010

Trying
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie would be lying to herself if she said she wasn't irked by Taeyong's lack of attention. He'd been on his phone for quite some time now, obviously texting someone and brushing off the question whenever Jennie asked who it was that demanded his attention. Her attention.

Was she typically the type to get jealous? Not always. But was she jealous at this very moment? A little bit. Or maybe a lot. It shouldn't have bothered her, but it did. Maybe it was personal, maybe something important was going on, but the small shadow of a smile on his lips told Jennie it wasn't anything serious.

The two were supposed to be studying together at a cafe on a nice Saturday afternoon, a cozy environment that had just enough white noise in the background to not be bothersome. This was the first time they actually were to do something productive with their time, as exams were beginning to creep up on them and yet Jennie found it awfully hard to focus.

Why was she so bothered? Well, she knew the answer but was mentally scolding herself for letting it consume her and her thoughts.

"Hey," Jennie poked at him with the eraser of her pencil, getting his half-hearted attention, "You need to study."

"It's okay, I'm not too concerned about this class. It's just history," said Taeyong, shifting his undivided attention back to his phone.

"Yeah? Then explain to me what historical event happened in...," Jennie paused, picking up the review packet that laid untouched in front of him, briefly scanning her eyes over it, "...the 1950's."

Taeyong's eyes flickered up to her before his left hand plucked the packet out of her grasp, setting it back down in front of him, "That won't be covered on the test."

"Then why is it on the review?" Perhaps Jennie said it with more sass than usual, but it was enough to get Taeyong's attention, for real this time.

"Are you okay?" Taeyong asked, raising a brow. His hands never left his phone, convincing Jennie that he might've had his hand physically glued to the device.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Taeyong looked at her for a moment longer before muttering something about girls always lying about being fine before he resumed texting on his phone. Jennie sighed softly to herself and rested her left elbow on the table, pressing her cheek against her palm. She stared at the notes in front of her but could only focus on Taeyong's fingers occasionally typing away, resulting in the both of them being distracted. She glanced at him from time to time, but tried her best to focus on the materials in front of her. She had absolutely no right to be jealous, so why was she? Why should she let a boy distract her from getting good grades?

"Hey, I think I'm just gonna go," said Jennie, closing her notebook. Taeyong looked up at her with confusion.

"Already? We've barely been here for very long," said Taeyong. Jennie shot him a look.

"It's not like you've been focusing and keeping me much company anyways. Might as well go home and study alone."

Taeyong frowned, "What are you talking about? I'm keeping you company right now!"

"It's like you're barely even here right now," Jennie challenged him, closing her laptop and shoving it into her backpack.

"Are you sure you're okay? You're a little feisty today," said Taeyong, finally turning his phone screen off.

"Yeah, I'm fine, it's whatever," said Jennie.

"No, really. Come on, we need to study anyways, just stay."

"I just can't focus right now," said Jennie. She wasn't lying necessarily, "Plus, it's not like you were the one studying."

"Are you sure–one hundred percent sure–that you're okay?"

"Yeah, why do you keep asking me?" Jennie asked, trying to keep her cool, "I'm surprised you even noticed anything other than your phone today."

"Oh," said Taeyong, setting his phone face-down in front of him, unable to resist the mischievous grin that made its way onto his lips, "Are you being jealous by any chance?"

Jennie shot him a harmless glare and stubbornly refused to let him win, crossing her arms across her chest as she leaned back against her seat.

"No," Jennie wasn't even sure what exactly to refute back to him. Instead, she pulled her laptop back out and pretended to busy herself with it.

"Girls are so strange," said Taeyong, shaking his head. "Anyways, sorry. The guys are just going crazy in our group chat right now, so I'm a little preoccupied."

"Why?" Jennie raised a brow, slightly embarrassed with herself that she was being jealous over him just talking to his other friends, instead busying herself by pretending to type something on her laptop.

"You don't know?" Taeyong gave Jennie a look of confusion. She glanced up from her blank screen with a mirrored expression, "I'm surprised no one's told you yet."

Jennie waited for him to continue, but when he didn't, she stared at him, "So... are you going to tell me or not?"

"Oh, right," Taeyong said, turning his phone back over and checking the screen, "I think you should hear it from the sources themselves.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter