Guardian

REPLY 2012
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 46: Guardian

 

Hanna was stealing glance at Minhyun who was walking next to her. Most parts of his clothes were soaking wet and his lips were slight blue with cold. Somehow it made Hanna feeling sorry. Moreover, Minhyun still had time offering himself to carry Hanna's groceries. So, his left hand was holding an umbrella, while his right hand carrying plastic filled with groceries. Hanna could only walk with her head down, playing her fingers that were also turning blue from the cold. She really felt guilty to Minhyun.

 

"Here's your groceries.." Minhyun said as he handed a plastic bag filled with groceries to Hanna, once they arrived at Hanna’s house.

"Ah, yeah.." Hanna took it as she glanced at Minhyun. Softly she said, "Thanks."

Minhyun simply nodded and then said, "Then I'll go.."

But when he started to walk, Hanna called him. "Minhyun ah.."

Minhyun turned around and asked, "Uhm?"

Hanna looked at him in the eyes while saying, "I'm really thankful that you came and help me.. Really really thankful.. but next time you don't need to --"

Minhyun cut her words. "Next time and next next time I will still come. You can count on me, Hanna. I like to be someone you depend on." Minhyun said it fast while looking at Hanna.

Knowing that Hanna was still feeling guilty, Minhyun added, "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. You are soaking wet too. You must feel cold right now. Just go inside and drink something warm."

Hanna still froze, staring at Minhyun with a guilty look.

Minhyun even needed to push her. "Just go inside, Kwak Hanna.."

Before she went inside, Hanna told Minhyun. "You too, Minhyun ah.. Take a warm shower and eat warm meals after this. I don't want you to get sick."

Minhyun couldn’t help but to smile. "Yeah, I know. You too.. just get in.."

 

-00-

 

Minhyun went home and took a warm shower as Hanna suggested. While showering his body with warm water, Minhyun smiled, reminiscing her moments with Hanna.

Somehow he couldn’t believe at himself. How could I do that? How could I make such decision. Can you believe I left Jisoo for Hanna??

Minhyun chuckled. Yeah, I'm going back to her again.

But he realized something. It’s more difficult to avoid her, to not like her, than accept my feeling that I do really like her. Kwak Hanna, how can you make me like this?

He then remembered the time Hanna couldn’t take her eyes off of him. She looks really worry about me. Ah so cute..

Seems like my effort to move on is failed. Yeah, back to square one, again. Minhyun giggled, before he sang the song while continue showering.

 

[scene Minhyun showering, like a hot main actor in a drama, lol]

#bgm: Busker-busker – Cherry Blossom Ending

 

-00-

 

Leaving Minhyun who was busy laughing himself, Kwak’s family member were busy preparing things to welcome Jessica Kwak. Hanna went showering fast and soon changed clothes to help her mom to cook for a dinner. Meanwhile, her father went directly from his office to pick up his older sister at Incheon international airport which scheduled arriving at 5:49 p.m. They arrived at Kwak's residence at the time of dinner. Aaron has also came back from campus to join the dinner. So it was a complete family dinner this time to welcome the Auntie.

Mrs. Kwak, Hanna, and Grace tried to welcome her with (forced) smiles, hoping that somehow Jessie has changed. But of course she came still with her usual habit. Right after Mrs. Kwak served the meals, she commented, "Who eat Samgyetang in almost summer?"

Damn. Knowing how hard her mom preparing the dish, Hanna must have strangled Jessie if she didn't remember that she is her Auntie.

But Hanna’s mom only replied with a smile. Even though Hanna knew deep inside her heart, she wanted to do the same thing that Hanna wanted to do.

Then Jessie talked with Hanna’s parents about this and that, some family matters that Hanna didn't interested. Her mind was flying to what happened at noon, when Minhyun stupidly came in all wet just to pick her up. Why’d he has to force himself? You’re a fool, Minhyun ah.

 

-00-

 

Since her room was used for Jessie, Hanna had to sleep with her little sister, sharing bed in Grace's room.

9:10 p.m. Grace was lying on her bed, ready to sleep.

Hanna lied next to Grace as she caressed her little sister’s hair. It was such a long time she didn’t sleep with Grace, and somehow she treasured this rare moment.

"Grace, do you like that Auntie Jessie coming here?" Hanna asked softly, starting the conversation.

“No.” Grace answered firmly.

Listening to her sister’s honest answer, Hanna chuckled softly. “Why?”

“She’s like a witch in a fairytale.” Grace answered innocently.

Hanna couldn’t hold her laugh, but she tried to make it sound low. “Don’t worry, unnie will be your guardian, Your Highness Princess Grace.” Hanna said it playfully.

And it made Grace smile. But then she asked, “But usually a guardian is a man, unnie. You’re not strong enough to guard me.”

“Who said that? Nooo.. Unnie is strong enough to protect you, Princess.” Hanna said it firmly while hugging Grace.

