready. Do you want to win or not?” All of us nod anxiously.  

              “Paek Eunbi! Do you think you need to give your center position to someone else? You just keep stumbling over that one dance move.”

              “No one else wanted to be center…” Eunbi whimpers. “So I just volunteered myself. Look, it’s difficult for me to sing and dance at the same time…” And before Jaeseung can continue yelling at her, or worse, hit her, Eunbi runs off, tears streaming down her eyes.

 

              I find Eunbi in our dorm, holding her cellphone, which she begged BoA to let her use for half an hour to call her parents.

              “EommaAppa…” Eunbi sobbed. “I don’t know if I can do this anymore… Why did I even volunteer to go on this stupid show?”

              Eavesdropping behind her, I can hear her parents’ words. “Eunbi-yah, why are you doubting yourself?” her mom asks worriedly.

              “We miss you a lot, and it breaks our hearts to hear you cry like this,” her dad adds.

              “Tell us the whole situation.” Eunbi’s mom instructs her.

              “Well… I’m supposed to be the center position for our first performance,” Eunbi explains, gasping between each word. “It’s just because no one else on my team wanted that position. I’ve been training for three years, and I still struggle with singing and dancing simultaneously…” She looks down to let her tears fall. “I just don’t want to let my team or you guys down… We’re already pretty bad as it is… Everyone is calling us the weakest team…”

              “Maybe this is sounding a bit harsh,” Eunbi’s dad states, “but it was your choice to join this show. Your spot could have gone to your brother or someone else. You have to stay committed, even if you feel like giving up, okay?” Eunbi tearfully nods.

              “Yeah, Eunbi,” a higher-pitched male’s voice, assumedly coming from her brother, chimes in. “That could’ve been me. I should feel sorry for not taking the opportunity. Ignore the haters and make me proud, okay? Hwaiting!” A hint of a smile breaks on Eunbi’s face.

              “I’ll try.” Eunbi reassures her family. “Talk to you again soon, okay? Love you.” She puts down the phone and notices me standing next to her bed. “Omigosh, Alyssa, I’m so sorry you had to witness that – “

              “Hey, the first time we met, I was crying in a bathroom stall,” I joke. “Since you were there for me when I was going through a hard time, I figured I might as well repay the favour.”

              “Thanks, Alyssa,” Eunbi sighs, grabbing me in a hug. “Let’s go back to practice and make sure Hadon and all are okay too.”