003

Trying
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first dance lesson was fairly okay, but mostly miserable for Jennie. In just two hours, she learned two important things about herself: she couldn't dance to save her life and her sense of rhythm was almost nonexistent. Even with basic counts, she could barely keep up or move on time. She had to take things slower than what was considered average and felt bad, as if she was a burden to the other girls' learning speeds. The other girls in the room, however, were very understanding as they were also learning and were starting from scratch, just like Jennie.

Out of the other five girls taking the class, there was one girl in particular that made Jennie feel a little better about having to take things slow, as she needed it almost as much as her. She would occasionally make eye contact with Jennie and would never fail to smile every single time, even if Jennie wasn't smiling from her own frustration. She even gave a thumbs up at one point when Jennie had to stop because she was so frustrated that she couldn't get the basics down.

"Don't worry, Jennie," said Mrs. Kahi as she watched Jennie struggle. She was very patient with the girls so Jennie respected her very much, knowing that this was not an easy job. "You'll get it eventually. Every great dancer has to start somewhere, right?"

But that was it. Jennie didn't want to be a great dancer. She was only here because her mother signed her up and wouldn't budge. If it were her own choice, she would be home right now, probably laying in bed playing on her phone or something along those lines, maybe doing homework.

When the class was over, Jennie made sure she had all her belongings before she headed for the exit of the practice room behind some of the other girls.

"Hey, wait up!"

Jennie turned around and saw the girl that kept smiling at her walk quickly to catch up to her.

"Oh, hey," said Jennie as she gave a small polite smile.

"Hi! I'm Chaeyeon," said the girl, offering her hand for a shake and a bright smile.

"Jennie," Jennie replied, shaking her hand. Chaeyeon kept a smile on her face as she and Jennie began to walk.

"That was an interesting time, yeah?"

"Yeah, it was something, alright," Jennie nodded. Chaeyeon giggled.

"We're both kind of on the same boat in terms of skill. I don't mean that in a rude way, of course! We're just both obviously beginners... which again, I don't mean in a negative way... You know what I mean," said Chaeyeon, smiling. Jennie nodded, not the slightest bit offended.

"Like Mrs. Kahi said, every great dancer has to start somewhere," said Jennie, shrugging casually. She and Chaeyeon were walking down the hall and Jennie was casually looking at Chaeyeon as she rambled on when they passed a practice room that caught Jennie's attention. She halted abruptly, causing Chaeyeon to stop as well.

"Is there something wrong?" Chaeyeon followed Jennie's line of sight and saw just a random guy in her eyes, dancing along powerfully to an equally powerful song playing in the background. "Do you know him? He's very good."

Jennie couldn't help but stare into the window of the practice room, ajar ever so slightly. Was this amazing dancer the annoying boy that lived next door? She couldn't see his face clearly, but she was absolutely positive that the boy dancing was Taeyong. There was something different about him that made her think that he was not the boy that found a hobby in bothering her; he was charismatic and Jennie considered him almost attractive.

What, Jennie caught herself thinking, you did not just think that.

"Hello, earth to Jennie!" Chaeyeon waved her hand in front of Jennie, snapping her out of her daze.

"Oh, sorry," said Jennie as she shook her head, looking at Chaeyeon. "Let's go."

Chaeyeon glanced at Taeyong then back to Jennie and shrugged. The two girls continued towards the exit of the building, engaging in small talk until it was time to part ways.

"It was nice meeting you!" Chaeyeon waved cheerfully as Jennie waved back with a small smile before boarding the bus. Perhaps it was because she didn't have any other friends at the studio that she willingly accepted Chaeyeon as a friend even upon meeting her for one day, or maybe she was already influenced by her other friends at school and was learning to be more social.

When Jennie got home, her mother was just about done making dinner.

"I'm home," said Jennie as she closed the door behind her, slipping her shoes off and following the scent of food to the kitchen.

"Oh, there's my little dancer! How was it?"

Jennie shrugged, "Fine. What's for dinner?"

"Well, we're having guests over. So go shower and get ready, they'll be here in thirty minutes."

"Guests? Who?" Jennie frowned, raising a brow. Her mother was very social, so she had plenty of friends and many connections which was quite sad, considering how her social butterfly gene failed to be inherited by Jennie.

"Our neighbors next door. I ran into them at the supermarket and we started a conversation. Somewhere during the conversation I ended up offering them dinner at home and they said yes, considering how after all these years we've never had a meal together! Oh, and I think they have a son your age, maybe older? But I asked for them to bring him to keep you company!" Jennie's mother enthusiasm was surely something.

Jennie was about to brush off everything her mother just said when a thought hit her.

"Wait. Next door? As in... the house next to us? The next door over, next to ours?" Jennie looked at her mother, shamelessly hanging open.

"Yes, yes... Jennie, are you okay? Are you sick? And close your mouth, that's not very ladylike."

Jennie closed , coming up with an idea. She raised a fist to , coughing into it as aggressively as she could.

"Yeah, I'm not feeling

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter