Expression

REPLY 2012
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 54: Expression

 

Hanna sat beside the sleeping Jonghyun, her left hand still holding Jonghyun's hand, and her right hand patted Jonghyun's shoulder gently. Hanna looked at the sleeping Jonghyun with a sad look. A few minutes ago, she had just seen Jonghyun vent his emotions.

Hanna put her thumb on Jonghyun's cheek and started to wipe the tears remaining. Hanna whispered, "I hope after this there is no more thing that makes you cry. You have worked hard Jonghyun ah..."

Hanna sighed, staring at Jonghyun deeply before then removing her hand from Jonghyun's grasp. She gently Jonghyun's hair while saying good night. Then she stood up and walked slowly toward the door. Shortly after she opened the door, she was surprised to see someone had fallen asleep on the living room sofa.

 

Thinking it was her brother, Hanna walked over. But apparently, that person was Minhyun.

Hanna’s heart rustled, did Minhyun see what just happened? Did he see me with Jonghyun?

Somehow, Hanna felt anxious. When actually she didn’t have to feel anxious, because staying with a friend at a sad time is very reasonable. But half of Hanna's heart didn’t want Minhyun to see it for some reason.

 

Hanna returned to Jonghyun's room to take a blanket. She carefully opened Jonghyun's wardrobe looking for where a spare blanket was kept. This was the first time Hanna has opened Jonghyun's privacy thing. And it was predictable, the cabinet was neat, even tidier than hers. So it made Hanna easily to find a spare blanket in the lowermost cabinet. Hanna picked it up and then walked out again.

She turned off the lights and closed the door of Jonghyun's room. Then she approached Minhyun and covered his body with the blanket. Hanna stood silent on Minhyun's side. There was a strange feeling when she saw Minhyun, it was no less sad when she saw Jonghyun earlier. Not wanting her emotions raging, Hanna decided to leave.

“Good night, Minhyun ah ..”

After the sound of the front door closed, Minhyun opened his eyes. He hasn’t slept yet. He couldn’t sleep. How could he sleep if his feelings were in a mess like this. He felt sad to see his best friend at his lowest point. He felt sad that he cannot be a good friend who can cure his pain. He felt sad by the fact that the person who is able to cure the pain of his best friend was none other than the person he liked.

 

 

-00-

 

 

The sun appeared. It meant that Dobong-dong kids should be ready to go to school. They gathered in the front aisle before then together to Jonghyun's house. They thought Jonghyun will still rest at home, but it turned out Jonghyun is ready with his uniform.

"Oh? Are you going to school today?" Dongho was shocked.

"Yeah, I'm afraid to miss the lesson." Jonghyun replied casually.

"OH MY GOD, KIM JONGHYUN, do you still think of lessons in times like this??" Dongho shook his head in disbelief.

Jonghyun laughed at that.

Hanna quietly watched him. Although his eyes were still red and swollen, but Jonghyun's expression was more cheerful. But Hanna doubted it, whether Jonghyun's cheerful expression is truly because he feel better or more likely to cover up his grief.

Hanna's mind was distracted as Soyeon called Jonghyun. "Jonghyun ah, eat it before the lesson begins."

Soyeon gave a meal box to Jonghyun and Jonghyun accepted it hesitantly. Dobong-dong kids weren’t sure if Kim siblings has made up yet. But judging from Jonghyun's reaction that only took the box silently without saying anything, it seemed they haven’t really made up.

"I’ll go." Jonghyun said quietly to his sister.

But her sister called him again. "Jonghyun ah.. Tonight I have to go back to Japan.. Yeah, I have to go back to work.” She paused for a moment, waiting a respond from Jonghyun, but her brother didn’t say anything, so she added,  “I hope I can see you before I leave.."

Jonghyun stared at his sister. His expression was wistful, but he was still guarding his pride. He just nods before coming out of the house, leaving Dobong-dong kids in an awkward moment between following Jonghyun or saying goodbye to Soyeon.

 

 

-00-

 

 

Dobong-dong kids were trying to make a good atmosphere for Jonghyun, they wanted to keep Jonghyun's mood improving. Upon arriving at the class, his classmates immediately greeted Jonghyun, as they hadn’t seen him for a long time. They showed support to the president of their class.

At lunch, Ong even deliberately sat down with Dobong-dong kids to welcome Jonghyun's return. Ong threw out his jokes making Jonghyun laugh. But Hanna kept watching. She still wanted to observe if Jonghyun's laugh is really sincere from the bottom of his heart or it is just his disguise again. And as long as Hanna watched Jonghyun, during that time Minhyun also watched Hanna.

 

Upon returning to class, Namjoo asked Hanna, "Hanna ya .."

"Uhm?"

"Jonghyun looks cheerful, but why are you the one who look so gloomy?"

Hanna was surprised by that question. "Eh? Really? I didn’t even realize it."

"Yeah .. You’re laughing too, but your face is like... thinking about something."

Hanna heaved a sigh. "Actually that's what I feel when I see Jonghyun. Don’t you see it in Jonghyun too?"

Namjoo tilted her head, thinking of the answer. "Uhm? I think Jonghyun is fine."

Hanna pursed her lips.

"Maybe it's because you're closed to him, so you can read his face more than I. Just as I can read your face right now because we're close." Said Namjoo.

Hanna nodded. "Yes, I suppose so .."

"Just try to talk to him, Hanna .."

Hanna looked at Namjoo for a moment then nodded. Yeah, I guess I have to talk to him..

 

Not only Hanna who could read Jonghyun's face, Minhyun also thought the same.

"Are you not going to eat what your sister gave you?" asked Minhyun as they sat in their class.

Jonghyun glanced at Minhyun while answering his question. "I've just had lunch, Nyeon."

"Yes, you should have eaten before we started the lesson this morning." Minhyun blurted out.

Jonghyun bent his head down and answered Minhyun’s question with a low tone. "I have no appetite this morning."

Listening to it, Minhyun sighed. "Jonghyun ah ..."

"Uhm?"

Minhyun stared at Jonghyun for a moment before he heaved another sigh. "Never mind.."

Actually Minhyun wanted to have some talk with Jonghyun but the he thought he better let it go. Minhyun didn’t want to ruin Jonghyun's mood by arguing with him.

 

After the last bell was heard, indicating that the day class ended, Hanna went to class 3A.

Hanna came in and went to the left first row of the class, the spot Jonghyun and Minhyun are sitting.

Jonghyun directly greeted her. “Oh! Hanna yaaa...”

Minhyun turned his head to see Hanna’s coming. Inside his heart, he was questioning the reason why she came.

Hanna approached them slowly and smiled, before asking, "Jonghyun ah, are you going to attend the night class?"

Jonghyun nodded. "Yeah .. I'm still given the day off by Chef Mark. What's up, Hanna?"

Though not commenting anything, Minhyun noticed, guessing what Hanna would say. And in the next second, Hanna said exactly the same thing that Minhyun want to say.

"I think you better go home, Jonghyun ah .. Isn’t Soyeon unnie going back to Japan? You don’t want to talk to her first?" Hanna asked slowly.

Jonghyun was stunned to hear what Hanna said. His expression instantly changed. His cheerful face faded, alternating with a face full of confusion.

"I don’t mean to interfere in your family's affairs, but I want you t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter