six.

The Surrogate

six

"Absolutely not. ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

I yanked my hood down over my face, trying to block out the noise and light that was forcing its way into my body. My father had been yelling for a good half an hour and showed no signs of stopping.

"Rosalie Dounas-Song, you are only 17 years old. I forbid it!" My father bellowed, pounding his fists against the table. Needless to say, word of my idea had travelled to him and he did not agree. I threw my hands over my head, trying to protect my head from his yelling.

"Dad, I am so hungover I could die. Please stop yelling"

"I could kill you right now Rosalie, don't start with me young lady! And you! Did you put her up to this?" Thankfully my father had turned his attention to someone other than me. I couldn't handle that foghorn voice pointed at me a moment longer. My head was pounding and every mood I made felt like I was going to throw up my vital organs.

"ME! She's the one who burst into my bedroom asking my husband to knock her up!" Sophie cried. I knew she was pointing directly at me. I rolled my middle finger out.

"Thanks for backing me up Soph. Real classy" I pushed my body upwards away from the table, everything weighing a thousand tonnes. My feet were still tender from my boots the previous night but I managed to stagger to the staircase. Halfway there. 

"Regardless, I'm gonna be eighteen soon. I could legally have Kai's baby if I wanted to and there's nothing you could do to stop me" I swayed and had to catch the bannister. I was definitely still a bit drunk. I pointed at my lower abdomen.

"You want a baby Sophie? This right here is the best option"

I had somehow managed to stagger back up to my room because when I woke later I was snuggled beneath my covers, light barely breaking through. 

"You know there are better ways to make a suggestion than a drunk rambling trip to nowhere" I peered out from under the covers, hair plastered across my forehead to find Sophie and Seokmin at the end of my bed, watching me calmly. Seokmin handed me a glass of water as I sat up in bed, unable to look him in the eye. When I had initially put my idea forward, I had been less than ladylike when I made references to Seokmin's part in it. If I could blush, my skin would be a beetroot. I took several great gulps, punctuating the silence with my swallows. When I had finished, I placed the glass on my bedside table. I tenderly tapped the screen of my phone. Six (6) missed calls - Kai. I turned the phone over. Not now.

"I meant it, what I said about me being a-"

"We can't ask that of you Rosalie, we just can't" Sophie tapped her chest just above her heart, her eyes running along my pastel duvet cover. Seokmin was rubbing her back soothingly, communicating without words. They had clearly talked about it.

"Look...I know I went about it the wrong way but I think it's the best idea. I mean, you know I take the best care of myself, I'm peak fitness, I don't drink or smoke (usually), we live together..."  I was rambling now, faster and faster in an effort to quell the awful feeling I was getting.

"While we are considering the possibility of having a surrogate as well as adoption, we're not considering you Rosalie" Did I mention how much I hated to be full-named? We were enveloped in a pregnant pause. Ironic really. I started to object.

"But I-"

"You're just a child Rosalie. Don't be stupid!" Sophie snapped. I bit down on my tongue. Hard. I tasted copper mixed in with the hurt. Sophie words stung but she was right. Realization swum across her face as a sinking feeling had set into my chest. I wanted her to look anywhere but at me as a lump formed in my throat and threatened to make me cry.

"I think I'm going to go back to sleep" I murmured, turning away from them. I waited until I heard the sound of them retreating before I dared release the breath I found myself holding. When they had left my room, I buried myself under my duvet, trying to let the gravity of the situation set in. I had tried to give them a gift and they had turned me down. I felt an invisible force squishing me as a wave of guilt hit me. I was such an idiot. My phone buzzed and I slid my finger across the screen, running my sight over the numerous texts that accompanied all the missed calls.

Where are you? - Kai

Did you get home safely? - Kai

Did you even go home -Kai

Seriously Ro. Pick up your damn phone - Kai

Sophie told me you're hungover. Call me when you're not dead - Kai

Are you ok? - Kai

I gripped the phone angrily, my fingernails bending as I tried to pulvarise the keys. How dare he care so much! How dare he! I wanted to scream, to berate him. How could Kai put me in such a position, make me feel so important when I wasn't. I was just a child, a little girl. The world was so much bigger than me and no matter what I did, I would always be a silly little girl. Trying to contain my anger, I forced my phone to shut down and threw it into my beanbag. This was all part of the hangover. I just needed to get over the hangover.

I spent the weekend in a web of alcohol, hurt and shame. I had made a fool of myself, attempting to offer the only thing I could. In my head it made sense. I was so finicky about my diet, taking the utmost care of my body being an athlete. They wouldn't have to pay me, I'd do it for free. They would never have to worry about where I went cos I'd always be there. It made sense, but not to the people it mattered. It wasn't until the following Monday when I was back at school that I was woken from from my bubble of self pity.

I hadn't replied to any of Kai's calls or messages over the weekend and was filled with a sense of unending dread for the moment I saw him. As Minki chatted away, we reached our lockers and I clicked away at the combination. 

"Earth to Rose...Hello?" The object being waved in front of my face brought me back to the present. I flapped my hands at Minki, ducking backwards at the same time. 

"I'm listening"

"What was I just talking about?"

"Boys" Minki pursed her lips, studying my face.

"You're lucky you know me so well. I know that was a guess" I shrugged and thumbed the photo plastered on my locker door. As I rolled my eyes and motioned to look for my biology books, I caught sight of the very boy I was cautious to avoid. A little way down the hallway, Kai in the company of Baekhyun was walking in my direction, presumably heading for his locker. Unlike me, he looked better from the weekend and had clearly not been spending his days sulking. I ducked down, trying to use Minki as a human shield.

"Rose, what the hell are you doing?" Minki asked, trying to wiggle away from my iron grip. I did not want to be seen but Minki wasn't having any of it. She twisted away harshly, forcing me to drop my hands but I still stayed down trying to hide. 

"I'm not hiding...I'm just stretching for PE"

"We don't have PE toda-"

I stood up quickly, flustering to shut my locker door. I scanned the hallway for that blond head of hair but I couldn't see him anymore. Breathing a sigh of relief, I flashed Minki a sheepish smile. I knew she wouldn't accept that as answer but it would have to do.

"We have practice later?" I offered

"mmhm"  As I moved to close my locker, a large hand came into vision and swung it shut with a click, making me jump backwards.

"Easy there rum girl. Can't have you falling for me all over again" Kris grinned, leaning against the lockers. I scanned his body. He was wearing a uniform; black trousers, a white shirt and the school tie. I had a very bad feeling about this.

"Are you following me?" I accused, staring flabberghast at him. I took a half step back, shielding Minki with my body althought I knew he had already seen her. He was the last person I could expect to see and yet there he was, in the flesh, grinning at me like the cat that got the cream. Kris shrugged sleekly, looking amused.

"Some people would call it fate" 

"Keep dreaming Casanova. And to answer your first statement, I didn't fall for you in the first place" I quiped, folding my arms across my chest and giving Kris the once over. He was so presumptuous for someone I had only known for a moment. He smirked again. He liked doing that.

"There's still time" He stretched his body up allowing the hem of his shirt to ride and show the slightest piece of skin. I could almost head Minki's gulp behind me as he behaved so nonchalantly, "You look cute in that little uniform"

I hurriedly grabbed the hem of my skirt, forcing it downwards, knowing full well that it meant it would ride up at the back. The cut of the uniform didn't fit my figure very well so I tended to wear it haphazardly, rolling the skirt a few cms shorter to make walking easier, and ing a bit of my shirt so I could move my arms, but now I felt under scrutiny. Thank god I was wearing my school tie for once to prevent any angle down my shirt.

"I have to get class. Later rum girl" And just like that, Kris sauntered off, not giving Minki or I a second look. He slid into the crowd, unable to disappear due to his height but making great distance as every second passed. As we watched him go, Minki nudged me softly in the side.

"You realise he's just your type right?"

I ran my tongue across my teeth slowly, glaring at Minki from the corner of my eye. At times she really was too much.

"He was clearly flirting with you"

"He was not" I defended but before I could argue, she continued,

"But of course, you only have eyes for one guy" I glared at her, full frontal this time as we trekked towards our class. I uncomfortably shifted my backpack from one shoulder to another. It seemed that every conversation geared at me had only one destination. 

"Not today satan" I deflected, "Don't you dare say it"

"Well I just think if you gave Ka-" I planted my hand over Minki's mouth, attempting to stiffle her words but she kept going, eyebrows waggling. I shook my head at her.

"I'm sorry, Min. Can't quite hear you" A devilish flash lit up in Minki's eyes and before I could move, I felt something wet touch my hand. Immediately I dropped my hand and rubbed it forcably against my skin.

"You're disgusting" I scolded as Minki chuckled away and shut her locker behind her. Piling her books onto one arm she nudged me forwards and we started towards homeroom. I couldn't believe she did that. 

"You me!"

"Eh" Minki's noise of noncommitance made me laugh. I suppose this was why she was the girl I was closest to. She was absolutely crazy and we made a good pair. I wasn't as close to her as I was to Kai but it was nice to have that femininity around when I was usually bombarded by the boys. 

"Anyways, why are we always focused on my love life? Am I the only one who likes boys here?" I teased, flashing Minki a wicked smile. Minki looked at me suspiciously.

"Don't try and change the subject. I think we know I'll be fine. I'm not down for anything serious this year, some of us need to focus on our grades" Minki replied pointedly but I knew it was in jest. It did feel weird to consider that I might be up for scholarship due to my physical accolades rather than my grades. I mean, my grades weren't bad, but I wasn't exactly a straight A student. 

"Have you thought about getting a tutor?" I asked as we entered our homeroom. Minki motioned to answer but I lost her almost immediately. Somi was calling her over to their table and I knew whatever she had to say had piqued Minki's attention as she started to head in their direction unconciously before she paused and glanced at me.

"Yes I guess maybe. See you for practice?" I nodded and headed to my seat. I didn't blame her. My attention usually wavered too, when it came to the boy who sat next to me. But the seat next to me was empty. I plonked myself down bitterly. Where was he? I was half nervous that he hadn't turned up yet, I knew he was in today, and half annoyed that he hadn't bothered to make an appearance. I felt like an idiot, being a cocktail full of unnecessary emotions. Just as I made the decision to ignore him when he came in, Kai walked through the doorway, Chanyeol and Baekhyun follwing closely behind. Kai stopped for less than a millisecond when he saw me staring back but made his way to his seat. I saw a girl try to start up a conversation with him but he only gave her a cursery nod before he reached his table.

Kai slid into the seat beside me, placing his bag on the floor next to me. I was buzzing with anticipation. Every resolve I had to stay mad at him had melted away and all I was left with was a bundle of nerves. He sat back in his chair comfortably in his chair and as I waited for him to him to speak, Kai gently tossed something into my lap. It landed softly in my lap, the plastic packaging crinkling.

"I thought you might be hungry"

I thumbed the packet before tearing it open and stuffing my mouth with the treat. Anything that meant I wouldn't have to talk. I chewed slowly, deliberately, eyeing Kai and waiting for him to make the first move. I felt as if I was in trouble even though I knew I was being ridiculous. I was clearly still upset about how my sister and family had treated me and even though I knew Kai wasn't like that, I have suspected him to be on their side.

"Are you mad at me?" Kai furrowed his brow, concentrating on his desk. He drew tiny circles on the surface with the tip of his finger, before looking at me. I noticed he was wearing my favourite bowtie. I shook my head, covering my mouth as I tried to communicate.

"Why would I be mad at you?"

"You didn't answer any of my calls over the weekend, and I thought...I thought you were mad about the audition thing-" Kai trailed off as I appeared clueless. Audition? As it came back to me, I shook my head and swallowed the mouthful of cake.

