The Blood Moon I

Imprisoned

  I'm standing in my room, staring at the pixelated moon through the window. My fingers trail along the sleeve of my suit to the embroidered rose near my heart. Tonight is the night of the Blood Moon, and the days leading up to it clearly showed as Daehyun's craving for blood increased. Whenever he comes home, he would order someone to give him a glass and ocassionally, he would be staring at people's neck, including mine, as if wanting to take a bite at it.

  I comb my fingers through my hair and wonder if I should keep the usual hairstyle or gel it back. I have never been to such an extravagant party and don't know what the standards are like. Sure, I've seen it in movies, but sometimes the movies versus the real world are nothing alike.

  “Daehyun will be ready soon,” I hear Zelo call out from the doorway.

  I tear my gaze from the window to the door where Zelo stands with his arms over his chest. Ever since that incident with Daehyun, he's grown quieter, and it worries me, but he shows no sign of needing any assistance. I spread my arms out before dropping them to the side, clearly hearing the loud slap as I hit my thighs. “How do I look?”

  Zelo’s eyes widen, probably not expecting me to ask that, and looks away. “It looks good on you,” he says softly. Then out loud, “Do you think Daehyun will be fine just drinking animal blood beforehand? He did tell me he's done it for years, but I've never seen this be done personally. What if he faints or goes berserk? What if he ends up biting you? What if-”

  I place a gentle hand on Zelo’s shoulder to comfort him. “Don’t worry. I'll be there to watch over him, and I promise you, he'll come back in one piece.”

  Zelo bites his bottom lip, unsure of my words, but he sighs and gives a single nod. “Okay. I trust you.”

  I smile. It's a promise I will fulfill as I have dealt with things like this before, and it's easier to handle when treated early. Also, I never plan on leaving Daehyun after everything I've learned about him. He needs someone by his side to heal him. At first, it would be his uncle, but since he's gone, Daehyun has been lost ever since. Now, I understand why the woman gave me this to wear. It's more than just clothes to prove whether or not I've been bitten; I'm the sun while he's the moon.

  After a few minutes and me trying to decide on my hair style (only ending up keeping it the way it is), we make our way downstairs and wait for Daehyun in the foyer. One of the maids tell me that he’s in the dining room, having a drink and asks if I would like anything to eat before I leave. I kindly refuse as I didn’t have the appetite to. My mind is constantly reminded of the idea of seeing vampires in one room, biting and the blood from their Dolls. Thinking about it now sends a shiver to my spine.

  We wait in silence.

  I can hear Daehyun’s light footsteps approaching us and I watch as he emerges through the hall and out into the foyer. I can’t help but feel my heart skip a beat as I admire the view in front of me. Daehyun’s hair is freshly trimmed and his lips are a gentle shade of red. His suit is similar to mine, but the colors are inversed and there is no rose embroidered on his chest. The black suit contrast his skin, making it seem paler than usual. He smiles at me which brings me out of my trance. I drop my head, feeling my cheeks burning from these strange thoughts.

  “Ready?” Daehyun asks as he nears me.

  The peppermint scent is strong and I can’t help but lean forward just a tad. It’s not enough for him to notice, but it’s enough for me to realize that I’m getting attracted to him. I raise my head and regret it. His deep brown eyes seem to sparkle more than usual and bore into mine expectantly as he waits for my answer.

  I nod shyly. Ah, what is wrong with me? “Yes.”

  His thick lips curve upwards. He speaks to Zelo, “You take care, now. And because I will not be home until late, you may send everyone home early. As for you, I want you to rest. I know you, so don’t worry about me since I will be with Youngjae.”

  Zelo bows. “Yes, Young Master.” Deep down, I know he will end up staying up until we return. That's just how he is.

  As he’s satisfied, he holds out a gloved hand for me. “Let’s go.”

  I hesitate in taking his hand, remembering the events days ago. He hides his scars with those gloves, making me wonder what other scars he has that he’s hiding. Taking his hand, I can’t feel his cold touch and let him lead me out the door and into the carriage that’s being steered by another one of Daehyun’s servants.

  We sit in our usual spot, and like always, I try to avoid Daehyun’s gaze. I can sense his eyes staring at me, but I refuse to look up.

  Suddenly, I feel a finger trace the rose on my chest. I panic and pull back, hoping he didn’t notice my heart beating quickly. I clear my throat and apologize, “Sorry. You just threw me off a bit. What is it?”

  His attention is turned towards the rose. “You read a lot of books, so I believe you’ve read the Scarlet Letter?”

  I nod.

  “Sometimes I wonder if that rose represents the A on Hester’s chest, but that could just be me over analyzing things. After all, I don’t believe my uncle to be an adulterer. He’s not that type. I’m sure if he ever fell in love, he would be committed to that person.” Daehyun plays with his fingers.

  He must really love his uncle. Yet why did his uncle abandon Daehyun? Based on the way he speaks of his uncle, it seemed that they both mutually loved each other like father and son, so what happened? What made his uncle disappear from his life? And how?

  My mind trails to the journal Daehyun showed me. He did say I can read through it, but it didn’t seem right. I don’t know anything about his uncle and he doesn’t know anything about me. In fact, he doesn’t know I exist, so why should I read his most personal and private treasure? The name on journal isn’t his either, so clearly, he wants to keep it private.

  I place my hand on top of the rose. “Well, the red rose does also represent love, longing, or desire, but it could also just be because this suit was made at the Red Rose, so it’s their symbol.” Maybe we are over analyzing these things.

  Daehyun shakes his head thoughtfully. “I don’t think so. This is the only suit that has the rose.”

  Then, I don’t know. A thought comes to me, "What was the previous owner like?

  Daehyun’s gaze goes beyond me. “If I remember correctly, she was beautiful with a soft spoken voice. She was smart, too, and kind. Because of that, I always wonder why she was there at the Dome, but then I’m reminded that with any kind of crime, no matter what degree, people are sent here. Well, at least most are. The dangerous ones are always sent somewhere else based on what I’ve heard from other vampires. I digress. I honestly don’t remember a lot about her since I rarely interacted with her. I can only recall what my uncle tells me.” He closes his eyes. “All I can remember of her physical appearance is her long, black hair, and these eyes that contrasted so well with her dark hair. I can’t remember if they were blue, green, or hazel, but they were eyes unlike any other.”

  I see. Just what kind of past did the uncle and her have for her to make something like this? No one would just make a personalized suit for a customer unless they requested it. Something just doesn't seem to add up.

  We begin talking more about the Blood Moon banquet. Daehyun warns me that the pheromones will be strong once the Blood Moon fully rises. He also warns me that someone is bound to watch you whether it’s for a second or for ten minutes. Not once, will eyes leave me because he knows I’m special. It’s my scent. However, he assures me that he will try his best not to leave my side and protect me if something does go wrong.

  “I swear to protect you,” he says in the most sincere voice as possible. “I won’t let anyone harm you because you are mine, and mine alone.”

  I can’t tell if I should be flattered or skeptical about his words. Yes, he’s going to protect me, but the way he says that I’m his makes me seem like I’m just property and not someone he’ll take care of. But my heart still beats the same. “I’ll take your word for it, then.”

  He grins.

  Oh, that smile is just so captivating.

  The carriage comes to a halt and shakes as the driver climbs down to open the door. Daehyun steps out first to offer me a hand. The first thing I see is not his hand, but the mansion before us. It’s larger than Daeyhun’s and more elegant. The front yard had many trimmed hedges shaped as angels, pegasus, and other supernatural beings. A fountain stands proud in the middle, blocking the view of the front door. Carriages are parked along the road that surrounds the fountains and I see vampires of high social class step out with their Dolls. Many of the Dolls are dressed just as nice as their owners, but most of them are expressionless as they robotically trail behind their owner with their heads down. Some are even chained by the neck as if they are pets. I cringe at that view and forget that Daehyun’s hand is held out for me.

  “Are you feeling alright, Youngjae?” He asks.

  “Oh! Yeah, I’m okay.” I take his hand and once again, he leads me. I wish I can hold his hand like this forever.

  As we walk to the door, pass the other vampires, I can tell they’re staring at us, especially the back of my neck. I did not carry the usual branding like all the other Dolls, and I know I also receive jealous glares. I rub the back of my neck. Maybe it’s a bad idea for me coming here.

  Daehyun’s hand squeeze mine, tightly.

  I look at him, but his eyes are straight forward and I can’t help but smile. He’s trying to comfort me and assure me that he will not let go. Bringing my head high, I puff out my chest and do my best to keep a stable composure. I cannot show any weakness, and remember that I am immune to pheromones. They can’t do anything to control me.

  We walk in and are lead towards the ballroom. It’s dark inside except for the Moonlight that spills through the glass windows. I can clearly see the paintings and portraits that decorate the place. The portraits are all faces of vampires holding or having a skull somewhere as a prop. They loom over us, giving us empty stares. As we walk down the stairs to the ballroom, I find a flock of vampires conversing with each other, holding a glass of blood. Some even have their Dolls close by while others group them up in a corner where they stand quietly.

  “Just remember to stay close by,” Daehyun mutters, “As long as you’re next to me, no one will harm you.”

  I nod my head. “Alright.” I inch closer to him as we approach the crowd. The scent of blood fills my nostrils and almost makes me gag. I try to focus on Daehyun’s peppermint smell, but the blood was intense and filled the whole room. The other Dolls don’t seem to be affected, but I know they also are uncomfortable. Among the blood smell, there’s also a mixture of different perfumes, making my head hurt.

  Daehyun releases my hand and approaches a group of vampires much older than we are. He speaks to them with such confidence and poise, it makes me wonder if this is the Daehyun he shows when he’s on business trips. I want to speak to the other Dolls, but they stand and stare blankly just like the paintings. Some, also seemed unapproachable as if they were thinking of ways to murder you when they get a chance.

  I keep a distance between Daehyun and me as I don’t want to seem desperate for his attention. All I have to do is make sure he’s somewhere near me that way he can hear me is something goes wrong. As I wait patiently for him to finish talking to these older vampires, I catch a few conversations that pique my interest. But one in particular catches my attention.

  “There’s been attacks near the Western parts of the Dome,” one vampire announces. She brings the glass of blood to her lips and takes a sip before continuing, “It’s not just towards vampires, but the criminals also. It seems they’re testing how long the police will respond before reaching the incident.”

  The other vampire widens her eyes. “Who could be doing it? The criminals?”

  The first shakes her head. “I don’t know. They usually disappear as the incident takes place. However, I did hear they target places that-“

  I can’t hear more as they walk towards a waiter who carries several glasses of blood and hands it to them while taking the empty glass away.

  As Daehyun finishes his conversation, he gives them a bow and parts. He makes his way through the ballroom, greeting whoever he recognizes with either a smile or bow. A part of me is amazed at how he knows so many vampires here, but that should be a given since this is a common event for high class vampires such as them.

  “Everything is going smoothly,” Daehyun says to me.

  “I guess.” I can still feel the eyes surrounding me.

  He stops and leans close to my ear. “Do not worry about them. Just pay attention to me.”

  As he speaks, I can feel his hot breath blow against my ear, causing me to shiver and heave a sigh. A strange feeling courses through me, making me blush hard and heart pound. I have never felt this way in so long. Realizing these thoughts, I take a step back and scold him, “Careful of getting too close to me. You said that people are always watching, and I know you don’t want to ruin your reputation.”