But talking about a guardian, somehow it reminded her with Minhyun.

Hanna released her hug on Grace and lied next to her again. Softly she asked Grace, "Princess Grace.. May unnie ask you something?”

Grace simply nodded.

“If someone treat you really well, really nice, always there by your side, like protecting you. You should somehow pay the kindness, right?” asked Hanna.

Grace nodded firmly. “Sure.. You should give a reward.”

“Then what will the reward be?"

Grace then shifted and landed a peck on Hanna's cheek.

Hanna was surprised. "A kiss?? Yah, Grace! Who taught you that??"

"Daddy..” Grace answered innocently. “He always say that if I treat him well, I deserved a kiss.."

Heol. Seriously dad really needs to stop his play. Hanna thought. "Yeah, that's right. But it can't be applied to anyone." She tried to argue Grace. "You can't do it to your male friend, Grace. Never."

Listened to what Hanna saying, Grace even asked, "So, the one you’re talking is a male? Then right, a guardian should be a man.”

Knowing that Grace started to dig deeper about the information she just shared, Hanna covered Grace’s eyes. “Just sleep. It’s already late..”

But Grace didn’t give up. "Who’s your guardian, unnie?”

Aish. Why’d I have to ask Grace? Hanna cursed herself in her mind.

 

After Grace fell asleep, Hanna decided to send a message to Minhyun.

Nyeon, you're okay, right?

At Hwang residence, Minhyun was smiling reading a text from Hanna. He slowly typed the answer while can’t stop smiling, imagining ‘the responsibility’ he meant.

I got a fever. Please take responsibility.

Reading Minhyun’s reply, Hanna was nearly jumping from her bed. She typed the answer right at the moment.

Huh?? Really??

I didn’t force you to come, Nyeon!

It’s okay if you can’t pick me up.

Why’d you have to be so fool?

So what will you do now?

Ah really..

Minhyun was laughing when reading Hanna’s reply. It was clearly seen that she was worried. Imagining her worried face somehow making Minhyun smile from ear to ear. Slowly he typed the reply.

Kidding

Nyeon, I'm serious.

I'm not sick. I'm alright.

What about you?

Hanna heaved a relieve sigh. This time she could type more relax.

I'm fine.

That's good.

That’s what important

Hanna was reading Minhyun’s reply. It was short but somehow can make her thinking that Minhyun is always kind to her, and she didn’t know what to do to pay his kindness. Slowly she typed the reply.

Well, good night

Yeah, good night..

Sleep tight J

Hanna was staring at her phone. Reading Minhyun’s reply and seeing a smiling emoticon he sent, Hanna felt a mix feeling she never felt before. Surely it was more than thousands chats she had with Minhyun. It was also more than thousands of good nights they gave to each other. But this night, Hanna felt it was different.

It was...

... sweet.

 

-00-

 

"Do you never clean your closet?"

Sunday morning in Kwak Residence was started with that question from Jessie.

Hanna directly sighed as soon as she heard it. “We even cleaned it before you came, Auntie...” Hanna answered with annoyance.

But her Auntie didn’t stop. "Hanna, you should also clean your room often. Don't you know that dirt gives bad energy and it invites them right?"

This time, Hanna nearly choked the water she just drinking. "T-them?"

"Yeah, you know.. Something you can't see, but I can.. For your information, there are many in your room. Do you never feel it?"

Hanna suddenly frightened. "Aaaah, Auntie.. Don’t make it up.."

Jessie came closer and told Hanna firmly. "I'm not making it up. You know that I can see those things.. You better clean your room before tonight. Moreover under your bed." Then she left to go to the kitchen, giving maybe another comments to Mrs. Kwak.

Jessie left Hanna standing froze, staring at the door of her room in horror. Hanna was known to believe those superstition thingy, so this kind of nonsense words from her Auntie was something that she would believe.

 

-00-

 

After breakfast, Jessie spent time in front of TV chatting with Aaron, her favorite nephew.

“So, now you’re studying in Yonsei University?” asked Jessie.

Aaron nodded in relax. “Yes, Auntie..”

“Heard that it’s good. It’s ranking above UCLA, right?”

Hanna, who was washing dishes in the kitchen, coincidentally overhear the conversation. She directly let out a tsk. Heol. UCLA ranks waaay higher than Yonsei, yet you decide to still praise Aaron. What a snake!

"Mmm, I don’t know, Auntie.. I never mind the ranking..” Aaron answered calmly.

But then, Jessie’s next question could give Aaron tense. “Oh, Aaron, don't you meet Amber here?"

Amber?? Hanna was also surprised by the question.

Didn’t get an answer from Aaron, Jessie added, "I heard she's now in Seoul."

With that, Hanna directly left the kitchen and went to the TV room, asking directly to her Auntie. "But doesn't she---"

Hanna couldn’t finish her question, because Aaron already cut her words. "No, I don't meet her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter