No Means No?

Imprisoned

  I toss and turn in my sleep. An all too familiar scent of peppermint fills my nostrils, but the eyes I see are not Jung Daehyun’s. They're much softer and the shade of emeralds. I can feel gentle lips kissing my forehead and a warmth spreads around my body as I'm held in an embrace. I miss him, but I may not see him ever again after what I did. Not after he learned the truth about me.

  My eyes flutter open and I sit up. I live in a small cottage just like every human, except slaves and those who live in the slums. Here, I don't have the luxury of staying in a mansion, but I also don't live in a single home with five other people. Here, I live alone in a single house with a small kitchen connected to a tiny dining area where my bed is set next to it. The bathroom is in a separate room where there's a closet for clothes. The only window I have is right above my bed to help me easily check if it's Day or Night.

  I open my window to see Night has fallen, and I get ready for work. As I'm getting ready, all I can remember is last night’s events. A shiver runs down my spine as I can feel Daehyun’s hostile pheromones and see his dark eyes turn a deep red. I've felt plenty of murderous pheromones, but there was a hint of something else. I just can't place my finger on it.

  Another thought crosses my mind. Daehyun’s handkerchief did not have the pattern of their family emblem. It may still have been dark, but I clearly saw a rose, not a phoenix, sewn into the material.

  My breakfast is just the usual toast and fresh milk from my neighbor to my left and strawberry jam from my neighbor to my right. After all that, I head out, cautious of where I'm going. There's no way am I going to meet those two colored-haired vampires alone ever again.

  The bank is empty except for the manager and all the other bank tellers. I find Jongup heading towards the back to check up on the stocks he was assigned to. I grab my paperwork from my desk and follow him. I quickly count my stocks and find my numbers match from last night. “Good morning.” I greet as Jongup is about to walk pass me.

  “Good morning.” He pauses. “How did yesterday go? I'm sorry for telling him your name.”

  “No it's fine.” I am a bit mad about that, but I know he can't help it if someone releases a pheromone like Jung Daehyun’s. “Honestly, it didn't go as bad as I would have expected. I mean, I'm still here, right?”

  “He didn't do anything to you, did he?”

  “No. Not really.” There's no way I am going to tell him everything that happened last night. Even I just want to forget everything about it.

  Jongup heaves a sigh of relief and grins. “Good because I was worried last night since you had to go visit him alone.”

  “You don't have to worry about me. I'm pretty tough.” I beat my chest with one hand and give him a reassuring smile. “I won't let anyone, even Jung Daehyun, to bring me down.”

  As if on cue, I find him entering the bank while we make it to our stations. He seems to be carrying a large suitcase.

  What the hell is he doing here right now? He looks at me but doesn't come towards me. Instead, he walks straight to the manager’s office without a word.

  “I wonder why he's here again,” Jongup states as if he read my mind.

  I want to know why, too. Shrugging my shoulders, I continue on with my usual morning routine and settle myself at my station. “I don't know, but it looks like he has some business with our manager. I wouldn't think too much about it since he is supposed to take more responsibility now that his father is passing his business down to him.”

  “Right. But don't you think it's strange that he's coming so early when he came here yesterday? We won't have any new reports unless something happened during the Day while we were sleeping.”

  “It's a possibility,” I indicate. After all, we do have criminals here. There are a few cases where humans attack vampires or try to steal something from shops, but because the main predators roam the Dome, many of us criminals try to comply that way we can get out of this hell hole as soon as possible. “But then, if it did happen during the day, then it would be a human’s doing. What would a human do with blood anyways?”

  “Maybe it's for his or her master?” Jongup suggests.

  Our conversation usually goes on like this when we don't have customers. We make up scenarios and think of all the results and consequences of such scenario. It's interesting and it makes the Night go by quicker.

  As we change to another topic, I find Daehyun leaving the office with a huge grin on his face. The suitcase he was carrying is no longer there with him. I wonder what they talked about behind those closed doors. I watch him as he leaves and feel a bit unsettled.

  “That was quick,” Jongup says.

  “Yeah, that was.” I continue to stare at the manager’s door. I really want to ask him what Daehyun told him, but I refrain as the bank opens and customers begin to file in.


