As Ready As I Can Be

Aju NICE!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You ready?” Joshua asked on a Saturday evening while he entered back stage to meet his friend. Wonwoo was dressed in an all-white suit with a rose quartz collar shirt on the inside. A serenity bow tie sat at his neck to complete his look. When he turned around to Joshua’s comment he smiled at his friend who was also dressed in all white. The only difference was that Joshua’s collar shirt was white leaving only the jacket of his suit to have the rose quartz color. A small white pocket square was tucked on the of Joshua’s jacket while a matching rose quartz tie lined his sternum.

“As ready as I can be,” Wonwoo replied. They both listened from the side of the stage while another one of their colleagues bowed the last notes to her song on the brass violin in her arm. The crowd cheered and Wonwoo shared a fist pound with Joshua before he straightened his jacket to prepare for his performance. After the MC introduced Wonwoo as the top piano student at Pledis he entered onto the sleek stage. The bright lights from above warmed his skin, especially his forehead that was exposed.

Wonwoo raised his hand to share a hello and the crowd roared in response. When he placed his hands onto the piano keys before him he gave a smile melting all the girls who were in love with him. During parts of his performance he glanced over to the audience while his feet rotated from one pedal to the other beneath him.

“Isn’t he so good?” Seungkwan asked while looking over to Jun.

“I feel like I’m in some love movie,” Jun replied.

“I love you too,” Seungkwan replied and Jun smiled in response.

“I love you more,” Hoshi added and Seungkwan shoved Hoshi.

“Jun’s mine,” Seungkwan teased making Hoshi smirk.

Seungcheol listened attentively while Dino and Mingyu swayed their heads to the rhythm that sounded around the auditorium. Jeonghan had his head resting on his palm while he smiled at Wonwoo’s success. Seokmin sat up straight while Woozi and Minghao leaned on his shoulders, one on each side. Vernon who sat at the end of his friends was a bit occupied by his own thoughts.

Joshua listened from behind the curtain proudly while he prepared for his turn. Wonwoo pressed down on the last notes of the composition written by Mozart while he shared another smile. When he removed his hands from the piano keys everyone cheered for him. However, just when everyone thought he was done, Wonwoo placed his hands back onto the piano and the thought of you crossed his mind. In that moment he closed his eyes and began to play Elvis Presley’s Can’t Help Falling In Love. The change in genre transformed the mood in the whole auditorium making even the girls who didn’t fancy Wonwoo grow soft.

As Wonwoo pressed on each key he hated himself more and more. The memory of you, all the things you said to him replayed in his mind over and over. But even then, he couldn’t help himself from pouring his own passion into the song you so very loved. He opened his eyes and looked out towards the audience. The lights beamed at every part of him except his heart that was hidden too well. In that moment he wondered if you were in the audience to witness his song he secretly played for you. When he saw nothing but cameras flashing at him in a sea of darkness, he looked back at the piano to keep his mind focused.

Joshua listened to the emotional song and wondered when Wonwoo had begun to like sappy songs. He just wasn’t the type to be sentimental or show any feelings. The song brought you to Joshua’s mind and he smiled at the memory of your eyes and how you looked at him. If you could have been there to listen to Wonwoo’s tribute, Joshua knew you would have loved every part of it. You did, in fact, ask Joshua to play the same song on the guitar.

Wonwoo ended his performance and stood up to give a bow. As he leaned over, even though his close friends were there to support him, it was then that he realized how empty he felt inside. When it came to his piano he owned every single key. However, when it came to him, the most terrifying part of it all was the thought that maybe you owned the key. The key to emotions he wasn’t prepared to experience.

 

Joshua sat on a black stool in the dark. When the lights the crowd went wild, he smiled in return. A few girls in the audience screamed his name so loud he could tell they were sitting to his right.

“I wonder what Joshua has been working on,” Mingyu stated and leaned back in his chair.

“I love when he plucks the guitar,” Dino responded.

“Don’t it make you want to go crazy over him too?” Mingyu asked. Dino giggled in agreement and Mingyu chuckled in reply.

“Wonwoo did so good, I can’t wait to hear what Joshua will play,” Woozi announced while he lifted his head from Seokmin’s shoulder.

Jeonghan was now sitting up while Seungcheol leaned his head on Jeonghan’s shoulder. Hoshi stared at the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter