Chapter 11b - Promise Me

Smiles and Tears

The sad piano version of “Nayana” that plays after eliminations are over is all too familiar to us now. Once again, everyone is crying, but this time, I am no exception. Thankfully, Mnet learned from last elimination and conveniently gave all of us tissue packets for today.

              My first instinct is to run up to Eunbi and grab her in the tightest hug possible, but there are a few more people I have to say goodbye to first. Woo Jinyoung. Yongjin. Even Jaechan, who happily chatted to me on the first day, but never really talked to me again after that. Well, I can’t say goodbye to Jinyoung right now because he and Woodam are audibly bawling behind me while clinging on to each other. I’ll let them have their moment first.

 

              “Alyssa!” Jaechan calls out, sprinting towards me and almost knocking me to the ground. “Dude, I can’t believe we never talked again after that first day!” Jaechan grumbles.

              “Omigosh, I can’t believe you still remember me!” I gape. “I wish we could talk more, but now you’re done here.”

              “Here, have my contact information!” Jaechan basically throws me his phone so that we can add each other on Instagram and KakaoTalk.

              “Thanks Jaechan,” I sigh. “I’ll miss you.”

              “Me too.” Jaechan hugs me. “You know Taedong too, so he can tell you stories about me while I’m gone.” I giggle before returning his affection and moving on to Yongjin.

 

              “Alyssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!” Yongjin cries. “My first friend on the show!” He’s one of the lowest-ranked this time at #56.

              “Aww, Yongjin!” I coo, glomping him. “Are you gonna be okay?” Yongjin was the only trainee from his company, and had gone through a lot in the past with trying to debut and stay relevant in the K-pop industry.

              “I’ll be fine,” Yongjin assures me. “I just realized, you’re the only person left from Mansae Team 2!” Crap, he was right. “You gotta make us all proud, okay?”

              “Err… I’ll try.”

              Suddenly, Eunbi comes running over to me, squeezing me almost to death, her eyes wet. Seeing her makes me want to break down again, but I’m already running out of tears for today. All I can muster out is, “I’ll miss you, Eunbi.” Neither of us want to talk in fear that we’d cry even more, so we just silently embrace for the longest time in the middle of the auditorium.

              “Hey, guys?” Woo Jinyoung’s voice interrupts. “Can I join your little crying circle?”

              “Sure,” Eunbi croaks, letting Jinyoung in.

 

 

              By the time we’ve let out all of our emotions, most of the other trainees had already left, allowing us a private moment.

              “So… I guess it’s just you now,” Jinyoung whispers.

              “I thought people would’ve liked your rap,” I reply. “I certainly did. Both of you were so close though.” Not only was Eunbi one rank away from continuing, but Jinyoung was not far behind at #40.

              “I’d just like to confess something here.” Eunbi and I both gasp. Did Jinyoung… like me?

              “You were basically my rival on this show – the two of us were always trying to outdo each other. From battling for Mansae, to arm-wrestling, to doing the rap position together even though you’re not a rapper… You made my time here a lot more fun.” I chuckle, reminiscing about the memories we’d created together. “I believe in you. Make it to the top for both of us. For the other friends you lost today. And promise me we’ll keep in touch, okay?”

              I exchange contact information with Eunbi and Jinyoung. Then as we finally leave, Jinyoung taps me on the back. I worry he’s going to suddenly kiss me, but instead he wraps me in the biggest hug his tiny body can muster.