Chapter 5

I'm Always Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t sleep. I need you, hyung,” Changkyun whispered through the phone, hand gripping his chest, holding back his tears. Another nightmare, another restless sleep.

 

He noted the time was somewhere between three and four but knew his friend would come. Even if it had been weeks since they last spoke.

 

Changkyun suffered through his insomnia alone while he was dating Kihyun, but this time was too much. He couldn’t stand to be alone. Not tonight. 

 

He considered calling his boyfriend but figured that he shouldn’t bother the singer whose album is coming out in just a few days. They’d actually been spending some time apart the past few days to avoid any possible scandals (which could happen due to his small but powerful and dedicated fanbase), but their relationship was stronger than ever.

 

Changkyun still had yet to mention anything about Jooheon to the boy, though.

 

When Jooheon woke to his phone ringing Changkyun’s distinct ringtone, he jolted out of bed as the younger spoke softly on the line. He could hardly register the words when he was out the door and making his way swiftly across to his neighbor’s door. 

 

He used his own spare key Changkyun gave him who knows how long ago and unlocked the front door. Locking it behind him, he rushed to the frightened boy’s side, finding him sitting upright with his knees tucked in, turning into a ball each time he sunk into his own tight grip.

 

The older’s heart ached at the sight. He wondered how Changkyun was holding up for the past few weeks and there was slight hope that he was finally okay. 

 

But seeing that the boy was definitely not okay worried Jooheon into thinking he had messed up last time they were together, causing the younger to break off contact.

 

Shaking off his thoughts (because now was not the time for thinking), Jooheon closed the distance between the two and sat behind Changkyun, placing the younger between his legs and wrapping his arms around the human ball.

 

“Shh, shh. I’m here. Just breathe, my love,” he cooed like a caring mother. He pressed his face against Changkyun’s shoulder and used one hand to comb through the younger’s hair in a relaxing manner. Over the years, Jooheon learned certain methods to soothe the anxiety-filled insomniac. 

 

When they first met, Changkyun's parents were still around and both boys were in high school. At that time, they hardly ever interacted. Though they lived adjacent to one another, the boys knew nothing of the other. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter