Jung Daehyun

Imprisoned

 I'm standing behind the desk with several of my colleagues as vampires swarm the place, depositing and withdrawing blood they earned from enslaved humans. I like to think I'm one of the lucky ones, but in fact, all of us here are prisoners. Literally. Here, criminals of all kind are sent to The Dome where these vampires reside, and the only way to get out is to serve your sentence. To prevent any discord, all prisoners were given a chance for redemption as long as they complied with the vampires' rules.

 Now, I bet you're wondering how these vampires got here in the first place. Well, nearly a thousand years ago, a war broke out between humans and vampires. Humans were at the losing end for quite a long time until they discovered that the world was changing. Days were getting longer while nights were getting shorter. They used this as an advantage and drew the vampires back. As a compromise for their defeat, the vampires agreed to live within an island where the humans created a dome that allowed longer, cooler nights. This was now known as 'The Dome' where criminals were sent as punishment.

 I'm one of those prisoners, but fortunately for me, I found a job as a banker that exchanges blood. It's definitely better than being a slave.

 “Youngjae, have you heard?” One of my colleagues asks from beside me.

 “Shh! You're not allowed to call me by name while we're at work! And heard what?” I shoot back. When you're working, no one was allowed to call you by name because it was for safety precautions. It is said that vampires could control you by using pheromones, but apparently it is more effective when they learn your name. Instead, we were numbered based on when we were hired.

 “Sorry, but calling you 6256 is just too long and tedious sometimes. Anyways, I heard the owner’s son, Jung Daehyun, is coming to visit here. Supposedly, he's going to inherit the business despite being the youngest son.”

 “And your point is?” I'm not really one for gossip unlike my other colleagues.

 “My point is, we have to behave or else who knows what our manager will do if we mess this up. Sure, he's nice most of the time, but I think with this, we have to be extra cautious.”

 “That shouldn't be a problem. We just gotta do what we always do.”

 “Yes, that's true, but I also heard his pheromones are strong, and you know how weak I am with pheromones, unlike you. You're surprisingly good at resisting.”

Because I was trained to be so. “I'll make sure to watch over you just in case you do anything stupid.”

 He laughs nervously. “Yeah, thanks.”

6245, also know as, Jongup arrived here before me because he robbed a bank. Ironic, right? He is weak to pheromones, probably due to heredity, and it surprises me that he managed to get a job where nearly all the vampires go. Maybe because he is good worker, he has protection within the city, or he's just not that good enough to become a vampire's slave.

 To become a slave, it was preferred to be beautiful and healthy. However, there are two types of slaves. The first is a normal slave where you’re just there as a blood source and the second is a Doll where you are pampered but still considered nothing but a blood source. These Dolls are marked with the family's emblem on the back of their neck. Most vampires who have Dolls are of higher rank, and those who have the most beautiful Doll hold more power over others. Because money talks.

 But truthfully, being a Doll is much better than living in the slums where you're practically unwanted and forced to live on your own and do everything yourself. I'm lucky enough to find this job on the first day. It's dangerous outside the city’s borders as you never know what happens.

 I check the time. Only 3 more hours until closing time. Just when will this guy be arriving? I'm quite curious what the owner’s son is like as I've been here for a month, and I only hear rumors about him. Apparently, he resembles so much like his father - it's uncanny. Even the way he acts is much like his father. Just thinking about it make my hairs stand. I hope when I see him, he won't be as bad as people make him to be.


 Two hours passed and Daehyun still hasn't appeared.

 “Maybe he's not coming today,” Jongup mutters as he stares at the ticking clock.

 “Maybe or maybe your provider gave you false information,” I point out.

 He shrugs his shoulders. “Maybe.”

 At this time, there aren't many vampires as the night is coming to a close. The only few who remain are security guards and our manager. They leave only when everything is secured since the “sun” comes out at specific times.

 No one in particular catches my eye as none of them are new to this bank. Some are walking with their slaves around while others are talking to other bank tellers to deposit the blood they receive. Only one more hour until we can close down and count the stocks.

 Just as my mind begins to drift, a heavy feeling weighs down on me. I look around and it isn’t just me who gets this feeling. Every human in the room groans and a few fall to their knees, only to get reprimanded by their owners. Even Jongup was on the ground, gripping at his chest. This was nothing like I’ve felt before. This pheromone has a weird vibe to it, and it frightened me.

 The other vampires in the room all face towards the source, and immediately some back away while others stay where they are. Even they could feel the intensity. Just what is going on? Certainly, this customer has not been here before. Who in the world would flash their pheromones so intensely at a time like this?

 Slow, heavy steps make it’s way down the waiting area towards us, the tellers. I can’t seem to get a good look at him as he is blocked from my view. No one moves and it seems like everyone is holding their breaths. Then, the heavy feeling disappears, and everyone continues their normal routine with a slight tension in the air. Eventually, many of the vampires leave the area, and that’s when I see him.

 There, stood Jung Daehyun, observing the area with his dark eyes. His plump lips curve into a small smirk as he can clearly see everyone doing their job. I have no customers, so I end up staring at him for way too long.

 Our eyes meet and I immediately regret it.

 I avert my gaze to my desk and to Jongup who is still mortified from the events earlier. From the corner of my eye, I can see him striding up to me with his gloved hands in his pant pockets. He was wearing the typical black outfit with a brooch of his family seal on it: a phoenix.

 “Ah, Young Master Jung,” I hear my manager say from a few meters in front of me.

 I raise my head to see him bowing to Daehyun.

 They begin to speak to each other - words I cannot hear. Most likely they are discussing everything that’s been going on at the bank and how great the business is doing. I can’t help but watch Daehyun as he intentively listens while giving a nod or a few inputs to the conversation.