  “Yes, you’re right, but I can always pretend that I’m threatening to punish you if you don’t behave.”

  I don’t know why, but again, that weird feeling comes back, digging deep into my stomach. I need to get ahold of myself! “That could work,” I say. Even with all these cold bodies around, I’m feeling really hot right now. I wonder if this heat is radiating off of me.

  Daehyun laughs. “But it’s best if I don’t have to explain.” He turns and take a step forward, but freezes.

  I nearly bump into him as I didn’t notice until I look down to see his feet stuck in place. His eyes are up ahead and wide. His mouth gapes and I can tell he’s troubled. I follow his eyes to see a young vampire with obsidian eyes and an intimidating aura. He lips are curved to a smirk as he comes up to us. Behind him, I see a man I knew so well.

  That black, curly hair and dark, intimidating eyes. It can only be one person.

  “Yongguk,” I mutter, low enough for Daehyun not to hear.

  Yongguk notices me and we just stare at each other for a long time. It isn’t until I hear the vampire speak to Daehyun, I tear my gaze from him. I didn’t expect Yongguk especially in a place like this. Well, he does fit the requirements to become a Doll, but why is he in the Dome? What kind of crimes did he commit? I don't recall him ever being a criminal. Unless...

  “Good evening, Daehyunnie,” the young vampire greets, as if mockingly with the nickname.

  Daehyun straightens himself. “Himchan.”

  The vampire named Himchan, glances at me before saying, “I see you have yourself a Doll. I didn't expect you to choose someone who looks so... innocent."

  Daehyun doesn't say a word.

  Himchan continues in that same mocking tone, "Why doesn’t he have your emblem? Are you too ashamed to even prove that he is yours?”

  Daehyun glares. “No. I don’t like branding what’s mine. I feel like it taints their beauty. And isn’t keeping them close by enough proof that he's mine?”

  Here goes my heart again.

  Again, Himchan looks at me, judgingly. I shift my weight and avoid his gaze. This guy is dangerous. If I make one wrong move, who knows what he will do with me, with or without someone looking.

  “I heard your business at that little bank of yours is running well,” Himchan states, changing the subject to my relief.

  “Yes, and your perfume business is doing well?”

  “Of course. As you can tell, many of the guests are wearing my perfume. Why don’t you place an order from me? I’ll give you a discount, considering you’re a long time friend, and I can choose,” he leans towards Daehyun and takes a sniff, “a better scent for you.”

  Daehyun shakes his head. “I prefer this.”

  Himchan crinkles his nose. “Suit yourself. I still don’t understand why you like that scent so much. It's not the most common choice among humans and vampires, but whatever. You’re more like your uncle rather than your father, always doing things differently. Maybe you will be the next one to disappear.” He glances at me.

  I watch as Daehyun clenches his fist and grinds his teeth. I can tell he wants to yell and punch at Himchan as his pheromones rage for a split second before he relaxes his body. He sighs through his nose and forces a smile with the corner of his lips trembling. “My uncle was more of a father than my father will ever be. That’s a fact. And I will not tolerate you talking down on him.”

  Himchan remains stoic as a dark shadow casts upon his face, but he, too, hides his true intentions with a smile. “Just remember, I have nearly fifty years on top of your age. You are still considered a child, Daehyun. You know very little about Minseok and his affairs, and you certainly know nothing about his disappearance. He doesn’t even deserve to be a vampire.”

  Daehyun’s pheromones leak gradually from him, and I’m sure others begin to notice. Quickly, I take his wrist and squeeze him tight to remind him that he’s out in public. This gesture is enough to stop his pheromones from escaping, but the few vampires who did feel it begin to whisper amongst each other before turning their attention away from him.

  “See? You’re still a child, unable to control your anger. If I were you, I would at least try to gain some information about Minseok and the woman who gave him that suit.” Himchan nods his head towards the rose on my chest. “Come, Yongguk. We have more guests to speak to,” he motions for Yongguk to follow and spins on his heels before striding off.

  Yongguk never leaves my gaze until he, too, turns around and follow his master. On the back of his neck, I see a snake coiled up with its head pointing up his neck.

  “Daehyun, are you alright?” I mutter while still holding his wrist.

  He snatches his hand away and nods his head. “Yes, but please don’t touch me. It’s inappropriate for a Doll to touch its master that way. Only I can be the one to touch you.”

  I feel like if Daehyun continues this, my heart will literally jump out of my chest. “I’m sorry,” I apologize.

  Daehyun’s hand gently brushes my cheek and he has a warm smile. “There’s nothing to be sorry for. I just have to play my part,” he whispers. His hand trails down my neck as if wanting to bite it right then and there. A shiver runs down my spine and my eyes close. I want him to touch me more, but the hand pulls away and I see him walking away.

  I quickly follow, feeling a tightness in my stomach that I can’t understand. What is going on with me? I have never felt this way in so long, and I certainly don’t want to remind myself of these feelings. I don’t want the past to repeat itself.

  I stay behind Daehyun as he begins speaking to other vampires in the room. This is all they seem to do until humans carrying instruments come in and stand on a platform to play classical music. The sounds of the violin, cello, and harp calms me, but at the same time, I can still feel the tension as the Blood Moon approaches. The vampires are beginning to get restless and I can see their fangs growing, pressing against their bottom lip. Sometimes their eyes will glow red with a gaze of pure hunger as they see their Dolls next to them.

  It sickens me, but at the same time I know this is how they survive. They feed off of our blood while we feed off of nearly every animal and plant that’s part of several food chains. Just who exactly are the animals here?

  The Dolls around me are mainly faces of strangers, but some I recognize from the news. There are a few infamous murderers and thieves, feared by many, but in this world, they’re nothing more than just food. Some are even unrecognizable until further inspection because their cheeks are sunken in and their eyes droopy from all the torture they experienced.

  I’m one of the lucky ones, being placed with Daehyun. Even though he has many problems, I prefer a relationship like this rather than a prey and predator relationship.

  No matter how many faces I see, I am constantly finding myself to watch Jung Daehyun. Among the other vampires and humans, he stands out with that sad gaze that he hides so well under that smile and those thick lips in which he and bites whenever he’s nervous. His hands will move either gracefully or sporadically depending on the conversation and his head is held up high as if he’s proud of who he is. His laugh is contageous and I can't help but smile every time I hear it. These things I didn’t notice before, or maybe I did but didn’t revel in it until now. Just when did he become so beautiful? Well, he’s been beautiful, but I never realized it until I’m observing him on the sidelines.

  Part of me wants to come up to him and touch those lips just to know what they feel like, but I find myself pressing a finger on mine, just imagining the thought of them kissing me.

  No.

  What am I thinking? I shake my head vigorously and occupy my mind to something else, something that’s not Jung Daehyun.

  “Ah, this is really inappropriate,” I utter to myself. Luckily, the music around us is loud enough for noone to hear me. Definitely loving a vampire is a taboo.

  In the middle of my thoughts, the air suddenly feels heavy and a familiar sensation courses through me. I look at Daehyun, but it is not him who is causing the disruption, and it brings to my attention that it’s someone that I wish to not see. My head detects where these strong pheromones come from, and my eyes widen.

  Entering the ballroom is none other than Daehyun’s father.


Author's Note:

  Yeah, I did say the chapter over the Blood Moon will be longer, but it's actually the second part that will contribute the most cause I got a special scene for you guys (sorry, no, it's not rated haha). And sorry for the late-ish update, but I didn't have internet at my apartment last night, so I wrote this on a word document and didn't have time to finish the chapter until now (I needed to edit a video for extra credit and I went hiking with my friend today!) Hope you liked it, and we're finally seeing more of Youngjae's feelings towards Daehyun (:

With Love,

LokiCraze123