The Visit

Imprisoned

  Ever since our confession a couple of Nights ago, life with Jung Daehyun is much lighter. He still teases me and we always laugh because of it. Occasionally, when no one is looking, we would share a quick kiss before returning to our usual routine with him going to the Bank while I help around cleaning. Zelo suspects something, but he doesn’t say anything.

  As I wake up, I find myself a little groggy. On my bedside table lay the handkerchief splayed out. I never got the chance to give it back to Daehyun, but maybe I will try tonight. It takes me a while to end my grogginess. When I do so, I see a figure sleeping next to me. I shoot up and notice it's Daehyun, bent on a chair with his head resting beside me. Just when did he get here? I want to yell at him and question him, but seeing his peaceful self makes me resist. Actually, there's nothing wrong with him being here. I reach out and comb my fingers through his silky hair.

  Daehyun stirs, but doesn't wake up.

  "I hope you're having sweet dreams," I whisper and continue my movements.

  Slowly, his eyes flutter and he looks up to me with those deep brown eyes. A smile comes across his face. "Good Evening."

  "Hey." My heart beats fast. We confessed to each other that Night, and I'm still lost for words. What can I say next? "What are you doing here?" I mentally slap myself. Is that really all I can think of?

  Daehyun pouts. "Well, since you always refuse to sleep next to me, I decided to sleep here. I did try laying next to you, but you literally kicked me off your bed while you were asleep. You must really love sleeping by yourself." He sits up and turns his head. His eyes land on the handkerchief.

  "You can take it back."

  Carefully, Daehyun lifts it up and places it on his palm to reveal the red rose. As he carresses the embroidery, there's a longing in his eyes. He shakes his head. "You can keep it."

  My eyes widen. "You want me to keep it? I don't think so. It's your uncle's in the first place!"

  I want to say more, but the look in his eyes tell me otherwise. The handkerchief is definitely something he cherishes, but maybe by handing it to me, he's accepting the fact that his uncle is no longer with him. Daehyun takes my wrist and places the handkerchief in my hand. "Just keep it. It's like a little token of my gratitude."

  "Token of your gratitude. How romantic," I say sarcastically. A part of me is happy that he said those words. They're just strange coming from his lips. I mean, who says those kind of things now? "I think you've read way too many classical books."

  Daehyun chuckles. His chuckle melts my heart. Oh, how I want to hear that every day. "I thought you humans like hearing those kind of things. Do you not?"

  "Well, to an extent. Everyone is different. Some like simple gestures while others like... what you're doing." It's really hard explaining these things to Daehyun. Actually, it's hard explaining personal preferences to anyone.

  "Then... What do you prefer?"

  Damnit, Daehyun. He needs to stop asking these questions. I never know what to say. "That's not important. Just... Just do whatever you like." I pull off the covers and swing my legs over the edge of the bed. Here, I'm sitting next to Daehyun who is still on that chair, looking up at me with those sparkling, chocolate brown eyes. "What?"

  "Nothing." His voice comes soft, almost alluring.

  My heart beats quickly in my chest. Those eyes are just so beautiful. I can look at them all day, but that'll be too embarrassing. I tear my gaze away from him and jump to my feet. Just what will I have in store Tonight? Then, that Night's events hit me and a sudden heavy feeling courses through me. My mind has constant thoughts about the blue-haired vampire, but I just can't make sense to his words. My fists clench, crumpling the handkerchief.

  "What's wrong?" Daehyun asks, never leaving his spot.

  "Nothing."

  He knows better. His cold hands wrap around my wrists, but he says no words.

  I shiver at his touch - not only because of his icy touch, but just the fact that such a simple gesture can relax me. "I really hope Jongup is okay," I mutter. He's been suspected as being part of whatever plan the blue-haired vampire was talking about, but I know he's innocent. He has to be. The vampire must've controlled him to do the unthinkable. I can't imagine Jongup causing all this trouble.

  The grip on my wrists tightens. "I'm sure he's fine. He's being taken care of. I'm sure once he's healed, he will return to his normal duties, and you will be able to visit him as many times as you want."

  I want to believe him. I really do. There's just so many questions going on in my head and everything cycles back to the conversation during the Blood Moon. Attacks were occurring even before a couple Nights ago, and one just happened to be the Jung's bank. Just who exactly are planning these attacks and why? What message are they trying to convey? Why did they decide to attack the Bank when vampires need the blood to survive? It didn't make sense.

  Daehyun releases me and stands with a sigh. He rubs the back of his neck. "Are you hungry? I think it's about time to eat."

  I'm quite distracted. However, I do hear his words and give a slow nod. "Yeah. Let me just change and I'll head downstairs. You should, too because I'm sure your father wants you at the Bank to make sure there's progress on the building. I hear that some of your employees applied for another job."

  "It's true. We still have plenty of employees, but ever since that attack, not many vampires go to our Bank to deposit blood. It's a shame because business was doing well according to the reports." There's a long pause as Daehyun's eyes skim the area, looking a bit bored. After a few seconds, he throws his arms up and groans. "Ah! Let's not talk about business. I just want a normal conversation when we meal together. You were so cute sleeping peacefully on your bed. If only I was sleeping next to you!"

  I blush, and quickly hide it with a smack on Daehyun with my pillow. "Shut up."

  He chuckles. "It's true."

  I almost hit him.

  Almost.

  Before I could take a swing at him, Daehyun leans forward and gives me a chaste kiss. He doesn't let me process it and trudges to the door with a huge smile on his face. As he swings the door open, he gives me a single wave and wink. "I'll meet you downstairs, Jae." With that, he exits my room, closing the door right behind him.

  I'm frozen in spot. Wait, did he just call me Jae? And did he just kiss me? Sure, this isn't the first time I kissed him, but it still throws me off. A part of me still can't believe I confessed to Daehyun, and he seems to accept me. It's still a gray area as he's still trying to get used to expressing those kind of feelings towards me. He's getting better, but I know there's still some hesitation in him. When he least expects it, I observe the small details about him: the way his eyes would shift from my eyes to my lips and down to my neck; the way his sentences stagger every time he wants to ask about Luca and our relationship in the past. But most of all, I noticed how he would hold my gaze, and we will say no words but understand what the other is trying to send. Daehyun gazes at me with longing. I can't tell which kind, but I do know it's more than just wanting my blood.

  Daehyun.

  No matter what I do, he will remain a mystery to me.


  When I reach the dining room, Zelo is there, conversing with Daehyun. Daehyun's eyes are wide and he utters, "Tonight?"

  Zelo nods. "They're already here."

  Daehyun spots me. He looks dead in my eyes. His expression is serious compared to this morning. Placing his hands on top of the table, he pushes himself off and glances at Zelo, then to me. His eyes are sadder now. "Seems like I won't be seeing you for a while Tonight."

  "What do you mean?"

  Again, his attentions shifts from Zelo to me. "We were just informed that Jongup woke up earlier this Morning. Apparently, he was questioned."

  The blood in my veins drin from me and I find myself holding my breath. Please, please tell me that he's innocent and he will be released from the hospital when he gets better. That's all I'm asking for. I can't afford losing a friend over something so trivial.

  Daehyun's voice is still stern. "The good thing is his story matches what eye-witnesses are saying. He's not the one who planted the bombs, but he did give the attackers access to the vaults. I don't know the full story, but that's all that was released to me. Ah, he will be released within a week, but I can't guarantee him a job at the Bank. I would like to help him, but I don't know if Father will understand."

  I take a deep breath. Just knowing that Jongup is okay is good enough for me. "Then, can you take him in like you did with me?"

  He drops his gaze. "I'm afraid I cannot. I have caused enough trouble in the Jung family by taking you in as my Doll but not mark you. Then, our Bank was blown up. People are starting to think that we're being attacked as a punishment for not complying to our vampire rules."

  "What do you mean?"

  Even Zelo is confused by this.

