four.

The Surrogate

I rolled my shoulders back, trying to get rid of every kink in my body, focusing my mind on the task ahead. A little friendly competition with the neighbouring private school was always a good way to start the year and tonight was the night. Last year they had won, I had had to sit in out as I had injured my achilles tendon while training so I had something to prove. They were not going to beat us this year.

"Are you going to Yongguk's party after?" Minki asked, threading the laces through her shoes. I shrugged, pulling my leg up and pressing my heel to my bum. I hadn't really thought about it. I usually spent Fridays at the cinema with Kai. 

"As if! She's probably gonna spend it with Kai!" Somi cooed, putting extra enphasis on his name before bursting out into laughter. I blatantly rolled my eyes at her and continued stretching. 

"And what is that supposed me to mean?" I queried.

"As if you don't know" Somi tutted, "You two do everything together. You say jump, the boy says how high. I'm suprised you two haven't ed yet"

A brush crept across the back of my neck. I couldn't admit to myself that I had thought about it, and definitely could not admit it to my teammates. The idea of Kai and I being together was just one of those ridiculous young teen fantasies I'd had that I'd pushed deep, deep down.

"You're such an idiot Somi. He had a girlfriend the whole summer"

"More like a second girlfriend" I glared at her. The rest of the team had finished getting ready and were starting to chip into our conversation.

"You two basically do everything together"

"He only lets you call him Kai"

"Guys! Guys! Guys!" I had to draw the attention away from myself, "Clearly all of your love lives are so tragic that you have to make up stuff about mine" I strutted past Somi and stood in front of the mirror, paying attention to my face as I tied my long black hair in to a ponytail. I turned round and leapt backwards to sit on the counter, pressing my skin against the cool surface.

"Besides, you guys know I'm not interested in Kai anymore. I have my eye on someone else" I lied, offering a cheeky grin to my teammates. Now the heat was off this whole Kai situation. 

"Does that mean I can have him then?" Somi asked, seemingly still trying to press my buttons. I shrugged again, Kai's dating life wasn't really my busy, though it made my skin crawl, the idea of him and Somi locking lips.

"Do what you like" I replied, nonchalantly, flipping my ponytail over my shoulder. The chorus of ooohs struck up again. Everyone knew Somi was calling my bluff but I honestly didn't care, "Kai can date whoever he wants. I don't like him that way" 

A knock on the door interrupted the drama hungry gaggle as a voice called out from the other side.

"Can I speak to Ro?" God dammit. Somi, and everybody else turned to look at me. We all knew who that voice belonged too. Somi waggled her eyebrows at me, making long exagerrated struts and rolling her shoulders. As she reached the door, she spun around planting her back upon it and slid seductivaly half down it. 

"Ladies! My future lover awaits!" she exclaimed, and yanked it open to find Kai standing behind it. Kai's eyes scanned the room as everyone turned to face him. I remained stuck against the mirror, trying not to move. It was taking all my will power.

"Hey Jongin, you're looking handsome tonight" Somi purred, running her fingers down his sleeve. I tried not to flinch. Every one was waiting for me to crack but I could not, would not prove them right. A sea of unease had settled into my stomach.

"Um thank you Somi, I guess" Kai frowned, clearly confused as to why every eye was on him. He scanned the room again and this time he found me. He smiled knowingly. Somi cleared and he switched to look at her.

"So I was wondering if you had a date to Yongguk's party. Rosalie's not going...but I am" she winked coyly and I had to use all my strength not to pipe up. I bit down on my tongue, focusing on the pressure. I caught Kai looking over and wink at me. Uh oh.

"Actually Somi, I have a date. I'm taking my girl" and with that, Kai brushed past her into the girls changing room until he stopped in front of me. Dressed in a cobalt blue sweater, navy shorts and flawless white trainers, he really attrcted attention. Leaning towards me, that devilish grin running riot, he brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. I grinned back. Our subconciouses were linked. We liked to play games. Kai pressed his lips to my ear,

"See you at the finish line" he pulled away, brushing his thumb against my bottom lip before turning and heading towards the door.

"Ladies" Kai threw a salute before stepping backwards out the door and disappearing towards the sound of our screaming schools. 

"You're such a liar!" Somi declared excitedly, jumping up and down in front of me. She grasped my hands and squeezed them. She was very very happy.

"How long have been together? You guys make such a cute couple!" 

Before I could muster up the courage to answer, the school band started up, signalling it was time for us to represent. Somi cast two fingers up to her eyes, then to mine, and back again.

"This isn't over"

As we walked across the concourse to take our places on the bench, the first four racers taking their positions, the sound of cheers were almost deafening.I threw my arms up into the air, asking for more screams and the crowd gladly obliged, chanting my infamous nickname. I blew a kiss to the crowd, offering them a little showmanship as my squad marched around. We were getting hyped up by the energy. We were definitely going to win this. 

Taking out positions, I stood in the last starting position. I was the Captain of the team but I was also the anchor. One, if not the most experienced athletes on the team. As per usual, it was the best of three. We had one the first race, our rivals had one the second and now we were heading for the tie breaker. The blood was racing in my ears, my muscles tense and poised as I waited. The starting pistol went off, launching the first runners into position. 

I shut the noise out. Focused on the finish line. 200 meters was nothing. I had trained for this. Every single minute of every single day was made for this moment. Everything in my future was down to this. I forced the world to slow down around me. My opponent would be strong bujt I would be stronger. They were run hard, but I would run harder. The press of cool metal into my hand sparked my mind alive. I launched one foot in front of the other, knowing my adversary would not be far behind. I believed that every step I took would make it better, would turn back the hands of, would give Sophie her baby back. This was my only purpose. I wasn't book smart or traditionally pretty or popular. But I could run.

It wasn't until the roar of pride was deafening me that I had done it again. I stood immobilized trying to wrap my head around it when arms wrapped around my waist and spun me around, lifting me off the ground. Kai! As my feet touched the ground, I spun around and threw my arms around his neck, not waiting a moment.

"You're happy to see me" This was most definitely not Kai. The feel, the smell, the voice. Definitely not Kai. Pulling away slowly, I recognised the individual I had embraced. Yongguk.

"Yongguk" I hastily dropped my arms from around him, "I thought you were.." I coughed and looked elsewhere. Cheering, chanting faces circled us. Kai was nowhere to be seen.

"Go out with me" he urged, his hand pressed against my back. Without looking, I knew eyes were on us.

"I uh..." My eyes darted around for rescue.

"Ro!" Kai emerged through the crowd of excited seniors and leaned into me, sliding his arm around my shoulders. He pressed his forehead against mine,

"You did it" His eyes darted momentarily to Yongguk who still had his eyes upon me. I didn't answer his question and I didn't tell Kai. It didn't matter anyway. Kai lead me through the crowd as cheers and congradulations flocked my way. I was on a high and Kai was right beside me.

I didn't stop feeling the high of winning until I was standing in front of my bedroom mirror getting ready. It seemed cliche but I had nothing to wear.

"Sophie! I need you!" I hollered to nowhere in particular. The gentle patter of her feet grew louder until it slowed outside of my doorway and she appeared. She was almost smiling.

"Jesus H Christ Rose! Why are you screaming? Were you born in a barn?" she slumped down onto my bed, balling up my pillow until it was big and fluffy enough to snuggle into. She pressed her cheek into it gently before taking a look at me and sneering.

"You're not wearing that are you?" I let out a noise of exasperation and folded into my beanbag chair. I knew I looked fine, but party worthy? Absolutely not. I guess jeans and a tee really weren't the way to go. I didn't know why but I felt especially encouraged to dress well tonight. I threw my head back and blew a starnd of hair out of my face.

"It's useless. I honest to god have no idea how I'm supposed to dress for this. I might as well not go" I shut my eyes and snuggled deeper into the beanbag. 

"Is Kai taking you?"

"He's picking me up, yeah"

"So it's a date!" I lifted my head up and glared at Sophie. Why was everyone so interested in Kai and I all of a sudden? It had never been this bad before.

"No" I snarled, rolling my eyes at her, reaching for my phone. I was so close to texting Kai and telling him to go ahead without me. I didn't want to go with him to this party if everyone was going to put such pressure on me.

"Why does everyone keep doing this? Why can't Kai and I just be friends without everyone trying to force us together? If anything, we're getting push apart because of rumours like this" I scrunched my fist into the beanbag and tried not to let the anger I felt escape my lips. If Kai knew how much people teased me about the two of us, I knew he would end his friendship with me. He liked someone, really liked someone and what if the rumours of us drove her away. The idea of Kai getting hurt broke my heart.

"Alright alright, I'm sorry Rose. Look, let me help you choose an outfit. When is he getting here?" I had enough will power in my body to check my phone. I had very little time.

"Twenty minutes" Sophie rolled her eyes and dragged her body of my bed, heading towards my closet. She threw the doors open and started ruffling about.

"Come on Rose! Do you want to go to this party or not?" I stretched out my arm, admiring my manicure from a distance.

"Idunno" I mumbled. Sophie reached down and pinched my ear with her fingernails. I swatted at her arms and grumbling, took the clothes from her. Shuffling into my en-suite, I looked over the clothes she had given me. I didn't usually wear this sort of stuff. I wasn't exactly adverse to it, I was just usually at the movies this time on a Friday.

"Are you sure about this Soph?"

"Just put it on will you"

I stared at myself in the mirror. 

I. Looked. Good. 

Sophie stood next to me smiling, arm slung across my shoulder. Her first proper smile in weaks. She pressed a Jouer Papaya lipstick into my hand and nudged me to use it. I drew the beautiful colour over my lips, the finishing touches to a perfect outfit. Twenty minutes had made all the difference. A crop black singlet, matching mini skirt that barely graced my mid thighs and thigh high suede boots. Sophie had even helped me style my hair. I could have done a good job myself but it helped to have her speed on my side. My dark hair fell in iridescent curls against my shoulders. I looked hot. But something was wrong. My stomach wouldn't settle.

"Kai likes someone, Sophie" I turned to face my sister, unable to keep my face from falling. I hadn't known how much this was going to affect me until now. When Kai had started dating Hani, I felt like I had lost him. I had lost my soulmate and my best friend. We hadn't talked all summer and just when I thought I'd got him back, he'd dropped this new bombshell. When I was around him, it was like the old days. But when we were apart, the sinking feeling grew.

"And I'm scared. Scared I'll lose him again. I mean, when he was Hani I didn't hear from him the whole summer. What if this new girl is the one?"

"Believe me Rose. Kai will never leave you"  Sophie and I jumped at the banging on the front door. For a moment I was disorientated. I was laying my heart bare to my sister so the knock on our front door seemed foreign. We could hear the door open and the soft mumble of my parents voice against our new house guests. Sophie crept over to my bedroom door, which up til now had been wide open and peered outside.

"It's Jongin" she whispered excitedly, ushering me to her side. I could only see the top of his blond head as he was swept into deep conversation with my father.

"He looks really cute" she continued, peering over the bannister at him. I chanced a glance over the bannister, trying to keep the noise of my boots a minimum and looked straight into the eyes of my father. I smiled sheepishly.

"Hi Daddy" Sophie waved. He shook his head and beckoned to us,

"Come downstairs girls. It's rude to keep a house guest waiting"  Sophie obediently trotted downstairs while I dashed into my room to find my jacket and purse. I pulled the material over my shoulders as I took on last look at myself. I was still a little shaken.

"You can do this" I breathed. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I left my room, waiting until I heard the satisfying click of my door before heading to the steps. As I reached the steps to make my descent, I saw Kai for the first time. He had styled his hair upwards and away from his face, and was wearing a crisp white shirt with black trousers. I was secretly glad Sophie had helped me fix my outfit. I would have looked so pathetic in comparison.

"Come along Rose, Kai has been waiting long enough already" Kai turned and watched me as I descended, sizing me up from head to toe. It felt like a lifetime walking that one story flight of stairs and when I reached the ground floor we all stood staring at each other. My father cleared his throat. Kai dragged his eyes away from me.

"Make sure she gets home safe" Kai nodded and shook hands with my father, mostly out of formality. I weedled over to him and awkwardly soft tapped his forearm.

"Hey bud" His face crackled into a smile, "See you all later" I said, linking my arm with his and pulling him towards the door. My eyes pleaded at him to leave.