  As usual, I take care of the customers Jongup can't handle while I direct ones that he can handle towards him. I also try to help him if he gets a bit queasy and needs a break from all the pheromones.

  The manager paces around the bank to make sure everything is stable. But throughout that time, he doesn't stop to make casual conversations as vampires continually flow in and out of the bank. The best time to speak to him will be near closing time, and I hope I will get a chance to talk to him by then. I want to make sure Daehyun didn't speak about me and put a bad impression to my manager. My manager knows me well, but that doesn't mean he can be easily persuaded by Daehyun’s words.

  “Do we know anything about Jung Daehyun?” I ask Jongup during our lunch break. I take a bite of this pathetic sandwich of only a slice of cheese, a slice of meat of your choice, and a piece of lettuce they give every worker as a reward for working. “Anything other than him inheriting this place despite being the youngest brother.”

  “They say Daehyun is the favorite son because he was born from his father while his siblings were born from another man. They also say before he was chosen, he usually confines himself in his mansion where women would usually be sent in. We don't know what he does with them, but we think he uses them for personal reasons. Before he lets them go, they swear not to tell anyone what goes on inside or else there could be dangerous consequences.”

  “Consequences? But I thought if vampires harm humans, they would get punished.”

  “Yeah, but I guess there are ways to get around that like hiring someone else to do the dirty work.”

  I don't believe it. Maybe he just threatened them by using his pheromones and controlled them to not leak information. That's one way pheromones work. I finish my sandwich and stand up. Wiping the crumbs off my face, I tell Jongup, “Normally I hate gossip, but at least I got a glimpse of what Daehyun is like during his private time.” He wants me as his Doll, but I will not be able to stand his behavior if he ever brings women for his own pleasure. At least, this gives me one good reason not to become his Doll.

  I'm about to leave the break room to head towards my station, but I find my manager standing by the doorway and calling me over. I give Jongup a glance in which I'm returned with a worried look. What now? I walk towards my manager and is about to explain what happened yesterday during my meeting with Jung Daehyun, but he beats me to it.

  “Young Master Jung wants to see you in his office now.”

  “Now?”

  He simply nods his head.

  Now out of all times? Why can't he just speak to me when I'm off work or something? “But what about my station? My break time is over.”

  My manager brushes that off. “He wants to see you now. 6245 will be able to cover you while you're gone.”

  I glance at Jongup. Will he really be okay? I can't object and head straight to Jung Daehyun’s office.


  Once again, I didn't have to ring the bell as Zelo opens the door and greets me once more with a bow. “Good evening, sir.”

  “Good evening.” I return the bow. No matter how many times I go here, I'm amazed at how beautiful this building is.

  Zelo leads me to the same room as last night, but this time he doesn't step inside. He opens the door and gestures me to walk in.

  I do so and find Jung Daehyun sitting there with his elbows on the desk with his fingers entwined as he wears these same gloves. A huge smirk is plastered on his face. “Welcome back.”

  “What do you want?” I shoot back while crossing my arms over my chest, getting straight to the point. “You're taking precious work time from me.” Not only does working gives you a chance of living, but it also takes me away from here.

  “Have you forgotten? You shouldn't be talking to me like that.”

  I sigh through my nostrils. “I told you no means no. I don't want to become your Doll and be your personal blood source. And I especially don't want to see you bringing women in for your own pleasure."

  I don't know why, but I think I saw him wince at my words. As he smirks, that idea goes away. “So you have heard rumors of me bringing women to my mansion. It isn't what you think.”

  “Then what is it?”

  “You will find out once you become my Doll.”

  I groan in frustration and throw my hands in the air. What is with this guy, really? Does he find joy in making me act this way? I'm usually calm and collected, but with him, my emotions go flying. I didn't even say a word and walk towards the door.

  "Where do you think you're going?" His deep, rough voice calls out from behind me. I turn my head to see him still sitting behind his desk with a playful smirk on his lips.

  "Away from you!" I exclaim. There's no way this guy can keep me here. I don't care if he offers me money or food; I'm still stuck in this prison where there's blood-thirsty monsters staring at my throat everywhere I go. If it weren't for the Bank, then who knows how many people would get slaughtered on their first day here.

  I didn't wait another second and make my way to the door. No. There's no way I'm staying with someone like him. I won't accept it!

  I manage to grab the handle until his hand slams against the door right next to my head. I didn't even hear him get up. How did he get to me so quickly? I'm frozen on the spot as I realize how quickly vampire’s reactions are.

  "Are you sure you still want to go out there after last night?" He whispers in my ear, sending chills down my spine. One of his hand is still against the door as the other brushes against my neck. "There are still many vampires who don't comply to the rules, and I won't always be there to protect you. Do you really wish to have your blood from you?" He grabs my shoulder and spins me around. His dark eyes gaze deep into mine. "If you so refuse tonight, I will not stop until I have you, got it?"

  My legs feel weak and my hands start to tremble. Just looking into his eyes give me chills. I can't seem to form any words and I'm glued to the spot. I look to the side to avoid his gaze and bite my lip. What should I do? I don't want to be imprisoned by this monster.

  He laughs at me.

  He laughs hysterically and backs away. “You should have seen the look on your face. It was priceless.”

  I want to punch him in the face, but I restrain myself by balling up my fist and clenching my teeth. How dare he make a fool out of me! I want to yell at him, kick at him, punch at him. Anything. Anything to calm my nerves. Of course, I don’t do it as I need to respect the owner’s son. But then he says something that really bursts my bubble.

  “I asked your manager to hand you to me tomorrow. I told him that you're quitting so you can stay with me and become my personal slave. I will say he refused at first, but I gave him enough blood as compensation.”

  I don't know what to say. I'm in shock, and at the same time, I'm angry. My blood boils. Who said he could do that? I told him that I didn't want to be his Doll and here he is telling me that I will quit my job as a banker? “What the hell? Who says you can control my life? I decided to work as a banker so I can live a somewhat normal life inside this Dome. I listened to every order I was given and did my best to help my friend when he's in trouble. And then here you come, ruining that. I told you, I'm not going to become your Doll!”

  He slams his hands on my shoulder and pushes me against the door. He releases his strong pheromones as his eyes glow red and his face turns a similar shade. His breathing is uneven and his grip tightens.

  I whimper in pain, but I hold my ground. I'm not giving in. However, the longer I am in this state, the more I can feel myself getting weak. Who is this man standing before me? Why do I feel a little bit of pity when he releases his pheromones like this? I don't know why, but my body acts on its own as it fights the pheromones. My shaking hand reaches out to touch his face and as my fingers brush against his cheek, I now know what that strange feeling I get every time this happens: loneliness.

 “I'm not afraid of you,” I mutter and gaze into his eyes.

  Slowly, his pheromones dissipates and his eyes return to it's normal dark shade. He releases me and takes a few steps back before falling on his knees. His body is trembling and he hugs himself as tears flow down his cheeks.

  I'm thrown off guard by this sudden change of emotion. Is that tough demeanor of his just a façade? “Dae-”

  “Young Master Jung!” Zelo bursts in through the doors and falls to the ground next to him. The boy grabs Daehyun’s gloved hand and begins singing a tune while rubbing the back of his hand. His voice wasn't that great, but it soothes the Young Master.

Hush now and listen to my voice

The monsters are gone

They have fallen asleep

As the rest of the world awakens at dawn

 

Hush now and close your eyes

No one will hurt you

Not even the nightmares

For I will not let them break through

 

Hush now and feel me near

I am here

I will not leave you 

I will make sure those monsters disappear

  When the song ends and the trembling finally stops, Daehyun gets up with his head bowed low. “I'm still not going to give up on you. I won't.” He raises his head and I feel a pang of guilt. There's so many sides of Jung Daehyun that I don't know about, and it makes me a little curious.

  “You're free to go. I'll have Zelo lead you out.” Daehyun brushes pass me like a ghost and turns a corner.

  Zelo doesn't wait and leads me down the corridor. This time, he isn't quiet like usual, “Young Master isn't a bad guy, you know. He's actually kind to his servants.”

  “I would like to believe that.” It's hard to believe after all the things I've seen. And it's only been two days!

  He stops in the middle of the stairs and spins around. Even though he's a couple of steps below me, he nearly reaches eye level with me. His gaze doesn't falter. “I think the reason he's so attached to you is because you're able to withstand his pheromones unlike the other Dolls he's had before.”

