The Journal

Imprisoned

  I never forget about the journal, but every time I pick it up from the library, I always return it. Something in the back of my mind continually pokes at me, reminding me of my morals. However, that journal holds secrets that I want to understand. There has to be a reason why Daehyun's uncle left. I need to know.

  Daehyun goes to the bank to check its progress. Ever since the bombing, the influx of blood decreased as more of the vampires went to other banks while the Jung’s was in repair. His father handled the situation well and managed to get the business starting again with the same workers and a few new ones. This time, Zelo goes with him because, and I quote from Daehyun, “I trust you won’t run away.”

  It just makes my eyes roll when I think about it.

  I don't know what the blue haired vampire was talking about when something bigger was coming. I suspect there will be more occurrences such as what happened to the Bank. However, I don't understand what their motive is. Why would they be destroying things that are owned by vampires? What bothers me the most, however, is who was the vampire that controlled Jongup? It's just strange because the pheromones only affected Jongup and no one else.

  I make my way to the library, passing by Daehyun’s workers and greeting them each time. As I enter the room, I head to the shelf where the journal is kept. Tonight I will read its contents. This time, I will not put it back with guilt. I need to know what happened. Only then will I understand more about Daehyun's past.

  I pick up the journal and see the alias that his uncle used to hide the fact that this is his. I sit on the couch and make myself comfy. Running my fingers at the edge of the book, I flip to the first page, seeing that it dates nearly a hundred years ago. Reading the first few lines, it basically explains that he received this journal from a friend and will write from then on. He then goes on about the war and how many of the vampires ended up in the Dome while others are still in the outside world. He even talks about living with the Jungs since he had no other family left. They were all killed from the war. I skip pages and find myself at a journal entry with a red, silk ribbon in between the pages. I pick it up and begin reading.

30 June xx93

  Mr. Jung and I came home after our meeting pertaining to the stocks at the Bank. What was waiting for us came with a big surprise. At Mr. Jung’s front door lay a baby in a basket, wrapped up in white sheets. He was asleep, unaware of our presence. On top, there was a note in which Mr. Jung picked up, but did not read out loud. He looked at the baby, then to the note before dropping it, stepping over the basket, and walking inside.

  I didn't understand what made him so troubled. When I picked up the note, I knew immediately who this child was. As I gazed at the child below, he had the same nose and lips as his father. I'm sure when he opens his eyes, he would have the same eyes as his mother and possibly when his hair grows, it will be a mixture of both.

  I take the child inside, waking him up. He does not cry, but his eyes look into mine. He raises a hand and I find a ribbon tied to his wrist, in which I will be placing in this journal.

  As I enter Mr. Jung’s house, all I hear is yelling coming from Mr. Jung and his wife. The children are all at the stairs, listening. They were arguing about the child brought by that woman. The eldest spotted me and asked if this was the baby they were talking about.

  I didn't answer. This baby shouldn't hear any of this even though he wouldn't understand any of it. He could still feel it.

  I brought him to where I stay and picked him up. So this was what carrying a baby was like, I thought to myself. He was so fragile and small, it felt like he could break any moment.

  It still amazes me how, despite being in the arms of an unknown man, he remained quiet. Right now, I'm letting him stay in my room while Mr. Jung is deciding what to do with him. He hasn’t even chosen a name for him, but if I were his father, I would name him Daehyun.

  Yes. Daehyun is the perfect name for him.

  I hope Mr. Jung will have mercy. After all, he is his son. If he decides to abandon him, I will adopt him myself.

  I observe the ribbon. So this is the ribbon that Daehyun wore when he first arrived here. Based on how Daehyun is still here, his father must be taken him in. I place the ribbon back and flip a page.

02 July xx93

  We are still searching for the mother, but she has disappeared. Mr. Jung agreed to take Daehyun in and even approved of the name. I don't know what came over him, but he even made this baby his heir to the Bank. It worries me because none of his siblings will approve of this. After all, he is a bastard son of a woman whom Mr. Jung had an affair with.

  Over all, Daehyun is quite healthy and drinks normally. His body is quickly adjusting and he will become strong just like his father. The more I look at him, the more he resembles his father rather than his unknown mother. His eyes are a deep brown just like his father’s. His facial structure is possibly like his mother, but everything else screams Jung. If I didn't know better, I would've suspected this child came from his wife.

  But that is not the case. The other children are bitter towards Daehyun. They do not accept him. They pretend to play with him, but when you turn your back, they start throwing him in the air and pretend to drop him. I will not let these children near him, not when he's still growing.

  Right now, Daehyun is sleeping in a crib I bought recently. Before he had to sleep in that little basket. I'm sure he wasn't happy about that, but now, in his crib, he's laying there peacefully. I hope this child will not grow up with a black heart. I will teach him what I can and show him the wonders of the world. Jung Daehyun will be my child.

  Based on the year, it looks like Daehyun is about 14 years older than me. I skip a few more pages as most are about Daehyun growing up. So, most of Daehyun’s morals come from his uncle while his toughness comes from his father and his siblings. There's not much about the wife except how she basically ignored Daehyun. I stop at a page with a dried rose petal smashed in between the pages. It confuses me. Where did this come from?

05 May xx00

  Daehyun is turning seven next month. I decided to take him to the The Red Rose to choose his first suit since he's been wearing hand-me-downs from his siblings.

  When we went there, they had a new owner. The first thing I noticed about her were her green eyes. They were eyes like emeralds, and they even glistened like one as she directs her customers to the different designs. Her black hair flowed down her back and swayed each time she strutted to one side of the place to the other. Her skin was fair and clear of any blemishes. This was the first time I saw a human so beautiful. It made me wonder what kind of crime did she do to be sent here?

  Out of all the workers, she's the one who came up to us and introduced herself. Her name was Sora. What a fitting name for someone as exotic as her. I introduced myself to her and then to Daehyun. Daehyun was a little shy and held onto my pant legs.

  She bent over to say hello and smiled. That smile matched her beauty. Daehyun must've noticed because he let's go of me and nods his head as a greeting.

  I tell her that I was searching for a suit for him.

  She laughed and said she knew the perfect one.

  As she went to the back, I noticed a single rose in a vase of water. Strange, nothing living like that should be alive, mainly because flowers are unnecessary when it comes to survival. This was the first time I saw a rose since I came to the Dome. One of the petals fell and I panicked. That was not my intention.

  I tried covering it up by stuffing the petal in my pocket just in time for Sora to come back. She returned with a blue suit and held it out for me. She told me that a child should wear something colorful because the adults are the ones who wear the typical neutral colors. I would accept it, but Daehyun’s father preferred if he wore either gray or black.

  I could tell she disagreed, but brought out another suit and told Daehyun to try it.

  While Daehyun was in the fitting room, Sora spoke about her life and how she was sent here. She stole food and other necessities for her family because they were too poor to afford it. It’s been a month since then. I could tell there was more to the story, but she doesn't say anymore as Daehyun comes back, wearing the suit.

  I decided to buy it since Daehyun looked so happy wearing it. On the pocket of the blazer, I noticed there was an embroidered rose. When I asked, she said she sewed those on with the clothes she made. With a talent like that, why didn't she just use it to earn money rather than resort to stealing? I didn't understand. Humans are strange creatures.

  There seems to be a pause from this journal entry as the next few lines are written in pencil rather than a pen.

  I had forgotten about the rose petal until it fell out of my pocket. What a rare occurrence. It’s hard to believe that the rose was able to survive in a place like this. I will keep it, and maybe one day I can visit Sora again.

 I flip a few more pages, landing on a random page.

 07 May xx00

  I met with Sora, not to buy a new suit, but to speak to her. At first, she insisted that I buy something since I came here. I confessed that I came to talk about the rose on her desk and how she was able to keep it alive.

  She laughed at me because of that, yet I didn't get mad. I was happy that she found it funny. I didn't understand why, but at least I made her smile. If only that smile will remain.

 She told me that the rose was given to her by one of the guards before she came here and kept it alive as long as she could. I was jealous when I heard her story. The rose, now, was withering, but she still kept it. Just how could something like a dying flower still be beautiful?

