• CHAPTER THREE

  「 ONE MORE HAPPY ENDING 」
 
CHAPTER
THREE
 
 
 
 
author's note
 
 
woot woot, our naeun looks rather tough and a tough cookie but near the end i want her to really seem like she wants to be friends w woori - which is why she's lowkey worried if she's okay to do this or to do that. or if it's even okay for her to already consider her as a 'friend' ya know? wink wink? beCAUSE IM LIKE THAT ALL THE TIME WHEN I MEET NEW PEOPLE- WHEN I HAVE A LONG CONVO WITH THEM AND THEN I WANNA CONSIDER THEM AS MY FRIEND BUT IDK IF THEY CONSIDER ME AS ONE YIKESSS but yes, yes, yall were wrong to think it was haejin haha. but we lub our naeun 
 
 
 
 
 JUNG NAEUN'S POV 
 
"Hey do you want to go out for lunch?" one of my coworkers asked me as I was typing away on my computer.
 
"No, I'm fine but thank you for asking." I said while only giving my coworker a quick glance. They only shrugged it off and scurried away; asking other coworkers of mine.
 
I continued typing until I heard them: "Hey! Haejin, wanna go out to eat?"
 
I couldn't help but to roll my eyes when I heard his name; it's not like I had any beef with him or anything. But there's just something about him that irritates me. We're all lawyers, we work in the same firm, we both get the same amount of clients. So what can it be? I've wondered this for so long. I'm not sure if it's the way he looks sometimes tries to avoid eye contact with me or what. I mean, I think I'm approachable.
 
"Sorry, I can't. I actually have plans with someone." Haejin apologized again as I heard their footsteps going in my direction.
 
"Oh? Plans? A date, maybe? Plans with a woman?"
 
Haejin laughed awkwardly as the coworker tries to pry on his private life: "Hmm.. I guess you can say that I have plans with a woman."
 
"So it is a date!" 
 
"No, it's more like lunch with someone that I know." He said and he left the coworker, dumbfounded at his comment.
 
God, I hate some people here, always wanting to pry on someone's life. Mostly everyone in this firm gets their job done, but most of the time when they're not meeting clients, typing on their keyboard or filling out papers, they're gossiping.
 
I sighed, knowing that people actually care that much of someone's life at work to talk about them on their break time. Why are they like that? It's not like their situation is significant to work.
 
I started packing my things to leave for lunch, grabbing a folder and slipping a pen into my bag. I exited my office and I quickly walked to the escalator. I waited quietly for the machine to stop at my floor. I have a totally good reason why I turned down that annoying coworker, I'm meeting a client over lunch. One of the most rarest ways to meet a client, but this was the only free time that we both had.
 
I opened the folder to see some basic information that my client had filled out to take care of whatever situation that she's in.
 
"Ahn Woori." I mumbled quietly and skimmed over the summary of why she wanted help, "...Ah, a divorce."
 
I closed the folder when I heard the bell from the escalator, entering the vehicle after people left to enter my floor. I wonder what happened with her divorce. I didn't want to act too curious about her life, but hey, this is my job. I have to know these things.
 
After arriving at the lobby of my law firm, I quickly exited the building and pulled up the email that stated where we both agreed on meeting at. It wasn't too far but it was about a quick walk from my work place. I entered the fancy restaurant and waited in line to be seated by a worker.
 
"How many people?"
 
"Oh, I actually have a reservation under Ahn Woori?"
 
"Oh yes, please follow me." I followed the worker, expecting to be seated with the rest of the noisy customers - but I soon found myself following the worker to a more secluded area in the restaurant.
 
The worker motioned to me that this was my table and I found a woman sitting there. When she noticed our presence she immediately got up and introduced herself, "Ah, hello. I"m Ahn Woori, you must be Jung Naeun, right?"
 
The worker left to give us some time and I shook Woori's hand that was held out during her introduction, "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Jung Naeun."
 
"Nice to meet you too, well let's have a seat." She motioned and I nodded, taking the seat across from her.
 
It was quite awkward since I'm not sure if she wanted to go head on with her situation or not. But then again, this lunch was to meet my client... So I guess we should talk about it?
 
"Well, as you probably read from the email I sent... I wanted to meet you because of a divorce." She said with an ashamed expression and I only nodded in response.
 
"Not too long ago, my husband - or I guess you can say my ex-husband wanted a divorce. I didn't sign the papers yet since we do not have an agreement that he stated on the documents. Both of our names are under the house, and so much more..." She said with a sigh with a complicated pain expression that was pasted on her face. Whenever she said any form of 'husband' or the male pronouns it looked like she wanted to cry.
 
"I see, I'm sorry to hear that." I said and looked at her. Though she looked shocked and looked at me in the eyes.
 
"No no, I'm not here for a pity party. I admit that it's kind of hard... But at the same time if he wants a divorce and if he doesn't love me anymore what can I do about it, right?" She said with an awkward broken laugh, "I'm okay with getting the divorce I guess... But it's a bitter feeling you know?"
 
I'm not sure if she knew I was kind of confused with what she said but she only laughed and said, "Sorry. I like to ramble a lot... I tend to say things that might not even relate to the topic."
 
"No, no, it's okay. Also this might be my imagination, but you talk a bit fast..?"
 
"Oh my gosh, am I talking fast? Oh gosh, I thought I didn't," She laughed, "Well actually, I guess I do talk fast, I'm actually deaf." She said and showed me her hearing aids.
 
"Oh, oh.. You don't have to talk about being deaf."
 
"It's okay, I don't mind! I've been deaf since I was a kid and I've experienced so many troublesome encounters because of this disability of mine. But at some point being deaf wasn't too troublesome compared to when I was a kid. I think what made me fall hard for Sooyoon, my ex-husband, is the fact that he didn't care if I was deaf. And when he told me that, that was pretty freaking attractive if I must say." 
 
I couldn't tell if Woori still loves Sooyoon or not, the way how she just gushed about him seems like she really loves him. This totally contradicts the side when I first met her, she sounded a bit broken a depressed about her divorce. I'm not sure which one she wants to do. Try to keep Sooyoon or to just divorce the man. How complicated.
 
"Troublesome encounters as a kid... You've probably been bullied because of your disability?" I asked her and she nodded.
 
"Ohh yeah. I've been bullied when I was in elementary school... I'm not going to talk much more about it... But maybe for another time." She said with a wink.
 
 
 
We continued talking after that and touched on topics that did not relate to her situation at all. Which was refreshing despite the lunch being only for her divorce situation.
 
"Hey, I'll pay for lunch, don't worry about it." She said and she passed her credit card to the cashier before I could react.
 
"Wait what? Why?" It doesn't feel right for her to pay for lunch - after all, this restaurant is kind of fancy.
 
"Haha, don't be silly! It's on me, besides the reservation was under my name." She said and shot me one of her winks again.
 
We exited the restaurant together, and I thank her for buying lunch. We walked and talked abother other light topics that still had no relation to her divorce, though, it seems like she doesn't mind us not talking about it. Maybe she purposely tried not to talk about it today?
 
"Anyways, I'm actually going in this direction, what about you?" Woori asked while pointing to the opposite direction from the law firm. I frowned a bit, since that meant our conversation ended and that I have to go back to that dinky law firm.
 
"Ah, I'm actually going straight." I said while pointing to my direction.
 
She nodded, "It that our conversation has to end.. But until next time, right?"
 
"Sadly, yes."
 
"It's okay~ Here, have this. It's my number. Message me anytime! You can ramble to me too, since I did all the rambling today." She said giving me her number and smiling at me. I took the paper that had her number scribbled onto it. "Well, I gotta go now. Text me anytime, okay?"
 
I nodded and waved goodbye to her as her she started walking away from me.
God... What the hell was that? Was today even meeting a client over lunch?! It just seemed like I was going out for lunch with a friend... Which isn't a bad thing, us talking during lunch was very refreshing rather than those stiff talks about work.
 
Is it bad that I enjoyed talking to Woori over lunch? Was it even okay for me to not talk about her problem during lunch..? Should I even message her? God, I'm thinking too much about this.