Jellyfish Men

A Perfect Fit

3. Jellyfish Men

“I’m going to miss being able to do this for a while,” Eunji sighed as she snuggled up against Jaehwan’s side. They were lounging on the couch in Eunji’s dorm that she shared with Naeun and Hayoung (the other 3 members share another apartment 3 floors above), watching the local variety shows, laughing along and making comments.

Jaehwan had returned to his schedules after the new year break a couple of days earlier, but they were light schedules and hence he had been able to spend the evenings with Eunji before heading back to his own dorm for the night. Eunji herself had not started on her schedules yet – Apink was still on break until the next week – but came back to Seoul early to spend time with Jaehwan before the year begins and their schedules go crazy.

It was something that they had not really discussed and were definitely not looking forward to.

Jaehwan kissed the top of Eunji’s head as he pulled her tighter into his arms. “Let’s just enjoy the time we have now.”

-----

“So what’s this dinner that you’ll be having tomorrow night? A company dinner?”

Eunji was sitting on the kitchen counter behind Jaehwan as did the dishes before leaving for the night. They played rock-paper-scissors and Jaehwan had lost.

Jaehwan nodded. “Yeah, it’s a Jellyfish dinner.”

“Ooh, do you think you’ll have a lot of seafood then?”

Jaehwan turned to give Eunji an amused look. “I really hope that wasn’t due to of any of my jokes rubbing off on you.”

Eunji shrugged. “It was a good attempt. So, you guys have a dinner every start of the year? Is it a tradition thing?”

“Yeah, somewhat. It’s nice though, being able to see and catch up with others in the same company. Sometimes it’s the only time we see each other until the next year too,” Jaehwan replied as he finished up and set the dishes to dry. “But I think this year we’ll be doing something special for In Guk-hyung cos’ he’ll be going into army soon.”

“Oh, In Guk-hyung?” Eunji asked in surprise, before counting off on her fingers. “Oh yeah it is about time. Does he have an enlistment date yet?”

Jaehwan shrugged, wiping his hands dry. “I’ll need to ask Hakyeon-hyung; he’ll probably know better.” He paused and turned around. “You and In Guk-hyung were pretty close at one point in time right?” Then realization dawned on him as he recalled one of their earliest conversations together. “You guys dated in secret!”

Eunji was surprised. “Did I tell you that? I don’t believe I actually told anyone.”

Jaehwan nodded. “I was sneaking you into Jellyfish but then you seemed familiar with the back entrances and staircases. That’s when you told me.”

“Oh…” Eunji trailed off, remembering. “Wow, I can’t believe I actually told you such a huge thing so early on in our friendship.”

“Well, I’ve never told anyone else in case you were wondering.”

Eunji smiled at him gratefully. “I don’t think it really matters anymore now either way. But, thank you.”

There was silence as they stood across from each other in the kitchen, both thinking back to the time when they first started out their ‘friendship’.

“So… are you still in close contact with In Guk-hyung?”

Eunji looked up. Jaehwan was looking at her without much expression, but she could sense the tentativeness and hesitation in his voice. She shook her head firmly. “We haven’t been talking much since we broke up in 2014.”

“But the TVN awards last year…”

“The first time we met since then,” Eunji replied matter-of-factly. “It was awkward, but the other cast members were there too so it helped.”

Jaehwan nodded slowly, and then gave a slight laugh to hide his insecurity. “I’m not jealous or anything okay… just, you know, curious.” He gave Eunji a lopsided smile.

She returned his smile as she hopped off the counter and walked across to him. Jaehwan willingly opened his arms for her to step into his embrace and pulled her close.

“There is nothing to be jealous about,” Eunji whispered, encircling her arms around his neck. “That part of my life is a closed chapter, and I’m beginning a new one with you.” She leaned forward and pressed her lips against his.

“Us,” he corrected her, after they broke apart.

She smiled. “Us.”

-----

“It just dawned on me,” Jaehwan commented casually as he packed up his things into his backpack. “That you have a lot of links with Jellyfish even before me.”

Eunji looked up from her place on the couch where she was watching him pack his things. She frowned. “What do you mean?”

“In Guk-hyung, Hakyeon-hyung, Taekwoon-hyung…” Jaehwan counted off with his fingers. “You’ve worked with them all and made close friendships with them before this.”

Eunji considered with a slight tilt of her head, which Jaehwan always found cute. “I suppose that’s true,” she conceded. “Never realized it though. I guess Jellyfish does have a knack for spotting great guys… I should send in my thanks and appreciation to your CEO,” she teased.

Jaehwan huffed and flopped himself on the couch beside her, pretending to pout.

“Were you… were you ever close with Hakyeon-hyung and Taekwoon-hyung?” Jaehwan asked tentatively after a moment. “I mean like, was it anything beyond friends? You know, sparks…”

Eunji smiled and shook her head. “We connected, definitely. But it was more like brothers.” She laughed. “Actually, with Hakyeon it was probably sisters!”

Jaehwan mirrored her smile. “Really?”

Eunji nodded. She reached over to squeeze Jaehwan’s hand. “Don’t worry, okay? Trust me.”

Jaehwan turned his palm over to interlink their fingers. He shook his head. “I was not worried about that." He paused. "It’s just, when we do decide to tell our members about this,” he lifted up their linked hands to emphasize his point, “I didn’t want there to be any awkwardness. Especially with my hyungs.”

Eunji gazed at him affectionately. She reached over with her free hand and pushed his fringe away from his brows. “I love how you care so much for your members,” she told him softly. “You don’t show it, but your little actions do. And it just makes me fall in love with you so much more,” she admitted.

Jaehwan blushed as he smiled. He captured her hand and clasped both of them in his. “I love you,” he replied simply, looking deep into her eyes.

Her response was a gentle kiss on his lips - sweet, light, but oh so meaningful.

 

-----

AN: More sweetness and fluffiness!