  I made the mistake by reaching out to pick it up. I did not realize the thorns were still there and pricked myself. Vampires don't bleed as easily as humans, but Sora still pulled out a handkerchief and wrapped it around my finger. I refused her help, but she insisted and even allowed me to keep the handkerchief for myself.

  At first, I insisted that she didn't need to give me something like this. It's not like I'll use it for anything. But she's stubborn. She told me it will be her gift to me for buying something from her and for me to have an eternal rose once the one in the vase withers and dies. I wanted to question her because I didn't understand her logic. Everyone buys something for her, but why would she give something to me? I didn't say anything and accepted the gift.

 So that was where the handkerchief came from. It was passed down from Daehyun's uncle to Daehyun and now to me.

  I skip. Looks like most of the journal entries are mostly about Daehyun and his growth while others are about Sora and all the stories she tells him about the outside world. Based on what he writes, it looks like the past was a lot different from now.

15 January xx05

  Daehyun came to me crying again. I was supposed to meet with Sora tonight to talk more about the outside world, but I had to cancel. Daehyun is too important for me.

  It's my fault. I shouldn't have told him about the humans and the outside world. I think he got too attached to them because he always questioned if he needed to drink fresh human blood once he turned twelve. His father would scold him for that and punish him by burning his hands. I tried stopping him, but Mr. Jung would give me a threatening look and tell me that he is disciplining his own son to prepare him for the business. I can't agree, but I have no say as Mr. Jung is letting me stay here and feeding me.

  I wish I didn't bring Daehyun to the library. Ever since then, he became curious and would ask for a story before he leaves. This is the year he will be attending his first Blood Moon banquet. I don't know what will happen once he finds out what happens. He is of age to try his first bite. For now, all I can do is hope he will be unaffected.

  I don't know when the Blood Moon occurred that year, but I skim through until I come across it.

10 July xx05

  Everyone had a Doll tonight. They all wore masks as this year we had a masquerade theme. Normally, we wouldn't have any, but this year was different because the host, Himchan, wanted a theme.

  This would be Daehyun’s first time. I was afraid of what he will think. I haven't seen him yet, but I'm sure he's not feeling well. He hadn't said a word ever since we left the place.

  I wore the suit Sora made for me and brought her with me as I didn't have my own Doll. I do not like the concept of them. Many stared at us as we entered and Mr. Jung dragged Daehyun to keep a distance from me. I didn't care, but Sora, she was nervous. I couldn't blame her when she was surrounded by bloodthirsty vampires. Because of this, I did my best to keep her close and avoided Kim Himchan.

  Kim Himchan, if he had the chance, would steal anything beautiful. I would not let him touch her nor let him get near her. I successfully did so, and continued the night conversing with the others.

  Daehyun came up to me and asked why everyone was staring at my Doll and why were there so many humans with tattoos on the back of their neck. He was not aware that Sora was the one next to me as she wore a mask and her hair was tied in a bun. Daehyun knew what Dolls were and what this banquet was for, but I did not inform him about the tattoos. I had assumed Mr. Jung would tell him.

  I didn't know what to say at first, but I knew it would be inappropriate to hide it from him. I told him everything and about why I didn't mark her. He was confused at first, but does not press it further as his father called out to him. The Blood Moon was approaching.

  I pulled Sora away from the crowd. It wouldn't be healthy for her to stay in the ballroom with all the vampires feasting on their Dolls.

  As I'm writing this, I shouldn't have brought her there in the first place, but that night changed my life. Once the Blood Moon is at its peak, our vampire instincts overcome us, making us forget ourselves.

  I took her to a room, away from everyone else. We sat side by side, waiting for the Blood Moon to come. This would be the first time I was nervous to bite a human being. Sora is different. I don't want to hurt her. However, as the Blood Moon approached, everything about her was tempting. Her scent, her neck, her lips… everything. I couldn't take it and bit into her flesh. The warmth of her blood coursed through me. It tasted delicious. I couldn't stop, but I knew if I continued, I could potentially kill her.

  Her hands gripped onto my shirt tightly and I could feel her heart thumping as she pressed her body against me. Her breathing was ragged. I was afraid I was slowly killing her, so I stopped.

  But what came next was something I did not expect. It’s all a blur, but I can still feel her under my touch, I can still smell her flowery scent, and I can still hear her sweet voice calling my name.

  There's a few dots on the line below as if he was thinking about what to write next. Then:

  What have I done?

  I turn the pages until I find the last journal entry. This is what I'm looking for. This will hopefully tell me everything I needed to know about Daehyun’s uncle’s disappearance. The writing is shaky as of he was in a hurry.

15 September xx07

  I received a letter from Sora. I don't know how she was able to send a letter to me considering she left two years ago - three months after that night together. As I'm writing this, I have already opened the contents and my mind is everywhere. This cannot be happening. Something like this hasn't happened for nearly a century. We only spend a time together once!

  I cannot let anyone figure out, but I can't imagine myself not being part of Sora’s life. On her letter, she's happy, but I'm not in it. I'm not there with my son.

  Part of me is considering to escape this Dome, but what about Daehyun? Daehyun is still young. He still needs me.

  But my son.

  I want to see my son.

  I don't know what to do.

  I heard that someone knew a way out, but he would charge at a high price to guide us through. It didn't matter. I have enough for whatever price I need to pay.

  I don't know.

  I don't want to abandon Daehyun, but I have a son. I need to know what he's like and help Sora take care of him. According to her letter, our son could drink normal human milk, but occasionally have cravings for blood. He could even survive in the daytime! What am I supposed to do?

  There's a few scribbles as he writes more but decides to scratch them off. I read the last few words.

  I have decided. I'm leaving. I’m going to see my Luca.

  My mind goes blank. Wait. Did I read that right? I reread the last sentence over and over again. The words mix together, but it's clear. His son… is Luca? No, that can't be right. Luca is the child between the previous owner of The Red Rose and Daehyun’s uncle? That can't be. That just can't be.

  I hold the journal in my hand, staring at Luca’s name. After I think about it, it makes sense. Daehyun and Luca had that same peppermint scent, probably from Daehyun’s uncle. Daehyun remembers seeing green eyes during the Blood Moon years ago, and Luca had green eyes. Luca’s age matched the years from the journal entries. There's no doubt that this Luca is the Luca I know.

  I don't know how long I sit here, unmoving, but I hear Daehyun come in. “Hello, Jae.” He comes up to me and kisses my cheek. His kiss is gentle and he ends up pulling away with a worried expression across his face. “What's wrong?”

  I raise my head and hold out the journal. “Luca,” I croak, “Luca is your uncle’s son. The previous owner of The Red Rose was the woman you saw your uncle bit. She's the mother.”

  Daehyun furrows his brows, trying to recall the scene. He shakes his head. “The memory for that night is vague. Are you sure?”

  “It’s right here! It’s written in the journal! He left because he wanted to see his son. I don't know what happened to him, but he wanted to see him. That's why he's gone.” I can't think straight. This can't be. What are the odds? The two vampires I fell in love with were both raised by the same person. No wonder there were similarities within them. It’s all too confusing! I have to get out of here.

  I stand and hand the journal to him. “If you don't believe me, then look for yourself. I-I have to go. I need to clear my head.”

  “Where are you going? Jae!”

  “I just need to get away.” I say no more and leave the room. As I'm trudging to the foyer, I see Zelo coming up to me.

  “Youngjae, are you alright?”

  “I need to walk.”

  “Wait. It's dangerous to go out by yourself.”

  I head out the front door without a word, ignoring Zelo's warning. For the first time, I step out of the mansion without permission and make my way down the streets. Vampires stare at me, but I pay no attention. My mind is too jumbled up with all the information I just read. This can't be real.

  I find myself going towards a park. Why had I not noticed this before? Well, the carriage did not have windows and I never left the mansion on my own accord until now. At least it'll be a nice place to clear my mind. Let's just hope no vampire approaches me. I am not in the mood.

  Making my way through the path, I find an empty bench underneath a tall lamp and sit. There, I stare up at the Moon, my mind going everywhere. This discovery shouldn't change my relationship with Daehyun, but it's so much to take in. Who knew that the man I'm staying with now had a connection with Luca in some way. Is this some sort of punishment? Or is this what you call fate? If I hadn't met Luca, then I wouldn't have met Daehyun. There's so many possibilities if one event was different than how it actually occurred. Just what will my life be like if none of this happened?

  My mind then wanders about Daehyun. What will he think once he discovers the truth? Will he still love me the same? Will he treat me differently? I don't think so, but just the thought worries me.

  I don't want to lose him.

  I don't know how long I sat on this bench, but in the middle of my thoughts, I see a vampire with her Doll walking down the path. She spots me and I recognize her. She was one of the vampires that spoke about the recent attacks at parts of the Dome.

  She approaches me with her eyes squinting. “I've seen you before. Aren't you Daehyun’s Doll?”

  I nod. Why is she speaking to me now? She didn't seem to pay much attention to me during the Blood Moon.

  Her red hair is tangled in every direction. She looks so different from when I last saw her. In fact, she appeared almost normal despite her pale skin and sharp fangs. “I heard that the Bank was blown up. It must've been one of Them.”

  “Them?”

  “They call themselves Bloodline. They've been attacking main businesses where many humans work at to test how quickly the guards react. I don't know their motives, but recently the attacks are more frequent in other parts of the Dome where more of the deadly prisoners are. I would advise you to stay indoors or at least make sure your Master is with you. I heard they are also attacking humans individually.”

  “But wouldn't they be punished for that?”

  She nods. “Yes, but they don't care. They're making a statement.” Her eyes shift from side to side as her head swivels about. “I must go. The Sun will rise and I'm still a little bit of ways home. Come, my Doll.” She walks past me with her Doll trailing behind.

  I watch them go. If my mind wasn't jumbled enough, it sure is now. I need to go back. Maybe if I speak to Daehyun or Zelo, I'll be able to reason everything out. And maybe talking to Daehyun will calm me down.

  I head back to the mansion.The moment I step inside, Zelo comes up to me, patting my head, shoulder, and face. “Good thing you're okay! You were gone so long, so Young Master went out to look for you.”

  My eyes widen. “The Sun will come out soon!” He needs to get back or else he will burn.

  I'm about to leave again, but Zelo stops me. “Not now. You have a guest that wants to speak to you.”

  “A guest?” As I say these words, my body shivers and a familiar, threatening pheromone leaks through to me. I turn my head and see Mr. Jung coming up to me from beside the stairs. How did I not notice him earlier? He hid his presence well.

  Mr. Jung eyes me with stern eyes and completely expressionless.

  My knees feel weak. Daehyun isn't here to help me. No, not this time.

  “Youngjae, yes?” His voice comes deep and unwaivering.

  I not my head, unable to muster up words.

  “Why do you tremble so? I am not here to hurt you. I just want to talk.”

  Just what does he need to talk about? I stand straight and listen to what he has to say.

  “My son is acting different ever since you became his Doll. He used to listen to me. That is not the case anymore.” Mr. Jung’s eye pierced through mine. “It is all your fault. He will be inheriting the Bank, and I can't afford having someone who has a soft spot for humans. They don't deserve it.”

  I say nothing. As much as I want to fight back, I refrain.

  “I have a proposition. If you leave Daehyun and this mansion behind, I will provide you a good job and nice place to stay - a place that has more than just one room. A place where you can live comfortably. If you do this now, I will forgive you for doing this to my son. What do you say, boy?”

  If Mr. Jung came to speak to me in the past, then I would have accepted. Not anymore. If I leave now, Daehyun will crash and hurt himself, thinking he drove me away. I can't do that to him. I shake my head and bow to show my respect. “I'm sorry, Mr. Jung but I will have to kindly reject the offer. I am living quite a comfortable life here.” Wait, there's more. “The only reason why you think your son is changing is because you never saw the real Daehyun. If only you took the time to actually be his father, then he may have turned out more like you than his uncle.”

  He raises his eyebrows. “His uncle? Minseok?” He laughs. “Minseok was a failed vampire who should've died along with his family a thousand years ago. His family was always fond of the humans and that's what led them to their demise. They wanted to protect the humans, but ended up being betrayed and killed. The only reason Minseok was spared was because I was entrusted to him by his father. Not only that, but he was devoted to me and my family. I tried teaching him that humans were evil, but he didn't doubt them. He even fell for that damn human years ago,” he mutters the last few words. “Look where he is now. Dead, probably. I don't want that to happen to my son, so I'm teaching him to be strong and never trust the humans.”

