Darkness Falls

Imprisoned

  The needle pierces the vein on my arm and I watch as the blood enters my body while another tube causes my blood to leave. I can feel myself grow cold and lightheaded. This procedure is dangerous, but it didn't matter. I did this to myself, knowing the outcome. No matter what happens there will always be two results.

  It takes so long until the procedure is finished. My body is cold. We wait and wait and wait. My body doesn't react until I feel like something bursts within me. I begin shaking erratically over the chair and my eyes roll to the back of my head. Foam forms on the corner of my mouth. People in lab coats surround me, holding me back. I can hear a voice yelling, “He's going into shock!”

  All at once, everything turns dark.


  When I open my eyes, I'm in complete darkness. Normally, I will be able to see the Moon or the Sun through the crack in the curtains, but this is different. It is eerily dark as if all the lights shut out. Suddenly, I hear screams coming from outside and the sound of hissing. I get up from my bed, struggling to make my way around to the window, and pull the curtains to see nothing, not even the Moon or Stars. What is going on? Is this still a dream?

  I get my answers when Zelo bursts through the door with a candle. He's sweating and breathing hard. There's clear terror in his face and his voice is shaking. “The Dome. It's gone completely dark. Someone or something shut off all the power. People are being murdered outside!”

  “What?” I can't comprehend anything that Zelo is saying as my mind is running in circles. Just what did he mean by that? What is going on? Where is Daehyun? “What do you mean?”

  He runs up to me and grabs my hand, pulling me out the room. “I don’t know what’s going on either, but everything was fine when I woke up. Young Master came downstairs, drank, and left to go to the Bank. Everyone was doing their normal activities until the power shut off. At first, I thought it was just the mansion, but when I looked out the window, it was pitch black. Then I heard the screams.” He shivers. “Youngjae, I think the Dome is being attacked.”

  I freeze. The Dome is being attacked? Wait, this doesn’t make sense. This was supposed to be a controlled environment, granted that there have been attacks recently, but they were always taken care of. I know I should be worried about myself and everyone else right now, but my mind is constantly returning to one person. “So Daehyun is at the Bank?”

  Zelo nods. He tugs me further out the door. “Yes, we have to get somewhere safe. L and the rest are hiding underground that Young Master had built for emergencies. We must get there before-”

  Just then, we hear a loud thud from within the foyer. More and more thuds resound until something cracks and falls to the ground. The hisses echoes throughout the mansion. Someone shouts orders, and as that person speaks, I clearly recognize the voice. It’s Kim Himchan. “Search the whole place. I’m sure he’s still here.”

  Zelo’s grip on my hand tightens. “They’re inside. We have to hide.” He pulls me the other way.

  "Wait," I call out as softly as I could before rushing back to my room. The candles in the hallway lights my room dimly. I rummage through my drawers and pull out the handkerchief that Daehyun gave to me. I can't leave without this, not when I don't know if I'll ever see him again. I take a deep breath and engulf the peppermint scent. It's as if he's still here with me.

  I meet Zelo out the door and motion him that we can go. 

  “I can smell you, Doll!” Himchan’s voice booms. “You can’t hide from me!”

  “Hurry!”

  We run. No, in fact, we sprint. I can tell Zelo isn’t the athletic type as his breathing becomes uneven quite quickly, but his long legs make up for it. A heavy feeling weighs down on me. I hope Daehyun is safe. I mean, he is a vampire, but where is he now? Is he safe? Is he trying to find me? Is he stuck in the bank? All these thoughts are interrupted when we make a hard turn and into a room.

  Zelo relights the candle he's holding, peeks through the curtains, and backs up. “There’s no one else outside. They must’ve moved.” He rummages around in the room, searching for something to protect us with. “We can’t just stay here like sitting ducks! We have to do something!” His voice is in panic and his hands are shaking. I have never seen him like this, but then again, even I’m afraid of what’s coming. I’m just able to hold it in as it was my duty to do so when I was a vampire hunter.

  “I hope Jongup is okay,” I mutter. Jongup recently returned to the Bank a few days ago. I managed to visit him with Daehyun and Zelo and he was still pretty shaken from the events, but said that he’ll be fine with time. Then now, this is happening. He must be terrified.

  Zelo’s eyes soften. Last time we went, Jongup and Zelo talked more than usual while I stood there, listening to them. If they didn’t meet in these circumstances, I’m sure they would make great friends. “I hope he’ll be okay, too. Right now, we have to take care of ourselves. Whoever is coming is obviously coming for you. I don’t know why, but we can’t let him have you.”

  Even I didn’t understand why Himchan wanted me. Zelo’s right. We have to figure a way out or find something that can protect us. There are none as this room is completely empty except for a bed and a window. I look through the curtains. Nothing. There’s no indication if there’s life underneath or if there’s something that will be able to cushion our fall if we ever decide to drop down.

  As we struggle to find something, someone raps on the door, pausing us from our tracks. Zelo’s face gets pale while I in a breath.

  “I know you’re in there, Doll. And you also have someone else with you. My, Daehyun sure knows how to choose people with such a delectable scent.” The knob twists and the door slowly opens, revealing red eyes and emitting pheromones with such bloodlust.

  Zelo backs up and I step up in front of him. It’s dark, but my eyes are slowly adjusting. Himchan's eyes aren’t the only thing that is red. Dark spots are all along his shirt and the corner of his lips have dry blood. I stand my ground as he steps towards us with slow strides and fangs showing. My knees are shaking, but I try not to show it. I cannot show weakness now.

  “What do you want?” I question, my voice firm.

  Himchan smirks. “It’s time for the fall of humans and the rise of vampires,” he utters as he raises his hands as if preaching. The glow in his eyes intensifies. “We will take control of this island that was rightfully ours, and after we do so, we will spread throughout the world, returning everything to its old ways. You humans do not deserve to live after locking us up here for thousands of years. Soon, you will understand what it feels like to be imprisoned.”

  I glare. “And you’re doing this by killing these people?” I spat, indicating the blood on his clothes.

  He laughs hysterically. His head hangs back and his mouth is wide. “Are you really angry about that? Have you forgotten that every human here are criminals? Yes, they all may not have committed the worse crimes, but wouldn’t it be better to have a life with less crime? All of us are doing you humans a favor by getting rid of all the parasites. You should be happy.”

  The more he talks, the more I want to punch that pretty face of his. My fists clench and I continue to glare. “You’re a monster.”

  “Says someone who’s killed our kind before.”

  My eyes widen. How did he know that?

  Again, he laughs. “You truly are naïve. Did you actually think I didn’t know? I knew all along ever since Yongguk entered this Dome and became my Doll. Both of your scents are different. You both reeked of vampire blood, but you - you specifically have special blood in you, don’t you?” Suddenly, Himchan’s face is right in front of mine. “You’re very different.” He opens his mouth wide as his fangs grow. I don’t have time to react.

  A bright light flashes from outside.

  Himchan hisses and covers himself with his arms. He screams in pain and backs up before hitting the door.

  The light continues to flash, blinding even me.

  From outside, I hear a familiar deep voice from below, screaming, “Jump!”

  I didn’t hesitate and kick at the glass window. It shatters into pieces, falling below. I grab Zelo’s arm and jump. From the ground, we are cushioned by a bed, probably from one of the other houses. How we managed to land right on top of it is a mystery to me, but that didn’t matter. All I want to do is get away from here.

 I nearly gag as the smell of blood is prominent outside. This is like the Blood Moon all over again, but worse. This time, people are dying.

  “Let’s go,” Yongguk motions me over. There are a few more familiar faces but they are all occupied with pointing their strange light device at vampires coming their way.

  I make sure Zelo is with me before trailing behind Yongguk. My eyes raise up to the Sky. It’s pitch black. There’s not even any sign of the pixelated sky being on. “What’s happening?” I ask in between gulps of air.

  “Darkness has fallen.” He curses under his breath and bites the end of his thumb. “I should have known. I should have known Himchan was behind all this. He kept redirecting me by thinking he’s talking about his perfume business. .”

  I glance behind. Zelo is still silent, except for his uneven breathing. At least he’s catching up.

  “What do you mean, Yongguk?”

  “Keep running! We’re almost there!” He shouts at the group. Then to me, “The vampires have revolted. A revolution between mankind and vampires will soon begin on this island. If we don’t do anything now, then they will attack the rest of the world. Naeun, I need you to contact headquarters and tell them they must quarantine the area and not let any ships enter or leave this place. Hopefully, the guards had already informed everyone back at home, but we need to take precautions. Chanyeol, has Division 3 taken care of the remaining boats yet?”

  A tall man jogs up to us. “Yes, but I believe there are still five more boats to take care of.”

  “Damn. We need to be quick.”

  “Is the place still in lockdown, Jongdae?”

  Someone from the back yells, “Yes, but I’m on it!”

  What is going on? “Yongguk!” I shout, getting his attention.

  He glances at me with soft eyes. “Sorry, Youngjae, but I don’t have time to explain everything. Once we get to the outside and once everything is settled, I will tell you everything. For now, just continue running.”

  “But what about everyone else? There’s still people at Daehyun’s mansion! And Himchan is still there.”

  “We’re taking care of it.” His voice is harsh, indicating that he has it covered.

  I say no more and continue running behind him with Zelo beside me. My mind wanders from the people left in the mansion to Jongup to Daehyun.

  Daehyun.

  Where are you?

  I hope you’re okay.

  I can feel tears wanting to force its way out of my eyes, but I try not to cry. I can’t. All I can do now is hope he is safe.