 “So that’s him?” I mutter to Jongup.

 “Yeah, that’s him. Scary isn’t it?” Jongup asks, referring to his pheromones. He rubs the back of his neck and heaves a sigh. “And just like always, you didn’t seem to be affected by it.”

 “I definitely felt it, though.” Certainly, this man is different from the others, but I can’t place my fingers on it.

 Soon, the conversation between the manager and Daehyun ends, and the young master is sent towards the vaults.

 “That damn Jung Daehyun. Who does he think he is for releasing such pheromones in the air,” one customer scoffs to another. “Just because he’s the son of the master, doesn’t mean he has the right to do such a thing.”

 The other doesn’t say a thing.

 “He still has a lot to learn if he plans to be like his father and surpass all his siblings. And let us not forget there are still other leaders in other parts of the island. If he ever traversed there alone, he could be eaten alive!”

 The two vampires leave as one continues to complain while the other listens without a word.

 Man, the things you hear when you’re a bank teller.


 Less than thirty minutes later, I see Jung Daehyun walking back to the waiting room with the manager beside him. He appears to be pleased as they talk. Daehyun looks my way and utters something to my manager without taking his eyes off of me.

  I can't help but stare back, confusion written all over my face. Just what in the world is he saying to my manager? I haven't done anything yet! I mean, I haven't done anything wrong considering I don't have a guest in front of me at the moment.

 My manager glances at me and tells him something with, also, a confused look on his face.

 Daehyun doesn’t seem to be listening and heads over to me with my manager following right behind. He reaches me, rests an arm on my desk, and leans towards me. “What is your name, bank teller?” He asks. His gruff voice throws me off a little.

 I didn’t falter. “I’m 6256.”

 He leans closer to the point where I could smell the scent of peppermint. “Not the number you were given at this bank. I want your name. The name that you were given at birth. Tell me.”

 Again, that heavy feeling fills the air as he releases his pheromones. Everyone around us groans once more, and the workers try to resist as they tend to their customer's need. A few vampires give him death glares for interrupting their transaction but says nothing. 

 He’s trying to get me to say my name, but I don't. There’s no way I will let him control me that easily.

 “Youngjae. His name his Youngjae,” Jongup announces in a strained voice.

 I glare at Jongup. I want to scold him for telling Daehyun, but I can tell he is struggling to keep himself together. This is too much for him in one day.

 “Youngjae, huh?” He stops emitting and stands up straight. “And what is someone like you doing at a place like this? What kind of crimes have you committed?”

 I stand my ground. “I don’t need to tell you.” I can tell Jongup and my manager shooting a warning gaze at me. “I have the right to keep that information to myself.” Just who does he think he is? There's no way I'll let an arrogant person like him control me! He may be the son of a high-classed vampire, but right now, I just can't control myself of my emotions.

 Daehyun stares at me for a long time without saying a word. For a moment, I see his eyes flashing red until a look of amusement plasters on his face. “It’s quite rare for someone to be able to resist me. I commend you for that, but you should really learn your manners when speaking to your superiors.” Again, he leans close to me where his lips nearly touch my ear as he speaks, “If this world wasn’t ruled by you humans, you would’ve end up dead.” He straightens and taps a finger on my nose before telling my manager, “I enjoyed my time here, but it seems your employees may need to learn a little more respect especially when they’re dealing like vampires like me.”

 “Don’t worry, young master. I will make sure he is properly punished for what he has done,” the manager says quickly while bowing to him.

 Daehyun shakes his head and raises a hand. “There’s no need to.” He looks at me once more with a hungry look. “But I would like to see him after he is done with work.”

 “Y-Yes, sir.”

 "Good. And I assume you know where my office is?"

  "Yes, sir."

  "Good." He looks at me once more. "I better see you today or else I will send you to the slums." At those words, Daehyun gives a small wink and exits the premises.

  Who does he think he is!?

 My manager is all smiles until the door shuts behind Daehyun. He turns to me. “What are you thinking, speaking to the young master like that? You do know he is the son of the-”

 “Yes, I know who he is,” I cut him off. Luckily, our manager is nicer than most vampires or else I would’ve gotten my tongue ripped out if I spoke out of turn. “But, he sort of irritated me, flaunting his pheromones like that and causing Jongup to act this way.”

 He sighs and shakes his head. “Just try to be more careful next time and try not to speak to him like that ever again. I’m going to send you to him, and I better have you in one piece tomorrow. You’re one of my best workers here, and I can’t afford to lose someone like you.”

 “Yes, I know.” Being able to resist most pheromones helps me speak to any vampire, which is essential for this job. If it weren’t for this ability, then I would end up like Jongup or somewhere in the slums. I am truly grateful for this gift.

 Another sigh. “Now, return to work. I have to double check 6195’s stock numbers. He may have made a mistake counting.” He leaves as he grabs a pencil from my desk.

 “Sorry, Youngjae,” Jongup apologizes in a hush tone. “I just- I just couldn’t resist. It felt like needles were piercing my brain and I can hear his voice asking me for your name. He kept saying that I knew it, and he said he wouldn’t stop until he got it.”

 “No. I understand.” In fact, I really didn’t. At a young age, I was resistant to pheromones. It’s just my resistance improved as I am surrounded by vampires all day.

 “Sorry,” he repeats.

 I didn’t answer and continue on with my work. I’m a little nervous about meeting Daehyun after work. What will he do to me? I didn’t think talking back at him would lead to something like this. I just wanted to show him that I’m not like the other humans who falter when they are attacked by pheromones. There’s a reason why we managed to push them back long ago. Let’s just hope he doesn’t kill me for acting that way.