"Have a good evening" Kai bowed his head at my parents before he gave into the force of me pulling him. We hurried down the stairs and clasping my hand, he lead me away from my house.

"Are we getting the bus?" I patted the pockets of my denim jacket, trying to find my pass. Kai chuckled, nervously.

"Actually, I uh was thinking we could take my car" I looked at him, wide eyed. He gestured at the sleek black car a little away from us. I squinted

"Did you steal your sister's car?!" I accused. Kai was such a good boy. I couldn't imagine him stealing her car for a night on the town but you never really knew what a person was capable. Kai smirked and shook his head.

"That car is my car"

"Where did you even get this?"

"I bought it this summer. I figured it might impress the girl I like" he looked at me. I shrugged.

"Well I'm impressed. Shotgutn!" I hollered, jogging over to the car as fast as I could without breaking an ankle. Kai followed swiftly behind me and opened the door, gesturing for me to get in. As I slid in, he touched my hand, assiting and shut the door softly behind me. I waited until he had got in the drivers seat to express my feelings. 

"This is amazing", I slapped my hand against his thigh in excitement and he jumped. I gave him thigh a quick squeeze and let him go, reaching instead for the radio which lit up with blue lights. I fiddled with the buttons without much success before sitting back into my seat.

"Let me" Kai reached for his phone and scrolling quickly selected a song. I recognised the intro straight away.

"Nothing can stop me" Kai began, revving the engine into action and flicking his indicator as he pulled away from the curb.

"I'm all the way up" Thank god we had the same choice in music.

It didn't take us long to get to Yongguk's party. We'd spent the journey singing and rapping along to Kai's endless playlist of hip-hop and R&B. We knew we'd reached our destination when we started to recognise our classmates staggering towards the music that was getting louder and louder. Kai turned off the engine and sat in  his seat, letting the ping of the hot engine echo through the car. We were just round the corner from the party. I could see familiar faces walking past us, their conversations inaudible. I looked at him quizzically.

"Don't you want to go inside?"

"What were you talking to Yongguk about earlier?" I frowned and shook my head slightly. How obscure.

"Nothing" I replied skeptically, the frown still etched on my face. Kai looked at me, solidly, his lips a straight line.

"I'm being serious Ro. What were you talking about?" His eyes were intense, the way he looked at me. I began to find the environment stifling. He pressed his hand into the head rest of my seat and just watched me. I picked at the hem of my skirt I suddenly felt under his eyes.

"He...Yongguk asked me out again"

"Oh" Kai's hand slid down off my head rest and he drew it into his lap. He sat next to me silently, staring out the windshield. I could see the way his jaw tightened that he wasn't happy. I guess he really didn't like Yongguk.

"Did you say no?" he demanded. His voice was low, almost too low for me to hear. There was darkness behind it.

"Not exactly"

"So you said yes then?" the exasperation in his voice was very clear now. 

"Not exactly"

"Then which one is it Ro? Are you going out with Yongguk or not?" he pushed. I glared at him. His hands gripped the steering wheel tight. I felt as if I was the leather beneath his fingers, crushed. 

"WHY are you making this such a big deal, Kai? You're the one who likes someone else" I forced the door open and clambered out, as graceful as possible when one is in a huff. I took care not to slam the door, even though I was furious with Kai. Who the hell did he think he was, demanding to know things about my love life. It wasn't even a date, it had just been a simple question. I stalked away from the car, the angry click-clack of my heels echoeing through the night. I heard the car door slam behind me and the sound of Kai running in my direction but I refused to look at him. He had irked me.

Kai didn't bother to call my name. Instead he forced his way in front of me and stood in my way, his face stoic. 

"Can you just stop it, Kai"

"Ro, I'm sorry. I don't know why I reacted like that" he apologised, grasping my hands between his and pulling me in for a hug. I tried to ignore the fact that his body was so warm, and he was wearing the perfume I had bought him. I pressed my forehead against his chest, still refusing to actually hug him.

"Kai, you're my best friend. Why can't you be happy for me?"

 

[A/N: This chapter and the next were supposed to be one but it got two long so I decided to split it. I also think it makes for better reading]