"No, I wasn't-I'm not mad at you" I hurried, the words almost tripping over each other. I had been so wrapped up in my own family drama that I hadn't taken given Friday night a second thought but it was all coming back to me now, "I just...I just had a bit of a rough weekend" I glazed over the topic of the conversation. I still wasn't ready to admit what I had done to Kai, let alone myself. I felt a wave of relief wash over me and smirking to myself, I leant back into my chair, I waved the cake in Kai's face.

"Eat, dummy"

As Kai took a bite from the snack in my hand, I realised how easy our friendship was. We had both spent the weekend mulling over the possibility of having made each other mad but two minutes near each other and everything had sorted itself out. 

"I mean, I guess it felt kind of weird that you didn't tell me about your audition. I thought we told each other everything, but I guess everyone has their secrets" I know I definitely did. Kai nodded along, he had moved his chair closer to mine and was now sitting directly next to me, his arm slung around the back of my chair, "And hearing it from another person I don't even know, that was just the um..." I clicked my tongue as I tried to think of the perfect word.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't know if I had gotten in" Kai's phone started to buzz and his attention wavered momentarily.

 "It's ok, check it. We're not fighting" We were barely even squabbling when we were fighting. I moved my attention away from him as he checked his phone. I crumpled the cake packet and stuffed it deep into my blazer pocket that was peaking out of my bag. When Kai cleared his throat, I looked back up. His phone was still buzzing but he seemed intent on ignoring it. 

"So do you know now?" I queried.

"Know what?" Kai replied, his eyes darting from me to his phone.

"The audition? Do you know if you got in or not?" I huffed slightly. What was the point of having a conversation if only one party was paying attention? I waved my hand in front of his face, but now I had completely lost him. Kai has picked up his phone again and his eyes were scanning the screen. I calmly placed my palm over the screen blocking him from reading whatever was exciting that he could ignore his best friend.

"Hm?"

"The audition?" Kai shook his head. 

"I won't find out until the end of the month. I think they'll want to review all the tapes they took and I don't know how long that could take" Kai offered. He seemed so nervous about the audition and it made him so endearing. I reached over and hugged him, placing my head on his shoulder. 

"I know you're gonna get in. Dancing is what you do" I drew backwards, arms still around his neck and smiled. Kai smiled back and tucked a strand of hair behind my hair. My mind flashed back to Friday night, the last time Kai had touched my skin as he pressed me to my body. I laughed and looked away awkwardly, trying to cool myself down. The rest of our classmates had started to pile into homeroom and I didn't want to be caught in such a saucy embrace. I leaned back into my chair and twiddled by hair.

"Do you have dance practice later?"

"There's nothing scheduled until next week but Baek and I were planning to get some practice in anyways"

"That's good" I approved, "I have track later but we could still walk home together after. Maybe get coffee on the way back?" Walking home together was part of our usual schedule but I thought I would ask considering how much Kai had on his plate now. 

"Course"

"You're wearing my favorite bowtie" Kai tweaked the corner of it and winked.

"I know"

Kai's phone started buzzing again, angrily. I had forgotten all about it and looking down at the screen I saw he had a list of messages from an unsaved number. I leaned forward trying to catch sight of the words but Kai covered the screen.

"Is that Dream girl?" I teased. Kai smirked knowingly and shook his head.

"Not exactly..."

"Well who is it then?" I asked, craning my neck. I scrambled to grab his phone but Kai was faster. Grabbing my hands, Kai laced his fingers with mine and pulled my hands to his face, pretending to bite my knuckles. I giggled..

"Kai!"

"Jongin!"

Kai turned to face the door, still clutching my hands and stared blankly behind me. I almost didn't want to look. Turning to look over my shoulder slowly, I saw what had captured Kai's attention to perfectly. Standing in the doorway beaming the biggest smile I had ever seen was Areum and she had her eyes set on Kai.

You've got to be kidding me.

[A/N. Just to inform you, I have slightly edited chapter five as I realised I missed out a small section. Happy reading]