  “Then he shouldn't be flashing his pheromones like that. It's his fault for-” I stop as Zelo glares at me. “What do you see in him?” Because clearly, I don't have a good impression on him.

  “He's not like any other vampires I know. Being the youngest, he didn't have the most stable lifestyle, and now that his father announced his inheritance, the pressure is high. He needs someone who can calm him because I can't do it if he releases his pheromones like that. Please, I beg you to consider being his Doll. Actually, I don't think you even have to be his Doll. You just need to stay with him when he has these attacks like that again.”

  “I-I don’t know.” I choke on my words. Everything is happening too quickly. It's hard to grasp the situation, and I don't want to leave the life I created and the friend I made just for one person. However, seeing Daehyun like this worries me. His temper can harm himself and the people around him. “I'll think about it.”

  Zelo does a single nod and continues his way down the stairs. As he leads me out, he repeats, “Please, consider his offer.” At those words, he shuts the door in front of me.

  I return to the bank. My mind is running with jumbled thoughts as I conflict with myself. I honestly did not want to be Daehyun’s Doll, but seeing him act the way he did, I can't seem to bring myself to make a decision.

  “Is there something wrong?” I hear Jongup ask as I settle at my station.

  I shake my head. I don’t want him to get involved in this situation. “It’s nothing. He just wanted to talk to me, that’s all.”

  Jongup doesn’t say anything.

  I continue on with my work. It’s a little hard to concentrate as Zelo’s words run through my mind. I don’t know what to do.

  “Hey, banker. I’m talking to you,” a customer snaps her fingers at me, trying to get my attention. She’s holding onto a blood bag while her slave stands shyly behind her. His cheeks are sunken in and his eyes are empty. Here, even though we’re criminals, we equally end up being a blood source.

  I stare at him and wonder will I look like that if I become Daehyun’s Doll? But then, Zelo did say he’s not like other vampires. I don’t know if I can trust that. “I’m sorry, miss. Can you please tell me your name?” I listen to her and proceed with the transaction.

  As she leaves, her slave follows suit and gives me a glance. In that moment, there was a glint of jealousy and hatred towards me. Anyone would prefer working as a banker or farmer or anything rather than becoming a slave.

  “Are you sure nothing happened?” Jongup asks again.

  I brush him off. “I’m fine.” I need to figure all this by myself that way I don’t have to worry about him getting hurt due to my actions.

  He’s silent.

  I heave a sigh. “I promise you that there’s nothing wrong. I just have a lot on my mind because… because I had a weird dream, and it reminded me of my past. That’s all.”

  “I see, but you do know I’m here if you need help. Don’t be afraid to tell me. Promise?”

  “I promise.” I felt myself choking on those words and try my best to act normal. By tomorrow, I will need to have my answer, and no matter what I choose, I know my life will change.


Author's Note:

Hello again! Yes, I have another update and it's longer than the usual mainly because I like writing longer chapters. But also because I really enjoy writing this story, and I promise you there will be some fluffy moments within this angsty story. I will also promise you I will complete this no matter how long it takes because I have the whole story in my head. I just need to put it into words.

Also, I'm not a song writer so please don't judge me too much haha.

*Ok, this has nothing to do with the story, so you may skip this paragraph if you want. I've been on this website for 6 years now and I'm having a rollercoaster of emotions, mainly because I remember my passion for writing when I first started out. I glanced at all my stories and just get a warm, bubbly feeling. Even though there were so many grammar mistakes and just weird, childish scenes, I noticed how much I've grown and how many people supported me throughout those stories. (I also apologize for not completing some of them). If you're a returning reader from my baby years, then you may have noticed I took nearly a 3 or 4 year hiatus because I had writer's block and college took over my life. You may have also noticed that my stories were definitely not up to par with other amazing writers, but I digress. For all you writers out there, you DO NOT have to be the featured author or the best writer out there. There will be someone who will love your stories and will be a loyal reader to you, so do not worry when you only have that single commenter or 15 subscribers because they WILL stick with you until the end. But also don't forget to accept constructive criticism. That will help you grow and become a writer that you want to be. These constructive criticisms definitely shaped me even though I do get a little hurt by them, but they mean well. Sorry, I just had to let this out because I'm getting hit by feels while exploring this website.

Let me know what you guys think about the story! And thank you for reading!

With Love,

            LokiCraze123