  Daehyun returns the puzzling look. "It's an unspoke rule. I'm sure you are aware of it. It's just something that comes natural so we don't notice it unless someone points it out. Others are starting to notice that I'm being friendly with humans, and many disagree with that. They believe that humans should be put into place - just below us on the food chain. It's only natural, but then there's a few of us who could co-exist. It's a strange concept, but you understand what I mean, yes?"

  "Yes." Humans and vampires are never meant to mix. "That doesn't mean they should target innocent bystanders just to get to you."

  "You're correct, but sometimes the worse torture isn't inflicted towards yourself, but the things you care about. I could be wrong about this notion, but so far that's all I can think of. Maybe you can shed some light when you come back from your visit with Jongup."

  My eyes widen. I can visit Jongup? "Wait, I can visit him?"

  Daehyun and Zelo nods.

  "He's been transported to a local human hospital in this area," Daehyun explains. "Which is why Zelo is here right now. He came to inform me about it. I am not allowed to go as it is only for humans, but since Jongup is closer to where we are, I'm letting you go. There's already guards outside to you. I would like Zelo to come with you, but apparently, they only want you, Jae."

  I confirm it with Zelo by waiting for his approving nod. Once that's confirmed, I say, "That's fine." I want to clear things up with him, and the only way to do so, I have to do it one-on-one. My stomach growls. "Let me eat first and then I'll be on my way." I make my way to my seat and sit.

  Daehyun chuckles and turns to Zelo. "Can you check to see if L is done? My little Princess is hungry."

  Princess?

  Zelo doesn't seem to put much thought into that and silently heads to the kitchen.

  When he was gone, I glare at Daehyun. "What the hell, Daehyun. Princess?"

  He shrugs his shoulders. "I found it suiting."

  "What? How?"

  He chuckles. "Because I promise to give you a happy ending."

  I cringe. "You really need to stop reading corny romance books. They're shed a few brain cells."


  Just like Daehyun's carriage, the car I was transported into had stained windows, not allowing me to see what's on the outside. Based on how my body sways, I can tell we're going at a decent speed with many twists a turns. From the front, there's a stained window, separating me from the two guards escorting me. I feel like I'm in a box, but at least I'm in something that's part of my time period. Daehyun and the rest of the vampires truly enjoy being old-schooled.

  I don't know how long it takes us, but by the time the car stops and the door opens, I'm immediately led inside to the fifth floor. Doctors, nurses, and patients swarm the area. I find myself feeling a little uncomfortable as everyone I pass by glances at me, curious to know why someone as healthy as me is entering the Hospital. Normally, they do not allow guests as everyone here is a criminal. The staff takes extra precaution to make sure none of the patients are in danger. You never know if there's someone out there for revenge.

  We stop in front of room 509. The door is shut. I lightly knock at the door and say, "Hey, Jongup. It's me, Youngjae. I'm coming in." I step inside to see Jongup sitting up on the bed, staring out at the window, viewing the fake image of the ocean.

  "You know, this is actually quite soothing. At least I can definitely say that this view is a 100% better than the one I have at home. Sure, it's fake, but I get a nice view, and I can change it." Jongup reaches next to him to find the remote where he changing the view to a tropical jungle to an empty meadow with the sun up high with a clear sky. Oh, how I missed being in the outside world.

  From this moment, it appears that Jongup has not been injured. However, as he shifts to his side to view me, his movements are slow and his face contorts. "Well, aren't you living the life," I tease, "You literally miss work to lay all day in bed. That must be really nice."

  "At first, but now I'm really bored and it's only been a few hours since I arrived here. At least in the other hospital, I could go in and out of the room." His voice trails and his eyes gaze out the window.

  There's a long silence between us. I want to ask him what happened, but I find it inappropriate. What if he's not ready to talk about it? What if he wants to forget all that happened? 

  "I can't exactly remember everything that happened that Night," Jongup states. "I just remember being approached by someone with these dark eyes." He shivers. His eyes widen and his face is drained of color. "There was something strange about him. He was so calm, but emitted so much threat with that gaze. I could tell he was no normal vampire."

  Only one vampire comes into my mind. "Is that all you can remember about him?"

  Jongup's face contorts as he recalls the memory. I hate to do this to him, but if it truly is the person I'm thinking of, it may be a reason why the Jung's bank was targeted and the reason Yongguk was brought here. To my dismay, Jongup shakes his head. "No. His face is a blur. His pheromones, however, were strange. They're not like all the other pheromones I've felt. It was hostile, but what was strange is no one else could feel it around me. It was as if he was controlling me. I just remember seeing his eyes and how they glowed red before my vision turned dark. The next thing I knew, I was laying in the hospital. I really didn't know what happened until the guards told me. Sorry, it's all a mess in my head right now."

  "No, it's fine." Strange. When I felt Himchan's pheromones, they were definitely felt by other people, and certainly, no vampire can control a human without them being aware of it. Just who exactly started this? "Anyways, I'm sure you're tired of talking all about this. Did you hear anything interesting while staying here?"

  Jongup chuckles and rolls his eyes. "Are you ready for the daily gossip."

  "Always."

  "Well, let's just say you get really bored staying here and will talk to anyone you come into contact with. I managed to talk to some of the nurses and they really like to complain about their co-workers."

  "You must get along with them well," I tease.

  "Whatever."

  I laugh. I'm truly thankful that Jongup is okay. And at least I know he didn't do any of this on purpose. What I don't understand is who's the one behind all this? What happened to the blue-haired vampire? What did he mean by his words? There are so many questions that are left unanswered and they may be for a long time.


  Returning from the hospital, I'm once again trasported by the same car. Immediately, I'm greeted with Zelo opening the door and saying that Daehyun returned from the Bank and wants me to visit him in the library. I don't hesitate and make my way through the hall. I knock lightly before swinging the door open to see Daehyun sitting on that same couch with a book in his lap. This time, he doesn't have a picture book, but an actual novel.

  "What are you reading?" I ask as I sit next to him.

  Daehyun shuts the book. "Just something I picked up from the shelves." He leans over and rests his head on my shoulder. Slowly, his eyes close and for a moment, he has that peaceful expression on his face before scowling.

  "What's wrong?" I want to touch him. I want to run my fingers through his hair, but I refrain from doing so. You would think I would get used to these gestures, but by heart beats uncontrollably from the close proximity. There's just something about his touch that makes me all bubbly inside.

  Daehyun moves closer, causing our thighs to touch. He turns his head and nuzzles his nose against the crook of my neck. I can hear him taking a deep breath and feeling him breathe. "I'm just tired. Father wanted me to do so much at the Bank to make sure everything is in order. How was your meeting with Jongup?"

  "It was good. He seems to be getting better." Afterall, he still has the energy to tell me a lot of drama that goes around in the hospital.

  "I'm glad. I'm sure you were very worried about him." He takes another deep breath. "You smell good."

  I blush. It's obvious that he's not talking about a fragrance because I don't wear those kind of things, but he was indicating my blood. Being so close to me, I know that's all he can smell. My hand reaches out, but I hesitate and let my hand hover over the back of his head.

  He looks up at me with those brown eyes and grins. "Is it okay if we stay like this for a little longer?"

  As gaze upon his eyes, there's an innocent glint within him. With all the scars and with all the pain, he can still have that same childish look. I know that is not the case for me. I've been tainted for way too long. My scars are much different from his. My hands are stained with blood - the blood of his kind. I know there is no redemption for me, but for him, he still hasn't done anything that could scar him for life. I want to protect that. I want to protect those childish thoughts he still keeps. But in this world we live in, there will become a time where I will not be able to hide him from all the ugliness in the outside world.

  This time, I rest my hand on his back and rub him in circles. "Yeah, we can stay like this for a while longer."


Author's Note:

  Hello, hello! Honestly, this is a new chapter from my original drafts. I felt like this was needed because I didn't give an explanation for Jongup's actions when I first wrote this story. Well, next chapter will be super long for you readers! Thank you for sticking with me! (Also, we're getting closer to the end).

With Love,

                LokiCraze123