  My blood boils. Oh, how I wanted to punch his face. I resist and bow again. “It’s too late to change him. Daehyun will remain being Daehyun no matter what you do.”

  His eyes darken and his pheromones leak, but he keeps his composure. Mr. Jung raised his head high and glares.

  My body feels like something is crushing me. If I didn't stand straight, my knees will give in. What is this feeling? I want to cower and run away again. No. I need to hold my ground. I keep my gaze on him, showing him that I am stronger than I look.

  Our stare-down lasted a few more seconds before he brushes past me, bumping my shoulder without a word. He leaves the premises. When he is gone, my knees buckle and I fall to the floor.

  Zelo, who is standing in a distance, comes up to me and wraps an arm around my shoulder. “You were brave for standing up to Mr. Jung. If that were anyone else, they would have taken the offer.”

  I'm trembling. “That was the scariest thing in my life.” How could someone who said so little, be that frightening? I hug myself, hoping my shaking will stop. It’s not enough, but it is slowly subsiding.

  I stay like this for a long time until Daehyun comes bursting through the doors, panting. Upon seeing me, he runs up and crouches next to me. “Youngjae, are you alright? I was looking all over for you. When did you get back?” Zelo stands and lets Daehyun pat me down.

  I can't tell him that his father came. “I'm fine. Just a little tired.” A lie.

  He pulls me in for a hug and holds me close. My head rests on his shoulder as his hand combs through my hair. “You had me so worried. Don't ever run off like that again.”

  Everything hits me all at once: the guilt for running away, the fear for meeting his father, and the happiness for being in Daehyun’s arms. These emotions pour out through tears. I bury my head deeper into his shoulder and wrap my arms around his waist. “I'm sorry. I won't do it again.”

  He chuckles and rubs my back. He pushes me away so he can see me. Wiping away my tears, he has a soft smile on his lips. “You must be tired. Let's get you cleaned up and take you to bed. It’s been a long day.”

  I nod and comply as Daehyun takes my hand and leads me to the bathroom.

  Zelo appears as I'm washing my face to give me a change of clothes. Daehyun is outside, waiting for me. What did I do to deserve such great company?

  After I washed up, I slip into different clothes and meet Daehyun.

  He kisses the back of my hand. “Do you feel better now?”

  I nod. My encounter with Mr. Jung is fresh in my mind, but I'm doing my best to push it back.

  “Good. Well, as long as you're better, I will ask for L to prepare something to eat. You must be hungry.”

  I grab his sleeve. Honestly, I have no appetite. “I'm not hungry. I just want to sleep.”

  “As you wish.” He kisses my forehead and leads me in front of my door. He opens it, but I don't step inside.

  Tapping my foot, I try to think of ways to say this. My cheeks flush just thinking about it. “Can I sleep with you tonight?” So many things happened all in one Night. If I sleep alone, I will never have a good night's rest.

  His eyes widen. I bet this boosted his ego. I'm just waiting for him to make a snide remark, but it never comes. Instead, his gaze is soft. “Okay.”

  We walk into his room.

  Daehyun lays down first and spread his arms out for me. I climb into his arms. Even though his body is cold, a warmth fills me up. I know, I'm secured in his arms.

  "I'm sorry," I utter. "I'm sorry for running away. I needed to clear my mind especially since it was about Luca."

  Daehyun pulls me closer. "Don't be sorry. I understand."

  Does he really? I clutch his shirt and say nothing.

  He kisses the top of my head. “Good night, Youngjae.”

  I raise my head and peck his lips.

  He smiles and returns the kiss, holding it longer than mine.

  I trail my fingers along his back, my lips massaging his. I just want to stay like this forever. I want to be with Daehyun and not worry about the past and the fact that this is a forbidden relationship. I just want to live based on my own rules.


Author's Note:

  Next chapter is just a little extra chapter/gift for those who wanted something more. Please note, I don't really write so... Don't have any high expectations. If you don't feel comfortable reading a rated scene, then you're free to skip it as it has nothing to do with the plot. Thank you for reading!

With Love,

LokiCraze123